• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Multiple web roots in CF Developer version?

Contributor ,
Jun 30, 2009 Jun 30, 2009

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Due to the fact that our development server is three CF versions behind our live server (6.0 vs 8.0), I've decided to install the CF8 Developer version locally.

My only problem is that I need to have two separate web roots - one for our Internet pages and one for our Intranet pages.  On our development server we have /root/inter and root/staff with each being it's own web root, but when I try to do this on my local CF, all my includes fail because it sees this:

localhost:8500/inter/mydir

when it should see:

localhost:8500/mydir

Is there any way to have two separate webroots in CF Dev version?

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Valorous Hero , Jun 30, 2009 Jun 30, 2009

ColdFusion "The Application Server" does not care about web roots, it will use whatever web root the web server tell it to use.

ColdFusion "The Built In Web Server" that can be used if one chooses, is a very basic web server and it does not allow multiple web sites.

There is nothing preventing you from using any other web server you care to install on your development machine and use with your developer's version of the ColdFusion Application Server.  If you are going free, though, the only web se

Votes

Translate

Translate
Valorous Hero ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

ColdFusion "The Application Server" does not care about web roots, it will use whatever web root the web server tell it to use.

ColdFusion "The Built In Web Server" that can be used if one chooses, is a very basic web server and it does not allow multiple web sites.

There is nothing preventing you from using any other web server you care to install on your development machine and use with your developer's version of the ColdFusion Application Server.  If you are going free, though, the only web server that allows for multiple web sites is Apache.  The IIS that you would install on a normal workstation version of Windows also does not support multiple web sites.

So, in other words, to do what you want you either need to install Apache, or have a workstation that is running a "Server" Windows Operating system so that you can create multiple web sites.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I had the same problem, I develop multiple sites, and would like to run muliple developer sites.

Here is what I done.

1. installed and configured apache web server. if you need the configuration help I can do that too.

2. install CF8 to configure with a web server instead of the built in server.

when you are developing a site, you will go to something like http://localhost:8701 for one site and http://localhost:8702 for another site.

You can use IIS, or apache, we use IIS7 for our production, but for my development environment, I use apache.

I also set up my environment with a icon on my desktop to turn on my services and turn them off.

I batch process ->> ColdFusion 8, Apache web server, and MySQL 5.

This I think is the best way to go forward.

just my 2 cents worth.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Valorous Hero ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LinkMc wrote:

You can use IIS, or apache, we use IIS7 for our production, but for my development environment, I use apache.

It is important to know that the versions of IIS that come on desktop systems like XP or Vista do not support multiple web sites.  Only the IIS that comes on Window "Server" operation system, I.E. Server 2000, 2003, 2008 allow for multiple web sites.

So for a desktop work station, Apache is the main 'free' web server that will allow for multiple web sites.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

this is nice to know, I didn't know this.. I knew that crappy PWS, I think that is what was called, would only allow a single site, but I thought all IIS was completely wide open.

thanks for the info Ian

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Contributor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Thanks for all the helpful replies.

I've decided to just set up the Internet site on my local machine, since 95% of my CF work will be for that.

Unfortunately, our workstations are almost totally locked down, so I need to get temporary admin rights to install anything, and once installed, anything not on "the list" will generate a report and someone will come and remove it.  I doubt I'd be allowed to keep Apache, so I'm stuck with whatever comes with XP Pro.

However, at home I have Apache installed on my Linux machine (I have CF8 installed on that too now) so I'll follow the advice for setting up multiple sits on that.

Thanks!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Resources
Documentation