Skip navigation
This discussion is archived

Report Spam or inappropriate content here again.

Jun 29, 2009 7:41 AM

Latest reply: Pat Willener, Oct 14, 2009 10:19 PM
Replies 1 2 3 4 5 ... 7 Previous Next
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Jul 27, 2009 10:40 PM   in reply to Pat Willener

pwillener wrote:

P.P.S. forum hosts and moderators: do you have the ability to update posts?  If so, could you update report posts in here that have been acted upon, e.g. by appending something like done ?

ABSOLUTELY!

It wasn't too much trouble in the old forums, why are those behind the scenes keeping us in the dark about so much?

It doesn't engender an atmosphere of trust nor does it foster this much-vaunted community spirit we keep hearing about!

Pah! 

|
    Mark as:
    Jul 28, 2009 9:29 AM   in reply to Buko.

Dreamweaver forum:

http://forums.adobe.com/message/2137625#2137625

The links look like spam...

<EDIT> But maybe not... there's another post from the same person and no links there...

|
    Mark as:
  • Ramón G Castañeda
    11,247 posts
    Jul 27, 2006
    Currently Being Moderated
    Aug 2, 2009 5:07 PM   in reply to Buko.

Personal information in post 5 (different thread):

http://forums.adobe.com/message/2149271#2149271

|
    Mark as:
    Aug 2, 2009 5:27 PM   in reply to Ramón G Castañeda

I just had a look at that post, and I'm curious. What's inappropriate about putting your contact details in a post?

Noel

|
    Mark as:
    Aug 2, 2009 5:41 PM   in reply to Ildhund

I was wondering myself. If  the person is hawking a website to sell a product or service. That's one thing. But personal wbsite, address, email address. I wonder?

|
    Mark as:
    Aug 2, 2009 6:02 PM   in reply to Phillip Jones

It's considered not terribly clever to post an email address in a public forum, because it might get harvested by a spambot. But you so rarely see them these days that I doubt it's worth the harvester's trouble to trawl through thousands of posts on the off-chance that somebody might have left an address. But the rest of the stuff is only what you could find in a telephone directory.

Noel

|
    Mark as:
    Aug 2, 2009 6:07 PM   in reply to Phillip Jones

PjonesCET wrote:

I was wondering myself. If  the person is hawking a website to sell a product or service. That's one thing. But personal wbsite, address, email address. I wonder?

I don't see any email address in that post (or has it been removed by a Mod?).

The website is not a clickable hyperlink, so I see that as a legitimate part of the contact details.  (Posted clickable hyperlinks are usually spam, as they attempt to increase search engine page rank.)

|
    Mark as:
  • Ramón G Castañeda
    11,247 posts
    Jul 27, 2006
    Aug 2, 2009 6:21 PM   in reply to Ildhund

Ildhund wrote:

I just had a look at that post, and I'm curious. What's inappropriate about putting your contact details in a post?

• Indiscriminate self promotion has traditionally not been allowed in the forums.  It's no different than other types of spam.

• It's simply not prudent or wise.

|
    Mark as:
    Aug 2, 2009 7:41 PM   in reply to Ramón G Castañeda

Ramón, you seem to be even more old fashioned than I am. It seems that you think that these new forums have some relationship with the old ones you, and I, and those too many that have left, used to love. Unfortunately, they don't. I have just come back after one week of abstinence, and what do I find?

1. None of the major issues has been solved.

2. None of the minor ones has been solved either, and we seem to have many new ones. I now have more posts and points than Dave Milbut, people trying to get help on specific topics land in here due to software errors, posts in other threads are temporarily moved in here (although Rick has been honest enough to explain clearly  why he did it), ...

3. There is nothing worth reporting as improvements in the forums, or work in progress, since May 18, except for a brief and almost pathetic appearance of JC in a specific thread.

4. The level of wisecracking and gossiping in this forum is equal, if not higher, than in the old Lounge.

I think you and I should acknowledge that we are like old fosils around here. I am now coming about once a week to see if things are improving and, unfortunately, it seems I am wasting my time. Aren't you also wasting yours?

|
    Mark as:
  • Ramón G Castañeda
    11,247 posts
    Jul 27, 2006
    Aug 2, 2009 8:59 PM   in reply to Claudio González

Yes, Claudio, in some ways I am wasting time here—in ever decreasing amounts.

I read only an infinitesimal fraction of the number of posts I used to and only reply to a few of them.

I've said this more than once before:  the forums have been effectively killed by Adobe.  The damage is done, permanently and irreversibly.  No matter what they do in the future.

I haven't learned a single thing since April 4.  Most of the valuable contributors are gone.

|
    Mark as:
    Aug 3, 2009 5:39 AM   in reply to Pat Willener

There wasn't in this particular case though a website is listed.  But I've seen others that did have. Not often though.

|
    Mark as:
    Aug 3, 2009 6:24 AM   in reply to Ramón G Castañeda

Hi there

Judging from your post count, I might surmise you are an individual that hangs out in the forums to assist others. Is that not the case for you?

Personally, I found that I learned far more by attempting to assist others than I ever learned by watching other, more experienced folks than I at the time, post answers. Sure, you pick up a nugget here and there. But my own experience has been like a key unlocking a vast world of possibilities when you are trying to find a solution to a sticky issue you are trying to help someone else with.

I know we all have our own perceptions, and perception is reality for the perceiver, but in my own opinion, I think the forums have been an overall improvement over what was there before. Then again, I do need to balance that by saying I'm well aware that there were multiple types of forum software in use. I came from the FuseTalk world. The forum sofware you came from may have been a different experience.

Cheers... Rick

|
    Mark as:
    Aug 3, 2009 8:34 AM   in reply to Captiv8r

The forum sofware you came from may have been a different experience.

Cheers... Rick

It was. This thread, just one of many, was started when we knew that the fair forums were doomed and what we had in waiting: http://forums.adobe.com/message/1132788#1132788.

You may have a glimpse of the appearance of the fair forums here:

http://www.bugge.com/Family-and-friends/Illy/Archive/Chat/chat.html

|
    Mark as:
    Aug 3, 2009 9:13 AM   in reply to Jacob Bugge

Jacob Bugge wrote:

You may have a glimpse of the appearance of the fair forums here

|
    Mark as:
    Aug 3, 2009 9:20 AM   in reply to Captiv8r

I came from the FuseTalk world. The forum sofware you came from may have been a different experience.

Certainly was. Simple, plain, fast (usually )

The only addition I welcome is that nifty little camera icon, but it was no big deal to insert a link to an image hosted elsewhere. Oh, and being able to include html in posts without the forum trying to interpret it is useful too, as are attachments. When they don't get queued endlessly.

Most of the rest is unnecessary fluff that just slows things down.

Then again, almost anything would be better than the Fusetalk forums. The loss of NNTP access has been a factor in many well-respected contributors disappearing for ever, big mistake.

|
    Mark as:
    Aug 3, 2009 9:29 AM   in reply to Kath-H

Hi there

I'm sure the loss of folks is hurting a bit.

However, I might counter that with asking what their true motivation was? Were they only assisting here because the forum operation suited the way they liked to play?

If they simply vanished, it seems very close to the attitude one might expect from a five year old.

Well! If the sandbox isn't going to operate MY way, I'm taking my toys and going home!

Sure, NNTP is gone. I'm sure many will miss it. But from what I've seen demonstrated to me via Connect sessions before this whole forum change happened, I really struggle to see how it is all that much different from the way I've always worked. Messages flow into my In-Box via E-Mail, they are automatically sorted into folders according to the rules I've configured. I glance at them and if I am able to assist, I do. Otherwise I let it ride and hope others have an answer.

The whole thing seemed to me to be making Mount everest out of the anthill in my backyard. It seemed so alien coming from folks that one might assume liked to be on the vangard of software and changes.

But that's just me.

The only true control you have over any situation is the way you choose to respond to it...

Cheers... Rick

|
    Mark as:
    Aug 3, 2009 9:41 AM   in reply to Captiv8r

Uhoh Captiv8r, you'd better hope Ann or any of the others that left don't come back and see this... lol!

Captiv8r wrote:

Personally, I found that I learned far more by attempting to assist others than I ever learned by watching other, more experienced folks than I at the time, post answers. Sure, you pick up a nugget here and there. But my own experience has been like a key unlocking a vast world of possibilities when you are trying to find a solution to a sticky issue you are trying to help someone else with.

I feel the same for the most part, but these new crap forums make doing so painful at times.  So much so that I've stopped assisting anyone for the most part, except on days I really feel like it.

|
    Mark as:
    Aug 3, 2009 9:47 AM   in reply to Ansury

LOL, do what you like. Like what you do.

If life tosses me lemons, I choose to make lemonade.

My view is that for everything that goes wrong, a million more go right. It's just the way you choose to handle life.

If I'm not part of the solution, I'm part of the problem. I'd rather be part of the solution.One that benefits the masses. When you are in that mode, you cannot help but to be successful. And your life is soo much less stressful too!

Cheers all... Rick

|
    Mark as:
  • Jochem van Dieten
    2,391 posts
    Apr 8, 2001
    Aug 3, 2009 11:21 AM   in reply to Captiv8r

Captiv8r wrote:

Messages flow into my In-Box via E-Mail, they are automatically sorted into folders according to the rules I've configured.

But the difference is which rules you could configure in which case. With NNTP it is trivial to define rules such as "hide this thread including all future messages". And that doesn't use subject matching or someting which will cause you to miss the next thread with the same subject. You could also do things like prioritize messages that were a response to a message of yourself,  and de-duplicate messages.

Now in theory the same is possible with a fully functional email interface. NNTP is merely a transport mechanism, just as SMTP is. (If you dig fhrough the relevant RFCs enough you might notice that very early on in the 1980's the NNTP message format was mandated to be compatible with the SMTP message format.) But unfortunately the email interface that ClearSpace offers is far from complete. Not only are many optional features from RFC 2821, 2822, 2369, 2919 and 3676 not implemented (and those are just the ones I can immediately identify without doing a real compliance test), also some mandatory features from RFC 2821 are not implemented. So the email implementation from ClearSpace is objectively and verifibly broken.

All of this results in a situation where I can monitor approximately 8 times as many threads in other places as I can do in the same time here.

So to get back to the "true motivation" you mention, I think it is exactly the other way around. It is exactly because helping is more important then points that people are moving away to other places where they can be far more efficient.

Jochem

--

Jochem van Dieten

http://jochem.vandieten.net/

|
    Mark as:
    Aug 3, 2009 11:47 AM   in reply to Buko.

Could he be posting through email and have set to automatically attache a sig file?

|
    Mark as:
    Aug 5, 2009 2:39 AM   in reply to Buko.

http://forums.adobe.com/thread/472686?tstart=0  Look like spam, wrong forum should be on website design

|
    Mark as:
    Aug 5, 2009 5:03 AM   in reply to Captiv8r

Captiv8r wrote:

LOL, do what you like. Like what you do.

If life tosses me lemons, I choose to make lemonade.

My view is that for everything that goes wrong, a million more go right. It's just the way you choose to handle life.

If I'm not part of the solution, I'm part of the problem. I'd rather be part of the solution.One that benefits the masses. When you are in that mode, you cannot help but to be successful. And your life is soo much less stressful too!

Cheers all... Rick

You must have a serious supply of Jiveade by now, then!  (I wouldn't touch the stuff..)

Yeah the problem with that approach for me is that the only 'solution' always seems to be off the table as an option, thanks to the 'informed' decision of some official idiot(s). In this case, I guess that would be whatever exec has 'forum ownership' at Adobe.  The general attitude I take is just to not care no matter how much comes crashing down, seems to work most of the time.

The way to be part of the solution in this case, I guess, would be to start your own competing help forum...

|
    Mark as:
    Aug 8, 2009 11:28 PM   in reply to Buko.

|
    Mark as:
    Aug 10, 2009 9:07 PM   in reply to Buko.

In the Flash Player forum there are an awful amount of posts concerning "GetPlus+ Error 16236.203.235" by users SSHLFrisco, liny11706, NSVOPSD09, and possibly others.  Could someone please check if this is all the same poster (same IP address)?

It is frustrating to find so many multiple posts for one and the same problem.  (Some of which have already been answered last week.)

|
    Mark as:
    Aug 10, 2009 9:07 PM   in reply to Buko.

|
    Mark as:
    Aug 10, 2009 10:00 PM   in reply to Buko.

http://forums.adobe.com/message/2169044#2169044

I am request to hop out my account and please remove my account, thank you.

|
    Mark as:
    Aug 12, 2009 1:38 AM   in reply to Buko.

Spam attracting post which needs removal of information at the bottom: http://forums.adobe.com/message/2171753#2171753

|
    Mark as:
    Aug 12, 2009 11:14 AM   in reply to Buko.

|
    Mark as:
    Aug 12, 2009 12:20 PM   in reply to ~graffiti

Hi, I hope I can use this email to talk to you?

Here what you send me about it, below.

|
    Mark as:
    Aug 12, 2009 1:48 PM   in reply to Buko.

Not sure what this post is about, it doesn't make any sense:

http://forums.adobe.com/thread/476490?tstart=0

I did not click the link since the address appears to be a bit funky.

|
    Mark as:
    Aug 12, 2009 1:51 PM   in reply to Ozzwoman9

Hi there

I clicked the link and it pointed to acrobat.com. I think it's a broken link, there seemed to be an error, which may explain why the poster is upset.

Cheers... Rick

|
    Mark as:
    Aug 13, 2009 4:46 AM   in reply to Buko.

Someone needs to explain the system to this guy:

http://forums.adobe.com/people/suiteone

Can't do it myself since I don't understand the system either.

|
    Mark as:
    Aug 13, 2009 7:49 AM   in reply to John Joslin

This guy has an antispam device on his emails which is effectively spamming wherever he goes.

Ironic eh?

Come on "experts"! Sort it out!

|
    Mark as:
    Aug 13, 2009 7:54 AM   in reply to John Joslin

Hi John

When you see "Community Expert" associated with our names, it is because we are "expert" with the Adobe products we support. For me, that would be Adobe Captivate and Adobe RoboHelp. Others may be experts in Photoshop or Dreamweaver.

I don't believe any of us are recognized as "Experts" for the community overall. Meaning forum design and operation.

Cheers... Rick

|
    Mark as:
    Aug 13, 2009 8:16 AM   in reply to Captiv8r

Just kidding Rick! 

The badge wearers have to put up with a bit of flak from the old diehards now and then!

|
    Mark as:
    Aug 13, 2009 11:22 AM   in reply to John Joslin

John Joslin wrote:

This guy has an antispam device on his emails which is effectively spamming wherever he goes.

Ironic eh?

Come on "experts"! Sort it out!

it get's even funnier when you realize that those spam posts of his contain his email address

By the way, John disabled his notifications so this should all be over.

|
    Mark as:
    Aug 20, 2009 4:01 PM   in reply to Buko.

|
    Mark as:
    Aug 21, 2009 1:29 PM   in reply to Buko.

This person has very questionable posts and one post "feedback" the contact info is a little odd:

http://forums.adobe.com/people/dunamisconcepts

|
    Mark as:
1 2 3 4 5 ... 7 Previous Next
Actions

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)

Answers + Points = Status

• 10 points awarded for Correct Answers
  • 5 points awarded for Helpful Answers
  • 10,000+ points