Skip navigation
Currently Being Moderated

Photoshop crashes when dragging a layer

Apr 12, 2009 8:34 PM

Hello,

I've been having an intermittent issue with dragging layers.  in the layers pallet - ps crashes

It was doing this in CS3, and the started in CS4. Here's part of the crash report -

Thread 0 Crashed:

0   com.apple.QD                  0x9129a288 PRBXPatXorRunMask + 308

1   com.apple.QD                  0x912724a0 DevFrameRect + 568

2   com.apple.QD                  0x91272250 FrameRect + 48

3   com.adobe.Photoshop           0x006fe82c 0x1000 + 7329836

4   com.adobe.Photoshop           0x006f5eb8 0x1000 + 7294648

5   com.adobe.Photoshop           0x00451190 0x1000 + 4522384

6   com.adobe.Photoshop           0x0008d238 0x1000 + 574008

7   com.adobe.Photoshop           0x0008d7fc 0x1000 + 575484

8   com.adobe.Photoshop           0x0008099c 0x1000 + 522652

9   com.adobe.Photoshop           0x0008d034 0x1000 + 573492

10  com.adobe.Photoshop           0x0007fab0 0x1000 + 518832

11  com.adobe.Photoshop           0x000828d0 0x1000 + 530640

12  com.adobe.Photoshop           0x00082b54 0x1000 + 531284

13  com.adobe.Photoshop           0x0084500c 0x1000 + 8667148

14  com.adobe.Photoshop           0x0007fe58 0x1000 + 519768

15  com.adobe.Photoshop           0x002c26d4 0x1000 + 2889428

16  com.adobe.Photoshop           0x002c2b0c 0x1000 + 2890508

17  com.adobe.Photoshop           0x00003d78 0x1000 + 11640

18  com.adobe.Photoshop           0x00003a7c 0x1000 + 10876

I'm running this on a 10.5.6ppc machine.

Thanks.

PS. Anyone having issues with this forum software? I was running spell check and got this big blank box covering up a bunch of the message area.

Replies 1 2 3 4 Previous Next
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Apr 13, 2009 2:13 PM   in reply to /forrest/

you have not supplied any useful info.

|
    Mark as:
    Apr 13, 2009 6:09 PM   in reply to /forrest/

the machine you are using? the amount of RAM you have? how much of it is being used by PS?

do you have this problem in a new user?

|
    Mark as:
  • Ramón G Castañeda
    11,247 posts
    Jul 27, 2006
    Apr 13, 2009 6:14 PM   in reply to /forrest/

Please read this post by a forum host for advice on how to ask your questions correctly for quicker and better answers:  http://forums.adobe.com/thread/375816?tstart=0  Thanks!

|
    Mark as:
  • Ramón G Castañeda
    11,247 posts
    Jul 27, 2006
    Apr 13, 2009 10:32 PM   in reply to /forrest/

/forrest/ wrote:

I was thinking the crash report would be helpful, but I guess not.

Few of us are qualified to read a crash report, but the Adobe engineers who do need the entire crash report, not just the few lines you pasted here.  Don't try pasting a whole crash report here, just make sure it gets sent to Adobe and/or Apple when the crash actually happens.

|
    Mark as:
  • Ramón G Castañeda
    11,247 posts
    Jul 27, 2006
    Apr 13, 2009 10:39 PM   in reply to /forrest/

/forrest/ wrote:

… I've got 4.5GB RAM, 2150MB allocated to PS.

With 4.5 GB try setting the allowance to 70% or even 80%.  Don't bother quoting absolute numbers, they change dynamically all the time, it's not a static figure.  You are just allowing (not allocating) Photoshop to use up to that percentage of available memory at any given time, after the OS and any other running applications have taken what they need.

More meaningful would be to know how much available space you have on your boot drive and whether you have a dedicated, physically separate drive designated as your primary scratch disk drive, etc.

|
    Mark as:
  • Ramón G Castañeda
    11,247 posts
    Jul 27, 2006
    Apr 14, 2009 8:49 AM   in reply to /forrest/

Perhaps I've missed it, but I still don't know which Mac you have or what exact version of the OS you're running.

(I would not venture any more guesses if you have a laptop or an iMac, or if you're running Leopard.)

|
    Mark as:
  • Ramón G Castañeda
    11,247 posts
    Jul 27, 2006
    Apr 14, 2009 8:54 AM   in reply to /forrest/

/forrest/ wrote:

PS. I do have quite a bit of experience with Macs and Photoshop. My post count here doesn't seem to show I've been here much... looks like after the forum change my post count reset.

Don't worry about the silly post count; I don't even see it—ever.  I have it blocked in Firefox for all users, as well as avatars, red status level indicator bars, points, answer bar, Top Participants and More Like This boxes, and all such nonsense.

Adobe Forums aaaa.jpeg

|
    Mark as:
    Apr 14, 2009 9:06 AM   in reply to Ramón G Castañeda

Ramón G Castañeda wrote:

Please read this post by a forum host for advice on how to ask your questions correctly for quicker and better answers:  http://forums.adobe.com/thread/375816?tstart=0 Thanks!

Ramon this goes to an error page. at least it does for me.

|
    Mark as:
  • Ramón G Castañeda
    11,247 posts
    Jul 27, 2006
    Apr 14, 2009 9:11 AM   in reply to Buko.

by Buko wrote:

Ramón G Castañeda wrote:

Please read this post by a forum host for advice on how to ask your questions correctly for quicker and better answers:  http://forums.adobe.com/thread/375816?tstart=0 Thanks!

Ramon this goes to an error page. at least it does for me.

Must have been a momentary glitch in your system, Buko.  It's working fine here:

Adobeforums xeff.jpg

|
    Mark as:
    Apr 16, 2009 12:00 PM   in reply to /forrest/

I can confirm that I have a similar crashing issue. It happens most often when PS has been in the background for a long time or when the computer has been asleep.

I have had this behavoir on 2 computers. One a Mac Book Pro and the second a 2008 Mac Pro (just a month old atm). 4gb on the MacBook Pro and 16gb on the Mac Pro.

I have just turned off Open GL and I hope that fixes the issue.

Sorry it is not more detailed, but I wanted to chime in and say I have crashes when moving layers in the layer palette as well.

|
    Mark as:
    Apr 16, 2009 12:05 PM   in reply to Eric Curtis

I just don't let my computer sleep. Sleep and Photoshop just don't seem to play nice. Never have really.

|
    Mark as:
    Apr 16, 2009 12:08 PM   in reply to Buko.

An interesting idea, but this should only be a stop gap measure, I am not a crazy environmentalist but I can not see having my Mac Pro with up to 5 hard drives running all the time sucking down electricity. I have some automated backup action happening at midnight so turning it off is not an ideal option.

|
    Mark as:
    Apr 16, 2009 12:17 PM   in reply to Eric Curtis

There's a difference between your hard drives spinning down and your computer sleeping.

|
    Mark as:
  • Ramón G Castañeda
    11,247 posts
    Jul 27, 2006
    Apr 16, 2009 4:50 PM   in reply to Eric Curtis

Eric,

I understand your position, but the reality is that letting the computer sleep can and does cause problems.  Blame Apple, but there's nothing you or I can do about it.

I just let the monitors sleep, never the drives or the computer.

|
    Mark as:
    Jun 16, 2009 6:11 PM   in reply to /forrest/

Ok guys, let's address the issue instead of going on and on about the forum semantics, searching, etc, and the especially unhelpful comments about how "you shouldn't do that," when we're talking about completely normal things like computers being put to sleep. It's part of today's workflow. It's like the old joke about the patient saying "It hurts when I cough," and the doctor replies "Don't cough, then."

____

Yes, forrest, I have had this problem as well. It's gotten to the point where I don't even like to drag layers up and down the layer palette, as a crash can occur. Like many, I save my files a lot, but it's still very frustrating.

I'm working in CS3 on a G5 dual 2.7ghz with 8 gigs of RAM, second internal harddrive used as scratch, Leopard (latest update, but the crash has occurred the release of CS3). Cintiq 21ux monitor. Level of Photoshop experience: since it was beta with the photobooth icon on my Mac IIcx.

I've isolated it down to a few things.

I think it has something to do with Spaces and Exposé, putting the computer to sleep, and how long Photoshop has been interacting with these elements. Does that coincide with any of your usage habits?

I really wish it would be noticed and addressed by Adobe, and I had hoped it would have been resolved in CS4, but I was really disappointed when I saw you had been getting the same crash with CS4.

I'm about to jump over to that package and this was one of the main "features" I was hoping would be removed!

|
    Mark as:
  • Ramón G Castañeda
    11,247 posts
    Jul 27, 2006
    Jun 16, 2009 7:18 PM   in reply to McMillions

McMillions wrote:

…the patient saying "It hurts when I cough," and the doctor replies "Don't cough, then."

Precisely.

You seem to be under the misconception that you're addressing either Adobe or Apple here.  You are not.

All we can do as users is to point to workaround and solutions that will save you grief.  What you do with that advice is entirely up to you.

|
    Mark as:
    Jun 17, 2009 6:09 AM   in reply to /forrest/

Just try to ignore the unhelpful comments folks

I don't have any third-party plugins installed except for a scanner driver

My best guess - its the scanner driver. I've used Leopard and CS4 now on probaby 8 different machines, in different studios with different setups - and I've never seen this issue you describe, of crashing when moving layers. More specifically 10.5.6 is fine also, I assure you. Never had any problems with Expose at all. Spaces certainly don't cause application crashes, although there are a few relatively minor screen refresh issues with this.

Also as a side point, athough not as likely to be the cause, make sure you have run maintenance routines INCLUDING scripts. If you have never done any of this before, download Onyx http://www.apple.com/downloads/macosx/system_disk_utilities/onyx.html

|
    Mark as:
    Jun 17, 2009 6:19 AM   in reply to /forrest/

Photoshop and ID do not play with spaces Chris Cox has stated this. It is something to do with the way Apple has setup spaces, so Adobe can do nothing about it.

|
    Mark as:
    Jun 17, 2009 6:28 AM   in reply to Buko.

They don't play WELL with spaces, true, its an interface redrawing issue only. Its a very minor problem, and is caused only if you have spaces ON and then, try to move from one space to another. Easily solvable by pressing the F key three times. But it certainly doesn't cause anything as serious as application crashes.

|
    Mark as:
    Jun 17, 2009 10:26 PM   in reply to Reynolds (Mark)

I believe you'll find that this crash happens only on MacOS 10.5.x, and not on MacOS 10.4.x.

I think it's related to a couple of bugs we've filed with Apple, and are awaiting fixes for.

|
    Mark as:
    Jun 17, 2009 10:49 PM   in reply to Chris Cox

Chris, that could be really helpful. I'm glad it's on the radar.

|
    Mark as:
    Jun 17, 2009 11:08 PM   in reply to McMillions
    I believe you'll find that this crash happens only on MacOS 10.5.x, and not on MacOS 10.4.x.

Well I take it all back then. Still not entirely convinced, because I've never seen this instability in all the months I've been running Leopard using CS4. On different machines too.

|
    Mark as:
  • Ramón G Castañeda
    11,247 posts
    Jul 27, 2006
    Jun 17, 2009 11:40 PM   in reply to Chris Cox

Chris Cox wrote:

I think it's related to a couple of bugs we've filed with Apple, and are awaiting fixes for.

Just another one in a multitude of reasons why I stay away from Leopard, even though I do have a legitimate install disc sitting on the shelf and a Leopard OS install on a partition of my fourth internal HD.

|
    Mark as:
    Jun 18, 2009 12:38 AM   in reply to Ramón G Castañeda
    Photoshop and ID do not play with spaces

Honestly beginning to look to me, more like Photoshop team not playing with Apple. More like that than anything else.

|
    Mark as:
    Jun 18, 2009 10:22 AM   in reply to Reynolds (Mark)

No, the most likely explanation is that Apple does not want to fix bugs in Spaces that involve any app not made by Apple.

(the more you know about them, the more likely that becomes)

|
    Mark as:
  • Ramón G Castañeda
    11,247 posts
    Jul 27, 2006
    Jun 18, 2009 11:58 AM   in reply to /forrest/

/forrest/ wrote:

then there's probably no hope for this issue short of buying a new computer and waiting for Snow Leopard.

Don't overlook the most obvious and prudent solution:  revert to Tiger on your G5.

/forrest/ wrote:

Spaces still saves me more time than restarting PS

????   Why would you need to restart Ps?

|
    Mark as:
  • Ramón G Castañeda
    11,247 posts
    Jul 27, 2006
    Jun 18, 2009 12:56 PM   in reply to /forrest/

Then go ahead and keep crashing. Or pay the Apple tax (get new computer).

Whatever floats your boat.

Personally, I need no additional features beyond what Panther offers.  I run Tiger only because CS4 does not run on Panther, but I have disabled Spotblight and the Dashboard permanently.  If I were forced to run Leopard, I would additionally disable QuckView, Spaces and Time Machine.

|
    Mark as:
    Jun 18, 2009 1:48 PM   in reply to Ramón G Castañeda

Ridiculous. People outright condemning a fine Operating System, they have no experience of.

Thinking this through again, I think these issues, and the bug that Chris Cox refers to, may possibly be confined to trying to run 10.5 on the older Power PC macs? I'm making the assumption, because this is the only clear difference between the posters setup, and the most of the machines I have run Leopard on. I do now remember using 10.5 on a ppc mac in April, and experiencing a few strange App crashes there, but  can't remember now what seemed to be causing these.

I guess if this is true, it does mean after all that Leopard is problematic for some

|
    Mark as:
    Jun 18, 2009 1:58 PM   in reply to /forrest/

Yes I have spaces turned on, and use it occasionally. Two spaces only. Like I said earlier the way to resolve the disappearing panel issue, is to just tap F three times. Very few crashes these days, only one or two on massive size files 2gig or more

|
    Mark as:
1 2 3 4 Previous Next
Actions

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)

Answers + Points = Status

• 10 points awarded for Correct Answers
  • 5 points awarded for Helpful Answers
  • 10,000+ points
  • 1,001-10,000 points