Skip navigation
Erik Terkelsen
Currently Being Moderated

cshow problems in Distiller 9.1

Aug 28, 2009 6:13 AM

Hi all,

I'm having these nasty PostScript-problem which I can't seem to find a solution for. Out of all the files for three major newspaper being distilled every day I get the following postscript-error on 1-3 files every day:

NewspaperAds_1v3(1).joboptions
%%[ Error: typecheck; OffendingCommand: cshow ]%%

Stack:
{--pop-- --pop-- ct_str1 --exch-- 0 --exch-- --put-- ct_str1 --show--
{_ct_na _ct_i --get--} --stopped-- {--pop-- --pop--} {_ct_x _ct_y
--moveto-- 0 --rmoveto--} --ifelse-- /_ct_i _ct_i 1 --add-- --def--
--currentpoint-- /_ct_y --exch-- --def-- /_ct_x --exch-- --def--}
-mark-
-mark-

If I send the same PS-files to the RIP they will RIP with no problem. If I open the same PS-files in Apple Preview they open fine with all fonts embedded as subset.

I'm pretty sure that it has something to do with fonts, but can anybody point me in the right direction?

Actually I have 8 files that all fail on a Windows 2008 Server running Distiller 9.1. I I run the same files through Distiller 9.1 on another computer running Distiller 9.1 under Windows XP (using the same settings), 5 out of these 8 files are OK. Same thing happens if I run the files through Distiller 9.1 on Mac OS 10.5.6
--
Regards
Erik Terkelsen

Replies
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Aug 28, 2009 6:16 AM   in reply to Erik Terkelsen

For the record, we were in direct contact with this user and were not able to reproduce his problem with his file here at Adobe.

- Dov

|
    Mark as:
    May 3, 2011 11:08 AM   in reply to Erik Terkelsen

We have also encounter this problem with Distiller 9.4.222

Same folder/joboptions files. Works fine in Distiller 8.

I can provide postscript file if anyone is interested?  send email to [email address removed by host]

%%[ ProductName: Distiller ]%%

Stack:

/g

-mark-

-save-

%%[ Flushing: rest of job (to end-of-file) will be ignored ]%%

%%[ Warning: PostScript error. No PDF file produced. ] %%

|
    Mark as:
    May 3, 2011 4:42 AM   in reply to Erik Terkelsen

Same postscript file - new font collection.

Problem solved (I hope).

|
    Mark as:
    May 3, 2011 5:08 AM   in reply to ChristiaMoe

Not

New file/page - same error.

|
    Mark as:
    Aug 7, 2011 2:10 PM   in reply to Erik Terkelsen

I have several eBooks in PDF format that seem to suffer from the same issue - very frustrating.  It apparently is an issue with Adobe 9, and the workaround is to back-level to 8?  Adobe - are you listening?  What is the solution for Acrobat 9?

(I have 9.4.5 Acrobat Standard installed; even Adobe Reader gives me the same issue.  I have "repaired" the installation and I have checked for updates (there are none).  This is very frustrating - where does one begin?)

Marty

|
    Mark as:
    Aug 7, 2011 9:23 PM   in reply to mjm_photo

Please understand that this forum is absolutely not an official portal for Adobe Technical Support nor is it official feedback to Adobe's engineering organization. It is a user-to-user forum frequented primaily by end users.

It is very unclear from your posting what your problem is. The original thread was related to what appears to be intermittent PostScript errors occurring when distilling certain PostScript files into PDF with Distiller 9.1. The problem file was analyzed at Adobe and the problem was not reproducible at that time with that particular PostScript file with the provided joboptions. Furthermore, the problem wasn't consistently reproducible on the user's systems. It seemed to vary by system. Perhaps it was a temporary disk space issue, a system configuration issue, etc. But we never were able to find the problem.

You are stating that you “have several eBooks in PDF format that seem to suffer from the same issue.” The problem originally stated was not with PDF files, but rather, with processing PostScript files. Thus, it is not clear how you are relating whatever symptoms you are seeing in Adobe Reader and Acrobat Standard with PDF files with PostScript errors in Distiller.

Please better describe exactly what symptoms you are seeing including error messages, screen shots, etc. such that some assistance may be provided. If it isn't a Distiller error, you really should have started a new thread, and preferably in the Acrobat forums for which this seems to more appropriate.

- Dov

|
    Mark as:
    Aug 17, 2011 10:55 AM   in reply to Dov Isaacs

Not sure whether this will help or add more confusion but...I had a similar "cshow" error recently on two files.  I am currrently using Acrobat Pro 9, Distiller 9, Enfocus Pitstop, Preps 5.3 to an older Harlequin Rip platemaker on Windows platforms. We are converting to and/or using pdf files for all print jobs.

The files showed no errors during Preflight Profile however when I sent them from Preps to the platemaker the first page ripped fine but the second page flushed and gave me a cshow error.  Both files did the same thing.  I tried using Acrobat to save as a postscript and then distill them back to pdfs but they did the same thing.

The files I received from my customer were pdf's they had downloaded from the internet so there was no way to go back to original files.

I used Pitstop to analyze and give me a report and saw that most of the fonts used were NewTimesRoman PSMT True Type fonts except for one line of type on each page which was a Times Type 1 font (which was embedded).  I remapped the Type 1 version to a True Type version and then the files worked fine.

I don't understand why since there was a line of Type 1 font each page the first page would rip and the second one would not...but remapping the font solved the problem.

|
    Mark as:
    Apr 26, 2012 1:23 PM   in reply to Dov Isaacs

Hi Dov,

I get the same problem, but intermittently. I cannot determine what conditions are present when the problem appears, and when Distiller works correctly.  Here is what I get when the Distiller "coughs" and doesn't produce a PDF from another PDF.

Incedentally, my OS is Win-7 Pro

Acrobat Pro 9.5.1

Tom Cagan

Stack:

-file-

|
    Mark as:
    Aug 10, 2012 7:24 AM   in reply to Erik Terkelsen

I have come across this problem several times and many others too,

I always find that using the pdf optimizer in Acrobat clears up most problems like this without comprimising the job, any rogue postscript or pdf's i ahve get this treatment and its never failed me yet.

|
    Mark as:
    Sep 11, 2012 2:12 PM   in reply to Andrew Barrington

I agree that pdf optimizer works most of the time, but not in my case.  I got a similar error trying to print an offending PDF to another PDF using Adobe PDF (the converter used as virtual printer).  I use Acrobat 9.5.2 on Windows 7. Printing this file worked fine when sent to a Xerox document center.  Since this error occurred consistently, I was able to try trick after trick until I got something that kinda worked.

Stack:
    -file-
    --moveto-- 0 --exch-- --rmoveto--} --ifelse-- /_ct_i _ct_i 1 --add--
    --def-- --currentpoint-- /_ct_y --exch-- --def-- /_ct_x --exch-- --def--}

If I had to guess this error comes from Acrobat trying to substitute a system font for an embedded True Type font with custom encoding.  To get the offending PDF to convert, I went into the properties of the Adobe PDF (virtual printer) accessed through the Print dialog box. In the tab, Adobe PDF Settings, I cleared the "rely on system fonts only" checkmark.  This simple thing allowed the distiller to do its job and convert the PDF into another PDF.  Unfotunately, this is not a "fix" it is a work-around because the True Type font with custom encoding is still in the resultant PDF.

|
    Mark as:

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)

Answers + Points = Status

• 10 points awarded for Correct Answers
  • 5 points awarded for Helpful Answers
  • 10,000+ points
  • 1,001-10,000 points
  • 501-1,000 points
  • 5-500 points