Skip navigation
Currently Being Moderated

problem selecting local root folder in Vista

Jul 13, 2009 10:19 AM

A friend has run into a Dreamweaver problem I can't find any info about. While defining a site, when he tries to set his local root folder by browsing into and selecting it, the local root folder is set one directory higher than the one he's chosen.

I've searched for info on the issue and can't come up with anything However when asking around I have had a couple additional people report the same issue.

I'm not much of a Windows guy so has anyone else seen this issue/have any suggestions for fixing it?

Replies
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Aug 16, 2009 9:35 PM   in reply to DWcourse-EJWncM

I have the EXACT same problem. I thought I was crazy - at least I know I'm not alone.

As mentioned, I try to select the folder for my site and it selects the one folder above the previous. Display below shows that issue in DW CS3 part of CS3 Master Collection on Vista Enterprise x86: (-- the arrow is not that good because I'm using school laptop TouchPad)

dwcs3folderissue.png

Display below shows that issue in DW CS4 (by itself) I just installed on my Windows 7 RTM x64Bit:

dwcs4folder.PNG

I probably never came accross the issue before since I use to type out the locations before. Ever since I became "clicky clicky," it's been bugging me.

Do you have any ideas as to what the issue is?

LK

|
    Mark as:
    Aug 17, 2009 6:45 AM   in reply to DWcourse-EJWncM

I've seen this error posted previously, so you both are not alone  :-)

However, I can't find a reference to it, or whether there was a solution.  If I track it down, I'll post back.

|
    Mark as:
    Aug 17, 2009 1:42 AM   in reply to Nadia-P

It's a known problem, and the only solution is to type in the correct folder name yourself. Alternatively, select a subfolder, and Dreamweaver will select its parent.

This bug has been introduced into Dreamweaver by Windows 7 and the latest Service Packs for Vista and XP.

|
    Mark as:
    Aug 17, 2009 6:19 AM   in reply to DWcourse-EJWncM

jimbocook wrote:

@David, If it's a know issue, is there any info posted about it somewhere? And does it just affect the 64-bit versions of Windows? I haven't run into with the 32-bit versions.

I don't know if there's any official information posted anywhere. However, when I reported it as a bug to Adobe, an engineer contacted me to thank me, and said the problem had already been identified internally by Adobe on Windows 7. I was originally alerted to the problem by Al Sparber, who told me it happened after the Service Pack 2 "upgrade" to Vista. I didn't have SP2 installed, so I tested my version of CS4 (on 32 bit Vista). There was no problem selecting the local root folder. I then installed SP2, and immediately tested it again: the root folder was not selected.

It affects all versions of Dreamweaver, not just CS4. Adobe's comment was that SP2 has obviously brought Vista in line with Windows 7. I have no idea if or when a fix will be made available. It's certainly annoying, but it doesn't prevent the program from working; and I don't create new sites every day, so it's something I can live with.

[Edited to correct (I think) the service pack number]

|
    Mark as:
    Aug 22, 2009 9:10 PM   in reply to DWcourse-EJWncM

i have to say that this problem extend for the CSS browse feature when attaching a CSS Style Sheet the problem is when you select and CSS in the filename input box appears the name, but in the URL input box appears a * if you press ok... the css is linked to * instead of the css file.... the solution that I find is select the filename text and press ctrl+c, and the he put the filename on the URL input text box...

here an image about it

bugDW.jpg

my specs:

lenovo ideapad y510 C2D @1.8 4gb ram vga8600GT@256VRAM HDD 250GB Windows 7 ultimate build 7600

|
    Mark as:
    Sep 11, 2009 5:18 PM   in reply to David_Powers

I am having a related but slightly different problem.  When I go to select a root folder for a new site, I get an error message saying that it is located inside one of my other website root folders (I create and manage several) even though it really is not.  The error message says that if I go ahead, it will cause synchronization problems and in fact it does.  I am using Vista 64bit.  Has anyone else encountered this problem?  Any suggestions?

|
    Mark as:
    Sep 11, 2009 6:01 PM   in reply to Weezie45

Does it matter where the folder is, such as in Documents, or on the Desktop?  Also, has anyone tried creating another profile and see if they still get the issue?  I know sometimes Vista profiles mess things up. Just thinking.

|
    Mark as:
    Sep 11, 2009 6:53 PM   in reply to Lon Winters

@Weezie

That is the same issue; the site definition that you wanted to create is within the same root as one of the other sites that you created before/after the service pack update.

@Winters

It doesn't matter which folder/user: Once it has been updated to the service pack, its global.

|
    Mark as:
    Oct 22, 2009 10:00 PM   in reply to DWcourse-EJWncM

I also have this problem, and it is really starting to make me angry! i just installed it on Windows 7 x64, but I also have the sam problem on another computer running Windows Vista x86.

Does anyone know if this is a confirmed bug from Adobe?

Best regards,

Kalle Ekstrand

|
    Mark as:
    Dec 3, 2009 2:48 PM   in reply to DWcourse-EJWncM

I have the same problem when I use Find/Replace for an entire folder... when I select a forum, it selects the folder above it.

|
    Mark as:
    Jan 14, 2010 9:18 PM   in reply to DWcourse-EJWncM

Is there an Adobe fix for this yet?

It also affects extensions which try to run executables - apparently because the path to the executable isn't returned correctly?

Typing the full path name is not a valid workaround!

|
    Mark as:
    Jan 26, 2010 7:26 AM   in reply to Purple Edge

I'm having this issue too. VERY annoying.

Using Win 7 64-bit. CS4.

Is there a fix? Hello, Adobe?

I've tried everything. Nothing works.

|
    Mark as:
    Feb 11, 2010 9:53 AM   in reply to DWcourse-EJWncM

How is there NOT a fix for this yet? This is not a minor issue. It disrupts workflow on many levels and Windows 7 should be a priority for compatibility one would think.

It's not only with selecting a root folder, but in changing images, etc.  This has been a known issue for more than 6 months. Windows 7 was available for testing long before that.

Is there any hope for a Dreamweaver update soon with a fix for this?

|
    Mark as:
    Feb 11, 2010 2:00 PM   in reply to Thor Simpson

I agree. The silence from Adobe on this issue is disappointingly deafening.

Looking at the Updaters page, it seems that Adobe has never released any updates for Dreamweaver for Windows.

Macromedia were far more responsive to issues like this when they owned Dreamweaver (e.g. 8.0.1 and 8.0.2 were released back in Macromedia's day).

|
    Mark as:
    Feb 11, 2010 2:51 PM   in reply to DWcourse-EJWncM

Unfortunately, when something of this level is left unaddressed for so long, it reduces confidence. The workaround of typing a location instead of using the file dialog was good advice for a week or two while a solution would (assumedly) be put in place. But it's not an acceptable "fix" for a broken file dialog, and this is one long wait.

I deal with this issue 5-10 times every day in my work and it's a serious pain. I must have manually checked for Dreamweaver updates 20 times over the past several months, certain that I'd see this fixed any day.

Since this is a known problem, it would be nice to hear a status update.

|
    Mark as:
    Feb 25, 2010 8:49 AM   in reply to Thor Simpson

2 more weeks gone by, not a peep.

Does anyone at Adobe read these things? Does anybody care?

|
    Mark as:
    Feb 25, 2010 11:09 AM   in reply to Thor Simpson

Thor Simpson wrote:

Does anyone at Adobe read these things? Does anybody care?

These are user-to-user forums. An Adobe presence here is very rare.

Yes, people care, and the bug has been reported to Adobe. If a fix is ever made available, you can be sure that it will be announced here.

|
    Mark as:
    Feb 25, 2010 12:26 PM   in reply to DWcourse-EJWncM

I have noticed this as well. I have contacted Microsoft, and I been told they have no knowledge of this.  I waiting for a response I will forward.  Also has anyone notice upon starting Dreamweaver before even defining a site that your desktop is selected showing in the files panel?  We saw the problem with the root folder being one level further down that Im seeing that my desktop has been already defined, but when I got to manage sites its not in the dialog box.  I thought at first maybe I did something wrong, but after reading these posts must have come from the service pack 2 installation. Cause I did not notice this before.  I have defned sites using basic adn advanced set up and never see anything like this before. The update was installed for service pack 2 10/14/2009

dream2.jpeg

|
    Mark as:
    Feb 25, 2010 12:43 PM   in reply to Six_four_NJ

2 add to my last post I noticed that when I defined my site it also added my shortcuts, but what I noticed when I removed the site and went to mange sites and selected the folder again it wrote in the folder hierarchy correctly never seen this before.

|
    Mark as:
    Feb 27, 2010 4:40 PM   in reply to DWcourse-EJWncM

Count me in as having this exact same issue.  Whether it's Service Pack or not, Adobe receives advance notifications of service pack updates - they have certainly had time to make changes and corrections.

|
    Mark as:
    Feb 27, 2010 5:22 PM   in reply to brooksadgroup

I think most people are having the issue.

I don't think a CS4 patch will be issued.

I suspect all Adobe engineers are focussed on delivering CS5 sometime this year.

|
    Mark as:
    Mar 17, 2010 11:21 AM   in reply to John Waller

I don't think it's unreasonable to be irked by the lack of a proper response to this issue. The issue continues to plague me every day in my work.

If no patch fixes will ever be released for Dreamweaver CS4, what is the point of even reporting bugs? Saying "Buy CS5 to fix this issue that has been known about for months and months with no priority on fixing it" does nothing in the way of customer support or confidence in future releases. Again, this is not some minor issue affecting few people.

|
    Mark as:
    Mar 17, 2010 11:37 AM   in reply to Thor Simpson

Yep agreed.

If Macromedia still owned DW, patches would have been released months ago.

|
    Mark as:
    Mar 22, 2010 3:14 PM   in reply to DWcourse-EJWncM

Well... as an update for everyone out there, this problem is not confined to just Vista.  I got so fed up that I installed Windows7 hoping that it would fix it.  No luck.  Windows7 has the same problem where you have to select a folder below the folder you want so it will work.

|
    Mark as:
    Mar 22, 2010 5:16 PM   in reply to Kevlar

There's actually an FAQ covering both Win 7 and Vista on this issue

Problem selecting local root folder in Vista & Windows 7

http://forums.adobe.com/thread/478327

It's a workaround, not a fix.

|
    Mark as:
    Mar 22, 2010 5:06 PM   in reply to DWcourse-EJWncM

Yes, that is not a fix by any means but at least it is a workaround for that one part of the issue.

However, the bug goes deeper than that. I also encounter this any time I browse to replace an image or file on a page.

Add an image to a page. Then click the folder icon to browse for an image to replace it with. You can't select a new image, unless you go down and toggle the "local/root" setting at the bottom of the dialog. For some reason that kicks things in to start working. You have to toggle it twice to select a new image and retain your previous setting.

This creates a serious breakdown in the workflow, especially when you have a page with a large number of these items to browse for. You have to do it every single time.

|
    Mark as:
    Mar 23, 2010 8:33 AM   in reply to Thor Simpson

I discovered another possible workround, perhaps someone else can verify it.  I also discovered another area that may be affected by this bug.  First the workaround:

• Select the site folder as usual, and verify that the path is incomplete.
    • Cancel out of the site dialog
    • Don't exit the site manager, but just click New again, then browse to the local folder. You'll see that you're already in the folder you want and this time it will take.

This may not be any easier than tying or going in one folder deeper to begin with, but ti may provide a clue to what's really wrong. 

For the other issue, so far I've read about various areas that appear to be affected by this bug.  There is the replacing of images mentioned in a recent post, and I've also read that some extensions have trouble because of it. 

One more may be when you go to insert a div tag where you've already defined the class.  In the dialog in the drop down I select the class and its parent class gets selected instead.  I have to select the one I want a second time for it to take.  This may be a different issue of course, but the similarities are suspicious.

Having said all that, I really don't know why there hasn't been a patch for this yet.  The folder browse API for windows is pretty basic and has been around ever since 3.1!  

|
    Mark as:
    Mar 23, 2010 11:57 AM   in reply to Lon Winters
    function(){return A.apply(null,[this].concat($A(arguments)))}

Having said all that, I really don't know why there hasn't been a patch for this yet.

Unfortunately I think the patch will be released in the next month or two, called Dreamweaver CS5.

|
    Mark as:
    Mar 23, 2010 12:27 PM   in reply to John Waller

That's exactly right. However, I have no confidence that when a Windows 7 service pack comes out, it won't render CS5 a pain to use until we get to pay for CS6.

Leaving known bugs out there for an entire product cycle is troubling. There was no effort made to correct any bugs at all since the intial release of Dreamweaver CS4. I only know this because there has not been one single update.

|
    Mark as:
    May 9, 2010 12:04 AM   in reply to Thor Simpson

We need to petition Adobe. How could we do that?

http://forums.adobe.com/message/2798335#2798335

I think the product management of DW is appalling - Macromedia used to be great - all the other CS products are frequently fixed with dot releases, but DW is always left in the cold after each upgrade.

|
    Mark as:
    Dec 26, 2012 10:18 AM   in reply to dv8kiwi

Well, here it is on the eve of 2013 and I've got the same problem as the long list of Adobe victims above. I create a new site, and I get the warning that the folder for the site I'm creating is inside the folder for another site. Is there an answer? I've searched all over the web.

|
    Mark as:
    Dec 26, 2012 11:15 AM   in reply to bobrast

Hi bobrast. Sorry to hear you've encountered this frustrating issue.

See this article for some solutions: http://helpx.adobe.com/dreamweaver/kb/unable-select-correct-local-root .html

|
    Mark as:
    Dec 26, 2012 11:39 AM   in reply to bobrast

Go to Site > Manage Sites > New Site or Edit Existing Site >

Your local site definition in DW should resemble the screenshot below.

DW-CS6-LocalSiteFolderDef.jpg

A Remote Site Definition should resemble this 2nd screenshot -- where htdocs is your server's root directory.  Some hosts use html_docs or public_html, etc...  If unsure which directory name to use, check with your hosting provider.

CS6-remote-site-root-folder.jpg

Nancy O.

|
    Mark as:

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)

Answers + Points = Status

• 10 points awarded for Correct Answers
  • 5 points awarded for Helpful Answers
  • 10,000+ points
  • 1,001-10,000 points