Skip navigation
Currently Being Moderated

Using Flex 4 nightly SDK's in Flash Builder 4

Jul 8, 2009 7:03 AM

Hi,

After downloading the Flex 4 SDK beta 1 and copying it into my Flash Builder 4 (beta) sdks/ directory I get internal build errors on all projects (e.g. a new one).

Has the SDK format changed for FB4?

Sources:

SDK 4.0.0.7219 - http://opensource.adobe.com/wiki/display/flexsdk/Download+Flex+4

Flash Builder 4 - http://www.adobe.com/cfusion/entitlement/index.cfm?e=labs_flashbuilder 4

Replies
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Jul 8, 2009 7:11 AM   in reply to richardleggettmk

So, when there are internal build errors the actual crash info (call stack) is logged in the FB error log.  I'm on Mac, but you can view the error log with something like:

Help-->Product Details-->Configuration Details-->View Error Log

Post the error here and we can hopefully decipher.

In any event, I'm not sure it's a great idea to copy files over into your Flash Builder installation per say ...  I usually check it out in its own location and add a new Flex SDK ...

(Window-->Preferences-->Flash Builder-->Installed Flex SDKs)

That way you can create a new project and specify your alternate SDK in the new project wizard, leaving the stock SDK that came with FB unmodified.

-Corey

|
    Mark as:
    Jul 8, 2009 11:36 AM   in reply to richardleggettmk

Hello -

There is a known problem with the Flash Builder Beta build when switching to use a nightly 4.0 SDK - you will get an internal build error citing a ClassCast Exception. This is a Flash Builder issue that was fixed post-Beta. The problem with using nightly SDK builds in the Beta comes up only when you use more than one version of the Flex 4 SDK (i.e. a nightly build and the one included with the FB Beta). You will get an internal compiler error.

To resolve this issue, you could switch all your projects to use the same version of the Flex 4 SDK (or Flex 3 is ok), and then restart Flash Builder to get rid of the build error _OR_ create a new workspace (and ensure you're using only one version of the 4.0 SDK in that workspace).

Please reply back to this thread if this does not work.

Cheers,

Deepa Subramaniam

Flex SDK Engineer

|
    Mark as:
    Jul 8, 2009 11:37 AM   in reply to richardleggettmk

Hi Richard,

This is a known issue http://bugs.adobe.com/jira/browse/FB-19867 which happened in Beta build but should be fixed in latest build.

Thanks,

Sharon

|
    Mark as:
    Jul 9, 2009 12:58 AM   in reply to deepa subramaniam (adobe)

!!!! what!!! Oh thanks so much. This had been driving me mental!

Such a simple fix too. Aint it always the way

Cheers for the head up.

glenn

|
    Mark as:
    Jul 27, 2009 11:07 AM   in reply to richardleggettmk

Hi,

I've tried to apply Deepa's workaround every possible way but it doesn't seem to work for me. I'm trying to use today's nightly build (4.0.0.8811) but I keep hitting the same current error. I'm using Flash Builder Beta 1 Eclipse plugin (with Ganymede) on a new workspace, with only one project created in the workspace.

|
    Mark as:
    Jul 31, 2009 4:46 AM   in reply to richardleggettmk

FYI, it now seems to work fine (Nightly Build 4.0.0.8945). I can even manage to use different versions of the SDK in the same workspace.

|
    Mark as:

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)

Answers + Points = Status

• 10 points awarded for Correct Answers
  • 5 points awarded for Helpful Answers
  • 10,000+ points
  • 1,001-10,000 points
  • 501-1,000 points
  • 5-500 points