• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Converting from RH X5 for Word to RH 7 HTML - How to Map Word Styles to CSS Styles?

Jul 27, 2009 Jul 27, 2009

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have been using RH X5 for Word for years, and all my source docs are in Word.

Now, I want to convert to RH 7 HTML, where all my source will be converted to HTML docs.

I could have sworn there was a way to map my styles in my Word source docs to the styles in a custom CSS file I have, but I have not found how to do this yet.

Please help!

Thank you,
Marjorie

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Jul 28, 2009 Jul 28, 2009

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I don't have RH7 here to look at. I can do that later. I thought the import flow offered mapping but it might be linked to a RH supplied CSS, something like RH Style Mapping CSS. If it is, rename that rather than delete it, then name your CSS to whatever the RH one was.

Post back if not resolved and I will look when I have access to a RH7 installation.

See www.grainge.org for RoboHelp and Authoring tips

Help others by clicking Correct Answer if the question is answered. Found the answer elsewhere? Share it here. "Upvote" is for useful posts.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Jul 29, 2009 Jul 29, 2009

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Peter,

I also thought that the import flow for RH 7 HTML offered style mapping, but I tried 3 ways, and none of them provided a mapping dialog remniscent of the mapping dialog for Printed output from RH X5 for Word (where Word source doc styles can be mapped to Word printed output styles).  Anyway, here are the three ways I tried:

1 - Open the RH X5 *.HPJ project using the RH 7 Open dialog

2 - Use the RH 7 Import dialog to convert the RH X5 *.HPJ project

3 - Use the RH 7 Import dialog to convert the RH X5 Word source docs

The only mapping that occurs happens in the 3rd way I tried, and that is how RH 7 determines where to split your Word source docs into separate HTML topics.  It offers you a list of all the styles available in your Word source docs, and you must select the Heading styles where you want RH 7 to make the splits.

Here's how these three ways worked/did not work:

1 - Once I used the steps detailed in my solution below, all styles were "mapped" properly, and all Topic Titles, Topic IDs, links, etc. work properly, with the exception of Index Keywords and Subkeywords (I will explain later).

2 - This way appears to use the same Wizard as Way 1, and it appears to have the same results as Way 1, with three minor (?) exceptions, and in all cases, Way 2 appears superior:

A)  The icon indicating which topics are associated with an Index Keyword is the usual topic icon here in Way 2:  Way 2 Icon.JPG.  However, in Way 1, this icon is not the usual topic icon, and I cannot yet find a definition for the icon I see here in Way 1:  Way 1 Icon.JPG.  (If anyone can recognize and identify this icon for me, I'd love to know!...Oops!  It looks like this was just a Refresh issue, because once I clicked on the second Index keyword entry and then clicked back on the first one, the usual topic icon Way 2 Icon.JPG now appears here.  So, never mind!)

B)  Under "Windows" in the "Project Set-up" pod, I see a choice of "NewWindow" in Way 2 that isn't there in Way 1.

C)  When I inspect all files listed on the File Status tab, a *.PPF file is "Writable" in Way 2, but it "Doesn't exist" in Way 1.

3 - First, I added { xe } codes into the RH X5 Word source docs so that the RH 7 import would be able to convert my Index Keywords and Subkeywords and use the proper indentation (as detailed below).  (I got all these { xe } codes from the printed output, and I only tested my theory that this would work by adding { xe } codes to one book in the RH X5 Word source docs.)  This way did indeed import the Index Keywords and Subkeywords using the proper indentation, but it broke all my Topic Titles, Topic IDs/AKA/File Names, links, and probably more.  These problems make this way useless to me, because I used my Map ID numbers in the Topic ID fields in my RH X5 Word source docs.  Topic IDs from RH X5 become File Names in RH 7 HTML.  RH 7 HTML decided to make up its own File Names upon importing in Way 3.  That meant that a topic I had Topic IDed as "9005" in RH X5 now became a topic named "_K_>_@_Creating_and_Maintaining_a_Tax_Rate.htm" in RH 7 HTML.  I had been thinking that perhaps I would use both Way 2 and Way 3, and then just copy the keywords and subkeywords out of Way 3 and plop them into the Way 2 project.  However, since RH 7 HTML decided to make up its own File Names upon importing, all the file associations would be with names used in Way 3 and not 2.  Sigh.  Not useful on a large scale such as mine.

MY SOLUTION:

Peter, I looked around at your website, and found info there that led me to a solution:

1. Open the Word source docs in RH X5.

2. Follow the instructions in Help for Word to rename the Word styles so their names are identical to the style names used in the desired *.CSS file.  I made sure to match them character-by-character, and I matched them in a case-sensitive manner (I used CAPITALS and lowercase to exactly match the *.CSS style names).

3. Save all, compile all outputs in RH X5, and test all outputs to make sure everything still works properly.

4. Close the RH X5 project.

5. Copy the RH X5 project folder to a separate PC from the RH X5 installation.  (This other PC has RH 7 installed.)

6. In RH 7, open the *.HPJ file (using either Way 1 or 2 detailed above), and using the Wizard, associate all source docs with your desired *.CSS file (use the option labeled "External style sheet based on existing style sheet" and select your desired *.CSS file).  RH 7 is now able to use the styles in your desired *.CSS file, because all the CSS style names match perfectly with the Word source doc style names.

7. Once the project finishes opening in RH 7, select all topics in the Topic List, apply your desired template to all, and then Save All docs.  This step makes sure that all of your *.CSS styles are used properly by RH 7.

The only thing that did not work as I had hoped was the import/conversion of my Index Keywords and Subkeywords.  The problem I am experiencing there seems to be the same as a problem detailed here, where Subkeywords are preceded by the Keyword and a colon instead of just the expected Indent.

For example,

Reports

Detail

Summary

appears as

Reports

Reports:Detail

Reports:Summary

I will post this issue separately in the forums.  I hope that someone has the answer on how to either

• open a RH X5 for Word project in RH 7 HTML, such that either the Index Keywords and Subkeywords behave properly and show up like the first example above.

OR

• provide a workaround short of manually editing the HTML code, to supply the Index Keywords and Subkeywords as shown in the first example above.

Thank you,

Marjorie

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Jul 30, 2009 Jul 30, 2009

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Wow, that is one seriously useful post. You may have seen that Rick and I have been adding some troubleshooting posts to each forum. This post will be referenced from there and I think I will put it on my site somewhere.

Thanks for taking the time to document and post it.

Help others by clicking Correct Answer if the question is answered. Found the answer elsewhere? Share it here. "Upvote" is for useful posts.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Jul 30, 2009 Jul 30, 2009

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Peter,

It was my pleasure to document all that.  I'm honored that you plan to reference it on your site.

Two post-scripts to my last post:

• An old laptop is where I have RH 7 HTML installed.  Way 3 took an inordinately long amount of time to complete.  It took so long, that I left it run overnight to finish.  In Contrast, Ways 1 and 2 only took a few minutes each to complete.

• My new Keyword:Subkeyword issue is now posted here.  I'd love it if someone can give me a better workaround besides manually editing the HTML code in the *.HHK file.

Thanks again for all you do, Peter.

Marjorie

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Aug 01, 2009 Aug 01, 2009

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Marjorie

Thought you might like to see this.

http://forums.adobe.com/thread/468367?tstart=0

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Aug 13, 2009 Aug 13, 2009

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Peter,

Thank you.  I am indeed pleased to see this.  (I was on vacation when you wrote me--sorry it took this long to reply.)

I did try to open the PDF from your site, and was met with an error that it could not be found.  But the links to the post all work.

I am honored, sir.

Marjorie

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Aug 13, 2009 Aug 13, 2009

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

The link works fine, now I have uploaded the PDF file.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Resources
RoboHelp Documentation
Download Adobe RoboHelp