This discussion is archived

Forum etiquette FAQ + Moderator Enforcement

Aug 9, 2009 3:58 PM

Latest reply: dave milbut, Aug 14, 2009 5:01 AM
Replies 1 2 Previous Next
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Aug 11, 2009 10:42 AM   in reply to Ansury

Ansury wrote:

"Laissez-faire" style moderation is best.

Quite... Unfortunately, as in cases such as this, the exercise of authority is inversely proportionate to the self-confidence of the moderator.

|
    Mark as:
    Aug 11, 2009 12:30 PM   in reply to Ansury

The majority of the rib poking in the forums is good natured. So we get off topic once in a while: As long as no sea kittens are injured ot killed what harm is there? lol

Lots of posters play with code and such and have their opinions on what should be or can be. Just sometimes the conversation gets out of wack and the slam starts to happen. Then a mod should step in and kindly remind people to keep on track.

This is mild in contrast to the forum feedback when people were asked how the new forums should look like and operate.  

|
    Mark as:
  • Jochem van Dieten
    2,391 posts
    Apr 8, 2001
    Currently Being Moderated
    Aug 12, 2009 12:47 AM   in reply to Ansury

Ansury wrote:

But at the moment (the last few weeks maybe even), this forum is slow enough that I just don't see a problem.

I do. The OP of http://forums.adobe.com/thread/470150 should not have his thread degenerate into some discussion about the smell of cat food. Nor should http://forums.adobe.com/thread/475900 be used as a straw man for jabs at that we would all like to send to Jive or Adobe management, who don't read here anyway

|
    Mark as:
    Aug 12, 2009 11:32 AM   in reply to Jochem van Dieten

jochemd wrote:

I do. The OP of http://forums.adobe.com/thread/470150 should not have his thread degenerate into some discussion about the smell of cat food. Nor should http://forums.adobe.com/thread/475900 be used as a straw man for jabs at that we would all like to send to Jive or Adobe management, who don't read here anyway

Get off your high horse... the OPs question was answered / was pointed in the right direction. If some of the members of this forum get into a bit of light-hearted banter, what's the problem. Same applies to your second example.

For god's sake, this is not the soulless Third Reich! Nor the erstwhile Soviet Union!! Nor the People's Republic of China!!! Nor, most certainly, George Orwell's, "1984".

Give it a break... people come in, answer questions.. something leads to something... there's a bit of kidding around. Kill that, you kill the forums. Haven't you been able to read between the lines? And see the general complaint? These forums were a kind of home, a meeting place where folks interacted, laughed and joshed and in the process passed on / imparted invaluable information. Your attitude is killing that.

It's become:

Question

Answer

Shut UP

(In this regard, one eminent mod, locked a thread i initiated as answered. I protested. He, graciously enough reopened the thread. My real answers came in subsequently. My point is: How dare he arbitrarily lock the thread in the first place?)

Well, my friend you're effectively shutting off all interaction and ruining the atmosphere with your Hitlerian behaviour. Heil!!!

|
    Mark as:
    Aug 12, 2009 11:41 AM   in reply to JayJhabrix

you're effectively shutting off all interaction and ruining the atmosphere

Too late. Or maybe all the problems have solved themselves and everyone is now happy.

|
    Mark as:
    Aug 12, 2009 11:55 AM   in reply to Kath-H

Tonight, I think we should all load in the car and drive to he nearest pasture to do some ole fashion cow tipping to blow off some steam and perk things up a bit.

|
    Mark as:
    Aug 12, 2009 11:59 AM   in reply to JayJhabrix

there will always be some thread drift and if you close a thread for that well I seriously question the mods intelligence. The biggest killer of discussion and learning on this forum is the Jive software as you can't enter the discussion where you left off.

|
    Mark as:
    Aug 12, 2009 12:16 PM   in reply to dec9

dec9 wrote:

Tonight, I think we should all load in the car and drive to he nearest pasture to do some ole fashion cow tipping to blow off some steam and perk things up a bit.

or tossing around like Frisbies, some cow chips. But they have to completely dried out.

|
    Mark as:
    Aug 12, 2009 12:23 PM   in reply to Phillip Jones

Usually helps........

Was just testing the thread drift. It passed.

|
    Mark as:
    Aug 13, 2009 7:20 AM   in reply to Kath-H

Ya know this is what I don't understand about some of you regulars.

Who in the hell cares about the social/community aspect of these forums ?! Some people need a life !!

I sure as hell don't and I've been here probably longer than most of you (since '94 or '95 can't remember exactly). I just never did subscribe to the notion that these are a community platform, but simply for giving BASIC help and assistance to other users of Adobe products. Nothing less, nothing more.

For more detailed help, there are a plethora of free and commercial websites, so the "quality of answer" argument is moot, as these forums are really only for basic help|assistance.

I personally think that Adobe errered and should have never set up the Lounges. All one has to do is look at other companies of Adobe's size that have similar forums. There isn't any such social interaction going on and if people are volunteering to help out they do just that.

I agree with what Jochem is doing. These forums will function much more smoothly if all the noise is eliminated and the folks complaining would just do what the majority of others are doing, by making the best of a bad situation.

Post to help others in the product forums and leave the other social/community aspect for Facebook/Twitter or Friendfeed. This isn't the place anymore and probably never should have been in the first place.

The other is the sense of entitlement some of you seem to have, simply because you've been here for some time and the fact that you've bought some Adobe software. Bull Crap is all I have to say to you -- Grow up !

Why you ask ? Because social cliques have no part in this type of forum, and yes most of you are a clique.

One of the first times I posted here in a long time was this spring. Ramon tore into me because he didn't like my opinions; despite the fact that I never said one mean word to him in the beginning -- He started the entire thing. So yeah I have a gripe with him and everything he stands for in terms of these forums. So these cliques have to go and quite frankly none of you will be terribly missed by the people wanting or needing help. None of us are irreplaceable.

[Edited out personal attack]

|
    Mark as:
    Aug 12, 2009 4:55 PM   in reply to S.D.A.

Check Apple's on forums

and Microsoft's NNTP forums

How about Mozilla's Forums especially the general Forum

Yes it true for Adobe forums are user to user, basic help. But this Forum particularly for is for complaints about the forum software.

Also, some of the subjects have degenerated to fussing, cussing and other unprofessional behavior. (This I might add you contributed some - and I am not without sin myself, though I have kept it to a minimum.)

While you may be only one, of the handful that would prefer to be a curmudgeonly; most people get more results, and retain more information, from a venue that has a human touch.

We are not robots. Your attitude fits perfectly with that Book/movie (1984?) by Orwell.

When you go to the Doctor, do you want one who greets you warmly ask what the matter and listens? Or do you prefer one that says, "what are you here for?" (acting as though he is getting indegestion just looking at you), check your pulse and BP; write a prescription and throws you out the door? I prefer the first. And if I got the second I would be looking for another ASAP

Thank you.

BTW: if that's the way you feel, why are you on this forum?

|
    Mark as:
  • Jochem van Dieten
    2,391 posts
    Apr 8, 2001
    Currently Being Moderated
    Aug 13, 2009 12:46 AM   in reply to Ansury

Ansury wrote on 8/13/2009 4:26 AM:

Personal attack.  Mods? 

Try the report abuse button. That will allow one of the mods that is not

experiencing login issues to act. It is a good idea to use that anyway

as more people are looking at that allowing for a faster response and

mods can get a second opinion.

Jochem

--

Jochem van Dieten

http://jochem.vandieten.net/

|
    Mark as:
    Aug 13, 2009 5:17 AM   in reply to Ansury

I think someone needs to understand what a personal attack is. Musing about something is hardly making it an "attack", but if you really must know -- I'm not the one whom started making things "personal". That was Ramon's doing entirely.

You know Ansury; you came into this Forum quite late and you don't even know half the background of why some people react why they do to Ramon. I was attempting to explain, especially to someone similiar to you (whom are quite relatively fresh to these new forums) that you don't know the entire history; Therefore you really should butt out when you don't know. There are always 2 sides.

That's all from me on the subject.

|
    Mark as:
    Aug 13, 2009 5:32 AM   in reply to Phillip Jones

BTW: if that's the way you feel, why are you on this forum?

Well Philip, definitely not for the social aspect that's for sure. I've been here helping out, time permitting for a long time.

Of course being self-employed means that I often burn the candle at both ends, and am guilty of posting answers at times, when I'm too tired and don't do the answers or the original posters justice. But hey I'm not perfect.

I'm here to offer help to people needing it on Adobe Products, assuming that I can help.

Often when doing so, I learn something from the likes of Zeno, Buko, John J. et al whom are masters at Photoshop. Same with some of the Premier/After Effects folks. Those are areas that I'm a beginner to low intermediate in, so  I'm always learning something.

What about you ?

|
    Mark as:
    Aug 13, 2009 7:25 AM   in reply to Ansury

Ansury wrote:

Personal attack.  Mods?

(I don't mean lock the thread, I mean delete the attack and replace with the usual [Personal attack removed, please read the forum rules] text.)

I edited the post you refererence to remove the personal attack.

Folks; it doesnt matter "who started it", you only have control over one person; You.  Its possible to express differing opinions without attacking people.

|
    Mark as:
    Aug 13, 2009 8:21 AM   in reply to Ansury

The abuse report system is in use.  All Hosts get notified of abuse reports so they can be handled as fast as possible.   But very few Hosts come to this forum anymore.  So in this case an abuse report will generally get faster attention.

However; I already addressed your request as posted earlier.

|
    Mark as:
    Aug 13, 2009 9:13 AM   in reply to S.D.A.

I'm not here for social aspect either. I'm here to help with what I can. But I don't mind a little occasional human interaction, either.  As the old saying goes, "all work and no play makes, billy a dull boy". And that that if ite all work and no human interaction, then become dull mentally your not as up on your game, like you should be. You don't exercise your mind enough, aand if you don't do that then you not as sharp mentally as you should be.

|
    Mark as:
    Aug 13, 2009 1:16 PM   in reply to Phillip Jones

Phillip that must be why your mind is so sharp then. Sorry couldn't resist.

I prefer to get  my human interaction in the real world with people face 2 face. I'm not that keen on socializing in the virtual world unless I know the people in person. Back in the day I ran a BBS and met many of the members in person @ various social events. Here we don't have that. <shrug> I'm a pragmatic person my friend.

|
    Mark as:
    Aug 13, 2009 1:22 PM   in reply to S.D.A.

Hi there

Adobe has that. It's called MAX.

Then again, it does cost more than I'm willing to spend just to get in, let alone travel accommodations!

Cheers... Rick

|
    Mark as:
    Aug 13, 2009 1:31 PM   in reply to Curt Wrigley

Curt there wasn't any personal attack -- Care to explain what it was ? I didn't call anyone a name, use profanity or say anything untrue. I was speculating. What are you -- The thought police now ? Get a grip and don't let people convince you of something like it appears just happened. I thought you were your own man.

I speak to people  here the same way I am with people face 2 face, which is why I have respect among my friends and business acquaintances. Also the psycho babble isn't really needed as it's  rather condescending, which is just as bad as a personal attack. I hope you realize that.

|
    Mark as:
    Aug 13, 2009 1:50 PM   in reply to S.D.A.

You made negative comments about a specific person, by name; then made a prediction of his actions based on a negative character trait; justifying it because "he started it".   Many would consider this baiting an argument.  Even if your accusations are accurate, it does not make it ok.

|
    Mark as:
    Aug 13, 2009 9:09 PM   in reply to Ansury

sorry. this is abuse. argumets is down the hall, 3 doors, on the left. good morning.

|
    Mark as:
    Aug 13, 2009 9:24 PM   in reply to dave milbut

dave milbut wrote:

sorry. this is abuse. argumets is down the hall, 3 doors, on the left. good morning.

Unless you have a dead parrot...

|
    Mark as:
    Aug 14, 2009 5:01 AM   in reply to Curt Wrigley

No no he's not dead, he's, he's restin'! Remarkable bird, the Norwegian Blue, idn'it, ay? Beautiful plumage!

|
    Mark as:
1 2 Previous Next
Actions

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)

Answers + Points = Status

• 10 points awarded for Correct Answers
  • 5 points awarded for Helpful Answers
  • 10,000+ points
  • 1,001-10,000 points