Skip navigation
This discussion is locked
Currently Being Moderated

CS5 For October Release

Feb 22, 2009 12:00 AM

I hesitate even to ask this here, but at our last User Group for Flash, one of the attendees mentioned that she had called a vendor to buy CS4 and was told to wait as CS5 was being released this coming October.

Most of us laughed but she swore that's what she was told. I Googled it and found only pirate sites, a site that looks like it's a humorous fake, and something called cs5.org, which had a screenshot of a splash screen purporting to come from CS5.

However, a couple other sites did mention in discussion threads the October release date. I'm still mostly incredulous, but I thought I would ask if anyone else has heard this? I'm not looking for some carved-in-marble guaranty. I just want to know if it's likely? I have little doubt they're trying to bring out 64-bit for the Mac as quickly as they can; it's a great company and that sounds like something they'd try to do. But, that has to be a Herculean effort, and the normal product cycle is about 18 months. I just can't believe CS5 is coming out that soon!

Anyone? Bueller?

Thanks,

Keith

Replies 1 2 Previous Next
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Feb 22, 2009 6:31 AM   in reply to keithdvo
    Highly, highly, highly unlikely.

|
    Mark as:
    Feb 22, 2009 6:56 AM   in reply to keithdvo
    Wanna buy a bridge?

Bob

|
    Mark as:
    Feb 22, 2009 8:29 AM   in reply to keithdvo
    Adobe doesn't pre-announce release dates like that. The user in question (or her vendor) probably just finished a half gallon of Liver Lime sherbet or Strawberry Buffalo Chip Swirl ice cream.

Adobe's product cycles have been every 18 to 24 months and it has been pretty damn hard to do a release in 18 months.

Go with your reasonable instinct.

- Dov

|
    Mark as:
    Feb 22, 2009 9:01 AM   in reply to keithdvo
    >he had called a vendor to buy CS4 and was told to wait as CS5 was being released this coming October.

Is that vendor willing to put money on it?

If, indeed, the vendor really knows anything (highly unlikely), he would be under strict NDA and couldn't say anything.

For the last several product releases, Adobe has been running on something like a 18-24 month upgrade cycle. With the current economy and layoffs, I would be surprised if there is a major release much before late spring 2010 or so.

But, you will see official notice of application upgrades and press releases at adobe.com.

Neil

|
    Mark as:
    Feb 22, 2009 9:04 AM   in reply to keithdvo
    >he had called a vendor to buy CS4 and was told to wait as CS5 was being released this coming October.

Is that vendor willing to put money on it?

If, indeed, the vendor really knows anything (highly unlikely), he would be under strict NDA and couldn't say anything.

As Dov notes, for the last several product releases, Adobe has been running on something like a 18-24 month upgrade cycle. So, with the current economy and layoffs, I would be surprised if there is a major release much before late spring 2010 or so.

But, you will see official notice of application upgrades and press releases at adobe.com.

Neil

|
    Mark as:
    Feb 22, 2009 3:00 PM   in reply to keithdvo
    keith,
    >Now if I can just fix my Acrobat 9 printing problem

Just wander over to the appropriate Acrobat forum and ask away...

Neil

|
    Mark as:
    Feb 23, 2009 6:24 AM   in reply to keithdvo
    Keith,

In general, printing from all apps is the same. Make sure your printer's latest driver software is installed and your printer is selected and turned on. Make sure that you've chosen the correct paper size and paper location (for multi-drawer or tray printers), and there is actually paper installed. Make sure that you don't have a print job cued up but paused or stopped.

Neil

|
    Mark as:
    Feb 23, 2009 11:54 AM   in reply to keithdvo
    Robert Levine posted:

Wanna buy a bridge?

Um... Can I buy a vowel?

Actually, this is not an unreasonable speculation. Apple is about to release Snow Leopard and Microsoft is about to release Windows 7. If Adobe doesn't capitalize on these releases, they're just plain foolish. Timing is right. I'm thinking 4th Quarter would be best because for much of the year sales may be dismal (for everyone).

http://www.informationweek.com/news/windows/operatingsystems/showArtic le.jhtml?articleID=214502390&subSection=Operating+Systems
    http://www.tomshardware.com/news/microsoft-windows-7-rc1-beta,7073.htm l

|
    Mark as:
    Feb 23, 2009 12:04 PM   in reply to mhollis55
    > Actually, this is not an unreasonable speculation.

Yes, it is. FWIW, CS4 runs very nicely on Win7.

Bob

|
    Mark as:
    Feb 23, 2009 10:17 PM   in reply to keithdvo
    Adobe has never timed their releases to the (unpredictable) schedule of either Windows or Mac OS X. Typically, they'll release free updates to accommodate changes in the operating system, but sometimes it takes changes in both the OS and CS applications to make them compatible. The problems with InDesign CS4 operating under Leopard are a good example.

|
    Mark as:
    Feb 24, 2009 11:15 PM   in reply to keithdvo
    > The problems with InDesign CS4 operating under Leopard are a good example.

Steve, can you give me an example? I am serious. I've been looking through the forums as I just got my pre-recession priced upgrade from Adobe today and I'm not going to unwrap it if it can't handle the brand new OS called Leopard...

|
    Mark as:
    Feb 25, 2009 5:02 AM   in reply to keithdvo
    10.5.6 has solved all of those problems. You're good to go.

|
    Mark as:
    Jul 2, 2009 7:38 AM   in reply to Dave_Breck

CS4 was designed under Leopard so it works just fine in Leopard.

|
    Mark as:
    Jul 6, 2009 12:15 PM   in reply to keithdvo

Piper Jaffray - leading international middle market investment firm, believes investors will start getting positioned for Adobe CS5 now, given the historical CS cycle peak multiple occurs 1-6 months prior to ship. Piper expects Adobe CS5 will ship in April 2010

|
    Mark as:
    Jul 17, 2009 12:51 PM   in reply to keithdvo

Yes, I heard it today when speaking with an Adobe rep on the phone. CS5 is set to debut in late 2009 or early 2010.

|
    Mark as:
    Jul 18, 2009 1:18 AM   in reply to jerseygirl59

What type of Adobe Rep gave you such information? Someone in Adobe Customer Support? They certainly have no information whatsoever about future product plans including release dates (they will know only a few days before any public announcement is made).

Assume the information that you were given is as bogus as a three dollar bill!

I would also not put too much trust in so-called financial analysts from Wall Street brokerages. They are guessing!

- Dov

|
    Mark as:
    Jul 20, 2009 6:22 AM   in reply to Dov Isaacs

Who are you?

|
    Mark as:
    Jul 20, 2009 7:40 AM   in reply to jerseygirl59

your ignorance is showing.

you could google Dov and learn.

|
    Mark as:
    Jul 20, 2009 7:45 AM   in reply to Buko.

I did; and I am not impressed with the hostility shown by both of 

you. Expected a friendlier group of professionals.

|
    Mark as:
    Jul 20, 2009 8:13 AM   in reply to jerseygirl59

My name is Dov Isaacs. I am a Principal Scientist in Adobe's print group, have been at Adobe for over 19 years, and do serve as an authorized, official spokesperson for Adobe Systems Incorporated. I do know what I am talking about!

I am sorry you did not like my response, but I am giving an honest, straightforward response to your comment: Yes, I heard it today when speaking with an Adobe rep on the phone. CS5 is set to debut in late 2009 or early 2010. I would be derelict in my responsibilities is I let your comment stand without being challenged. No Adobe employee is authorized to discuss product dates with you and given what you were told, it is clear that whoever talked with you certainly was not only unauthorized to discuss this with you, but certainly is not "in the know" - at best they were guessing and not too well!

As to "friendliness" of the response, I suspect that you might not be satisfied with anything other than either confirming the bogus information that you claim someone gave you or by countering with an official comment on the release date. You want it official? OK, Adobe doesn't announce its release dates more than a few months prior to actual product availability. Historically, we have released the Creative Suite applications and Acrobat in cycles ranging from 18 to 24 months, although there is no guarantee that we will continue to follow that historical trend.

- Dov

|
    Mark as:
    Jul 20, 2009 9:01 AM   in reply to jerseygirl59

jerseygirl59 wrote:

I am not impressed with the hostility shown by both of you.

I can't speak for Dov but you don't come across as all warm and fuzzy either. Could that be your problem?

|
    Mark as:
    Jul 26, 2009 10:03 AM   in reply to keithdvo

The financial analysts are weighing in with their predictions and setting Adobe share price expectations accordingly:

http://www.glgroup.com/News/Risks-for-Adobe-CS5-as-CS4-Upgrade-Gets-Lu kewarm-Reception-41679.html

http://blogs.barrons.com/techtraderdaily/2009/07/15/adobe-looking-ahea d-to-cs5-kaufman-says-buy/

The summary of these two articles: CS4 didn't meet sales expectations, so Adobe is under pressure to deliver CS5 to revive financial performance. Expectations are second quarter of 2010 for CS5.

|
    Mark as:
    Jul 26, 2009 12:46 PM   in reply to Mathew L

Real geniuses. Adobe has been on an 18-24 month upgrade cycle for as long as I can remember with 18 months being the rule.

Adobe has already admitted to lower than expected sales (along with just about every other company out there).

Hard to believe people get paid to make these "predictions."

Bob

|
    Mark as:
    Jul 31, 2009 1:07 PM   in reply to Bob Levine

IT'S TRUE.  I saw the hardware right here at this site!

See Adobe CS5

After seeing the site, please tell me that everyone here has a sense of humor?

|
    Mark as:
    Jul 31, 2009 4:17 PM   in reply to Dov Isaacs

Dov,

I too was told by Adobe Tech Support to wait until after SIGRAPH 2009 to buy an upgrade for Production Premium.  I was informed/reminded of the pattern Adobe has exhibited in the past about announcing new product at SIGRAPH and how release is shortly thereafter.

I don't want to pick bones with you.  I am merely stating that even Adobe Tech Support are in on the "hey, look at the pattern of when Adobe announces a new release."

What will CS5 include?  That's a company secret.

What date, as of today, will it be launched?  That is a company secret.

The product announcement pattern has been established by Adobe, and is clear for all to see.

|
    Mark as:
    Aug 7, 2009 9:54 PM   in reply to TerryLarsen

Terry,

We would really love to know who you were speaking to in Adobe Technical Support. We would likely directly have his employment with out outsourced technical support provider terminated for what he told you.

First of all, that person was not at all authorized to make any comments whatsoever to you in terms of when the next version of any Adobe applications will be announced or released.

Secondly, as you probably have already found out by the fact that SIGGRAPH 2009 has come and gone without any product announcements from Adobe that this person was dead wrong. For that matter, as far as I recall, SIGGRAPH has never been the venue for announcements of any versions of the Adobe Creative Suite.

Yes, there are patterns in terms of timeframes between Adobe Creative Suite releases, but there is no committment to follow such previously patterns. Furthermore, the minimum timeframe between such releases has been around 18 months. October 2009 is hardly 18 months from the last Creative Suite release.

I apologize on behalf of Adobe for the stupidity foisted upon you by someone representing my company as a technical support agent.

- Dov

|
    Mark as:
    Aug 7, 2009 10:35 PM   in reply to Dov Isaacs

Dov,

After re-reading my reply to you and recalling the conversation with the representative, he said, "After SIGGRAPH", not AT SIGGRAPH as I had previously typed. I compounded the error, and for that I am sorry.

I do not remember the name of the representative that helped me.

You have spoken well and established your point quite clearly.  Thank you for elaborating on the issue.

Thanks again,

Terry

|
    Mark as:
    Aug 10, 2009 8:15 AM   in reply to jerseygirl59

jerseygirl59 wrote:

Who are you?

Don't know why anyone would listen to Dov either, it doesn't matter who he is!

The people you actually should be listening to is the tech support guys!

Why are they saying it? probably to stop you wasting your cash on an upgrade.

I guess Adobe has already began training it's tech support ready for CS5.

For the slower ones, who won't understand why we shouldn't listen to Dov.

"No Adobe employee is authorized to discuss product dates with you"

"My name is Dov Isaacs. I am a Principal Scientist in Adobe's print group, have been at Adobe for over 19 years"

You see the contradiction here?

Any date you say, he has to deny i.e. LIE

You see, if average Joe KNOWS CS5 is just around the corner, he isn't going to buy CS4. Which further hurts Adobe's sales.

Isn't it ironic that the people who tend to sling the IGNORANT tag around tend to be the most ignorant.

|
    Mark as:
    Aug 11, 2009 11:16 AM   in reply to rhys612

rhys612 wrote:

jerseygirl59 wrote:

Who are you?

Don't know why anyone would listen to Dov either, it doesn't matter who he is!

The people you actually should be listening to is the tech support guys!

Why are they saying it? probably to stop you wasting your cash on an upgrade.

I guess Adobe has already began training it's tech support ready for CS5.

For the slower ones, who won't understand why we shouldn't listen to Dov.

"No Adobe employee is authorized to discuss product dates with you"

"My name is Dov Isaacs. I am a Principal Scientist in Adobe's print group, have been at Adobe for over 19 years"

You see the contradiction here?

Any date you say, he has to deny i.e. LIE

You see, if average Joe KNOWS CS5 is just around the corner, he isn't going to buy CS4. Which further hurts Adobe's sales.

Isn't it ironic that the people who tend to sling the IGNORANT tag around tend to be the most ignorant.

rhys612, et al,

I would suggest restraint in dissing Dov or Bob Levine or Adobe.  We are all students, consumers, pro-sumers and professionals.  In other words, we are all learning.  Some would rather learn bitterly, others would rather learn with patience.  It's a choice one has to make themselves.

After Bob and Dov pointed to Adobe's past history of releases, I did a simple Google search which revealed the following dates:

CS2 Released approximately April 4, 2005
    CS3 Released approximately April 20, 2007
    CS4 Released October 15, 2008 (From Adobe's 2008 Press Release)

I too was excited when CS4 came out, then frustrated when elements in Production Premium such as Premiere Pro (audio) and Photoshop (printing with Xerox workgroup printers) and Encore (stability) would not work as I expected.  Adobe has been reasonable in getting updates released to fix some of the problems (and introduce new problems in doing so), but it is clear they are working on resolving them.  Positive, patient feedback urges people on with greater zeal to develop better products.  Frankly, I have had more problems with Vista 64 Ultimate stability issues as I work with Xerox, Autodesk and Adobe.  The tendency is to finger point.  Four months ago, I conference called Adobe 3rd level support with Xerox software engineering and we all (including Xerox) determined Xerox was the problem.  Xerox is back at the developers table trying to write new workgroup printer drivers as a result.

MY WISH:  The products were stable out of the box.

THE REALITY:  The products are good, but need updates as users report problems.  Will CS5 fix all that?  Not likely, as the pattern has been the same for all Adobe (and any other company's) software from day one: release it and fix it as users file problem reports.

Why did the Adobe tech support rep I spoke with give me his opinion?  Because he had one.  Was it in line with the Adobe party line?  No.  I took his opinion, did not make a decision with it, but instead did more research.  That led me here.  Here, answers have been given by Adobe staff, not opinions by Adobe contractors.  Perhaps you would be content with their answers.  Then again, perhaps not.  That is your choice.

As for the purported release of CS5 in October 2009, only Adobe will let the market know when that will happen.  We can speculate all we want, but in the end, beating Adobe up or anyone else to get it out sooner won't do any of us any good.  Let's focus on what we can do to help Adobe create a more stable CS4 suite of offerings, while their development team works on getting CS5 feature rich and polished and stable.  Look at how long it took the market to become comfortable with Windows XP, and now corporations are hesitant to install Vista.  Let's help Adobe fix what they have out in the marketplace, so that we can feel like we do with Windows XP - it's mostly stable and usually plays with others just fine.

We have all had to work with similar challenges with other companies, like Microsoft, Symantec, HP, Autodesk, SUN, Xerox, NVIDIA, etc.  Patience and diplomacy perseveres.

All the best,

Terry

(Disclaimer: No, I do not wear Adobe branded underwear.  I have no corporate sponsored tattoos, neckties or cufflinks.  No, I am not compensated to endorse Adobe or any other company or product.  No, I am not compensated in any way to write my opinion anywhere.  My opinion is my own.  As a former product manager and executive in global telecommunications, I have learned diplomacy and patience get the work done faster than bullying ever did.  We are better people by being patient with each other.  Thanks for reading.)

|
    Mark as:
    Aug 11, 2009 11:45 AM   in reply to Mathew L

dsfdghgfhgfhhfhfg wrote:

The financial analysts are weighing in with their predictions and setting Adobe share price expectations accordingly:

http://www.glgroup.com/News/Risks-for-Adobe-CS5-as-CS4-Upgrade-Gets-Lu kewarm-Rec eption-41679.html

http://blogs.barrons.com/techtraderdaily/2009/07/15/adobe-looking-ahea d-to-cs5-k aufman-says-buy/

The summary of these two articles: CS4 didn't meet sales expectations, so Adobe is under pressure to deliver CS5 to revive financial performance. Expectations are second quarter of 2010 for CS5.

dsfdghgfhgfhhfhfg,

The www.barrons.com article states something many may have overlooked - an opinion by their analyst.

"Kaufman Bros. analyst Barbara Coffey ... notes that a new version of Acrobat could be released in Q1 2010, with Creative Suite 5 expected in the second quarter of next year."  That is Ms. Coffey's opinion, not a fact based on an announcement by Adobe.

Prudent judgement would tell us to be patient and wait to see if Adobe releases CS5 sometime in 2010 consistent with Adobe's past history of CS releases.  See my response to the thread above for more details.

Terry

(Disclaimer: My opinions are my own.  I am not compensated by any entity for expressing my opinions.)

|
    Mark as:
    Aug 11, 2009 1:06 PM   in reply to rhys612

I have not lied to you or anyone else on this thread with regards to the issue of when a product will be announced or released. Time will show that this is indeed true.

- Dov

|
    Mark as:
    Aug 12, 2009 5:02 AM   in reply to keithdvo

hi ,

i have used cs4 , flash cs4 is the best for me , when the cs5 will be coming , if any-one knows please tell me , thanks

|
    Mark as:
    Aug 12, 2009 8:13 AM   in reply to be_bold786

CS5 will be released as soon as the applications are ready and Adobe announces that.

People who know can't say.

People who say don't know.

|
    Mark as:
    Aug 19, 2009 6:37 AM   in reply to Buko.

Out of interest, do Adobe offer free upgrades to their latest versions if you purchase the previous version within a few months prior to the release of the next version?  This is something Microsoft do so that sales don't slump once the release date of a new version of application or operating system is announced.

The choice on if I purchase CS4 or CS5 will depend on which product they certify for Windows 7 first.  The same for Lightroom.

|
    Mark as:
    Aug 19, 2009 7:10 AM   in reply to thisisJules75

In the past, Adobe has provided free upgrades to the next version of products for customers who purchase the existing version between the time of announcement and the time of delivery and often for a very limited period of time prior to such announcement. That is not a guarantee of exactly what such policy will be in the future.

In terms of ability to work under Windows 7, CS4 does work under both Windows 7 32-bit and 64-bit versions although there may be some minor glitches under some specific conditions. Upon official release of Windows 7 (although the RTM/GM version of Windows 7 is currently released to developers via MSDN and to system manufacturers, Microsoft has not officially released Windows 7 to the public), Adobe will post on its website a list of such glitches and workarounds.

- Dov

|
    Mark as:
    Aug 19, 2009 7:27 AM   in reply to Dov Isaacs

Hey Dov, thanks for the info.  I'm actually using the RTM copy of W7 X64 (thanks to my TechNet subscription) and I've installed and ran eval copies of CS4 and LR2 without issue.  When I come to purchase though I will want to run the version that is certified by Adobe to run on W7.  I'll keep my eyes open for information on the website as it becomes available.

|
    Mark as:
1 2 Previous Next

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)