Skip navigation
4 Keys Media
Currently Being Moderated

preventing photo duplication?

Aug 14, 2009 6:44 AM

Can someone please tell me how I can insert photos into a site in CS4 but make it so nobody can copy and paste the photo elsewhere?  I am starting a photography web site and want to ensure the photos can't be duplicated.  Thanks for your time.

Replies
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Aug 14, 2009 6:55 AM   in reply to 4 Keys Media

You might like to look at this recent thread on this topic: http://forums.adobe.com/thread/475825?tstart=90

|
    Mark as:
    Aug 14, 2009 7:02 AM   in reply to Kath-H

Kath-H wrote:

You might like to look at this recent thread on this topic: http://forums.adobe.com/thread/475825?tstart=90

In addition to that, here are a couple of other suggestions:

• Watermark your photos with copyright information.
    • Make sure copyright information is embedded in the image file's data.
    • Websites use low resolution images (72dpi) - anyone copying your image will not be able to use it for print purposes.

However, the bottom line is that, if it's on the web, it can be copied.

|
    Mark as:
    Aug 14, 2009 7:14 AM   in reply to 4 Keys Media

If it shows in a browser - it can be captured. So forget about preventing any and all image downloads becuase that's how the web works - a browser sends a request to a server, the server sends back the HTML/CSS/images and other media, the browser puts it together and renders it to the user and thus the images are actually downloaded to that machine!

But there are some things that you can do to leave your mark on your work:

1. Photoshop a watermark on all your photos - relatively easy to do, can be difficult to remove, may mar your pretty photos.
    2. Use Flash to present your photos - harder to do, can build in features like super high resolution images with zoom capabilities, screen captures only get a screen-resolution quality image, however Flash movies can be decompiled...
    3. Just live with the fact that this is the way the web works, enjoy your creative life and make great photos (this can work with either option 1 or 2 or even by itself)

Of course there's the perfectly fine option of not showing your work online...

|
    Mark as:
    Aug 14, 2009 8:01 AM   in reply to bemdesign

This is such a common question, I have added a new item to the Dreamweaver FAQ: How can I prevent my images from being copied?

|
    Mark as:
    Aug 14, 2009 8:17 AM   in reply to David_Powers

David_Powers wrote:

This is such a common question, I have added a new item to the Dreamweaver FAQ: How can I prevent my images from being copied?

Now we just need people to read the FAQ first before posting a question  :-)

|
    Mark as:
    Aug 14, 2009 8:55 AM   in reply to Nadia-P

>Now we just need people to read the FAQ first before posting a question

Hmm... I suppose you could restructure the forum so the ONLY link on the main page was to go to the FAQ, and then links to various specific forums would be on the main FAQ page (with, of course, no way to add a new topic on the FAQ page itself, since that would be reserved for Moderators)

Nah... people would STILL ignore the FAQ entries and go right to a specific forum and ask without reading

|
    Mark as:

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)

Answers + Points = Status

• 10 points awarded for Correct Answers
  • 5 points awarded for Helpful Answers
  • 10,000+ points
  • 1,001-10,000 points
  • 501-1,000 points
  • 5-500 points