Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Numbers with leading zeros

New Here ,
Jul 06, 2009 Jul 06, 2009

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am using Framemaker 8 - unstructured.

I have a requirement that the work packages/documents within a book contain an identifying number that begins with leading zeros and is four-digits long. This number also increments from one document to the next.

For example, first work package is '0001', next one is '0002', '0003', .... '0010', '0011', etc.

For the automatic incrementing, I am treating these work packages as chapters. However, I have not seen an automatic way to have the leading zeros.

I've come up with the following process:

First, I've created a text box on the master pages in which I entered 000 and then I insert the Chapter Number variable at the end. The tricky thing here is when I reach the tenth work package, the number on the master page has to change slightly to 00<$chapter number>. Note: I've tried also using the <n+> autonumbering scheme but this didn't work out as well as the chapter number variable.

I've looked briefly into using conditional text for automatically deciding when '000' or '00' is used, but have been unable to figure this out.

Any suggestions for something more automatic?

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Jul 06, 2009 Jul 06, 2009

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

You can fake this using paragraph autonumbering and create a tab leader where the "0" digit is used as the leader. Set a right-aligned tab position where you want the right-most digit of the id number to begin. You have to play around with position and font size to get it to look right.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines