Skip navigation
readysteady101
Currently Being Moderated

Installation problems- Photoshop CS4 Extended, Win XP

Jan 3, 2012 12:14 PM

Hello, Im trying to install the trial version of Photoshop cs4 Extended, but keep getting an error message when setup starts. The message is "Setup has encountered an error, and cannot continue, please contact Adobe support". Nothing else, just that. Im running XP SP3, system is well up to requirements. Any help appreciated. Thanks

Replies
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Aug 14, 2009 12:41 PM   in reply to readysteady101

http://kb2.adobe.com/cps/404/kb404127.html

Give this a shot

Try putting the folder on the desk top and run the .exe from there too. Run as Administrator. Anti virus off. 3rd party fire walls off too.

|
    Mark as:
    Aug 14, 2009 4:40 PM   in reply to readysteady101

Cleanscritp won't work on the registry for the trial versions. The DRM locks people out from trying to get another free download when the trial ends. The only option is to nuke the system and reload in order to get another tral. So if your install went past the DRM point and quit I see no other options.

|
    Mark as:
    Aug 14, 2009 5:37 PM   in reply to readysteady101

Digital Rights Management. It is protection built in the software to protect from theft. I don't know how their system works but it ends up somewhere hidden in the registry and who knows where else. The cleaners have no effect on trial. Just on the paid for product.

|
    Mark as:
    Aug 14, 2009 8:33 PM   in reply to readysteady101

I have the exact same issue. Dell Studio XPS bought around April. Downloaded trial. Can't even get past checking system profile. I get "Setup Error" about five seconds into it. Everything is off: firewall, anti-virus, etc. I even turned off User Account Control. I tried running as administrator. I even tried running 32-bit jscript and vbscript in this fashion:

(source:  http://vidmar.net/weblog/archive/2007/06/29/how-to-install-adobe-photo shop-cs3-on-windows-vista.aspx)

Before installing in Vista Ultimate X64
    Click Start in bottom left
    Search for cmd
    Right click and run as administrator
    type or copy and paste
    cd C:\Windows\SysWow64
    then copy and paste
    regsvr32 jscript.dll
    then copy and paste
    regsvr32 vbscript.dll

Nothing works.

I have no issue installing the same exact file on Windows XP. When installing on my Vista 64 PC, I can't even get past five seconds into "checking system profile".

If anybody has any suggestions, I'd love to hear them if it doesn't involve reinstalling Vista (because that clearly isn't the issue).

|
    Mark as:
    Aug 15, 2009 7:24 AM   in reply to readysteady101

There is a newer version of Windows installer that may help.

http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?FamilyID=5a58b56f-60b6 -4412-95b9-54d056d6f9f4&displaylang=en

After install I would reboot just to be safe. Then after reboot open services.exe and look for windows installer towards the bottom of the list. It should be set to manual. Right click on manual (under start type) and choose properties. Change manual to auto click apply. Then start the service and hit ok then close the window.

Try to re-install.

Sorry, I am running out of ideas. Also you can change windows installer back to manual when your done.

|
    Mark as:
    Aug 15, 2009 2:18 PM   in reply to readysteady101

Well that is progress!!

What I would do is not the typical install. If you choose custom you can select not to install some other adobe items. For example AIR and I think I remember right Adobe reader. There might also be a player listed too. You can always down load this other software later from the website if you wish. Not installing this extra software will not hurt CS4 extended or bridge operation wise.

I did the custom install and everything went fine. Also install only on C drive. (CS4 plays better on C drive)

If you need a pdf reader Foxit makes a good free one and it won't hinder the CS4 install process either. 

|
    Mark as:
    Aug 15, 2009 2:57 PM   in reply to readysteady101

Go to start and type in msconfig and click on it. Click on the startup tab and select disable all. Click apply then ok. You will have to reboot.

Later on you can go back and turn back on items you need to start when the OS starts.

Then try again.

|
    Mark as:
    Aug 15, 2009 5:14 PM   in reply to readysteady101

Your welcome. Glad it works.

|
    Mark as:
    Aug 16, 2009 9:46 PM   in reply to readysteady101

Thanks for all the replies. I figured out the problem. I'm sure this probably only happens to 0.001% of users, but there should be something in the installer/system profile check to tell you the details of the error instead of installation just stopping.

My problem? I had C:\Users\myusername\Documents (My Documents equivalent in WinXP) mapped to a NAS raid drive. I had that drive turned off by accident, and the Adobe Installer was choking when it was looking for that directory. It wasn't choking because the drive location wasn't default, but because it thought diskspace=0 since that drive was off. It would have been nice for the installer to mention the exact reason why it was choking. It took a step-by-step approach going through the install log line-by-line to find out what was wrong. Of course, it was at the end of the log when I noticed it.

Everything installed fine after I turned the drive on.

|
    Mark as:
    Sep 24, 2009 12:21 AM   in reply to readysteady101

hello, but how will i install the adobe photoshop cs4 extended?

|
    Mark as:
    Sep 24, 2009 10:47 AM   in reply to ej sison
    how will i install the adobe photoshop cs4 extended?

Welcome to the forum.

What problem are you having with the installation? The more detail that you can give, the easier it will be for someone to tell you what you need to do. If you are getting error messages, make sure to furnish the complete details of those error messages.

Good luck,

Hunt

|
    Mark as:
    Dec 13, 2011 12:32 AM   in reply to readysteady101

after i installion of the photoshop cs4 extended, i've  try to run the system but a dialog box came out and said, "the licencing of this product expired",

but ialeady put the licence key, an it accept it, but when i try to run it, it always the same  "the licencing of this product expired" keeps comming out

|
    Mark as:
  • Noel Carboni
    23,534 posts
    Dec 23, 2006
    Currently Being Moderated
    Dec 13, 2011 8:32 AM   in reply to bittershank

Any chance the serial number you're trying to use is from a beta version?  They expire.

-Noel

|
    Mark as:

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)

Answers + Points = Status

• 10 points awarded for Correct Answers
  • 5 points awarded for Helpful Answers
  • 10,000+ points
  • 1,001-10,000 points
  • 501-1,000 points