Skip navigation
jaso232
Currently Being Moderated

How to change source resolution?

Jul 13, 2009 11:52 AM

Here's an image of what I'm talking about, hopefully someone can help me. I have Googled and searched many forums, cannot find a solution to this seemingly easy problem =/

The original Fraps video is 1280x1024 and it is displayed completely in the source monitor, but the program (output) monitor on the right shows that the final video is going to be 720x480, and so does the export settings box when I try to export the timeline / final product. I have looked at project settings and preferences, I do not see any kind of options that lets me change that, does it have anything to do with having the capture format on DV?

http://i526.photobucket.com/albums/cc346/Xuerion/Untitled-2.jpg

Replies
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Jul 13, 2009 12:18 PM   in reply to jaso232

DV is 720x480, so yeah, this is caused by your settings. I suggest you start reading the manual or help file, follow tutorials and get a basic education in video editing.

If you want Fraps resolution, set up a desktop sequence with the correct dimensions. The manual or help file will spell it out.

|
    Mark as:
    Jul 13, 2009 12:25 PM   in reply to Harm Millaard

As Harm points out, you want your Project/Sequence settings to match your source footage. In CS4 you CAN change your Sequence settings, where before, you had to start a new Project with the proper settings.

At Export, you can then alter to output to what you need. If you are going to DVD-Video, you might want to look in this, and the CS3 forum for several articles by Dan Isaacs on down-rezing from HD to SD. He has put together a very good workflow for the best possible quality for this.

There are also several recent threads on working with FRAPS material. I do not recall all of the issues, or all of the replies, but I think that Dan might have contributed to several of those too. I believe that all of the FRAPS threads were in the CS4 forum.

Good luck,

Hunt

[Edit] PS also look for threads on Camtasia and CamStudio, as they are somewhat similar to FRAPS and maybe some suggestions will translate directly to your motion-capture software.

Message was edited by: the_wine_snob - added PS

|
    Mark as:
    Jul 13, 2009 2:15 PM   in reply to jaso232
    I spent the whole morning on it and decided to ask here

If you expect to learn PR in a single morning, you will be disappointed. It may take many months or more, depending on your learning speed.

A consumer application like Magix or WMM you may learn in a single morning, not a Pro package like PR. I've told you how to go about it.

Your problem may be that the scaling you used causes some problems. I really don't know since I only use material from video cameras, not from games and the like.

|
    Mark as:
    Jul 13, 2009 2:24 PM   in reply to jaso232
    To wine: Is not the Fraps that's the problem, and I have changed the export settings, I actually made videos with this before, all I did was "Scale to Frame" on the timeline, but now I changed my desktop resolution to 1280x1024 instead of 1024x768, scale to frame reduces the quality and size way too much.

If your Project/Sequence matches your FRAPS footage, then you will not need to worry about Scale to Frame. It will match perfectly.

Then, when edited, you can Export to about any logical Frame Size you want. What is your intended delivery scheme, BTW - maybe I just missed it.

Also, I have also not thought that any reply was rude, or that you were being lazy. I'm just throwing out suggestions for other discussions on FRAPS and similar programs with use with PrPro. If you have not seen THIS ONE, might be worth a read.

Good luck,

Hunt

|
    Mark as:
    Jul 13, 2009 3:15 PM   in reply to jaso232

In your Project Settings, use Desktop Project 1280 x 1024. You can set your FPS (Frames per Second) there too. What is the Frame Rate of the FRAPS Capture? It should be Progressive, I would assume.

The Export settings will be determined in AME (Adobe Media Encoder) when you go to Export. I do not believe that Capture settings will make any difference. As for the Export, you can choose the Frame Size and then a format/CODEC that VirtualDub will ingest.

Good luck,

Hunt

|
    Mark as:
    Jul 13, 2009 3:40 PM   in reply to jaso232

These are screen-caps from PrPro 2.0, but they should be very similar:

PrPro_DeskTop_01.jpg

Getting started with Desktop in the Custom Settings Tab

PrPro_Desktop_02.jpg

Settings in Desktop Mode.

Hope that these help and good luck,

Hunt

|
    Mark as:
    Jul 13, 2009 3:50 PM   in reply to jaso232

Here are the settings in CS4:

14-07-2009 00-48-58.jpg

|
    Mark as:
    Jul 13, 2009 4:46 PM   in reply to jaso232

Glad that you got it going. Back in pre-CS4 days, you would have had to create a new Project with the Desktop Presets and Settings. As of CS4, you can do it via a New Sequence - makes things a bit easier.

Also, with so many possible Settings for so very much, it can be difficult to find just the one that you need.

Good luck,

Hunt

|
    Mark as:

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)