Expand my Community achievements bar.

How to read data from writable PDF Form?

Level 1

Hi,

I need some help for the web site that I am working on.

This is asp.net website. Client is requesting to provide writeable PDF forms on this website for download.

These forms will be downloaded by customers, they will fill in the required data on these forms save it and upload the forms back on the website.

Once uploaded we need to read whtever client has written in these forms and update in the database (SQL server).

I have been going through adobe web site and lot of other web sites to understand this concept (as i have never done this).

What I understood is, with Adobe LiveCycle designer and forms we can create writeable forms.

However I have not got any idea or seen any documentation on how do I read the data that user has typed on these forms.

This reading the data from pdf and saving into sql server, I have to do it in asp.net app.

Could anyone please help me understand how to achieve this.

Thanks a lot for you time.

4 Replies

Former Community Member

You can configure the forms to submit back just the XML data or the data as name value pairs....instead of the complete PDF.

Paul

Level 1

How do we do that?

Just to clarify myself, I am not putting any button on PDF to invoking submit action from PDF. I am allowing user to upload the pdf and they click submit button on my aspx page.

Are you saying that when user submits the aspx page there is a wasy to retrieve the data in the form of XML or name/value pair on this aspx submit? if so please send me some pointers/examples or let me know how to do this? Is there any additonal tools/software that we will need to buy from adobe for this?

thanks for you time!

Praxo

Level 4

In that case you'll have to use the ProcessFormSubmission service that Livecycle:Forms ES suplies to extract the XML data structure from a XFA.Forms PDF.

Former Community Member

You can put the submit button on the PDF and in doing that you can control what format to submit in when you define that submit button in designer.

paul