Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Over 900 slide project ...

Aug 16, 2009 Aug 16, 2009

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

For the past couple of months i have been woking on a project that i had break into 35 captivate project . I wanted to import every project in one master file to publish it as a ".exe" and put in on a CD (with an autorun) so anyone could just pop the cd in their computer and read my project without any requiement.

When trying to publish my huge project, i realise that my dual core 8G ram couldnt publish it because it was too demanding...

My question is, what is the best way to configure all that ?

My first slides are the intro and then there is a menu, with buttons that i wanted to point to slides, if i could've import all of my 34 projects, so you can either "start from the beggining "or you can "pick the lesson" you want in a list.

I want all the lessons to be in the same window. I dont want my project to open a file in a separate window.

Please, help !

Alex

TOPICS
Import export

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Alex

900 slides?!!! That should really exist as about 15 separate projects. You *MIGHT* be able to coax it into 9 different projects of 100 slides each. Wow, I've heard of folks creating projects as long as 350-400 slides (and I offer the same advice to those folks too)

You have a few ways to handle this. Before we delve too deeply, please read the link below.

Click here to read

Cheers... Rick

Helpful and Handy Links

Captivate Wish Form/Bug Reporting Form

Adobe Certified Captivate Training

SorcerStone Blog

Captivate eBooks

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

ok, i read the post about the daisy chain, i had followed the presentation, but when i click on the link that asks me if i want the information about the exe, i download a presentation of 2 slides then after, it gives me an error message. ($ is not a valid integer value) then it gives me black flash player window.

if i follow the link for the swf, i get an error on the webpage, it says :

Something has gone dreadfully wrong here, because you are seeing this page.

Please be advised that those responsible for this atrocity are being punished to the fullest extent of the law as you read this.

Any idea ?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi there

I suppose I should really revise the one I have up on the web. The main intent is to simply show how it may be achieved. On my hard drive I have actual working examples. (I use this sometimes in the Captivate classes I facilitate) The links are for opening examples that don't exist on the web.

Cheers... Rick

Helpful and Handy Links

SorcerStone Blog

Captivate eBooks

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Oh ok, do you think i could somehow see that project, or do you think there is a place i could find some sort of tutorial on how to do the daisy chain, or i heard about the agregator too. But i dont know if its something that could help me...

because i really dont know what to do. i really worked hard on that project, for months... and now that everything is completed, i cant publish it to have my final result... very frustrating.

Would there be some sort of way i could put all of my project in one folder, and then create a master project that would open these project in order or on demand in the same window ?

Thank you so much

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi there

I'm guessing you didn't comprehend the tutorial because it was intended to advise of the three basic steps.

1. Save the behemoth project repeatedly to create copies that will become different segments.
  2. Edit each of the copies to pare them down to reasonable sizes.
  3. Configure each to segment to open the next when finished playing.

The examples that aren't linked only demonstrate the behavior after things are set up. They don't serve a purpose to help show you how to do it.

Cheers... Rick

Helpful and Handy Links

SorcerStone Blog

Captivate eBooks

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Aug 17, 2009 Aug 17, 2009

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi again ! So here is what i did, (i'm sorry for being anoying with this but i just dont understand how to do the daisy chain...)

I have about 35 ".cp" files of about 15 to 50 slides each.

Do i make them point to the ".cp file" or to the .SWF ? Because i tried to make them point to the next SWF, that i had previously exported from the next file, and all it does is open a web page, its looking for an htm file. So i republish my project and i checked "Export the HTM" but it opens the webpage too ... i dont want my project to be in a webpage, i want it to be in a standalone window..

Also, let say i publish the lesson 1, lesson 2, lesson 3, lesson 4, lesson 5 and Menu. What do i do, in what order do i publish them, from 5 to 1 ? Because if i do it from 1 to 5 i dont have the file to associate it with ... Then i link my menu to the SWF  files at the end of it all?

I'm sorry but i dont really understand this daisy chain... all i want is have one exe that will open then other ones after they are played... or maybe when the lesson is over it could return to the menu where the user could pick his next lesson ...

Do you know if there is a tutorial or some sort of explications somewhere on how to do this daisy chain. some sort of step by step for beginners ...

Thank you so much for your help, it's really appreciated... i'm going crazy here !

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Valorous Hero ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi again

I'm assuming you watched the movie. Did you? I ask because in the movie I explicitly advise what you need to do to link from the end of one project to the beginning of the next.

Click this link to open the movie. Once it loads, click the next button nine times to reach the part where how you create the links is described. Please advise what aspect of this is confusing. I've provided the same tutorial to hundreds of others for your exact situation and yours would be the first to have issues with it. It is pretty basic and step by step as you seem to be asking for.

Cheers... Rick

Helpful and Handy Links

SorcerStone Blog

Captivate eBooks

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Me ... again ...

I did read the presentation, but i think my mistakes are when i publish the files. Maybe there are some options i dont set the right way.

I really dont know what it is i'm doing wrong.

Here is exactly what i did.

I have 1.cp, 2.cp, 3.cp, 4.cp in folder "Test".

- Open 1.cp , preferences, project, Start and End, action, open project 2.cp (+ Save and close)

- Open 2.cp , preferences, project, Start and End, action, open project 3.cp (+ Save and close)

- Open 3.cp , preferences, project, Start and End, action, open project 4.cp (+ Save and close)

- Open 4.cp , preferences, project, Start and End, action, open project 1.cp (1.cp being my menu) (+ Save and close)

- Open 1.cp, Publish, Media executable, "1.exe" in Folder "Test\Result\"

- Open 2.cp, Publish, Flash (all options unchecked at the bottom), "2.swf" in Folder "Test\Result\"

- Open 3.cp, Publish, Flash (all options unchecked at the bottom), "3.swf" in Folder "Test\Result\"

- Open 4.cp, Publish, Flash (all options unchecked at the bottom), "4.swf" in Folder "Test\Result\"

When i run my "1.exe" it sarts then at the end, instead of opening my "2.swf" that is located in the same folder as the "1.exe" it opens a webpage with http://2.htm/ in the address bar.

So i republished my videos "2.cp" to "2.swf" with the option "Export HTML" this time checked. But i get the same thing, my window starts, plays the first part then opens a webpage...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Valorous Hero ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi again

So why are you mixing EXE and SWF?

EXE will always have to open a new instance. SWF normally plays in a browser, so if you open a SWF from a EXE, you get a browser. If all are SWF output it should be pretty seamless. You open the browser once. At the very beginning. As the first ends the browser doesn't close. It stays open and the next SWF loads right where the last one was.

Cheers... Rick

Helpful and Handy Links

SorcerStone Blog

Captivate eBooks

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Well the thing is i really dont want to open my project on a browser, its a 640x480 that needs to stay that size so the user can see their desktop, and i dont want the user to have to have any software installed on their computer to be able to read my file.

i want my only requirement to be Windows XP or Windows Vista. The users that will run my project have 0 computer knowledge. They dont even all have a basic understanding of a mouse and keyboard (they are also very old...).

Thats why it needs to be in a standalone .exe file that will run as soon as they put the cd in with an autorun. So the user can run the exe, then select in the menu, either the lessons he's interested in, or start from the beginning to the end.

Do you have any idea of how i can achieve this task ?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Valorous Hero ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi again

When linking, it's best if like calls like. If you are deploying the start page as .EXE, deploy ALL your files as .EXE. If you are Daisy Chaining, each EXE will open in its own instance. No way around that. But as each one opens, the other closes.

Cheers... Rick

Helpful and Handy Links

SorcerStone Blog

Captivate eBooks

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Oh dear ... that sucks...

Do you know any tools that could provide me something like an .exe or whatever that would load my .swfs without any requirements ?

because i really dont wanna have done all that for nothing... I've worked months and months on taht project thinking that i could produce one .exe with all my slides...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Aug 18, 2009 Aug 18, 2009

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Or maybe, is there a SWF player i can find somewhere that is free and i could put on the CD so people could install it first and then run the master SWF on the CD ?

The user could just run the first SWF in a player, then all the other ones would be linked together... Is that something possible ?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Oh... or maybe, is it possible to make the Internet Explorer opens without any controls, toolbar and bars and opens in 640x480 ? You know sometimes you get a popup window and there is no control, your only options are Close and minimize... Is that possible ?

That would really fix my problem !

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi again

LOL - I was about to suggest that the browser is typically free and would open to play the content. The only problem with that is you have no control over what browser is in use on any given PC. Sure, IE has a substantial segment of installed base. But many users also use Firefox or other browsers.

Cheers... Rick

Helpful and Handy Links

SorcerStone Blog

Captivate eBooks

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

right ...

I thought of something else. Is there a way you can prevent the dialog box "Save\Open" to pop when a ".exe" is linked to a button ?

Because i could break my project into 5 x 175~200 slides exported as .exe and have one standalone .exe with 5 buttons linked to my 5 ".exe".

So the user could have the menu, 5 buttons to select his lesson, then the menu could close when the user select the lesson, and finaly reopen at the end of every lesson ...

If i could stop the dialog box and the signature box to open, it would be perfect ...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi there

Are you seeing the Save / Open dialog when testing from CD? Normally that's a web behavior.

Cheers... Rick

Helpful and Handy Links

SorcerStone Blog

Captivate eBooks

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Aug 19, 2009 Aug 19, 2009

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Hi, yes I do have that from the CD. I created my menu, i linked the button to open a file i selected my .exe and its weird becasue when i click on the link that opens the .exe it opens a webpage for a second and then it opens the .exe. Then it asks me for the save\open and then after it asks for the signature...

Thank you

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Resources
Help resources