Skip navigation
Currently Being Moderated

Can I rename all my files without a nervous breakdown?

Jun 23, 2009 10:02 AM

Most of the files on the Web site I am redoing, have names that use Caps. Example:
ArticleAgencyIn.html

ServicesExec2.html

There are about 40 such pages. Can I rename them, for example this way?

articleagencyin.html

servicesexec,html

I suspect I can rename them any way I want and nothing bad will happen. Links will be renamed as well. Anything I need

to know,
to do,
to be warned about?

As always, thank you.

Replies
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Jun 23, 2009 12:47 PM   in reply to larry red miller

As long as you work within you sitefile/folder ther shud be no problem, if you worri take a backup bfor and test by changin one or two filenames

|
    Mark as:
    Jun 23, 2009 12:58 PM   in reply to Jesper G. O. Møller

Mac or Windows? One or the other will rename it right back, can't remember which - I stick to lower case throughout after being burned like that. Come to think of it, I use Macs so watch out if you do!

Try just one, a page with very few links, to start with.

|
    Mark as:
    Jun 23, 2009 1:16 PM   in reply to Kath-H

Kath-H wrote:

Mac or Windows? One or the other will rename it right back, can't remember which - I stick to lower case throughout after being burned like that. Come to think of it, I use Macs so watch out if you do!

Try just one, a page with very few links, to start with.

That i have never seen happen... and im on a mac to

|
    Mark as:
    Jun 23, 2009 5:44 PM   in reply to larry red miller

If the Make URLs Case Sensitive option is set in the URL Handling settings for the site, then changing the file name in GoLive's site window should also throw a dialogue to update the link(s) to the file to match. What happens at the file system level depends on the file system, OS and version. If you end up with a mismatch in case between the filename and the link reference to it, what happens will depend on the server you are using to serve the site and the file system, OS and OS version the server uses.

John

|
    Mark as:
    Jun 26, 2009 11:31 AM   in reply to larry red miller

larry red miller wrote:

A follow-up question:

Sometimes I see a link from Page X coming in, and a second link from Page X coming in. Is that a technical error in GL? Or doers it mean that I have more than 1 link to the page I am renaming from Page X?

Not shure i understand the question but...

In the in and out link you see pages that links to that page on the left side ... and to the right youll se what resources/pages that side is using/linking to ...

If you mous over the pages/links youll get a note in the left coner with the url to the file you pointing at .

At the right youll also se component/templates/smartobject and so you ar using. A () at the end of the hover note wiil tell you that

If you see more that one image file (or other) that shud be the same, at the right side. it may be that you have that file 2 difrent places in you site and are using both... or it cud be a link to a component/smartobject or similar...

Hover over the link files shud help you figure taht out

|
    Mark as:
    Jul 1, 2009 1:06 PM   in reply to larry red miller

larry red miller wrote:

> If you mous over the pages/links youll get a note in the left coner with the url to the file you pointing at

Thanks, did not know that. But some of those files are in the Site Trash. Not sure how to delete the links. Maybe I have to delete those files by taking them from Site Trash into the Finder Trash. What do you suggest?

If you have links in you site pointing to files in the trash, you will need to relink those to files in the site. File in the trash will not be oploade when you upload you site to the server...

What might have happen is that you at some time may have deleted or moved those file to the trash wile they still is in use.

Ther are severel fixe you can do ...

First... are you haveing the files in the trash in another version/copi in the site folde ?? ...

if so you can use the lasso tool to relink those link to the version of the files in the site...

ore you can move them back into the site by simply draging them frome the trash to the site window

You can simply empty the trash and there after look at the site to see wher and what files are missing and redo them (You can make a bakeup of the trash by taking a kopy of the "site trash" folde its in the site.data folder)

When looking at files in the site window you can see a litle black dot in the "used" colum  ... that dot indicates if the image and file is link to (In use) by other some file (You may have to expand the window or scroll right to se the "used" colum) , this can be a great help when trying to find out if a image/file are in use

Be aware that some file/image may not show up as used if those used by a script or for some reson is not link to direktly by a url. GL tels you with the dot that ther somewear in the site is a url to that file

|
    Mark as:
    Jul 1, 2009 1:45 PM   in reply to Jesper G. O. Møller

I'd have the site window open, but click out into the Finder, and pull all the files out of the site trash onto the desktop. When you click back on the site window, if you get an attack of measles everywhere - red error blobs - you need those files. Highlighting the errors that show up should show you what is calling for those files. don't panic - you can always put them back

|
    Mark as:

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)

Answers + Points = Status

• 10 points awarded for Correct Answers
  • 5 points awarded for Helpful Answers
  • 10,000+ points
  • 1,001-10,000 points
  • 501-1,000 points
  • 5-500 points