• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

AI CS4 Insufficient Memory Issue

New Here ,
Jul 06, 2009 Jul 06, 2009

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

My project in AI CS4 (WinXP) is not able to place (import) a 600dpi image (size is 35mb). The error message says "Insufficient Memory was Available to Complete the Operation". The same image at 300 dpi worked where the 600 did not work. There is 3gb of RAM on my machine. I am wondering if there is a problem with AI here, and if there is a way to allocate more memory to the program. I don't mind using the 300-resolution image, but would like to learn something about Illustrator from this issue. Is there a way to fix the problem or to adjust the memory usage in Illustrator CS4? If anyone can help me with this, my thanks in advance.

Sol

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Adobe
LEGEND ,
Jul 06, 2009 Jul 06, 2009

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I must admit I do not know of output device that needs such a resolution of 600ppi but that is your call.

I would say your scratch disk does not have enough space.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jul 07, 2009 Jul 07, 2009

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Correct. I rarely use 600ppi images in my projects. This project was

different. I had subtle gradients (hillshading) at a very large scale (close

up), so they were looking pixelated. I tried to boost the resolution to see

if the pixelation could be reduced a little, which in fact it did. But

unfortunately, 3gb of RAM isn't enought for the files I created.

Maybe I"ll try another file format, instead of the JPGs, to see if that

makes a difference. Otherwise, I just won't do that anymore.

Thanks for the feedback.

Sol

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Are you running other applications at the same time ? If so how  many and what are they ?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks for the last message.

I made sure to turn off all other programs. Nothing else was running.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Sol Racionz wrote:

My project in AI CS4 (WinXP) is not able to place (import) a 600dpi image (size is 35mb). The error message says "Insufficient Memory was Available to Complete the Operation". The same image at 300 dpi worked where the 600 did not work.

You are mistaking file size for the actual uncompressed size, it seems. They are not related. A 35MB JPEG can be humungously large, so once it is uncompressed you may indeed simply run out of RAM. Similar logic applies to other compressed formats. Only if you safe e.g. uncompressed TIFFs, you can halfway assume the size on teh disk and in memory are on par. In addition, of course any color space transforms and otehr operations, that require to decode and possibly duplicate the pixel data in memory may further add to that problem. And to round it off: Reducing the ppi res to half effectively cuts the size in memory to a quarter, so it may naturally work better.

Mylenium

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Engaged ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello Sol,

The truth about the memory problem is the Very Critical Memory Bug that comes with CS4.

Nothing to do with your computer’s memory, running other programs, or the file is too big (unless is really, really big [in your case the files have to exceed 2.5GB of size]).

As reported several times in this forum, it does not matter if you are using a Mac or PC, you have this nasty bug that so far Adobe refuses to provide updates. The last update for Adobe Illustrator was on 09/04/2007 (ALMOST 3 YEARS AGO!).

That is why I have not wasted my money buying a “new version” of illustrator. I will buy the next version until Adobe goes back to Fair Business Practice and starts providing updates again.

But do not worry, very soon Adobe will sell you the CS5 with more bugs and no updates.

Good Luck!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jul 22, 2009 Jul 22, 2009

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

lol

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I finally got my CS4 AI installed w/o installing it as a trial.Just took foreverrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr!  Sheesh! Anyway, i came back on the forum to find out why it's chuggin when i save and close files. And i don't like the help menu, it brings you here to forums. There's no set of instructions for anything regarding help topics. Kinda wierd.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have to go along with you the help Needs HELP!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Feb 18, 2011 Feb 18, 2011

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

someone delete my reply when I say :  a JPG image of 14000 pix

and 200 MB does not problem in corel I have the Video to prove it and- its good use both programs.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Aug 05, 2011 Aug 05, 2011

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Can anyone confirm if this is a "feature" of CS5/CS5.5?

Cheers,

James

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Feb 16, 2013 Feb 16, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Same issue persists in CS5! Like pretty much any bug that came along the last years.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Apr 16, 2013 Apr 16, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I've had a similar issue placing large PSDs into AI files...

Most recently I have placed 1gig file into an artwork.

My work around: . reduce the size (cm) to something managable for AI. Say 50cm.....,Switch off resampling in PS The DPI will go massive but AI usually allows me to bring it in like this.

It's as if AI struggles to generate enough pixels if the image is huge cm-wise but once it is smaller it generates fewer pixels. It works in my fuzzy logic head.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Feb 18, 2011 Feb 18, 2011

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Sorry, I've never used it.

Just hope that the knowledge from this

But I do blog blogs I Sing.

งานออนไลน์

ทำงานออนไลน์
------------------------------------------------------------------
Source.

นีโอไลฟ์

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Mar 18, 2011 Mar 18, 2011

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi guys, I've got the same problem...working on a poster 150cm x 150 cm.

Even with 12 GB of RAM and a big scratch disk installed it still refuse to link a picture of 60 mb.

I saved a TIF of the image in Photoshop and now it works, could be a quick fix to the problem.

My competence is not the best in AI but I hope ther won't be a loss in quality in the actual print of the poster.

What is Adobe's answear to the issue with "insufficient memory..."? Any idea if this is a bug or not?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Mar 25, 2011 Mar 25, 2011

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I've noticed this is an unresolved issue - Adobe illustrator old bug without an specific or satisfactory reply.  I use illustrator and other X program. its good to use both you can see why .. even I've known some people uses Mac but they encode video on Windows because the speed !.   so, I've made 30" (60x90 cm ) documents to big size format print- illustrator gives me the ERROR about insufficent memory - other program does the work: maybe slow but does it. @jan wigg

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Oct 10, 2013 Oct 10, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

You may consider the following:

To have an JPG or PSD or ANY other file with no edge exiding 10.000 pixels. This is something related to printer capabilities rather then illustrator's.

I reduced the file from 23.000 pixels on the largest side to 7.000 pixels and it worked.

Try it.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines