Skip navigation
Currently Being Moderated

Canon :: Any Guess on What is Next?

May 22, 2009 11:52 AM

Anyone have any idea on what will happen next with Canon regarding the next SLR and approximately how long?

Replies 1 2 Previous Next
  • Currently Being Moderated
    May 23, 2009 3:27 AM   in reply to LRK 2

IMO all manufacturers are desperate for the next wool to pull over consumers' eyes.

Traditionally it was resolution, and Sony had the bright idea to go the (what I call) NASA's way: stitching.

[through stitching, NASA is capable of capturing tremendously detailed pictures of the Universe]

(for mortals, that would have to be developed by camera makers in cooperation with tripod magicians)

but there's speed (focusing and fps), HDR and video to think of.

Canon's 1D needs an update (Mark IV), and it seems that it will come in the form of higher fps.

“If the camera is set to sRAW 1 it will be able to shoot 12fps”

http://www.canonrumors.com/

a small step in the right direction

(but Red is working on more than 200 MP captures at 24fps already : )

http://www.red.com/

anyway the lines between still and video are getting blurred

I personally like Pentax's HDR effort to lock the mirror for multiple captures of the same scene

http://www.pentax.jp/english/news/2009/200906.html

|
    Mark as:
    May 23, 2009 6:21 PM   in reply to LRK 2

I'm debating on the 5DMKII.

is it the video features that interest you?

(I keep on missing what you need to know, because you're not really asking : )

check out this site:

http://www.cinema5d.com/index.php

but be aware that most 5D II video users have manual controls on their wish list

(and petitions)

[hope you win the "debate" : ]

|
    Mark as:
  • Ramón G Castañeda
    11,247 posts
    Jul 27, 2006
    Currently Being Moderated
    May 23, 2009 9:47 PM   in reply to Laurentiu G Todie

Laurentiu G Todie wrote:

I personally like Pentax's HDR effort to lock the mirror for multiple captures of the same scene

http://www.pentax.jp/english/news/2009/200906.html

That Pentax K7 looks better every day.  It's especially attractive to those of us that have very large collections of Pentax glass.

I might just get rid of some of my Leica and Contax rangefinders and lenses in order to buy one.

|
    Mark as:
    May 24, 2009 3:52 AM   in reply to Ramón G Castañeda

instead of selling a Leica, buy a toaster!

(didn't you hear? you get a bank with that)

|
    Mark as:
    Jul 20, 2009 9:47 AM   in reply to LRK 2

If you into shooting video and still want to have a still camera, then the Canon 5D Mk II is the way to go right now. Two months ago I got a gig shooting behind-the-scenes video footage and stills on a movie set for a full length feature film. A western set in 1902. The only Camera they used was the Canon 5D Mk II. They had three of them.  The sound was recorded off camera, meaning a sound guy with a boom mic. If you want good sound out of the 5D, you'll need to add a sound module, not a big deal. During the shoot I got to view the dailies. I was pretty much blown away! The footage looked great. The real test is what it will look like on the big screen. The rumor is that the movie, Iron Man II is going to be shot with the Canon 5D Mk II's. I would post a picture but I don't want Adobe owning it. Plus it was a SAG movie so I really can't.

Someone mentioned the RED!  I've been doing a lot of research on the new RED cameras that will be coming out. I can say it will change film making for the good. But it comes with  a big BUT! Sure you can get into one of those and start filming at the price of about $4K. But you never be happy there. Start adding accessories and that's where they get you.  A 16GB card to record 3K footage; $500.00. Add a hard dive and you are looking at $5K. The Red Scarlet 2/3" looks like a nice camera and they say you can use you Canon or Nikon lenses, but you really need 16m digital film lenses. Price those... Do you think you have enough computer to edit 2 or 3K footage? Better look into that...

For you Nikon people, the rumor is, D400 & D750 shooting 1080P footage like the Canon 5D does.  If the Nikon's turn out to be as good as the Canon 5D Mk II, I would say we have arrived.

http://nikonrumors.com/2009/04/17/the-next-set-of-rumors-nikon-d400-ni kond750.aspx

|
    Mark as:
    Jul 20, 2009 11:10 AM   in reply to LRK 2

Hi Linda... Things are crazy here too. I need a vacation.

|
    Mark as:
    Jul 20, 2009 4:00 PM   in reply to Dirk Williams

oh my goodness ... there are really people here! 

Good to "see" both you! 

At the rate I am going for getting the new camera, I might have to wait for the D400! 

|
    Mark as:
    Jul 20, 2009 4:06 PM   in reply to greenjumpyone

...or there's real people here

I was going to dump my Nikon's for Canon. But now I'll wait and see if the D400 can deliver when/if it comes out.

|
    Mark as:
    Jul 21, 2009 5:37 PM   in reply to LRK 2

oh yeah, gotta love how the spam gets cleaned out and so did my reply. 

In any case, I miss the regulars here ...

|
    Mark as:
    Jul 22, 2009 7:27 AM   in reply to greenjumpyone

Man, it is really dead here   So where did everybody end up going?

|
    Mark as:
    Sep 1, 2009 8:45 AM   in reply to LRK 2

|
    Mark as:
    Sep 4, 2009 2:13 PM   in reply to LRK 2

I believe that this IS an upgrade.  The market is very competitive right now and Nikon and Canon have both been coming out with more and better.  The 7D looks very interesting!

|
    Mark as:
    Sep 9, 2009 3:55 PM   in reply to LRK 2

Yeah, probably the 1D IV. I don't give rumors much attention, but this one has been going around a lot:

http://www.canonrumors.com/

Interesting article on RED & Canon.

For a FF the earliest projection would be around Feb/Mar, though more likely summer. No one really can say for sure.

A little OT, but wow. Leica M9 -- http://www.dpreview.com/previews/leicam9/

|
    Mark as:
    Sep 29, 2009 2:50 PM   in reply to LRK 2

|
    Mark as:
    Oct 2, 2009 9:35 AM   in reply to Dirk Williams

I'm going to have a hands on run with a 7D this weekend. Along with a comarison to the Nikon D90. I know, I know, 18MP vs 12, but who only counts pixels?

Here's an interesting stat. The person possessing the 7D also has a 20D. The 20D holds arounf 1000 images in RAW on an 8G card, the 7D,  263, the same as the Nikon on a 4G card!

|
    Mark as:
    Oct 5, 2009 8:39 AM   in reply to LRK 2

The 7D handles exceptionally well. It eclipses the D90 in that regard, Viewfinder a bit brighter, the LCD screen is bigger and seems brighter as well. But then, the camera is bigger.

Technically, there are problems. Because there is no update yet for RAW, we had to convert to dng to open the files in RAW, and found two problems right off.

1) Magenta cast to areas subjected to Recovery of highlights, CS3 and CS4. None found in the Canon software

2) Dfine found noise, even at ISO 200!  Side by side comparisons to the D90 confirms this. The exact same image in the D90 showed no noise in the image, nor did the image change at all in Dfine at ISO 200. Strangely, in the Canon software, no noise appears but the detail can't compare to what is seen in in PS dng, after passing through the Canon filter...er, software.

I seem to recall that at some early point in the evolvement of RAW, there were some Canon folks that believed a tiny amount of softening was applied by the NR in Raw sharpening, even when the slider was set at -0-. Chis Cox countered with the concept that what the viewers were calling detail was actually noise with respect to Nyquist. That may also exist here, but it is too early to tell.

As to 18MP vs 12 MP, I saw no advantage at 100%.or at full screen. We applied the exact same corrections to each file, and compared sharpness. At first, it seemed that the Canon was clearly superior, especially before applying sharpening in Smart sharpen, and afterwards where a sharpening of 100 at Radius of 0.7 was applied. But when I increased the Amount used in the Nikon file to 150, they matched almost perfectly. In both cases, going any farther started showing artifacts, so it would appear that the Canon image w/o sharpening was sharper than the Nikon.

Personally, I think 18MP is marketing hype. Going from 10MP in the D80 to 12 in the D90 showed obvious improvement, but 18 in the Canon vs 12 in the Nikon, less so.

Many reasons can exist for such findings too numerous to outline here, but for the moment, this is what we found.

Message was edited by: Hudechrome

|
    Mark as:
    Oct 6, 2009 8:58 AM   in reply to Hudechrome-sd9sPI

I opened a thread over at the PS forum about this:

http://forums.adobe.com/thread/501941?tstart=0

I included a couple of samples of a DNG version and a Canon software version concerning the noise problem.

|
    Mark as:
    Oct 12, 2009 5:32 PM   in reply to LRK 2

You are welcome, Linda.

Well, the 7D is going back. It also has a focus problem.

In order to use the camea at all, the files first have to go through DPP, as this sodftware has the stuff to deal with the noise.

Pretty pathetic, IMO.

7D. Not yet ready for prime time, apparently.

He has a 20D also, but it is having problems with the software/hardware interface.

|
    Mark as:
    Oct 20, 2009 9:38 PM   in reply to LRK 2

Turnss out he kept the 7D and sent it back for repair. He shoots kids sports and loves the fast focus. Apparently, the store is offering another trial period after Canon returns the body from repair.  Rumour has it that a firmware update is in the works.

Something has to happen.

|
    Mark as:
    Oct 21, 2009 6:36 AM   in reply to LRK 2

The 1DMK IV is geared to sports and fast action photography. For photographers who shoot that stuff (and I do my share), FF isn't much of a concern as is a fast frame rate. Did you notice that it shoots 10 frames a second!? Somehow I doubt you need that capability, even if it was full-frame.

Results from the field will give the real answer, but if Canon's claim is to be believed, they've managed to increase resolution while vastly improving high ISO performance on the same sized sensor. That's quite a feat if it turns out to be true.

The full-frame 1Ds MK IV can't be far behind - but it won't be cheap. Hopefully, they'll leave the resolution as is (21 MP), and improve ISO performance.

-phil

|
    Mark as:
    Oct 21, 2009 8:27 AM   in reply to P_Shock

They, and any other sensor maker are constantly fighting physics. If the results differences between the dng file run in RAW and the CR2 run in their software is any indication, the physics is winning (no surprise). At  ISO200, the results are atrocious from the dng file in RAW. I know, I know, it's beta. But the noise suppression has to be numero uno.In my book, anyway.

From what I could tell in my brief examination, noise suppression is external to the process on the 7D, while it is internal on the D90. That is to say, Nikon does not let the data out of the camera in any form w/o noise suppression applied. I deduced that by noticing that in camera adjustments for high ISO noise in the Nikon applies to the RAW output.

But then, mybe my deduces are wild.

|
    Mark as:
    Oct 21, 2009 11:28 AM   in reply to Hudechrome-sd9sPI

Are you referring to the 1.0.9 firmware for the 7D that came out a few days ago? Or an update to that?

|
    Mark as:
    Oct 21, 2009 4:25 PM   in reply to John Cornicello

John Cornicello wrote:

Are you referring to the 1.0.9 firmware for the 7D that came out a few days ago? Or an update to that?

I heard rumours of a firmware update, both from the owner of the 7D from his converation with the techs and from the supplier here in Portland. I didn't know one just came out.

Do you know anything of it and possibly what Adobe is going to do to deal with the noise problem?

Message was edited by: Hudechrome

|
    Mark as:
    Oct 22, 2009 3:49 AM   in reply to LRK 2
    You mentioned the resolution is 21 MP in your last paragraph. I think it's currently 16.1 MP but could be wrong.

Yes, the just-announced 1D MK IV is 16.1 MP, but I was referring to the current 1Ds MK III, which is 21 MP. I'm hoping they leave it alone when they update the camera which should help high ISO performance. If the 1Ds MK IV stays at 21 MP and only adds the video capability and a 2 stop improvement in ISO performance, I'd be ecstatic.

Canon seems to want to push the resolution envelope, but that always makes good ISO performance more challenging. (Notice that the high ISO champs (Nikon D3 and the new D3s), are 'only' 12 MP.)

For instance, the 1D III was 10 MP and the new 1D IV takes it to 16 MP. They didn't have to go that high, IMO - 12 MP would have been enough for the target market and ISO performance would have been improved even further than it was (samples I've seen look good though). Same with the 5D replacement - it went from 12 MP to 21 MP in the 5D MK II!  While I love resolution, I would have rather seen this camera jump to only 16 MP - and even better ISO performance than it received.

Oddly though, in the consumer line, Canon actually lowered resolution from 14 MP in the G10 - to 10 MP in the replacement G11 (which vastly improved ISO performance).

-phil

|
    Mark as:
    Oct 22, 2009 10:19 AM   in reply to Hudechrome-sd9sPI

I'm not on the engineering side, so have no idea about what will happen there. I just got a 7D, but it already has the 1.0.9 firmware, so I can't compare it.

As I understand it, Lightroom 2.5 and Camera Raw 5.5 only have very preliminary support for this camera, so I don't expect the same results as I get with other cameras.

|
    Mark as:
    Oct 22, 2009 10:40 AM   in reply to John Cornicello

Can you check the noise at ISO 200? I'm curious as to that problem in the upgrade. If you have Canon DPP software, could you please run a comparison of the niose between it and a dng conversion opened in RAW?

Thanks,

lawrence

|
    Mark as:
1 2 Previous Next

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)

Answers + Points = Status

• 10 points awarded for Correct Answers
  • 5 points awarded for Helpful Answers
  • 10,000+ points