Skip navigation
This discussion is archived

Report Spam or inappropriate content here again.

Jun 29, 2009 7:41 AM

Latest reply: Pat Willener, Oct 14, 2009 10:19 PM
Replies 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 Previous Next
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Aug 21, 2009 1:56 PM   in reply to Ozzwoman9

yep, real murky case that one, not quite sure what to do with him just yet. I'll leave him be for a while to see how things turn out (and besides, it's midnight around here and i'm tired)

|
    Mark as:
    Aug 21, 2009 2:08 PM   in reply to Zeno Bokor

By all means go to bed

I'm sure Marian will take care of him by morning lol

|
    Mark as:
    Aug 21, 2009 7:38 PM   in reply to Zeno Bokor

Zeno Bokor wrote:

yep, real murky case that one, not quite sure what to do with him just yet. I'll leave him be for a while to see how things turn out (and besides, it's midnight around here and i'm tired)

Seems genuine... but then, i'm a sucker

PS: Always believe in giving the benefit of the doubt...

|
    Mark as:
    Aug 22, 2009 12:36 PM   in reply to Buko.

A spammer in the making...

http://forums.adobe.com/people/ranjaliibow

|
    Mark as:
  • Jochem van Dieten
    2,391 posts
    Apr 8, 2001
    Currently Being Moderated
    Aug 24, 2009 7:22 AM   in reply to ~graffiti

Not my territory so I'll let him/her be for now, but I have added him/her to my watchlist.

|
    Mark as:
    Aug 22, 2009 7:10 PM   in reply to ~graffiti

~graffiti wrote:

A spammer in the making...

http://forums.adobe.com/people/ranjaliibow

Quite... i'd agree

|
    Mark as:
    Aug 23, 2009 7:51 PM   in reply to Buko.

Adobe has made this forum available for users to seek and/or provide help.  Some of us actually still use the forum, and spam is a very annoying interference.

P.S. I mostly report spam through the Report Abuse button; it seems to work faster than posting here.

|
    Mark as:
  • Jochem van Dieten
    2,391 posts
    Apr 8, 2001
    Aug 24, 2009 6:53 AM   in reply to Buko.

Buko. wrote:

I see my original comment was deleted. I say let the spammers spam. Is my comment so powerful and does it hold so much weight it must be deleted?

You post a comment in which you use an exclamation mark instead of an i because otherwise your content won't even get past the built-in profanity filter. And you are seriously suggesting you don't know why your content was moderated?

Pat I find this crappy Jive software annoying. Nobody seems to be doing anything about that.

And nobody is going to unless you deliver the requested information.

|
    Mark as:
  • Jochem van Dieten
    2,391 posts
    Apr 8, 2001
    Aug 24, 2009 7:21 AM   in reply to Buko.

Buko. wrote:

You guys have been getting info from before this mess was implemmented even from your own people who said this was not going to work.

I have no idea which "you guys" you are referring to, nor was I aware that I had my own people.

and in reply to your deletion comment the hosts that have all left because of this crappy jive mess would have deleted just the one word they may have thought was offensive not the entire post.

And all the good users that have left wouldn't have posted the offensive word in the first place. Unfortunately, you're stuck with me and I'm stuck with you.

|
    Mark as:
    Aug 24, 2009 7:38 AM   in reply to Jochem van Dieten

Hi there - Donning my quadruple layers of Nomex here.

Jochem, I must say that your patience has been commendable. I honestly fail to understand what the incessant bashing of both the forums software and you are intended to achieve. I know that I visit the forums to help my fellow humans out. I tend to assume they are doing the best they can with what they have been dealt.

I also know that I can't simply go to the dentist and tell him my mouth hurts when I chew without being rather specific about where the pain is or how bad it is. Likewise, I cannot go to the dealership and just say my car sucks and it's too slow. After all, I see other cars just whizzing around on the highway. I'm going to need some specifics to back up my claim. I know I need to cite the specifics, leave the vehicle with the dealership long enough for them to work on it, then test again.

So for those of you that are complaining about the speed, you really do need to be specific. No, nobody is expecting you to use a stopwatch. It seems odd to me that you seem to have all the time and patience in the world to wait for the pages to load so you can post offensive and goading comments.

Does this mean you should just accept it and move on? Absolutely not. But there are ways to gain the attention and respect of Adobe. Incessant complaining about the stinky forum software likely is going to make them turn a deaf ear to your complaints. The logical process is to report it. Once should be sufficient, give them time to deal with it, then check to see if things improve after they advise back that some change has occurred in an attempt to make things better.

For those of you stating that you feel Adobe simply doesn't care, why do you hang on? What is your purpose for visiting other than to waste bandwidth and Jochem's time?

Cheers... Rick

|
    Mark as:
    Aug 24, 2009 8:00 AM   in reply to Buko.

LOL - I don't believe I was concerned about your having any respect for me. You seem very angry and I really feel sorry for you and hope you manage to find some peace.

I am still very curious as to why you keep hanging on if things are as bad as you claim. I guess you just get some bizarre thrill out of kicking and screaming at something you have absolutely no control over. I know if things frustrated me as badly as they seem to frustrate you, I'd have abandoned the forums long ago and spent my energy elsewhere. So you must find some sort of a redeeming value to them, no?

Cheers... Rick

|
    Mark as:
    Aug 24, 2009 8:25 AM   in reply to Captiv8r

Rick:

I thought you made your living here? Am I mistaken?

|
    Mark as:
    Aug 24, 2009 8:34 AM   in reply to Gyno-jiz

Hi there

No, I'm not an Adobe employee.

My living is earned by facilitating classes and providing consulting on two of Adobe's 80+ products. Adobe Captivate and Adobe RoboHelp. I'm an Adobe Certified Expert in those two products as well as an Adobe Certified Instructor. I'm also an Adobe Community Expert and a member of the Advisory Board for each product.

Other than that, I'm a user and forum participant the same as everyone else here. I use Adobe products each and every day. Overall I love their products and mostly have fun with them. I'm not always happy with some of them, but if one doesn't suit me I find another product that does. Life is too short to waste energy on being angry about any of it.

Cheers... Rick

|
    Mark as:
    Aug 24, 2009 8:45 AM   in reply to Buko.

I never invited you to leave. I'm just curious about why you choose to stay if things bother you as you are implying.

With the forums, You seem to be insistent on comparing the Jive software to some software called Web Crossing. I find that to be a bit like attempting to compare a MiniVan to an Indianapolis race car. Sure, maybe Web Crossing was fast, but it's gone now. We have what we have. We learn to live with it and expect Adobe is doing the best they can or we move on.

I have never used Jive software prior to Adobe's implementation of it here. So I have no clue if what we are seeing is simply characteristic of Jive software or if it's some sort of a server capacity issue. I can tell you that it is comparable to the FuseTalk as well as other forum software that I experienced before the change. From my standpoint it may seem a little bit slower at times, but I consider that with whatever bells and whistles we gained there was a trade off with speed. It's my experience that anytime you gain something in one area you sacrifice something else in another area. That's just life and the balance of the universe.

I'm not sure but there may be some folks that are developing some sort of a front end that allows a different forum experience if you dislike the web interface. If that is offered publicly, perhaps that will be a better alternative to what you see today. Few things happen overnight and immediately.

Cheers... Rick

|
    Mark as:
    Aug 24, 2009 9:37 AM   in reply to Buko.

If Apple use Jive they sure don't show it . And it works fater than this.

That not to say this is Terible. I like this style better than Apple's. I was wondering why threading of email announcements suddenly quit workin on apple's forums.

Evidently this is common defect among all Jive powered forums.

Sure there are bugs. And eveidently Jive or adobe don't read the forums comments here or they would work to improve them. but some how the word will get to right channels and maybe in 5 years they will get them fixed.

|
    Mark as:
  • Jochem van Dieten
    2,391 posts
    Apr 8, 2001
    Aug 24, 2009 9:44 AM   in reply to Phillip Jones

Yes, Apple uses Jive Forums (not Jive ClearSpace). View the source if you have any doubts.

Yes, improvements are being made. But Jive is on a release train model where a back to back fix / enhancement takes 9 to 12 weeks and Adobe is currently on a twice a year update cycle. Even if everything is scheduled immediately it may take 9 months for fixes to become visible.

|
    Mark as:
    Aug 24, 2009 2:17 PM   in reply to Jochem van Dieten

[edited]

I have give you one thread were such comments would be tolerated. This is not that thread.

|
    Mark as:
    Aug 24, 2009 4:22 PM   in reply to Jochem van Dieten

jochemd wrote:

Yes, Apple uses Jive Forums (not Jive ClearSpace). View the source if you have any doubts.

Yes, improvements are being made. But Jive is on a release train model where a back to back fix / enhancement takes 9 to 12 weeks and Adobe is currently on a twice a year update cycle. Even if everything is scheduled immediately it may take 9 months for fixes to become visible.

I don't doubt your word as your the expert. Just didn't know. I'm not into looking at code.

|
    Mark as:
    Aug 24, 2009 6:53 PM   in reply to Jochem van Dieten

jochemd wrote:

Buko. wrote:

I see my original comment was deleted. I say let the spammers spam. Is my comment so powerful and does it hold so much weight it must be deleted?

You post a comment in which you use an exclamation mark instead of an i because otherwise your content won't even get past the built-in profanity filter. And you are seriously suggesting you don't know why your content was moderated?

If you must remove comments for whatever reason, then please delete replies to it as well.  Now I am left with a comment that has absolutely no base, and it makes me feel ridiculous (like I start praising this Adobe forum out of nowhere, in the middle of the spam topic):

pwillener wrote:

Adobe has made this forum available for users to seek and/or provide help.  Some of us actually still use the forum, and spam is a very annoying interference.

P.S. I mostly report spam through the Report Abuse button; it seems to work faster than posting here.

|
    Mark as:
    Aug 24, 2009 7:37 PM   in reply to Buko.

Buko. wrote:

Adobe won't fix the forum don't report SPAM. seems like a "fair exchange"

But spam (not SPAM, which is a registered trademark of Hormel Foods) doesn't bother Adobe, it bothers us, the forum users.

|
    Mark as:
    Aug 24, 2009 8:54 PM   in reply to Buko.

Another "report spam" thread down the toilet.

Oh well. The last spam I reported in here didn't get touched until I used the "report abuse" button in the actual thread.

|
    Mark as:
    Aug 24, 2009 9:03 PM   in reply to Buko.

So can we actually report spammers here and have someone do something about it?

If so, here's an easy target http://forums.adobe.com/people/namiamy selling a competing product even.

|
    Mark as:
    Aug 25, 2009 8:00 AM   in reply to ~graffiti

Hi there

When you report a spammer, it's also helpful to list the thread(s) where you noticed the spam occurring. This helps Adobe to validate that they are a spammer. As a forum moderator, I believe that about all we can do is to delete or edit the threads containing the spam. Only Adobe employees have the power to suspend an account if that action is warranted.

Even the forum mods are expected to forward links to threads when reporting spammers.

One might conclude it would be sufficient to just look at the forum profile. The problem there is that unless they created threads for spamming, they won't show. They usually simply reply to threads. And replies don't get listed there.

Cheers... Rick

|
    Mark as:
    Aug 25, 2009 8:59 AM   in reply to Captiv8r

Captiv8r wrote:

When you report a spammer, it's also helpful to list the thread(s) where you noticed the spam occurring. This helps Adobe to validate that they are a spammer.

Mmmmm...

The joys of puppyhood!

If you'd take the time to read though posts, you'd realise that everytime one of us users – as against whoever – have reported a spam, it's always been accompanied by the link to either the forum -> thread or to the spammer's profile. The latter, naturally, helps moderators identify ALL the forums the spammer may have posted in. OK? Understood?

|
    Mark as:
    Aug 25, 2009 9:04 AM   in reply to ~graffiti

~graffiti wrote:

If so, here's an easy target http://forums.adobe.com/people/namiamy selling a competing product even.

So, went to the profile... all his/her posts are listed but no actual posts at/from the links Someone's been active...

|
    Mark as:
    Aug 25, 2009 9:16 AM   in reply to Captiv8r

Captiv8r wrote:

Hi there

When you report a spammer, it's also helpful to list the thread(s) where you noticed the spam occurring. This helps Adobe to validate that they are a spammer. As a forum moderator, I believe that about all we can do is to delete or edit the threads containing the spam. Only Adobe employees have the power to suspend an account if that action is warranted.

Even the forum mods are expected to forward links to threads when reporting spammers.

Cheers... Rick

All of that persons posts are in his/her profile. We've been told over and over to post a link to the profile for that reason. Plus, they'll more than likely be posting in more threads than I'm going to visit so I won't catch them all.

Captiv8r wrote:

One might conclude it would be sufficient to just look at the forum profile. The problem there is that unless they created threads for spamming, they won't show. They usually simply reply to threads. And replies don't get listed there.

Cheers... Rick

And all of this persons replies are sitting right there in the profile. Easy to find unless I'm misunderstanding you.

|
    Mark as:
    Aug 25, 2009 9:17 AM   in reply to JayJhabrix

JayJhabrix wrote:

~graffiti wrote:

So, went to the profile... all his/her posts are listed but no actual posts at/from the links Someone's been active...

Yup. They've been removed.

|
    Mark as:
    Aug 25, 2009 9:26 AM   in reply to JayJhabrix

Hi Jay

Ummm, the post I referred to simply contained a link to the person's profile. I clicked that link. There was nothing listed in the profile that gave any indication of posts.

If what you are saying is true, I should see 11,000 some odd links in my profile. But all I see are links to posts I started. Not to posts I replied to. I mostly reply.

Cheers from the puppy LOL... Rick

|
    Mark as:
    Aug 25, 2009 9:29 AM   in reply to Captiv8r

LOL, okay okay, so I'm a *growing* puppy!

I finally see that if I scroll the first page down (Which I've never done before today) there are all the links. I would have expected those to be listed in the "Whomever's Stuff" tab, which is where I've always looked.

Sorry for the confusion.... Consider me paper swatted! LOL

|
    Mark as:
    Aug 25, 2009 9:35 AM   in reply to Captiv8r

Captiv8r wrote:

LOL, okay okay, so I'm a *growing* puppy!

What's that old saying?

"You can't run with the big dogs if you pee like a puppy".

|
    Mark as:
    Aug 25, 2009 9:41 AM   in reply to ~graffiti

But I'm only a moderator puppy. I'm a big dog for my products. And I only really moderate the forums for the two products I use.

Besides, if you aren't a growing puppy you will never be a big dog!

Personally, I think if you aren't growing and learning something new each day, you may as well check your pulse as you are likely dead!

Dang, it's also the first mistake I ever made.

As Thomas Alva Edison said: I have not failed. I've just found 10,000 ways that won't work.

Happy Tuesday all... Rick

|
    Mark as:
    Aug 25, 2009 9:43 AM   in reply to Captiv8r

Captiv8r wrote:

I finally see that if I scroll the first page down (Which I've never done before today) there are all the links. I would have expected those to be listed in the "Whomever's Stuff" tab, which is where I've always looked.

Aah! At last a moderator, puppy though he may be , with a sense of humour... unlike so many others here

Yup...  for some strange reason – not so strange actually when you realise Jive is involved – 'Profile' gives posts / threads you've replied to / participated in. 'Whomever's Stuff' gives the threads / posts you've originated... yup, kind of rear end backwards... but that's these Jive A$$ forums for you... <shrug>

|
    Mark as:
    Aug 25, 2009 9:46 AM   in reply to ~graffiti

~graffiti wrote:

Yup. They've been removed.

Would have been interesting to see the competing products though....

|
    Mark as:
Actions

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)

Answers + Points = Status

• 10 points awarded for Correct Answers
  • 5 points awarded for Helpful Answers
  • 10,000+ points
  • 1,001-10,000 points
  • 501-1,000 points