Skip navigation
Arjan_Scholten_Muntz-MCG
Currently Being Moderated

how to export indesign layers to photoshop layers (same structure)

Jul 2, 2009 1:28 AM

how can I export all individual layers in indesign to a photoshop file with the same layer structure?

is there a script you can use?

thanks

Replies 1 2 3 Previous Next
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Jul 2, 2009 1:47 AM   in reply to Arjan_Scholten_Muntz-MCG

You would need to have one layer on at a time in InDesign.

Then copy and paste the objects into photoshop.

They will be grouped as Smart Objects. As these can be resized in photoshop to virtually any size without distortion, Smart Objects will become raster on output, at the resolution you set the file to. So if you make a new document that's 72 dpi, then the smart objects will output at that res.

If you have text, you will need to to highlight the text in InDesign and copy and paste it into a text layer in Photoshop. It will lose formatting like bold, italics etc.

But you can copy and paste it into Photoshop - including text, but it becomes rasterised on output. So set the resolution high if you want text to be good.

You can export the File from InDesign to jpg or EPS too. Or Acrobat with layers in Compatibility 6 or above.

Why are wanting it in Photoshop? If we understood what you were doing we might have a better solution for you?

|
    Mark as:
    Jul 2, 2009 2:24 AM   in reply to Arjan_Scholten_Muntz-MCG

I have not been able to find a way to open a layered PDF in photoshop with layers in tact.

If you open an EPS in photoshop it rasterises everything, including type.

If it's just for wireframing a site, then you can use InDesign.

Here's a good read

http://indesignsecrets.com/indesign-for-interactive-design-wireframing .php

and some interesting links from the comments

A 1.5 hour video

http://vimeo.com/4068294

Some Templates

http://unify.eightshapes.com/wireframes/wireframes-preview/

|
    Mark as:
    Jul 2, 2009 5:04 AM   in reply to Arjan_Scholten_Muntz-MCG

What are you doing with the layered Photoshop files?

I think the more typical path from InDesign to Web would be to export for Dreamweaver in ID.

|
    Mark as:
    Jul 2, 2009 5:32 AM   in reply to Arjan_Scholten_Muntz-MCG

You can do it in either version. In CS3 it's under Cross-Media Export in the File Menu. In CS4 it's more obvious with a direct listing in the menu.

This is outside my normal workflow, but I can tell you that using this technique you get a folder full of images, the text, and a blank CSS style sheet, ready to manipulate in an authoring program -- you don't get a finished page. The key to success with this method is the religious use of styles for everything, including object styles which as I understand things generate div tags. I'm sure there's a lot more online and in the help.

Peter

|
    Mark as:
  • Rob Day
    3,122 posts
    Oct 16, 2007
    Oct 22, 2012 1:19 PM   in reply to Arjan_Scholten_Muntz-MCG

If you are on a Mac this Applescript will do it:

http://www.zenodesign.com/forum/PageToPSLayersV3.zip

The script exports PDFs of the ID layers and reassembles them in PS. In order to get the layers to register you need to include registration marks in the PDF preset you choose—the zip archive includes the preset I use. After running the script you can use canvas size to eliminate the crop marks.

|
    Mark as:
    Jul 2, 2009 6:06 AM   in reply to Peter Spier

FYI

Commonly people wireframe sites in Photoshop, Illustrator, Fireworks etc. and hand it over to coders who will turn the wireframe into an active functional site.

Going the Dreamweaver route would require the user to be extra efficient with the design in InDesign and to understand how to code.

Handing off what InDesign spits out as a code from the average user, this for coders would be a nightmare for them to work with, they probably would just start coding it again and dump what you gave them.

I know some coders who don't even bother with Dreamweaver. They lay it out as they like it. Then they sit down and hand code the whole site.

|
    Mark as:
    Jul 2, 2009 6:20 AM   in reply to Eugene Tyson

No question. I used to do HTML in Notepad back in the days when I did HTML.

I guess I'm not really sure what the layered PSD is doing that sending the text, images, and a PDF of the ID layout for reference wouldn't achieve. Just exploring the options is all...

|
    Mark as:
    Jul 2, 2009 6:25 AM   in reply to Peter Spier

Well as I said .. it was "FYI". Not knocking the idea, just for other readers who don't know why this is done the way it is.

|
    Mark as:
  • Rob Day
    3,122 posts
    Oct 16, 2007
    Jul 2, 2009 6:34 AM   in reply to Peter Spier

I use ID because it's simply faster when it comes to setting type and page geometry. Photoshop's typesetting is still a relative nightmare—with the script I can start in ID and move to PS as needed.

|
    Mark as:
  • Rob Day
    3,122 posts
    Oct 16, 2007
    Jul 2, 2009 6:54 AM   in reply to Arjan_Scholten_Muntz-MCG

You're welcome. I realized as I posted that there's no reason the canvas resizing can't happen in the script, so I've just updated it to include the canvas resize. Same address.

|
    Mark as:
    Jul 2, 2009 6:55 AM   in reply to Rob Day

Can it work on a PC?

|
    Mark as:
    Jul 2, 2009 6:58 AM   in reply to Eugene Tyson

Rob specifically said it was for the Mac using AppleScript. He said it worked between applications (InDesign and Photoshop) which AppleScript can do.

|
    Mark as:
    Jul 2, 2009 8:21 AM   in reply to Steve Werner

I know he said it was for Mac. What I meant was would it be hard to get it to work for the PC.

|
    Mark as:
    Jul 2, 2009 9:21 AM   in reply to Eugene Tyson

This seems like much ado about nothing. So someone prototyped a website in InDesign, but you usually prototype in Photohop, so you want to convert their template to Photoshop, just so the final site builder can recreate it for the third time in HTML. Have you asked them if PDF or InDesing are acceptable formats?

|
    Mark as:
  • Rob Day
    3,122 posts
    Oct 16, 2007
    Jul 2, 2009 11:14 AM   in reply to Scott Falkner

You might want more than a prototype. It would be reasonable to want the slices of the page that need to be as pixels in a well ordered and layered Photoshop file.

|
    Mark as:
    May 3, 2010 6:36 AM   in reply to Rob Day

Hi Rob,

Just wanting to say thanks a lot for the script. It helped me big time!!

If you have time, can you please answer these 2 questions:

1. Why is the colour different than if I export it to PDF and open it in Photoshop?

2. The registration thing behaves a little weird on my CS4. I must always choose 'High Quality Print', let the script produce a screwed up PSD, then re-run it once more with your preset. If I just continue using your preset for several times consecutively, the document size will be too wide or too tall. So I must use 'High Quality Print' in between pages. Sorry if it sounds confusing.

Thanks again!!

|
    Mark as:
  • Rob Day
    3,122 posts
    Oct 16, 2007
    May 3, 2010 9:36 AM   in reply to utzaki

Does the version you have resize the canvas in Photoshop to eliminate the crop marks from my PDF preset, or are the crop marks visible when the script finishes?

|
    Mark as:
    May 17, 2011 5:31 PM   in reply to Rob Day

i am actually trying to get the applescript code that will let me bring my pdf into Photoshop with the layer structure intact but the link doesn't work. Will you please repost it?

|
    Mark as:
  • Rob Day
    3,122 posts
    Oct 16, 2007
    May 17, 2011 5:39 PM   in reply to lulu355

|
    Mark as:
    May 24, 2011 9:54 AM   in reply to Rob Day

I'm currently discussing a better web design workflow with the programers I work with. Their preference is to receive PSD files to slice up, but without having a styles pallet in photoshop and a the ability to link files to the document simple client revisions become cumbersome and the size of the PSDs become enormous. I scoured all over the web and this script sound like the it could be the missing key to the puzzle. However, I'm running CS5 and I receive the error message

AppleScript Error!

Error Number -1719

Error String: Adobe Photoshop CS5 got an error:

Can't get document 1. invalid index.

Engine: Default

File: /applications/Adobe InDesign CS5/Scripts/Scripts Panel/Pages to PS Layers V2.scpt

I assume it's because this script was written for CS3, as it states in the readme. Are there any plans to update this for CS5? In the mean time I guess I'm going to see if I can scrounge up a earlier version of the adobe suite. Either that or hangout with the neglected child that is Fireworks.

|
    Mark as:
  • Rob Day
    3,122 posts
    Oct 16, 2007
    May 24, 2011 10:49 AM   in reply to isitwhenimtired

I've been running it out of CS5/10.6.4 successfully. What version of OSX are you running? It sounds like the file is never opening in Photoshop. Could you open the script in AppleScript Editor, run it, and then click the Replies button and copy out the error message?

|
    Mark as:
    May 24, 2011 11:10 AM   in reply to Rob Day

Thanks for the quick reply, I'm running 10.6.7. When I run the script it

looks like it's working at first. Two files are generated in the destination

folder before the error occurs and photoshop does open these files

automatically. One is named identical to the name of the document I'm

working on and the other is the same but has the prefix '11'.

I've copied the error message and put it in a .rtf for you. Thanks again for

your help.

Stephen

|
    Mark as:
  • Rob Day
    3,122 posts
    Oct 16, 2007
    May 24, 2011 11:46 AM   in reply to isitwhenimtired

I think the problem is with opening in 10.6.7. I'll try and post a fix later this afternoon

|
    Mark as:
    May 24, 2011 12:03 PM   in reply to Rob Day

Thanks so much, if you want me to test anything let me know, I'll be here all day.

Stephen

|
    Mark as:
  • Rob Day
    3,122 posts
    Oct 16, 2007
    May 24, 2011 1:58 PM   in reply to isitwhenimtired

|
    Mark as:
    May 24, 2011 6:40 PM   in reply to Rob Day

It work's beautifully!  Thanks so much for your help, you have no idea.

-S

|
    Mark as:
  • Rob Day
    3,122 posts
    Oct 16, 2007
    May 25, 2011 8:32 AM   in reply to Rob Day

For anyone interested in this script, I made a few changes this morning that should make it run a bit better. I've updated the script and readme at the original address:

http://www.zenodesign.com/forum/PagestoPSLayers.zip

It no longer asks for a PDF preset—it uses PDF/X-4 for the export. The main reason for using a preset in the earlier version was to include crop marks for registration of the layers, but the new version solves that problem. PDF/X-4 also makes it easy to match color between ID and PS—just make sure Photoshp's color Working Spaces match the ID doc's profiles. I've tested the new version in both CS3 and CS5.

|
    Mark as:
  • Rob Day
    3,122 posts
    Oct 16, 2007
    May 26, 2011 2:35 AM   in reply to Arjan_Scholten_Muntz-MCG

I'm not running 5.5 yet, but it looks like the PDF/X-4 preset has been renamed [PDF/X-4:2010] from [PDF/X-4:2008], so you should be able to open the script in ScriptEditor and find the line:

set myPDFPreset to "[PDF/X-4:2007]"

change it to

set myPDFPreset to "[PDF/X-4:2010]"

click Compile and save.

|
    Mark as:
    Jul 5, 2011 8:32 AM   in reply to Rob Day

Hey rob,

first of all: thank you very much for providing this script! Still, I got trouble with it and would really appreciate any help. I'm using InDesign CS5 and Photoshop CS5 on my Mac. I installed the script as told in the rtf. It shows up in InDesign. If I try to use it I get the dialogue to provide a folder for the files and pick resolutions, pages and color scheme. But then I get an error message. I try to translate it as good as possible, as I got the software in German. It says "Invalid value for parameter 'using' of the method 'export'. PDF export preset expected but nothing received.". I'm pretty sure this has to do with this line: "export document 1 format PDF type to thePath using PDF export preset myPDFPreset". myPDFPreset is set to [PDF/X-4:2007]. I tried editing this to [PDF/X-4:2008] as a 2007 preset isn't really available in my InDesign version but the same error occured.

Can you give me any advice?

Thank you very much in advance!

|
    Mark as:
  • Rob Day
    3,122 posts
    Oct 16, 2007
    Jul 5, 2011 9:04 AM   in reply to mckoenig

I just double checked the last script I posted with CS5 (not CS5.5) and it worked, so I'm guesing it has something to do with your German version.

Try making making your own preset starting with the PDF/X-4 preset and use it in the script, so if your new preset is named myPDFpreset then change:

set myPDFPreset to "[PDF/X-4:2007]"

to:

set myPDFPreset to "myPDFpreset"

Click the AppleScript Editor's Compile button and resave the script.

|
    Mark as:
    Jul 5, 2011 9:35 AM   in reply to Rob Day

Thank you, it worked! Great script, really!

|
    Mark as:
  • Rob Day
    3,122 posts
    Oct 16, 2007
    Jul 5, 2011 2:27 PM   in reply to mckoenig

You're welome, just remember if you move your version of the script to another InDesign you'll also need to copy or remake your preset.

|
    Mark as:
    Sep 15, 2011 10:41 AM   in reply to Arjan_Scholten_Muntz-MCG

Hi, Rob,

just want to say that what you are doing guys by sharing all those files and info is just outstanding.

Now to business...I downloaded the script and with a little troubleshooting it finnally worked great...there's just one more little favor to ask you guys with my case.The text layers came rasterized and I actually need them to be recognized as text layers since I would need to key off the info in them...is this possible with some extra preset modification or I'm just asking for too much already

Thanks for your time in advance, Martin

|
    Mark as:
1 2 3 Previous Next
Actions

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (1)

Answers + Points = Status

• 10 points awarded for Correct Answers
  • 5 points awarded for Helpful Answers
  • 10,000+ points
  • 1,001-10,000 points