Skip navigation
Currently Being Moderated

Building a computer for CS4 - Input needed!

Jun 29, 2009 3:46 PM

I don't know a whole lot about building computers, but after enlisting the help of a friend, have come up with the following. (Newegg links are provided for further info/detail) Several of these components fit into the "this should work" category and I am not tied to them in any way. The goal is to be able to adequately edit AVCHD video.

Motherboard:

TYAN S7002G2NR-LE Dual LGA 1366 Intel 5500 Tylersburg SSI CEB Dual Intel Xeon 5500 Series Server Motherboard

CPU X 2:

Intel Xeon E5520 Nehalem 2.26GHz 4 x 256KB L2 Cache 8MB L3 Cache LGA 1366 80W Quad-Core Server Processor

MEMORY X 2:

Patriot Signature 4GB (2 x 2GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM ECC Unbuffered DDR3 1333 (PC3 10600) Server Memory

HARDRIVE:

Western Digital Caviar Black WD6401AALS 640GB 7200 RPM 32MB Cache SATA 3.0Gb/s 3.5" Internal Hard Drive

VIDEO CARD:

EVGA 896-P3-1255-AR GeForce GTX 260 Core 216 896MB 448-bit GDDR3 PCI Express 2.0 x16 HDCP Ready SLI Supported Video Card

SOUND CARD:

Creative Sound Blaster Audigy SE 7.1 Channels 24-bit 96KHz PCI Interface Sound Card

DISK DRIVE:

LG Black 6X BD-R 2X BD-RE 16X DVD+R 6X BD-ROM 4MB Cache SATA Internal Blu-ray Burner

Windows XP - I've read that there may be some problem with this and I need 64-bit Vista...why is this?

CASE:

COOLER MASTER Centurion 534 RC-534-KKN2-GP

FAN X 2:

Intel BXSTS100A Active heat sink with fixed fan

POWER SUPPLY:

hec ZEPHYR HEC-750DR-AT 750W Continuous @ 40°C ATX12V V2.2 / EPS12V V2.91 SLI Certified CrossFire Certified Active PFC HYBRID-SLI Power Supply

Replies
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Jun 29, 2009 3:53 PM   in reply to AndreiTarr

You might want to look at Harm Millard's ARTICLE on building an NLE workstation. He has also recently done several others on HDD setup, and 64-bit OS optimization. Were I building a new workstation, I'd have all of these articles printed and on my desk.

Good luck,

Hunt

|
    Mark as:
    Jun 29, 2009 4:50 PM   in reply to AndreiTarr

It appears you are on a budget. Well, who isn't nowadays?

1. Good mobo.

2. Good CPU, but do you mean 2 of them? Any chance of upgrading these to a higher clockspeed, like E5540 or higher?

3. Not good. With DDR3 you need at least 3 sticks to benefit from the DDR3 architecture. I would get 12 GB (6x2GB).

4. Nice disk for media. Not so nice for a boot disk. I would suggest a Velociraptor for boot (OS & pragrams) and at least 3 of these 640 G disks or larger for storage. Look at my guide about storage for setting up your disks.

5. Video card is OK,  although I'm personally more in favor of ATI (4870/4890).

6. Forget about a SB sound card. Use on-board sound. SB has crippled too many systems to be advised in any system.

7. Good choice.

8. I would opt for Win7 Professional 64 RC at the moment and upgrade after 10-22-09 with the official release.

9, 10, & 11. Case is a very personal choice. Fans may be necessary with the mobo and CPU of your choice, but in general Intel stock fans are not the best. PSU may not be the best choice. I'm not familiar with the brand and model, 750 W seems sufficient, but I suggest you also look at more familiar brand names. Have a look at some of the links I provided in my guides to see what are good PSU's in the various tests.

General question: Why go for a very good mobo with good CPU's but skimp on memory and hard disk setup?

I suggest you reread the PC buying guide and Storage guide, because you may well be better off with a highly OC-able i7 than with dual Xeons.

How to get the best from a PC? Some guides...

|
    Mark as:
    Jun 29, 2009 5:15 PM   in reply to AndreiTarr

I just checked the mobo info you supplied the link to and indeed it appears to have no on-board sound. If you stick with this mobo, you have to get an audio card, but then also check the slot layout on that mobo. Can you use a PCI-X card or do you need a PCI card? You only have one PCI-e slot, so you will not have the possibility of adding a PCI-e raid controller. Then there is no sense in getting a SLI capable PSU, since the mobo does not allow SLI. If you need an audio card, I would have a look at Turtle Beach instead of SB. Overall the mobo seems to be lacking PCI slots. You better consider what expansion capabilities you want or need in the future, so you will not end up in a situation where you just miss the extra slots needed.

|
    Mark as:
    Jun 29, 2009 6:26 PM   in reply to Harm Millaard

You only have one PCI-e slot

• PCI Express 2.0 x 16: 1
    • PCI Express x8: 1 x PCI-E x8 slot (w/ x4 link) 1 x PCI-E Gen.2 x8 slot (w/ x4 link)

|
    Mark as:
    Jun 29, 2009 6:58 PM   in reply to Jim Simon

Western Digital Caviar Black WD6401AALS 640GB 7200 RPM 32MB Cache SATA 3.0Gb/s 3.5" Internal Hard Drive

Only one hard drive is really not a good idea... you need a (large enough) hard drive for C: booting and all software and a (plenty large) second drive for all data

You do NOT want to partition one drive into more than one "logical" drives... that is still only one set of read/write heads, which is not good for video editing

|
    Mark as:
    Jun 29, 2009 7:22 PM   in reply to AndreiTarr

I have several 80Gig boot drives and several 100-or-120Gig data drives... swapping each as needed

How I do this is described at http://www.pacifier.com/~jtsmith/ADOBE.HTM

If you are going to have just one of each, the drive you now list would be good for data... with a boot drive "somewhat" smaller, something on the order of 120gigs or so

|
    Mark as:
    Jun 30, 2009 12:30 AM   in reply to AndreiTarr

Mostly personal preference, but also influenced by their clockwork accuracy in bringing out new drivers each month and the fact that there have been some problems reported with nVida cards lately.

|
    Mark as:
    Jun 30, 2009 7:09 AM   in reply to AndreiTarr

I also prefer ATI video cards... my 1st editing computer (read in the notes I linked) had nVidia, and Premiere 6 would only work with on specific driver

Any earlier driver and there were problems... ditto any later driver version

The computer I'm using now, home built, has ATI and it has always worked well

My next computer, most likely some time in 2010 after 64bit software is out and stable, will also have ATI, either model 4850 or 4870 (or something else, depending on what is available a year from now)

I'm in no particular rush... current computer is slow (I start a DVD render before I go to bed, the .ISO is ready in the morning) but works well, so I'm going to wait until Win7 64bit and CS5? 64bit are well tested

|
    Mark as:
    Jul 2, 2009 12:57 AM   in reply to AndreiTarr

Absolutely, since it allows the Xeon 55xx series and these are much faster than the 54xx. If budget allows it, you could go up to dual W5580's and it has on-board audio, so you don't need that SB card.

However, it misses firewire connections, so my preference would be the X8DA3. This mobo has a better placement of the PCI-e slots as well as more memory slots, PCI slots, plus two firewire connections and on-board audio. Look here: http://supermicro.com/products/motherboard/QPI/5500/X8DA3.cfm

Both video cards are good. Take the one where you get the best deal.

|
    Mark as:
    Jul 2, 2009 1:05 AM   in reply to AndreiTarr

Just a ? on the RAM

Should he look for a pack of 6 so they are from the same lot :?

Or does it not matter since that board uses 3 sticks for each core ?

Just a ?

Maybe Harm or someone else can answer.

|
    Mark as:
    Jul 2, 2009 1:21 AM   in reply to Powered by Design

The memory is sold in kits. He needs two kits of 3 x 2 GB to get to 12 GB total.

|
    Mark as:

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)