Skip navigation
This discussion is archived

New Forum FAQ

Apr 6, 2009 8:15 PM

Latest reply: Jochem van Dieten, Jul 17, 2010 6:41 AM
Replies 1 2 3 4 5 Previous Next
  • Currently Being Moderated
    May 5, 2009 7:15 PM   in reply to wes1

>Thank you, I guess I will live with it for now.

Whom are you thanking?  For what?  Live with what?

>I shouldn't have upgraded my laptop.

How is this related to the missing Adobe Audition forums, or to the New Forum FAQ?

Did you write the message on a phone while simultaneously eating and driving?

|
    Mark as:
    May 5, 2009 10:22 PM   in reply to TheodoreG

It's OK Theo, we sorted it out last week!

|
    Mark as:
    May 6, 2009 4:12 PM   in reply to adobe-admin

About the file formats allowed in the attachments:

I know Microsoft is the root of all evil, but it would be nice to be able to upload a word processed file  (doc or even rtf) without having to convert it to txt and losing all the formatting.

Also could the forum allow uploads from Framemaker files?   I wanted to upload a template file in .fm  format but the system would not accept it. The forum also does not allow mif so I had to copy and paste the relevent parts of the template into my word processor, then convert the doc file to acrobat, and finally upload it.

Thank you,

Marjorie Lynch-Freshner

|
    Mark as:
    May 6, 2009 4:38 PM   in reply to margielf

Your best bet there is probably to zip compress the file.

That should make it possible to pass any type file in, I think? (Haven't tried it, but I've used the trick before on other websites.)

|
    Mark as:
    May 6, 2009 4:40 PM   in reply to Eric @ MCA

Thanks for the suggestion Eric.

However, I would like to see fm and mif allowed in the attachment list.

|
    Mark as:
    May 7, 2009 1:08 AM   in reply to margielf

However, I would like to see fm and mif allowed in the attachment list.

Why not request all of the Adobe file formats?

|
    Mark as:
    May 16, 2009 12:27 PM   in reply to Mark A. Boyd

Thanks for the updates. (In the actual FAQ).

|
    Mark as:
    May 16, 2009 12:30 PM   in reply to Kath-H

From the FAQ:

Do widgets like "more like this" and "popular discussions" and "top participants" exact any performance hit when they are being figured out and displayed?

Reply from Jive Software:

No. In fact these do the exact opposite. If anything, they would be improving performance in the system.

I don't get that. Maybe they don't make things worse, but I don't see how they could be improving performance/speed. I'd still  like to see them gone.

|
    Mark as:
    May 16, 2009 3:37 PM   in reply to Kath-H

They don't appear until after the main page has rendered, so they must slow the overall response time down.

|
    Mark as:
    May 16, 2009 4:42 PM   in reply to John Joslin

Also, for me in FF 3.0.10 Windows with all customizations off, the page does not jump to the linked message[1] until after they appear - as you said - after the main page has rendered. I am not sure if this is due to waiting for the JavaScript or due to waiting for the images to arrive from wwwimages.adobe.com. It feels like the latter to me. But then, some of those images are used in the silver nav bar (Your Stuff, History, etc.) and those render far earlier than the boxes in the side bar.

And who but company marketing types or bean counters would ever want to know who the Top Participants are? Can't that data be restricted to specific access levels or user types - say, employee? I just can't imagine a case where a U2U...uh... user would find that information helpful.

[1] By linked message, I am referring to following a specific message link rather than clicking on a thread subject link. ie: http://forums.adobe.com/message/1968237#1968237

|
    Mark as:
    Jun 19, 2009 8:17 AM   in reply to adobe-admin

I can't figure out how to mark a question answered.

Spent too much time looking for the answer - hope I didn't overlook it.

|
    Mark as:
  • Ramón G Castañeda
    11,247 posts
    Jul 27, 2006
    Currently Being Moderated
    Jun 19, 2009 8:24 AM   in reply to bkist

bkist wrote:

I can't figure out how to mark a question answered.

I'm not surprised, seeing that you hijacked this totally unrelated thread too.

|
    Mark as:
    Jun 19, 2009 9:05 AM   in reply to Ramón G Castañeda

Sorry if I am in the wrong place - I thought FAQs would have the answer.

Anyway if you know how to mark a question answered, I'd appreciate your sharing that bit of information.

|
    Mark as:
    Jun 19, 2009 9:10 AM   in reply to bkist

When you originally started your discussion there was a checkbox to mark the discussion as a question. If you unchecked that box you will not be able to mark someone's reply as the answer.

If you left the box checked, there should be two links in each reply that say "Helpful Answer" or "Correct Answer". Click on one of those to mark the replay appropriately.

John

|
    Mark as:
    Jun 19, 2009 9:16 AM   in reply to bkist

You can only mark a question as answered if you started the thread, and if you specified it was a question from the beginning.

If that is the case you will see a 'Correct Answer' button available on every post but your own. Click it. This awards 10 points to the lucky poster.

Like this:

screenshot_03.jpg

Alternatively you have the option to mark your question as answered at the top of the thread when you go into it, without awarding points to anyone.

Like so:

screenshot_02.jpg

|
    Mark as:
    Jun 19, 2009 9:37 AM   in reply to Kath-H

Thank you John & Kath... now I see the buttons to click. I'm sure they were not there earlier as they are so obvious to me now.

|
    Mark as:
    Jun 19, 2009 11:11 AM   in reply to John Cornicello

John, I don't understand why I am suddenly getting all of these Emails. I

haven't posted anything on Adobe.com for ages and probably won't ever

again.. I am getting tired of all of this crap.

Wes

|
    Mark as:
    Jun 19, 2009 11:12 AM   in reply to bkist

Why am I getting these Emails. I never said I wanted to be contacted, unless

there is another wnorm.

|
    Mark as:
    Jun 19, 2009 11:13 AM   in reply to wes1

Email notifications are on by default. Yes, it's a pain in the arse.

|
    Mark as:
    Jun 19, 2009 11:57 AM   in reply to wes1

wnorm wrote:

Why am I getting these Emails. I never said I wanted to be contacted, unless

there is another wnorm.

No worm me lad... a veritable boa! mmmm.... you have been warned!!

|
    Mark as:
    Jun 19, 2009 12:07 PM   in reply to Kath-H

I posted once and have been inundated with Emails since. I am not upset with

you but the entire setup. One thing for sure, I will unsubscribe from

adobe.com. I can find any help I need somewhere else.

Wes

|
    Mark as:
    Jun 19, 2009 1:43 PM   in reply to wes1

Hi Wes.

I've deleted your two email notification subscriptions.

|
    Mark as:
    Jul 8, 2009 7:55 AM   in reply to adobe-admin

I would like to see an answer to how I can get the spell checker to work using English, rather than insisting on using the USA version. I am fed up with seeing the correct spelling of colour shown as incorrect....

|
    Mark as:
  • Ramón G Castañeda
    11,247 posts
    Jul 27, 2006
    Jul 8, 2009 10:27 AM   in reply to Pete Marshall

ambienttroutmask wrote:

I would like to see an answer to how I can get the spell checker to work using English, rather than insisting on using the USA version. I am fed up with seeing the correct spelling of colour shown as incorrect....

Good grief, Peter!

AAAAAAAdobe-forum-spelling-checker.jpg

|
    Mark as:
    Jul 8, 2009 10:36 AM   in reply to Ramón G Castañeda

Ramón G Castañeda wrote:

Good grief, Petour!

Fixed that for you.

|
    Mark as:
    Jul 8, 2009 11:01 AM   in reply to Ramón G Castañeda

Thank you for pointing that out. Along with the the "set region" that ADOBE says "Check this box, and we will remember your region and language the next time you visit Adobe.com" I note that this defaults back to USA every time I return. Is this just me?

|
    Mark as:
    Jul 8, 2009 11:15 AM   in reply to Ramón G Castañeda

Will it stick? (Test)

Edit: No it won't!

|
    Mark as:
    Jul 14, 2009 9:51 PM   in reply to Jochem van Dieten

jochemd wrote:

If I want to build my own AIR interface for these forums, why should I not be allowed to?

YES! Who cares if you're allowed, do it!!!

|
    Mark as:
  • Jochem van Dieten
    2,391 posts
    Apr 8, 2001
    Jul 16, 2009 6:55 AM   in reply to Ansury

Ansury wrote on 2009-07-15 06:51:

jochemd wrote :

>> 

>> If I want to build my own AIR interface for these forums, why should I not be allowed to?

Working on it, I just need Jive to provide one more piece of

documentation (or a bugfix for all the ForumService methods that use a

ResultFilter).

Jochem

--

Jochem van Dieten

http://jochem.vandieten.net/

|
    Mark as:
    Jul 16, 2009 9:09 AM   in reply to Jochem van Dieten

jochemd wrote:

Ansury wrote on 2009-07-15 06:51:

jochemd wrote :

>> 

>> If I want to build my own AIR interface for these forums, why should I not be allowed to?

Working on it, I just need Jive to provide one more piece of

documentation (or a bugfix for all the ForumService methods that use a

ResultFilter).

Jochem

--

Jochem van Dieten

http://jochem.vandieten.net/

Oh no, that's bad... I will pray to the Jive gods for your success.

|
    Mark as:
    Jul 17, 2009 10:39 AM   in reply to adobe-admin

Is there an automatic way to sign out from the Adobe forums when I close my browser (IE 7)? I can't seem to find one in my profiles or preferences.

|
    Mark as:
    Jul 17, 2009 11:16 AM   in reply to ElisaFnord

ElisaFnord wrote:

Is there an automatic way to sign out from the Adobe forums when I close my browser (IE 7)? I can't seem to find one in my profiles or preferences.

You don't need to... the Adobe forums have this special, unique, never-before-seen-system that automatically signs you out. Even when you're logged in...

|
    Mark as:
    Jul 17, 2009 11:40 AM   in reply to ElisaFnord

ElisaFnord wrote:

no elisa. if you want to log out, you have to do it at the top of the screen by clicking "Sign Out"  - it's in between the "your account" link and hte shopping cart. otherwise the stated timeout for hte store is 20 minutes, and for the forums themselves is 24 hours. although as jay said, due to the buggy forum software, that time can vary considerably... (shorter or longer).

|
    Mark as:
    Jul 17, 2009 11:49 AM   in reply to adobe-admin

great:

Jive: Goodbye Clearspace, Hello Social Business Software

http://siliconflorist.com/2009/03/09/jive-goodbye-clearspace-hello-soc ial-business-software/

Jive CEO Dave Hersh describes this new offering as the first new application category in business since CRM:

For our customers, SBS is the new enterprise category. The enterprise has been devoid of a new application category since CRM, and they see the advent of social software as the biggest change to happen to the enterprise in fifteen years. It’s now spanning every major vertical and the visionary leaders are seeing the gains that can be made by opening up collaboration and focusing on the people. This is especially true in a downturn, where throwing more money at business process software is not going to lead to huge value increases — you have to look to the areas where there is the most to gain, the white spaces in a company: the people.

everyone got that?

holy smokes i haven't read such a glaring example of business-techno-buzzword-babble in a long time! whee!

are we having fun yet?

|
    Mark as:
    Jul 17, 2009 12:25 PM   in reply to dave milbut

They've decided to pay attention to <drum-roll> actual people </dr> ? Brilliant!  And there they thought success in business came from making love to your spreadsheet

|
    Mark as:
    Jul 17, 2009 2:51 PM   in reply to dave milbut

dave milbut wrote:

For our customers, SBS is the new enterprise category. The enterprise has been devoid of a new application category since CRM, and they see the advent of social software as the biggest change to happen to the enterprise in fifteen years. It’s now spanning every major vertical and the visionary leaders are seeing the gains that can be made by opening up collaboration and focusing on the people. This is especially true in a downturn, where throwing more money at business process software is not going to lead to huge value increases — you have to look to the areas where there is the most to gain, the white spaces in a company: the people.

Hmm. Because...having your employees chat and spend quality social time together instead of working produces results? What the heck are they talking about?

|
    Mark as:
    Jul 17, 2009 6:22 PM   in reply to Ansury
    What the heck are they talking about?

they throw a bunch of mba worthy buzzwords in an announcement and the mba'ers at the other companies (like adobe) all nod their heads like bobble-head dolls and get out the company checkbook...

|
    Mark as:
    Jul 19, 2009 2:15 AM   in reply to adobe-admin

Sad!

verysad.jpg

|
    Mark as:
    Aug 15, 2009 5:06 AM   in reply to adobe-admin

Thanks for the email FAQ.

My recent test showed that words in angle brackets produce the following:

<!--[CodeBlockStart:43ae5a3e-879d-4cb0-b121-04fa073782ba]--><span></sp an><!--[CodeBlockEnd:43ae5a3e-879d-4cb0-b121-04fa073782ba]-->

whereas curly ones slipped through unnoticed. Para 1 of the FAQ ought to be amended to include angle brackets.

Once this FAQ is finalized, would it be an idea to put a link to it in email footers? Something like

> You can post a response by replying to this message, but please read the _email guidelines_ first to avoid problems. You could also visit the message page and reply there: http://forums.adobe.com/message/ .

There would be plenty of room for this if the 'This message was sent to...' line was eliminated ( ), along with the empty lines before -end-

Another good place for a link to it would be on the mailinglists page, either in the preamble ("Below is a list...") or in the About box.

Good to see that a uuencode message got through with characters up to &#254;  U2117 didn't make it.

Noel

|
    Mark as:
    Aug 17, 2009 1:03 AM   in reply to Ildhund

Second thoughts:

You can post a response by replying to this message, but please read the _email guidelines_ first to avoid problems. If you visit the message page  http://forums.adobe.com/message/ and reply there instead, you will be able to award points for helpful answers to your question.

Noel

|
    Mark as:
Actions

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)