Skip navigation
Currently Being Moderated

Building New Editing System - Suggestions Welcome

Jun 13, 2009 10:06 AM

I'm building a new editing system on an $850-$1000 budget. I already have hard drives and a great case. I'm going with an Intel i7 920 with either a Gigabyte EX58-UD3R or an Asus P6T. Anyone like either of these boards?

Also the recommended video cards on the Adobe Website look like they haven't been updated in 4 years. Anyone using one of the newer cards that is working for you without issue? I'm fully aware that the video card has little impact on editing speed. I'm mainly looking for a relatively modern, inexpensive card that will not give me issues. The Adobe site is recommending cards like the 8800 and the x1900. You can barely find these for sale anymore. When you do, you pay about as much as you would for one of the newer much faster cards. I don't want to get stuck with something that will give me headaches with Premiere CS4.

Also, I have always gone with Crucial RAM. Have any of you used OCZ? There is a bundle discount on NewEgg offering OCZ ram.

Thanks

Replies
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Jun 13, 2009 10:22 AM   in reply to Chuck A. McIntyre

Hi

Harm Millard has made an excellent and informative thread on this topic:

http://forums.adobe.com/thread/433549?tstart=0

/Ulf

|
    Mark as:
    Jun 13, 2009 12:52 PM   in reply to Chuck A. McIntyre

Two hints, in addition to the Guide Ulf linked you to. At the end of the guide is a link to my setup. You'll see I use OCZ, very fast timings as discussed in the guide. Second, I like ATI video cards. Have a look at the ATI HD Radeon 46xx or 48xx series.

|
    Mark as:
    Jun 14, 2009 7:03 AM   in reply to Chuck A. McIntyre

Charles,

Installing a CPU heatsink is not difficult, it just requires a steady hand and reading the installation instructions three times to be sure that you have everything right. Your choice of the Thermalright 120 is understandable (it is one of the top performers), but the different sites that do publish reviews show widely different and often opposing results because they use different measuring methods. That makes it a difficult choice. What lead me to the Noctua was the standard push-pull configuration. Don't consider this as an accusation you made the wrong choice. Not at all. In practice, you go for one of the best coolers available at a reasonable price, since the difference at reasonable overclocking is usually within 1 degree. There is not much difference between the top coolers, but a giant difference with the standard Intel cooler.

On the subject of the CPU I ordered, the crazy thing about the i7 920 is it will overclock and benchmark on the level of Intel's extreme version that will cost you around $1000, The latest issue of Maximum PC did a review of Thermalright's Ultra-120 eXtreme (air) CPU cooler and found that it outperformed the stock Intel cooler by a "shocking" 25 degrees at full burn.

Didn't I tell you in the PC Buying Guide?

The thought of ruining something during installation is what is giving me second thoughts about purchasing this highly rated cooler. I checked on youtube.com, and didn't find any home-made videos of someone installing one of these coolers.

The problem with that, is that it is so much dependent on the system components to be worthwhile.

I would be interested to see your Passmark results when you have built this system and compare notes. Can you post the components you ended up with?

Hope this was helpful and answered your question. That was the reason I posted this guide.

|
    Mark as:
    Jun 14, 2009 7:23 AM   in reply to Harm Millaard

Hi Harm

Is it this model of Noctua you have: NH-U12P SE1366? I have started out with the stock cooler from Intel, but I want to OC too after reading this, and want to get new cooler.

/Ulf

|
    Mark as:
    Jun 14, 2009 8:40 AM   in reply to Ulf Laursen

Ulf, correct, see below, although you mention the P version, which as such is not explicitly sold in the Netherlands. It is sold without the P in the type designation, but with two fans for the Push-Pull configuration:

PCResults.jpg

|
    Mark as:
    Jun 14, 2009 8:49 AM   in reply to Harm Millaard

Aaah yes - thanks Harm - I'll go for one of these babies.

/Ulf

|
    Mark as:
    Jun 15, 2009 8:52 PM   in reply to Chuck A. McIntyre

Congrats. Great system for an affordable price. Can you give a link to the Kingwin drive enclosure to have a look at?

|
    Mark as:
    Jun 16, 2009 4:40 AM   in reply to Chuck A. McIntyre

Thanks Charles, it sure looks nice and from my point of view the 3000 model looks even nicer, because, at least in my case, I could fit in 5 of the 3000 cages, giving me 15 hot swappable disks. The only question mark is the effectiveness and soundlevel of these rather small fans. You have experience with them, so what is your opinion on those aspects?

|
    Mark as:
    Jun 18, 2009 8:45 AM   in reply to Chuck A. McIntyre

Thanks for the feedback, Charles. I more or less expected that.

How is the build progressing and where are my points for helping you?

Seriously, if you need help during the building of your system, don't hesitate to call on me if you want to.

|
    Mark as:
    Jul 5, 2009 1:22 PM   in reply to Chuck A. McIntyre

Great to hear Charles, especially the around 8-9 fold performance increase. clap.gif

|
    Mark as:

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)