Skip navigation
SkottieInOz
Currently Being Moderated

Many floating boxes

Jun 16, 2009 12:55 AM

Hi.  I am using GoLive 6.1 with OS10.5.7.  I am constructing website pages with multiple floating boxes (all working fine), but some aspects of their handling are driving me to drink!!  I can make the floating boxes visible by ticking the 'Visible' box in the inspector window.  This turns on the visible 'eyecon' in the Floating Boxes window, but the reverse doesn't work.  My problem is that if I close the web page and reopen, then none of the floating boxes are visible, and the 'visible' boxes are unchecked.  This is very annoying when you have up to 40 floating boxes!

Is there a preference setting which will make the window appear as it was when it was closed?

Alternatively, I can select all the floating boxes in the Floating Box window, but then there appears to be no way to make them all visible at once.

I would be interested to hear how others have coped with this problem.  Thanks,

Paul

Replies
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Jun 16, 2009 6:15 AM   in reply to SkottieInOz
    I can make the floating boxes visible by ticking the 'Visible' box in the inspector window.  This turns on the visible 'eyecon' in the Floating Boxes window, but the reverse doesn't work.

It wouldn't. The Visible checkbox in the Inspector and the "eye" column of the Floating Box palette (which is described as -- big clue here --  the "Temporary show/hide status" column in the online help) do different things. The checkbox in the Inspector changes the CSS which controls the initial state (visible or hidden) of the layer. This is permanent and affects both GoLive's document window and web browsers. The show/hide column in the palette, on the other hand, toggles the visibility of a layer while editing in GoLive and is temporary. It is useful when, for example, you need to edit a layer which will initially be hidden on a live page. You make it temporarily visible in the GoLive document window so you can edit it, but you don't want it to be visible when the page loads in a browser.

Hope the clarifies things a bit.

John

|
    Mark as:
    Jun 16, 2009 4:44 PM   in reply to SkottieInOz

I'm not sure that I understand what the main problem is, then.

If you mean is there a way of maintaining the temporary shown/hidden status for floating boxes between closing and re-opening a page, then I am not aware of any means to do that.

John

|
    Mark as:
    Jun 17, 2009 5:22 AM   in reply to SkottieInOz
    What I'm finding is that the supposedly permanent visibility (as shown by the 'Visible' box in the Inspector palette) is not being preserved when I close a page and then reopen it.  The boxes are initially all visible and marked so in the Inspector palette; when reopened in GoLive they have all vanished.

Ah. Sorry for being so dense. I'm not seeing the same from GoLive 6.0.1 on MacOS X 10.4.11. It might be an idea to find out if this affects any page in any site, or is only occurring on the site you are currently working on. Can you reproduce this with a new blank page in a new site -- as a control to try to determine the scope of the problem?

John

|
    Mark as:
    Jun 19, 2009 11:15 AM   in reply to SkottieInOz
    Next I attached the CSS style sheet.  Old problem immediately recurred.

OK. So the most likely problem is a more specific rule in the stylesheet which wins out over the rule written into the page through GoLive. I'll take a look.

John

|
    Mark as:
    Jun 19, 2009 11:17 AM   in reply to SkottieInOz

Can you point me to a specific page on your uploaded site which displays the problem in GoLive 6?

Cheers,

John

|
    Mark as:
    Jun 19, 2009 6:07 PM   in reply to SkottieInOz
    For the <div> entry, the visibility setting is 'inherited'.

This seems to be the problem for GoLive 6. I checked the page in GoLive CS2 as well, and there it doesn't cause the same behaviour. If you remove the visibility:inherit declaration from that rule, it seems that GoLive 6 behaves as expected. I guess it has to be put down to a bug in CSS handling in GoLive 6 given that it doesn't happen in GoLive CS2. I don't see any nesting of divs which would make use of that particular declaration, or any obvious side-effects when it is removed, so it may be surplus to requirements and you can solve your problem by removing it?

John

|
    Mark as:
    Jun 22, 2009 3:29 PM   in reply to SkottieInOz

Hi Paul,

It looks like it might be a GoLive bug as you say, but one that I can now easily live with.

CSS handling improved immensely between GoLive 6 and GoLive CS2. If you use a lot of CSS and unless you use the dynamic content features of GoLive 6 extensively, then looking around for a second-hand copy of GL CS2 might be worth your while -- even if you do use dynamic content with GoLive 6, I know a lot of folks who used/still use the two versions side by side.

John

|
    Mark as:

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)

Answers + Points = Status

• 10 points awarded for Correct Answers
  • 5 points awarded for Helpful Answers
  • 10,000+ points
  • 1,001-10,000 points
  • 501-1,000 points