Skip navigation
Currently Being Moderated

What Windows 7 version should I get ?

Jul 7, 2009 4:07 AM

I will be building a new Core i7 system after windows 7 comes out and was wondering what version of Windows to get.

Amazon pre order prices are:

Home Premium - $199.99

Professional - $299.99

Ultimate - $319.99

I was thinking on the Professional or the Ultimate.

Im going with 64 bit version for a Core i7 build.  12MB Ram

Is it worth it to pre-order or should one wait ?

http://images.amazon.com/images/G/01/software/detail-page/B002DHGMK0-13.jpg

Replies
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Jul 7, 2009 4:28 AM   in reply to Powered by Design

If you don't use BitLocker, what is the sense of using Ultimate? I don't see the multilanguage as an advantage. All it does is add significantly to the footprint and services started at boot time, putting more stress on the system. I do see the advantage of the extensive network support as well as the capability to use older XP applications. Personally, I would opt for Professional, even with the small price differential.

|
    Mark as:
    Jul 7, 2009 4:35 AM   in reply to Powered by Design

I am running a Core i7 (975) 3.33Ghz system with 64 bit windows 7 Ultimate, 80GB solid state Hard drive for the applications plus a 1Tb hard drive for data storge and 6GB of 1333Mhz ram.
    Encore CS4 is continually crashing when saving.

|
    Mark as:
    Jul 7, 2009 4:43 AM   in reply to Adrian-Aust

You are running the beta or RC. Glenn is asking about which version to select of the official and final version of Windows 7. That you have trouble with saving in Encore could be a myriad of things and does not influence the version choice Glenn asked about.

|
    Mark as:
    Jul 7, 2009 5:29 AM   in reply to Adrian-Aust

Since you are presumably running the raid off the IHCR chip, it need not be Encore, but a limitation of the chipset driver. It could also be any of the processes and services running that causes this behaviour. It is extremely difficult to troubleshoot beta or RC not supported OS, with applications that use beta drivers.

Using beta or RC OS means in practice that you have to figure it out yourself, because there are far too few people with comparable issues to help you with this problem. I don't think that the version, Ultimate, is the cause of this.

|
    Mark as:
    Jul 7, 2009 5:36 AM   in reply to Adrian-Aust

When I installed PP CS4, the instructions clearly stated: PP CS4 will not install on a solid state hard drive; this may be your main problem.

LP

|
    Mark as:
    Jul 7, 2009 5:38 AM   in reply to Powered by Design

Hi Glenn,

I am in the process of eliminating various items to prove that the O/S Win 7 is not the issue.

I did try a 32Bit workstation with Vista SP2 but both Pre Pro and Encore CS4 failed to open, gave the following error:

"GPUSniffer.exe has stopped working"

Attachments:

|
    Mark as:
    Jul 7, 2009 5:42 AM   in reply to lifeguardlloyd

Hi LP,

I must have missed that part of the instructions...Do you know why PP CS4 will not install on a solid state drive?

My install worked and both Pre Pro and Encore CS4 application open ok.

|
    Mark as:
    Jul 7, 2009 5:46 AM   in reply to Adrian-Aust

The video card and driver may be worth looking at. What card is it?

|
    Mark as:
    Jul 7, 2009 5:51 AM   in reply to Adrian-Aust

No real clue as to why SS drives won't work, I wondering if it's a copyright issue.

Lloyd

|
    Mark as:
    Jul 7, 2009 5:52 AM   in reply to Harm Millaard

Hi HM,

The video card is: XFX PCIe HD4890 1GB

|
    Mark as:
    Jul 7, 2009 5:56 AM   in reply to lifeguardlloyd

Hi L,

It is an Intel:

SSDSA2MH080G1C1 2.5" SATA SOLID STATE DRIVE 80GB RD 250M/s WR 70MB/s

I would hope Intel has sorted out any copyright issues.

|
    Mark as:
    Jul 7, 2009 6:17 AM   in reply to Adrian-Aust

I assume you have the 9.06 driver for Win7-64. Then there is something else going on, but I haven't the faintest what it could be.

|
    Mark as:
    Jul 7, 2009 6:25 AM   in reply to Adrian-Aust

It seems that several people have had issues with at least two recent builds of Win7 RC. These same folk did not have the issues until these builds, but it appears that something in them (might be fixed by now) broke a couple of elements in Adobe programs.

As a beta tester, you should report all such issues to MS, so that when the OS is released, it will run all Adobe programs. You might also want to check to see if a more recent build behaves better. This is a common problem, when one is on the bleedin' edge.

Good luck,

Hunt

|
    Mark as:
    Jul 7, 2009 7:21 AM   in reply to Bill Hunt

I am looking at building an i7 computer next year... but I'm going to wait until Win7 64bit is at SP1 before I jump

I do enjoy reading about all the problems... let's me know what to avoid when I do build a new computer

|
    Mark as:
    Jul 7, 2009 8:23 AM   in reply to Powered by Design

Amazon pre order prices are...

...a bit overblown.

(OK, I can't get the inserted link thing to work for some reason, but if you copy and poaste the following into a browser, it seems to work.)

http://promotions.newegg.com/Microsoft/Windows7/PreSale/index.html?cm_ sp=Homepage_Top_Right-_-Windows7/PreSale-_-http%3a%2f%2fpromotions.new egg.com%2fMicrosoft%2fWindows7%2fPreSale%2f362x130.jpg

|
    Mark as:
    Jul 7, 2009 9:45 AM   in reply to Jim Simon

I have built quite a few systems. I prefer to stick with hardware that has a successful track record. My new i7 computer with Windows 7 Release Candidate is fabulous. Incredibly stable, smooth and fast. Computer problems can waste an incredible amount of time...but I'm glad to see people willing to take their chances with the exotic cutting edge stuff. The information provided is sometimes helpful.

Microsoft has a deal on their website. We purchased 3 licenses of the "Professional" version yesterday. Don't know what areas this offer is good in though:

windows_7.jpg

|
    Mark as:
    Jul 7, 2009 12:19 PM   in reply to Chuck A. McIntyre

>stick with hardware that has a successful track record

Ok... how about listing your preferred brands/models to build an i7 computer?

Or, if discussed in one of the hardware messages linked off the main page, drop a link here so anyone reading your message will be able to click over to see what you use

|
    Mark as:
    Jul 7, 2009 1:21 PM   in reply to John T Smith

This is what I bought to build my new system:

Video Card - MSI R4830-T2D512 RT 1 $89.99 
    Motherboard - GIGABYTE GA-EX58-UD3R 1366 X58 R 1 $199.99
    CPU - INTEL CORE I7 920 2.66G 45N R 1 $279.99
    PSU - CORSAIR CMPSU-750TX 750W RT 1 $119.99
    RAM - Crucial Ballistix 240-pin DIMM  1608 6GB kit (2GBx3) $169.99
    Case - Cooler Master HAF Full Tower Already Owned

There are other great brands as well. Asus WS motherboards are durable and reliable. For years, PC Power and Cooling (now owned by OCZ) power supplies have been the standard for "tight" voltage output and reliability.

I prefer Crucial RAM. I have never had an issue with their products.

The video card I chose was inexpensive and is highly rated. If you go to Newegg.com, their products for sale are customer rated. Not 100% reliable ratings, but often they can give you a sense of a product being either great or lowsy.

Here's the link to my system building thread.

|
    Mark as:
    Jul 7, 2009 1:24 PM   in reply to Chuck A. McIntyre

Motherboard - GIGABYTE GA-EX58-UD3R 1366 X58 R 1 $199.99

I almost bought that yesterday, but I saw it only has 4 memory slots.  How does one use triple channel memory with an even number of slots?  All such mother boards I've seen supporting triple channel have 6 slots.  I ended up with the Asus P6T ES.

|
    Mark as:
    Jul 7, 2009 1:42 PM   in reply to Chuck A. McIntyre

John and Charles,

My personal feeling is that when you hear sufficient positive feedback about brands and types, it is reason to look into those brands. That is no guarantee for success however. Before going on, Charles, I think you made a well balanced decision within your budget and with good components. But here is the crux. What are good components? What a lot of people buy? What a lot of sales people advise? What you hear on fora? That decision is very hard. When you ask friend 1 what his favorite brand is, he will say X and when you ask friend 2  he will tell you brand Y. That makes the buying decision so difficult, but on the other hand so easy, since competition makes the gaps even closer. The quality differences are getting smaller and smaller.

Let me tell you an anecdote, that happened a couple of years ago:

The CEO and President of Daimler-Chrysler came to the Auto RAI, he was picked up from the airport in a Mercedes S600 and of course accompanied by another car. About 10 miles from the airport the car broke down and he had to get into the follow-up car, a MB C190.  It made him unhappy and upon his return to Stuttgart he called his staff together and told them:

"Quality has to be produced, not checked."

Just going by the numbers on the Internet, Seagate is very popular and one might easily choose these for storage, as did I for a NAS. After 5 out of 7 disks failing in the first couple of weeks (replaced under guarantee) it is no longer my favorite brand. So how does that impact your decision making? This may be a once-in-a-lifetime experience, or is it a more serious problem with quality, like MB had in the previous anecdote. You can never be sure, but the info available on the internet can help you.

Also take into consideration that brands that were highly praised a year ago, may have gained a lousy reputation at this time and the other way around. In terms of reputation the auto brand Skoda 10 years ago was a brand to avoid, now it is one of the most reliable brands there are.

|
    Mark as:
    Jul 7, 2009 3:33 PM   in reply to Harm Millaard

Harm Wrote:

"Seagate is very popular and one might easily choose these for storage, as did I for a NAS."

I'm not sure what's up with Seagate these days. I started recommending their drives and using them based on an 8 year old drive in my computer that seemed to last forever. I was also impressed by their 5 year warranty. Recently we have had two "Freeagent" externals fail on us just by being bumped when they were spinning. By comparison, I accidentally snagged a cable attached to an old Maxtor external drive causing it to fall off the editing table apparently without damaging the drive.

|
    Mark as:
    Jul 7, 2009 3:55 PM   in reply to Jim Simon

Jim Simon Wrote:

"How does one use triple channel memory with an even number of slots?"

This particular Gigabyte Motherboard, although righly rated, is one of the less expensive x58 boards around. Price and durability were the main factors for me. Although I'm a professional video editor, I occasionally edit at home and I used this board in my home system. The manual indicated placing 3 sticks of 2GB RAM in slot 1, 3 and 4.

|
    Mark as:
    Jul 7, 2009 4:06 PM   in reply to Chuck A. McIntyre

Has anyone noticed we got a bit off topic here?

|
    Mark as:
    Jul 7, 2009 4:41 PM   in reply to Harm Millaard

As we are off the topic..and in Australia we have only been in the office this morning for about an hour.... With Encore CS4 how do you access the transitions available in Pre Pro CS4 from Encore?

|
    Mark as:
    Jul 7, 2009 4:50 PM   in reply to Adrian-Aust

You don't. Transitions are to be applied in PR, as are effects. Once you have finished editing do you go to EN for authoring.

|
    Mark as:
    Jul 7, 2009 6:26 PM   in reply to Harm Millaard

The transitions are for a slideshow created in Encore CS4. The range of Transitions are limited in Encore CS4 compared to Prem Pro CS4

|
    Mark as:
    Jul 7, 2009 6:48 PM   in reply to Harm Millaard

The Catalyst version is 09.6

The ATI Radeon HD4800 driver is 8.620 update release 15/05/2009

|
    Mark as:
    Jul 7, 2009 6:50 PM   in reply to Bill Hunt

The O/S is 6.1.7100 build 7100

|
    Mark as:
    Jul 8, 2009 10:41 AM   in reply to Powered by Design

Here's a good article posted on Maximum PC's website today related to Windows 7 install/upgrade options.

Go There

|
    Mark as:

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)