Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Imminent Forum Demise

Community Expert ,
Apr 03, 2009 Apr 03, 2009

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

As you are no doubt aware:

>ANNOUNCEMENT: Forums will be unavailable for planned system maintenance starting at 3pm PST on April 3, 2009. New forums will be online on Monday April 6, 2009.

Will the last person to leave please turn out the lights?

And if you want to go somewhere to get your questions answered where you can also do useful things like post screenshots and files, etc then you are more than welcome at AudioMasters where we might get the odd blown fuse, but at least we can mend them...

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
replies 155 Replies 155

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yup, it's a great resource. I hope everyone will make it across to the new Adobe forums but those who do not may be seen, or at least felt to lurk, over there. Cheers!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'd love to use Audiomasters, but the format of the URLs used for the content pages is blocked by BT's security software as it identifies them as hacking tool sites.

The index page is OK, but URLS with endings like "index.php/board,26.0.html" are blocked.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

>I'd love to use Audiomasters, but the format of the URLs used for the content pages is blocked by BT's security software as it identifies them as hacking tool sites.

I'd be inclined to take that up with BT, considering how many phpbb forum sites there are around. I think that they are being a bit over-protective here; I don't recall anybody ever reporting us as being hackers!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hmmm....we will have to look into that one DaveK!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
People's Champ ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Is this new? I was a BT Internet customer before I left the UK and never had any problems with Audiomasters.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I don't think that it's inherent in BT connections because I often check the forum from a BT-provided system and I don't have any difficulty with it either. And that's not exactly a million miles from DaveK's location...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Apr 06, 2009 Apr 06, 2009

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

SteveG(AudioMasters) wrote:

I don't think that it's inherent in BT connections because I often check the forum from a BT-provided system and I don't have any difficulty with it either. And that's not exactly a million miles from DaveK's location...

OK, couple of clarifications:

Other PHBB forums are fine, it's only Audiomasters I have a problem with.

And when I say BT I mean BT's internal network web filters, not BT Internet. It works fine from home over BT Internet,

Dave

PS - couldn't see how to quote the posting I was replying to!

PPS  - as you were - found it.

PPPS - and just tried AM again  - it worked, once, then next time it got blocked.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Dave K4 wrote:

Other PHBB forums are fine, it's only Audiomasters I have a problem with.

And when I say BT I mean BT's internal network web filters, not BT Internet. It works fine from home over BT Internet,

PPPS - and just tried AM again  - it worked, once, then next time it got blocked.

In that case, we'll look into it, because that shouldn't be happening. Does seem a bit strange that you can get in once and not the second time, though.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Dave,

Could you give it another shot?  I've changed some things that possibly could have caused the problem.

A few years back we actually made a switch to a different forum software, SMF.  If you still cannot login and see the AudioMasters, could you visit the link below and see if you have problems there? (This is the SMF developers forum)

http://www.simplemachines.org/community/index.php

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Engaged ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hey guys, this is not looking good for me here.  Bob, this loads somewhat slowly on my new work computer, but absolutely grinds my home computer to a halt.  I don't know what kind of programming is in use but it is demanding, to say the least.

I had to go away and let my computer (an old P3 running XP and IE7) have time to load these pages.  This computer is not about to be replaced -- I just can't fork it out for better one right now -- and the fact that I can smoothly participate in all kinds of other forums on it, but not this one, is quite the shock.  The end result is that my presence here will be sharply curtailed.  Unless ya'll wanna take up a collection er somethin'.  Just sayin'.

Interesting that having 7 tabs open at once consumes at least half of my CPU when I'm doing absolutely nothing.  Typing pegs it to 100.  Ridiculous.

Steve, as always, thanks for your comments.  I can't understand the permanent loss of the FAQs.  Hopefully we're wrong.  Add to the disappointments the sluggish behemoth that the programming of these pages makes my computer.

Remember when computer programs used to be simple?

Later.  Thanks for everything.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I've tried some different browsers. IE7 and the alternative brower bases on IE7 are slow and lagging. But Firefox 3 is quite smooth. That happens in other web Flash application (like Flash game) that lagging occurs in the "older" browsers. Perhaps IE8 / Opera / Safari will give some preferable result. But I'm using the IE7 for some web page layout reason. Also IE8 still has the character code and unintented cookie clearance issues.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Apr 07, 2009 Apr 07, 2009

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

So far I haven't even be able to use the editor on Opera. Quite ironic, since it's generally regarded as the most 'standards compliant' browser out there. But where o'where do you find properly written webapps these days... Some have claimed the editor is Flash based - well I can't see any Flash here - and actually that could have been an improvement since it would look and work exactly the same on all platforms (even Linux) and in all browsers then...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

MusicConductor wrote:

I can't understand the permanent loss of the FAQs.  Hopefully we're wrong.  Add to the disappointments the sluggish behemoth that the programming of these pages makes my computer.

Whilst I would like to share your hopes, experience taught me years ago that optimists tend to be the ones who get disappointed 99.99% of the time, and it's pessimists who get the occasional nice surprise, because their expectations are effectively zero, and they are therefore only very occasionally disappointed!

I haven't tried the forums with any version of IE, because I stopped using that bugged piece of grungeware years ago. But I have to say that having a forum that isn't browser-agnostic is also NOT VERY CLEVER, IS IT???

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I wonder if there are any backups for the message archives that had been in the Adobe Forums.  If Adobe really is discarding several years worth of discussions, FAQs, etc., it is quite an unnecessary waste.  I tried checking the "Wayback Machine" on archive.org, but its coverage of the Adobe Forums is very patchy.  Maybe it would have been better not to divide discussions into categories tied to specific versions of the software.  If someone at Adobe decides, "Audition 1.5 is old, so let's delete all the messages in that category", it would have been better just to have a general category that does not name software versions.

A lot of the discussions I see under version-specific headings are not really version-specific anyway.  I saw things like questions on dynamic range compression under "Audtion 2.0", and 32-bit versus 24-bit formats under "Audition 1.5".  Due to a user's quirk of posting these in one forum or another, the messages either got deleted or didn't (if under the "Audition 3.0" category, which was preserved).

For the Audition General Discussion, is the set of messages fairly complete from before the transition?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

AudioMasters got a heads-up about the FAQs and 'rescued' them all. Some of them need a bit of a rework anyway, so we're currently working on that. In terms of access to old threads, this has long been a bone of contention - Ozpeter had to make a very deliberate attempt to save threads if they weren't to fall off the bottom of the forum automatically.

AudioMasters, on the other hand, realises the value of some of this older stuff (especially as we created a lot of it), so we don't let go of it anywhere near as easily.

Adobe really doesn't like history, or see any value in it at all. The overall forum management has demonstrated this several times over now, so there can be  no doubt in any serious observer's mind that it's true.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Despised7 wrote:

Hi Dave,

Could you give it another shot?  I've changed some things that possibly could have caused the problem.

A few years back we actually made a switch to a different forum software, SMF.  If you still cannot login and see the AudioMasters, could you visit the link below and see if you have problems there? (This is the SMF developers forum)

http://www.simplemachines.org/community/index.php

Hi Despised,

Whatever you changed seems to have fixed the problem, it's working fine now.

See you all in the other place!

Thanks,

Dave

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Engaged ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

G'night, Gracie!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Is this thing on?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Engaged ,
Apr 05, 2009 Apr 05, 2009

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yep, looks like it is!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

MusicConductor wrote:

Yep, looks like it is!

On??? Well I don't think so. I think that it's pretty 'off' to have ditched all of the FAQs without so much as a 'by your leave', and the software formatting hasn't even picked up the quotes in previous messages properly.

On top of that, there doesn't appear to be an easy way to see whether a thread has been updated unless you want to use that horrible RSS thing (which I don't). The whole thing appears to be a bit of 'nicey nicey' but with no easy way to use it. The old forum sucked somewhat, but it was nowhere near as bad as this.

I mean, having your text in some stupid font really makes a difference to the content, doesn't it?

The whole thing is the triumph of form over function.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hmmm, I like the forum's new look. I like being able to post screenshots and pictures too !!

I also like being able to edit my posts...

To see the full screenshot, click on the picture...

Every Picture tells A Story.jpg

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

djwayne2000 wrote:

I also like being able to edit my posts...

You could edit your posts on the previous forum just as much as you can on this one - ie, not for very long...

And on AudioMasters you've been able to post screenshots ever since we've been there.

And if you look at the list of file formats you can actually post here, can you see any specifically audio ones? I can't. By and large people find it far more useful to be able to post clips of troublesome audio than screenshots, and it looks pretty much as though you simply can't do it. You can't even post a .zip, for heaven's sake...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Engaged ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yep, even those these are up a day early (at least here on the US west coast) they're a mess.  It wouldn't let me use my old screen name or any variation so I had to do this name, with which I'm not happy.  Anyone know how to change that?

And of course the text box for typing these HAD to be flash-based.  *sigh*

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines