• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

splitting and tiling in Illustrator

Community Beginner ,
Jul 10, 2009 Jul 10, 2009

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

i need to find a way to slice an image (jpeg) into 9 or 16 or more equal parts and then convert to PDF so  it can be printerd and that its ends up looking like a large poster..

that can be repasted together...also would be nice if each image spliced would have guides on all 4 corners so that the repasting would line up perfectly.

Am i asking to much....

RCFMitch

here is an example of what the final product should look like..

See attachment...

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Adobe
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

you create your document to size it will be when pasted together. Then you go to View>Show Tiling so you cane see the tiling

then you go to the print dialog and a select a paper size one that divides the document evenly vertically and horizontally it should be smaller than the actually paper you will be printing it on, oh yes make certain you have adobe pdf selected as the printer.

Then you will see the tiling in the print you may have to make a custom page size in the page set up with no borders to get the tiling to work.

then turn on trim marks in the print dialog. then print to pdf and you will have end up with a multipage pdf. It does sometimes require a little adjustment as everything has to be consider the page size must divide the page evenly and no borders are probably also require to prevent the tile from displacing.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Its seems like a lot of work for a beginner in Adobe Illustrator , but im persistent and stuburn , and im not going to quit till i get it right...

Thank you very much for the Help. let you know how it turn out.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

one more thing , if i understood you right... my picture must be 24 inches by 30 inches to start with , so it can be tilied right...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yes! Unless you want to try and cut it up and do it one piece at a

time. that way you can even give it overlap.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Jul 14, 2009 Jul 14, 2009

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Your artboard should be the size of your finished poster - what-ever you want - and artwork created at 100%.

Go to print and select the paper size that you want to print on - say A4 - and select "tile full pages". You can then specify an overlap if you want it.

Alternatively select "tile imagable areas". That way you get no overlap and simply trim to the edge of the art (which will be your printer's imagable area for the selected paper size.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Advocate ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Page tilling works, also there is a free software to do that. give it a try and tell me...

http://posterazor.sourceforge.net/index.php?page=screenshots&lang=english

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I don't understand why you need software to do this - doesn't the

print dialogue do it anyway?

cheers

Roger

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
May 02, 2012 May 02, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

This thread is old but I'm adding this in case someone's search points them here.

It's odd that Illustrator doesn't provide cut marks when tiling, but here are the 2 viable workarounds I'm aware of:

1. Open the Illustrator file in Acrobat and print from there. Just select the "Tile Large Pages" option from the "Paper Scaling" menu in the print dialog box, then check the 'Cut Marks' box.
  2. Place your Illustrator EPS in InDesign and print with tiling option selected. InDesign also prints tiled pages with cut marks.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines