Skip navigation
Kajungi
Currently Being Moderated

Illustrator CS2 Memory Allocation Issue

Jun 30, 2009 8:28 PM

I have a client who uses illustrator cs2 and whenever anyone uses illustrator to open enough files to cause illustrator.exe to consume 750mb of ram "through task manager" it says "An unknown error has occured"

Now i have tested this on around 6 different computers all with varying specs everyone with at least 2gb of ram and all core2duo or better and the problem is consistant across the board, i have searched through almost every google search possible relating to this issue with no avail, the issue does not persist in photoshop cs2 and you cannot directly allocate more ram to illustrator, i have also made changes to the page file making it up to 3 times as big as max memory. It seems to be some limitation of the memory that can be used by illustrator. Could anyone who has experienced such a problem or has illustrator and can try opening enough files to reach a peak of around 750mb mem use see if they experience the same issue.

The file sizes they are opening are only around 5mb but once opened consume around 300mb of mem. At this stage they dont want to upgrade to cs4 until there is some proof that this is indeed a limitation of cs2.

Any help would be much appreciated.

Cheers

Replies
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Jun 30, 2009 11:11 PM   in reply to Kajungi

No idea. How many files are we actually talking about? You know, it could be utterly unrealted to the size and content of the files, but rather their number as each of them wil lrequire its own window instance. Therefore this could be just as well a general limitation in the OS' drawing routines used for this,m especially CS2. AFAIK know, AI does not use a dedicated memory manager like Photoshop does, so this could also be a combination of different circumstances also based on the OS' generic memory management... Hard to tell. Anyway, CS4 offers a trial, so why not try this at least on one of their machines?

Mylenium

|
    Mark as:
    Jul 2, 2009 4:23 AM   in reply to Kajungi

File size does not mean anything. AI being vector based, a small file could still contain hundreds of parametric elements that onlybegin to consume serious reesources, once they are evaluted calculated for previewing. This in particular pertains to heavy use of transparencies and color blending operations. conversely, files with embedded bitmap images may not further chew up RAM, as they already contain all pixels as "baked" data. Specific to your client's problem, you may wish to check their network. If we are talking only about 3 files open at a time, a good candidate for delays are linked external files. Furthermore, similar to this issue, it may be worthwile to investigate how many people or applications are actually accessing a given set of files. If they are a sizeable shop, they definitely should run mirroring and per-file replication on their server to reduce loads. Even small files can drag down performance, if 20 or more people are keeping it open at the same time....

Mylenium

|
    Mark as:
    Jul 2, 2009 7:50 AM   in reply to Kajungi

What can happen is that they have some fonts that a dubious and are causing the font data basis to grow and the cache that these font databases use can bottle neck the bus  and regardless of the system you have Illustrator can do nothing about it.

So the error. Ask them to create a new user and see if it happens there I know you ay you have tried it on a number of systems and it is consistent.

When issued CS 2 I had a G3 and had no problems opening more than three files some of them had a multitude of paths but were not large in size.
    I was also running photoshop at the same time so I am thinking that if you are the iT perhaps you did the installation of the system and the software and of course the fonts and perhaps they are all consistent and so is the problem?

I am looking for a constant and you would actually know better than I if there is a constant to look at so tell us more?

|
    Mark as:

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)

Answers + Points = Status

• 10 points awarded for Correct Answers
  • 5 points awarded for Helpful Answers
  • 10,000+ points
  • 1,001-10,000 points
  • 501-1,000 points
  • 5-500 points