• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Flash Player 10 Installation - Error: Failed to Register

New Here ,
Jul 12, 2009 Jul 12, 2009

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

That's the error I get when I try to install Flash Player 10 VIA Internet Explorer 7 (I had to remove IE8 due to compatibility errors).

I also had to remove Flash Player entirely (since that's what it told me in the troubleshoot) and re-installed it for FireFox. But for IE7, it gave me this error.

So, what exactly do I do?

I am guessing they mean Registery Keys error, but I am not entirely sure.

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Beginner , Jul 19, 2009 Jul 19, 2009

Not a problem.  You do not need it.

Explanation:

Windows Resource Kit is a bundle of utilities you can download from MS if you ever need it.  At this time you do not need it, but to make things simple in case you ever do... just go to c:\program files and create the empty folders so you have C:\Program Files\Windows Resource Kits\Tools\

Then proceed from there.

Votes

Translate

Translate
Community Beginner ,
Jul 18, 2009 Jul 18, 2009

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Same problem here.   XP Pro SP3, trying to install Flash version 10.

Error: failed to register.

So far:

Ran Disk Cleanup to minimize old temp file

Ran Adobe Flash uninstaller

Disabled Anti-Virus and Anti-spyware (for Reference using AVG Anti-Virus

Followed other instructions that Adobe provides...but

...Keep getting the same error.

Other postings on "failed to register" are either for other products, several years old - or left unanswered.

If you have any luck, post on back... it would be appreciated.

Tomster2

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Found a solution.

1) I had IE 8.  I uninstalled that and went to the Windows Update screen and blocked it from reinstalling again (at least for now).  Tried installing flash... but it still "failed to register".

2) Went to http://kb2.adobe.com/cps/494/cpsid_49419.html

Followed the instructions there to download both a utility from MS, and a utility from adobe... putting them both in the same folder.  Be careful when extracting the files from the zip file from Adobe, because zip will, by default, create a subfolder.  You do not want the subfolder. You want them both in the same folder as this article suggests.

After completing the instructions, the install ran without errors.

Not sure if this would have worked with IE 8 in place, but I have had several users who have had problems recently with IE 8, so that was my first step.  I removed it which rolled it back to IE 7.  That by itself did not fix the problem.  Applying step 2 did.

If you get this work with IE8, please post back.

Tomster2

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I,m using AOL as browsertried same with downloads from microsoft and Adobe Still failed to register any suggestions

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Well,t urns out it's a Registry Key error or something to do with Registering. Also, the file that keeps being unable to register is Flash10b.ocx. Problem is that when I go to the folder, it's not there; hence why it cannot be registered.

Also, I'd rather not mess with the SubInACL, as it can cause damage if used incorrectly...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I had the same concerns about ACL, but the Adobe utility uses it only for the portions it wants.  When you run the Adobe utility, it uses ACL, you do not access ACL yourself....

In any case, after downloading both files, I backed up my registery first  Start | Run | Regedit.... then File | Export | pick a location and assign a name e.g. 20090718

I then ran the adobe flash player uninstall utility.  Then the Adobe cmd file.  Again... make sure the Adobe cmd file and the ACL exe are in the same folder or it won't work.  Use windows explorer to make sure they are.

The two programs together clean up certain registry entries that are blocking the proper registration of Adobe Flash Player.

If that doesn't work for AOL, I do not know what to tell you as as I gave up on AOL years ago.

Tomster2

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

One problem.

I do not have C:\Program Files\Windows Resource Kits\Tools\

I do not know where Windows Resource Kits is...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jul 19, 2009 Jul 19, 2009

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Not a problem.  You do not need it.

Explanation:

Windows Resource Kit is a bundle of utilities you can download from MS if you ever need it.  At this time you do not need it, but to make things simple in case you ever do... just go to c:\program files and create the empty folders so you have C:\Program Files\Windows Resource Kits\Tools\

Then proceed from there.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

HOLY CRAP! IT WORKED.

Thank you SO much. You have no idea how good this feels finally.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Enthusiast ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Tomster, the wierd thing here is that when the last dot release came out we bundled all those ACL fixes -inside- the Flash Player 10 installer.  We've seen internal permission-related install cases dropping by half in the last four months.

So I'm not sure what to make of this..   Will have to keep a watchful eye out..

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Jul 23, 2009 Jul 23, 2009

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

After running subinACL/reset_fp10 several times, I am still having the exact same problem: failed to register the flash player.  

On the same computer, I am able to install Flash player 10 for Firefox but not for IE8.  The installation process failed at the step trying to register the  Flash10b.ocx.  Just like Bwolf had mentioned, I did noticed the installation script is attempting to fix the ACL.  Attached below is the installation log.

BTW, I can repeatly uninstall & reinstall Firefox player without any problem.  I can also install & uninstall shockwave player for IE8 without any issue.  Still after hours of trying & experimenting, I have no luck with installing the Flash player via either Adobe ActiveX DLM using IE8 or direct install via the flash player installation executable.

Any help would be much appreciated.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am not sure if I attached the install log file properly last time.  So here is the log file in PDF format.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Enthusiast ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Aloha, do you have a support webcase #? If so please post it here.

If you don't have one, go to http://www.adobe.com/support/flashplayer and open one, then submit your install log as an attachmen to that web case.

Then post the case # here. I'd like to get the installer guru to take a look, but I need a web case # to do it..

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Aug 07, 2009 Aug 07, 2009

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yes, I did get it to work in IE8. The key was to follow the instructions:

1. Follow the instructions to download the SubInACL tool from the Microsoft Download Center.

2. Install SubInACL

3. Download the reset_fp 10.zip file.

4. Extract the reset_fp 10.cmd file to C:\Program Files\Windows Resource Kits\Tools\.

Important: Be sure that both the subinacl.exe and reset_fp10.cmd files are in the same locations here: C:\Program Files\Windows Resource Kits\Tools\.  { I had to MOVE the reset_fp10.cmd files from the reset_fp 10.zip file to the C:\Program Files\Windows Resource Kits\Tools before it worked}

5. Double-click reset_fp10.cmd.

6. This will open a command window and execute the SubInACL tool.

7. Do not use the machine while SubInACL is running.

8. When it is finished you will see "Press any key to continue".

9 Install the Flash Player from www.adobe.com/go/getflashplayer.

It finally worked for me after I did this!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Aug 14, 2009 Aug 14, 2009

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm still having problems...When I try to extract the reset_fp10zipfile all that appears in the folder is this "reset_minimal_fp.txt".  Does anyone know why I wouldnt have the "reset_fp10.cmd" file available?  or better yet know how to fix it?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Aug 15, 2009 Aug 15, 2009

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The real culprit is the corrupt file which only Adobe technicians can cure,

if they care to do so at their leisure. Particularly week ends beginning

from Friday is the most testing time for down loaders and no correction

before Monday or Tuesday. Meanwhile you can do two things. First completely

remove Adobe Flash Player from your computer. The Adobe Uninstaller is not

the perfect solution. Go to system search companion option. Open (tick) all

the arrow options such as search system folder, search hidden files and

folders, search subfolders, case sensitive, search tape back up...Start

search. Remove all the search results. Go to system Run. Type "regedit". Go

to HKEY_CURRENT_USER and open "Software". Go to "Macromedia" There you will

find "Flash Player". Right click on it and remove the keys. Reboot your

computer. Go to some other website to down load Flash Player such as

Download Accelerator Plus (DAP) or Download.com and down load Adobe Flash

Player. If this works, good luck or go to Care2 Petition site and sign my

petition to take action against Adobe.

A. Patrawala Advocate

G-3&4, Vighneshvar Estate, Nanpura,

Surat-395001 Gujarat India

+919825949066

akpsurat@gmail.com

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Aug 15, 2009 Aug 15, 2009

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have the same issue.  When I download the reset_fp.zip it appears the .cmd file is being blocked or left out.  Is there another way to get the file?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Aug 16, 2009 Aug 16, 2009

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Follow the instructions to download the SubInACL tool from the Microsoft Download Center.

Install SubInACL.

Download the reset_fp10.zip file.

Extract the reset_fp10.cmd file to C:\Program Files\Windows Resource Kits\Tools\.

Important: Be sure that both the subinacl.exe and reset_fp10.cmd files are in the same location here: C:\Program Files\Windows Resource Kits\Tools\.

You have to download both the SubInACL tool and the zip file then move the cmd file to the same file as the zip file.

Double-click reset_fp10.cmd.

This will open a command window and execute the SubInACL tool.

Do not use the machine while SubInACL is running.

When it is finished you will see "Press any key to continue".

Install the Flash Player from www.adobe.com/go/getflashplayer.

http://kb2.adobe.com/cps/494/cpsid_49419.html

Date: Sat, 15 Aug 2009 22:23:18 -0600

To: qwendy@msn.com

Subject: Flash Player 10 Installation - Error: Failed to Register

I have the same issue. When I download the reset_fp.zip it appears the .cmd file is being blocked or left out. Is there another way to get the file?

>

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you for your reply.  However, I still seem to be at the same impass.  I downloaded the SubInACL and installed it just fine.  Now when I download the Reset_fp10.zip file and extract, all it has is a reset_minimal_fp10.txt file.  The reset_fp.cmd is simply not there.  I'm running Vista and it almost seems as if it's blocking the file for my "protection".  This may be out of my hands but I was hopeing there is a way to still get the file needed.

Thanks again.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

can this also be solved by going to a trusted website that requires flash player and the followin the prompt to download active X from adobe and then download the flash player installer? Wouldn't that give one the flash player 10.0.32.18?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

If it was that easy we wouldn't be having a forum on it!!!

Date: Sun, 16 Aug 2009 10:17:16 -0600

can this also be solved by going to a trusted website that requires flash player and the followin the prompt to download active X from adobe and then download the flash player installer? Wouldn't that give one the flash player 10.0.32.18?

>

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Aug 26, 2009 Aug 26, 2009

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Qwendy AZ-- all I can tell you is that on one macvhine, IO was able to download the recent flash player 10.0.32.18 by going to a website that requires it and following the installation prompts

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Oct 12, 2009 Oct 12, 2009

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Tomster2 -Thanks so very much for your post to fix the "flash player 10 fails to register" problem.  I followed your instructions and after struggling for over a week, we now have flash working.  Thanks again...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

If the software is working condition everything works. If corrupt no

remedy... Don't find fault with yourself...

A. Patrawala Advocate

G-3&4, Vighneshvar Estate, Nanpura,

Surat-395001 Gujarat India

+919825949066

akpsurat@gmail.com

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am do not know about Vista. I am not running Vista. It took me a long time to get mine working. I did the steps I posted and that worked for me. What finally worked for me was moving the cmd file to the same file as the zip file and then extracting it. Sorry I couldn't be more helpful.

Date: Sun, 16 Aug 2009 10:07:19 -0600

Thank you for your reply. However, I still seem to be at the same impass. I downloaded the SubInACL and installed it just fine. Now when I download the Reset_fp10.zip file and extract, all it has is a reset_minimal_fp10.txt file. The reset_fp.cmd is simply not there. I'm running Vista and it almost seems as if it's blocking the file for my "protection". This may be out of my hands but I was hopeing there is a way to still get the file needed.

Thanks again.

>

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines