Skip navigation
anne_stahl
Currently Being Moderated

DW CS4 'go to code' doesn't go to css code anymore

Jun 22, 2009 4:34 PM

When you're in the css panel and right click on a particular style, clicking 'Go to code' used to bring me to the exact place of that rule in the relevant css file. It no longer does. It appears to bring me to the relevant html code in the html source, but that's no use. Anyone any ideas??? I use this feature TONS and can't live without it.

thanks,

Anne

Replies
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Jun 23, 2009 1:59 AM   in reply to anne_stahl

I have not come across that problem before. The only Dreamweaver preference remotely connected with that is in the CSS Styles category of the Preferences panel (Edit menu on Windows, Dreamweaver menu on a Mac). Make sure that the option for When double-clicking in CSS panel is set to Edit using code view.

Quite honestly, though, that shouldn't make any difference to the way Go to Code works. It sounds more like a memory problem. If you have a lot of other programs running, try shutting them down. Also try rebooting the computer. If none of that makes any difference, the sledgehammer "cure-it-all" approach is to delete your personal Configuration folder. See the Dreamweaver FAQ for details of where to find the Configuration folder. There's no guarantee that it will work, but it seems to cure most unexplained problems.

|
    Mark as:
    Jun 24, 2009 5:09 AM   in reply to anne_stahl

I have just tested CS4 with the Preferences changed to "Edit using CSS dialog". Go to Code still works without a problem.

Now, I noticed that in the top, there is a new 'toolbar' with all the files that are associated to that document, and the css files were amongst them. I didn't like that, cause I want the CSS file OPENED when I edit it, so I know to save and upload the right file in just 2 clicks. I noticed that the css files no longer appear in this 'toolbar' - I might have attempted to change those settings.

The Related Files toolbar is controlled by the General category of the Preferences panel. The fourth item from the top is "Enable Related Files". Even with that unchecked, Go to Code works.

The only other edit I did recently is change the actual toolbar to exclude some buttons I didn't need (cut/paste/copy/etc...) so that buttons I do use all appear on a single line. I edited the xml and saved and it seems to work as expected - if it weren't for this 'go to code' no longer working.

Could any of my changes 'broken' this functionality? How do I undo them best?

It's possible that your changes might have broken some functionality in Dreamweaver. The way to undo them is to delete your personal Configuration folder, and let Dreamweaver generate a new one with the factory settings.

Now, it seems to only be happening when the css files are called from within an include... but that DID work before.

Yes, that's a difference between Dreamweaver CS3 and CS4. Go to Code does not work in CS4 if your style sheet is attached using an include. It must be directly linked to the page or be linked through the @import command by a style sheet directly linked to the page. If you feel this is a limitation on your workflow, please file an enhancement request to Adobe to support style sheets linked by include files.

Also, on further testing, when I edit the styles I get an error. See attached file. I bet these are related. I just can't seem to find out anything about it. Esp since HELP has disappeared.

I don't know anything about the error message. However, I can assure you that Help has most definitely not disappeared. When you access help in Dreamweaver CS4, the help files are launched in a browser, which should link directly to the online help system. Help has been moved online because it can be updated more frequently if problems are discovered. It also has a commenting system, where I provide most of the answers or refer them to Adobe if necessary. Even if you're offline, accessing Help should launch a local version of the original files.

|
    Mark as:
    Jun 25, 2009 5:06 AM   in reply to anne_stahl

David, once again thank you so much for your time... do you work for Adobe???

No, I don't work for Adobe. This is a user-to-user forum. I'm a Dreamweaver Certified Instructor (I teach at Highlander in the UK) and the author of several books on Dreamweaver.

I unclicked 'related files' in the general options, yet, they still show. but I'm ok to live with that.

You should have seen a dialog box that informs you the change takes place after relaunching the program. To my mind, turning off Related Files is a huge mistake, because it's one of the most productive features in Dreamweaver CS4, enabling you to work in your CSS files while keeping the page visible in Design view. Not only that, you can activate Live View, make changes in your style sheet, and press F5 to see the effect without needing to save the style sheet until you're happy with the changes. However, if you don't like the Related Files feature, the choice to turn it off is there.

A 'personal Configuration Folder' - where is that? I searched, but could not find.

Details on where to find the personal configuration folder are in this forum's Dreamweaver FAQ. I have now made the information easier to find by adding a direct link to in in the index.

"Go to Code does not work in CS4 if your style sheet is attached using an include" - this is a huge problem for me and my colleagues. We use this functionality 100s of times each day and most all of our sites use includes (as most professional, large sites do). The @import style has several issues with accessibility and seo - and subsequently, as best practice we no longer use it at all. This means effectively, that we can no longer use 'Go To Code' - which cannot be under-estimated. I believe Adobe is committing a major mistake by removing that functionality, as it renders other software more useful now.

As I said before, tell Adobe. I expect that enhancements will be made to the Related Files feature in the next version of Dreamweaver. By explaining the problems that it causes to your workflow, you might influence Adobe to improve the functionality to suit your way of working.

Help is now online. Ok, I finally found the help reference link on that page - thank you. On a different note, I would have liked for help to be available offline though.

As I said before, if you're offline, Dreamweaver should access a local version of the help files.

Perhaps you can point me in a direction where users submit functionality requests/problems to Adobe for future releases???

My previous reply contained a link to the official form (all you needed to do was click the words "please file an enhancement request to Adobe". Here is is again as a plain URL: https://www.adobe.com/cfusion/mmform/index.cfm?name=wishform.

Thanks again, you're a star!

Glad to have been of help - even if you didn't like the answer to your problem.

|
        Mark as:

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)

Answers + Points = Status

• 10 points awarded for Correct Answers
      • 5 points awarded for Helpful Answers
      • 10,000+ points
      • 1,001-10,000 points
      • 501-1,000 points
      • 5-500 points