• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

The best Codec for Premiere CS4

New Here ,
Jun 16, 2009 Jun 16, 2009

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am trying to learn more about codecs, but still having trouble understanding it fully. I have a new computer, so it makes sense that I need a certain codec to install in order to view my video as I edit on Adobe Premiere Pro CS4. My footage works on Windows Media Player, and the quality is somewhat Poor when I play it on Quicktime (but at least it works).

Now a few questions I have. First, does anyone know the best codec to use for Adobe Premiere Pro? I import DV files from my camcorder, and almost all of my video files are ".avi"

Also, I notice that the codecs are different for each media player that I apply this footage to. And I simply see instructions to download the correct codec. Well first I dont know which codec would be best for my setup, plus my second question: Once I do install the correct codec, will Premiere automatically know to use that codec? Or do I have to adjust a certain setting in Premiere to make the correct codec function? I could not see any setting that allowed me to change the codec...

Anyone's help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!

-Rick Phillips

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Rick,

The full-paid version of PrPro ships with and installs the main CODEC's that it needs for most work.

If you are doing the Capture from a miniDV tape-based camera over FireWire via PrPro, your SD (Standard Definition)  files will be DV-AVI Type II, which is the base for SD work in PrPro. You do not need anything else for this.

Now, if your Exports look bad, it is likely a setting in AME (Adobe Media Encoder). Those setting can be very important, as will the setting for your Project. What are you using for both?

At the Export stage, some considerations need to be made. This is where other CODEC's can come in. Where do you wish to play your files? Any particular player in mind? You choice(s) here will determine if you need any additional CODEC's. Most of the Windows CODEC's (WMV files) should already be on your computer, from when you installed the OS. Vista might need its CODEC "pack," from MS. Seems that some flavors ship without the WMV CODEC's. Tell us how you wish to distribute your finished files, and someone can help you with both your settings and with the choice of CODEC's.

Good luck, and let us know about your Project and Export settings, plus your intended delivery.

Hunt

PS - with the exception of the Vista CODEC Pack, if needed, I strongly recommend against installing any CODEC "packs." I also suggest that if one is going to be working with a particular CODEC a lot, that they find the true source of that CODEC and buy it, rather than go with a free version. Often, these are hacked, or reverse-engineered copies, and might not work so well.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you for the advice so far, as I saw in the tech support, I will not be installing any codec packs. I may seem inexperienced with this type of software, but that is only because I have never encountered any problems with premiere until now. I am actually very much experienced with premiere Pro and would love to use it again once I get this problem fixed

I only brought up codecs because the problem I was describing had everyone pointing me to getting the correct codec. Maybe you can suggest something different if I describe the issue I am having:

The video in my project is completely black. When I import or capture anything, it only plays sound. When I drag the red line along the timeline, it shows sort of a green screen, then when I hit play it goes back to black. Again, I can hear the sound perfectly. I have bought a brand new computer with all of the system requirements, and I had upgraded to CS4 from the 1.5 version (downloaded from adobe, not shipped). My old computer has the 1.5 version and it plays my video files perfectly, and I have compared all of the project settings; all identical. I have also tested my video files on several other media players, and the picture comes clearly through every media player I have tested, except for Premiere CS4...

So based on this info, do you know what could be causing this problem, if not a codec issue?

Thank you very much!

-Rick

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It might be a codec issue, but since you haven't told us which codec is in use it is somewhat difficult to tell.

You mention DV from a camera. From what camera, how did you capture in what sequence setting?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Rick,

As Harm points out, it could still be a CODEC issue. It is likely that the Imported video is something like an AVI file "wrapper," with DivX, or Xvid inside the wrapper. It would look the same as any other AVI file in Windows Explorerer, but it's what's inside that counts. Use G-Spot to "peak" inside that wrapper. it'll tell you the exact CODEC that you will need to install. Likely that your old machine had that one installed.

Here's what to look for:

G-Spot Screen 01.jpg

Good luck,

Hunt

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Rick!

Your friends, Hunt and Harm have hit the nail.  Hunt and Harm actually helped me out with an issue just recently, and they know their stuff.  So listen to them 🙂

Anyways, I had the same problem you're having until I remembered I forgot to install a codec pack that my capture card uses.  So I installed it and all my files were immediately recognized by Premier.  Before, only the audio would be recognized and the video would be black.  So your problem has to be a missing video codec.  Hopefully you'll find which one is needed and everything should be fine.

Good Luck!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Ah! Now I'm really getting somewhere with this G-Spot deal.

The render worked, and right now the video file is playing perfectly. The current codec used for it is:

dvds          Name: DVC/DV Video

I noticed when I clicked on System > List of Codecs, it shows  me a huge list of codecs, and there are several pink (problem) codecs that start with MainConcept (Adobe2). I did a search online for the very first codec that was encountering a problem, and I was about to install it, but I saw that the price for just that one codec is $99! would I really have to pay somewhere around $99 for each and every one of these codecs??

I would think that adobe should be able to provide all of the codecs required to function properly. That's like buying a can of Coke, and only getting the empty can. Well... I guess I need to buy the liquid coke seperately.

Bad analogy, I know. But I understand another person responded to my question saying that the purchased and shipped version of Adobe Premiere Pro comes with all of the necessary codecs to function properly. Am I simply out of luck with this?

Or if anyone knows where I can download these MainConcept (adobe2) codecs for free, I would love a hand with this. I saw some on Free-codec.com, but they only came in packs, and I'm currently steering clear of those.

Thanks everyone, I feel i'm finally close to getting my problem resolved.

-Rick

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I would think that adobe should be able to provide all of the codecs required to function properly.

They do.

But there is a better DV codec than ships with Premiere - Cedocida.  And it's free.  Google it.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks for the tip, Jim.

I right clicked the cedocida, clicked "install", and I 'allowed windows to continue", and nothing seems to happen after that. Is it officially downloaded now? I restarted my computer and opened Premiere Pro, and I see no difference yet.

Thanks

-Rick

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Which specific file did you right click on?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

When I look on programs to uninstall, the Cedocida DV Codec appears on the list, so I know that it has successfully installed to my computer. However I have restarted my computer a few times now, and have opened up Adobe Premiere Pro, and absolutely nothing is different.

Do I have to do anything with Premiere's setting in order to make this codec work?

Also, about these "MainConcept" codec files that are having problems on my G-Spot... These files are in my computer, with the rest of the adobe files, but they appear to be damaged...

Shouldnt Adobe be providing these codecs for me to use?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Jun 17, 2009 Jun 17, 2009

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Rick,

I would not worry about the Mainconcept warnings, since GSpot incorrectly interprets these, due to the fact that Adobe chose to put these in the registry in a slightly different way and Gspot cannot correctly identify them.

From what camera is your material and how did you capture?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have restarted my computer a few times now, and have opened up Adobe Premiere Pro, and absolutely nothing is different.

Thst'a a good indication that the problem is not codec related.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hmmm. You're right and you're wrong, Jim. Premiere does not use Cedocida or any other VFW DV codec. It uses its own (MainConcept) DirectShow filter to read and write DV .avi files.

There is something wrong: If it is truly dvsd (the OP wrote dvds, which I assume was a typo) then Premiere should be able to read the file with no additional plugins installed. But yes, Jim, it is not a codec problem.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Jeez... first I'm so positive it's a codec issue, then I find out that it is not a codec issue... But I still think a could be. my biggest problem now is I have no idea where to go from here...

The reason I still think it's a codec issue is because when I open G-Spot, and view all of my codecs, I see a huge list of them, and the ones marked pink (indicating there is a problem with the file) and allllll of the mainconcept (adobe2) files. And the with the description it says "File Missing" I checked the file path in my C-Drive, and I see the files listed there, and it is in the folders that had installed with Adobe Premeire Pro CS4.

So this makes me think that it is not only a codec issue, but an issue with the installation of the adobe software. Any idea of what could have caused this? Will Adobe be able to fix this??

I'll have my graphics driver info up in a few minutes (I'm retarded when it comes to some simple technical stuff...)

Thanks,

-Rick

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

when I open G-Spot, and view all of my codecs, I see a huge list of them, and the ones marked pink (indicating there is a problem with the file) and allllll of the mainconcept (adobe2) files.

This is true for everyone, not just you.  It is a false error.

an issue with the installation of the adobe software.

That part could be true.  Look first to the GPU, though.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The Graphics driver I have is the Intel(R) 4 Series Internal Chipset.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm going to try reinstalling Adobe Premeire Pro again (3rd Try now...)

Is all hope lost at this point?

Thanks

Rick

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jun 18, 2009 Jun 18, 2009

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have reinstalled Premiere Pro, and I am still having the same issue... After all the codecs and programs I have been instructed to download, there is still no solution to my problem...

Could it really be an issue with my Graphics driver if I am able to play video files on every single media aplication except for Premiere CS4?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jun 18, 2009 Jun 18, 2009

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Rick, like I mentioned before, I had the same issue as you when I first installed PPro CS4 ie. I could hear the audio from the video BUT the video itself was not showing in the source or programme monitor.  In the end it WAS a driver which needed updating.  May I suggest that you download something like 'Driver Doctor' (google it) or some other software which will scan your computer and tell you what drivers need updating.  Once the correct driver is updated, you will be up and running!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jun 20, 2009 Jun 20, 2009

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Ok, back from my break from all this, now time to get back to work. I will respond to everyone's post with the hopes that everyone will continue to be awesome and help me through this:

Glenn - I would upload a clip, but all of my video files are well over 5MB, and to do this I would have to recapture a clip, and spend alot of time making sure I upload it correctly, when i have already spent so much time trying to fix this and I simply do not think it is relevant at this point.

Harm - I'll see if I can get your questions answered properly. The only item under my Display Adapters is the Mobile Intel(R) 4 Series Express Chipset Family. I contacted HP about how to find out what my Graphics and Video drivers were, and all they could say was that they are all components of this Chipset Family.

I do not know how to determine which Codec Adobe is trying to use (or needs for that matter). And I have downloaded so many suggested codecs it's not even funny, I dont even know which ones are in use at this point.

The camera I am using is a Canon GL2 MiniDV Camcorder, with a firewire cable. These are my Sequence Settings:

-DV NTSC

29.97 Frames/Second

Frame Size 720 x 430 (4:3 ratio)

Pixel Aspect Ratio: D1/DV NTSC (0.9091)

-Lower Field First

Display Format: 30fps Drop-Frame Timecode

Preview File Format: NTSC DV

Codec: DV NTSC (will not allow me to configure)

So G-Spot will not properly identify the codecs that come with Premiere ProCS4... Then why in the world was I instructed to download it?... I have so many things to delete from my computer as soon as I have the solution.

Keano66 - I agree with you completely, I am positive that it is a driver issue. I downloaded Driver Doctor/Driver Detective (and paid for it, eeek...) and it shows that my graphics driver does indeed need to be updated. I have downloaded and updated all of these drivers, However Premiere Pro has not changed a bit...

But the reason I think it is a driver issue: I was instructed by HP support to completely uninstall this chipset Driver, and then to reinstall it from the HP website. So i did that and restarted the computer, and guess what? Premiere was FINALLY WORKING!!!! but then I had a different problem, all the icons on my computer and diplay settings were messed up, and I was then Instructed by HP to install updates to this driver. When I did this, all of my display settings were set back to normal, and everything seemed fine, except now, once again, I am back to square 1 with my problems on premiere Pro... Like before, it plays the sound, but not the video...

Any suggestions?  Thanks everyone!

-Rick

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Oh, it is most certainly a driver issue then.

Instead of using the drivers supplied by Hp< you may want to consider trying the latest generic Intel drivers:

Another thing you can try is to go to Control Panel / Display / Settings / Advanced / Troubleshoot and try dropping Hardware acceleraton down a few notches and seeing if that rectifies things within Premiere.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Rick,

Nothing wrong with your camera. It SHOULD work without problems, but as Dan mentioned, the currently installed driver is messing things up.

I suggest to make a restore point now, then download and install the latest nVidia driver from the link I gave you and try again. The problem with HP drivers is that they are usually way behind with updates and the newer manufacurer's drivers may work better. Nevertheless, it is wise to make a restore point in case there are specific alterations made by HP for your system and you need to revert to your old setup. Let us know how this goes.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Harm,

I am actually in the process of a full system recovery at this point (i'm now on my old computer), becuase many of these downloads were showing virus threats and one of them was causing Premeire to randomly shut down on me, and that was not happening before. So I figured it would be wisest to start everything again from scratch, and reinstall Premiere, and now I know where to address the issue.

That link you gave above, I tried downloading it, but apparently it is only for the Windows Vista 32-bit, and mine is 64-bit. Are you able to pull up a link to the 64-bit version of this download?

Thanks a bunch!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Here you are: http://www.nvidia.com/object/geforce_notebook_winvista64_186.03_whql.html

I hope this helps in solving your problem. Let us know. Points for correct or helpful answers are appreciated.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines