Skip navigation

Is Freehand MX11.02 10.6 Snow Leopard compatible?

Jun 7, 2009 3:53 AM

Latest reply: Dan at Power, Dec 12, 2009 2:20 PM
Replies 1 2 3 4 Previous Next
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Sep 3, 2009 2:39 PM   in reply to davecc

I signed up to www.freefreehand.org as well. 

I also had a chance to run Illustrator CS4 at the office (www.xtranormal.com) today and I was horrified at the 1.6 GIGABYTES footprint!  Wow.  Freehand barely tips the scales at 50MB and it still does everything I need.  I still can't navigate through the bizarre toolset in that application.

Sorry for the hijack.

PS: I still can't get freehand running.  Mostly because I installed Snow Leopard over 10.5 and have no way to reinstall the app since it doesn't ask for the serial number. I even tried replacing the "Macromedia" directory in Library/Application Support/

|
    Mark as:
    Sep 3, 2009 2:48 PM   in reply to thumahawk

Thanks for the link. I too, signed up. I have been a Freehand user since 1988.

|
    Mark as:
    Sep 3, 2009 3:57 PM   in reply to RicardoO

I signed up too. Still have my Altsys beta floppies from back when it was evolving from Fontographer. (Just now I really feel old!)

|
    Mark as:
    Sep 4, 2009 6:56 AM   in reply to hackcess

Thank you all for joining our freefreehand community. We are steadily growing.

As for hackcess: It is strange, I did exactly the same. I had 10.5.x in use with FreeHand, then installed 10.6 as an upgrade over 10.5.x, started FreeHand, was asked for Rosetta install, did that, and FH is working since then. I suppose it something else that prevents your FH from running. May be an extension or even a font. Try to remove all extensions and fonts and then try again.

Regards,

Thü

|
    Mark as:
    Sep 9, 2009 4:44 AM   in reply to thumahawk

Hello fellow FreeHanders. I am really lost. I have also tried everything. I even downloaded again my last update from Adobe and also the trial. But they do not start. I hope somebody finds a solution - or else I have to buy an old used Mac and again the FreeHand Mx to use my files - thousands of them. This is because I tried on a fellow worker´s Mac to install the Mx there but Adobe´s registration did not allow me to use the old serial number because it is already registered (yes it is - to me)!

|
    Mark as:
    Sep 9, 2009 5:46 AM   in reply to KariHalmetoja

@KariHalmetoja

send sos to us/at/timelabs/de

|
    Mark as:
    Sep 11, 2009 12:08 PM   in reply to RicardoO

Dear Free People, thank you all for your contributions towards the problem. I`m very happy for the opportunity to use my favorite programm at least 2 more years, until the next major update of the os (called lion, finally?) and let´s hope it will run on the next and the next and so on …

I absolutely agree that illOStraitor has always been the inferior product, you simply can´t work with it, I tried it many times. And it grows worse from version to version. As mentioned before, fh is simply slicker, more intuitive and just more fun considering its ease of use. I recall sneaking around art school with a single floppy disk containing version 2 of aldus fh and installing it to a mac plus with 10" screen in a minute. the macs were only equiped with illOStraitor and the admin was strict with illegally material installed. so when I left the computer I dragged the programm to the trash until the next install ;-) – compare it with today with gigabytes of installation, activation and so on – what a dream in that times.

|
    Mark as:
    Sep 14, 2009 8:15 AM   in reply to RicardoO

Anyone have trouble with spaces? If you have Freehand assigned to a space and open multiple documents are opened in the space 1

Thanks

|
    Mark as:
    Sep 14, 2009 8:29 AM   in reply to Pedro J. Sempere-eb0rfw

Pedro,

For the Spaces to work properly with FH:

1. You want to go to System Preferences / Exposé & Spaces.

2. Half way down the window, there's a space for "Application Assignments"

3. Add Freehand by clicking the '+' icon to the lower left.

4. Make it whatever you want, "every space" (shows up regardless of space you're in), or assign it a specific space.

Without that assignment, when I'd click on FH from another space, FH would jump to that "new" space, instead of taking me back to the Space FH had been in.

Hope that helps.

ps. Anybody else notice if this lack of assignment also happens with other Rosetta/PPC apps? other Universal/Intel apps?

|
    Mark as:
    Sep 14, 2009 8:53 AM   in reply to RicardoO

I had been unable to replicate the success of others which was quite frustrating but I finally got everything working and wanted to post my solution.  I think it either comes down to lack of complete details in the posted instructions, here is how I was able to get it working properly:

Step 1: Delete your local installation of Freehand.  This *includes* the /Library/Application Support/Macromedia directory (well, place it on the desktop)

Step 2: Reinstall Freehand. VERY IMPORTANT—DO NOT RUN FREEHAND AFTER INSTALL OR PROCEDURE WILL FAIL

Step 3: Recreate the Macromedia directory

Step 4: Place your "FreeHand MXa Registration" file back into the newly created Macromedia directory

Step 5: Run Freehand

For whatever reason, this was the only way I was capable of repairing my licensed copy of Freehand. Simply updating the "FreeHand MXa Registration" file or installing a new copy of Freehand *without* first removing the Macromedia directory did nothing to help my situation.

A couple of things you should be aware of:

1) You may need a serial number which starts with WPD700...

2) If you had other registration information for Flash, Fireworks etc, you can safely move those back into the Macromedia directory.

|
    Mark as:
    Sep 15, 2009 12:26 PM   in reply to hackcess

hackcess:

I was excited to see your 5-step suggested route for getting FH up and running in Snow Leopard.

Alas, it did nothing better/different than before I tried it. I did: delete the old install & removed the Macromedia directory (to the Desktop), reinstalled FH MX, and finally moved the Application Support > Macromedia > Freehand MXa Registration file from another older computer to the MacBook Pro I'm trying to get it to work on. Double-clicked to open . . . same results as before -- a bouncing icon to Nowheresville.

I have a serial # beginning with FHD110 . . . maybe that's the issue?

Is anyone receiving word about what Adobe's response is, or are they completely mum on the entire issue !?

UGH. What a mess . . . FH is the lone app that I've discovered (so far) that doesn't open or prompt me to allow Rosetta to open the 'legacy' app.

|
    Mark as:
    Sep 15, 2009 11:57 PM   in reply to stenphen

stenphen wrote:

I have a serial # beginning with FHD110 . . . maybe that's the issue?

You need a volume serial, not a single serial. The problem is the registration process at startup.

My FHD110-Number doesn't work either.

|
    Mark as:
    Sep 17, 2009 12:38 PM   in reply to RicardoO

Greetings,

I write today as part of an effort to solicit advice in a matter of great concern to many who rely upon computer software for their livelihoods and the implications of Adobe's (legal adjective removed) behavior upon those individuals. As the matter is outlined quite clearly on our organization's web site, I will refer you there for further explanation.

http://www.freefreehand.org

Though our site has been live for just over a week, we now claim membership numbers approaching 2,000. If we can only raise awareness and reach the full extent of our potential audience, our belief is that our numbers will rise into the tens of thousand or perhaps greater.

Once it's clear that we represent a substantial community, we believe we may have more sway in the issue at hand. Efforts are currently focused on the question: how can we reach our audience in order to build the community? At this point we are an organization of minimal financial resources, but we hope to change that through donations in the near future.

A number of online media outlets have reported the founding of our organization, but in Europe only. Oddly, the U.S. media seems intent on ignoring us.

So far we have contacted the following organizations:

EFF

Free Software Foundation

Free Software Foundation Europe

The Federal Trade Commission

The European Commission's antitrust enforcement agency

The California Attorneys General

Consumer Union

Public Interest Research Group

We appreciate any advice you have to offer as we build our grassroots campaign. In part this is fueled by the fact that Adobe's business practices have caused real harm to individuals and small businesses, and in part by the fact that, in principal if not in actual legal fact, Adobe has crossed the line in establishing a monopoly in vector editing software.

regards,

FreeFreehand.org

|
    Mark as:
    Sep 18, 2009 12:10 PM   in reply to RicardoO

Hi everyone,

I've tried everything on these posts but still no look in making Freehand work on 10.6. I must be doing something wrong. Can anybody do a stage by stage screen grab of what to do? Long live Freehand MX.

Thanks,

Dan.

|
    Mark as:
    Sep 19, 2009 3:43 AM   in reply to Umac_de

Hi,

I had a single license but have reinstalled using a volume license. I'm getting confused with what you have to do with the application support in the Library folder. As I have a Library on the hard drive and the Library folder on my user folder.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Dan.

|
    Mark as:
    Sep 19, 2009 3:58 AM   in reply to Dannybear

Hi,

put the registration file (->attachment) into ->

/Library/Application Support/Macromedia/FreeHand MXa Registration

/Library always means Volume/Library.

User/Library is always written as ~/Library.

It's a volumenumber.

It should work.

I cannot use my own registration number either.

best regards

Uwe Sievers

am 19.09.09 12:44 Uhr schrieb Dannybear unter forums@adobe.com:

Hi,

I had a single license but have reinstalled using a volume license. I'm

getting confused with what you have to do with the application support in the

Library folder. As I have a Library on the hard drive and the Library folder

on my user folder.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Dan.

>

|
    Mark as:
    Sep 19, 2009 4:05 AM   in reply to Dannybear

Dan, yes, there are two Library folders. The one is your "home" library stores all the files needed to work FH, whereas from what I can tell, the one on your hard drive is the one you need to "fix" for this issue. For me, it was simply a registration issue. Each time MX wanted to start up, it went through the entire startup process until it would freeze toward the end, looking for a registration file (which was always fine, a simple single user license). After seeing all of the posts here, I quickly realized that what I need to do is dump that registration file and make it "find" a new one. For me, it entailed LOTS of tinkering and finally figuring it out as I detailed in an earlier post. For others, it simply meant taking the old registration file from the folder and when FH MX would ask for it, you replace it with a volume license and VOILA. The registration file resides in your Hard Drive/Library/Application Support/Macromedia. There are so many workarounds posted here - reinstalling, pulling from another drive, downloading a new copy of MX from Adobe's site, etc.. Just keep trying to find what works for you, but from my experience, you simply have to get MX to use the volume registration.

|
    Mark as:
    Sep 19, 2009 4:12 AM   in reply to jeffhoo

Thanks, I will give this a try, Thanks for your help. It's really annoying as most of our illustrations and graphics are done in in Freehand MX which is is our preferred choice as I feel it is creatively better. We do use illustrator but I find it clunky.

I will let you all know how I get on.

Thanks,

Dan.

|
    Mark as:
    Sep 21, 2009 7:10 AM   in reply to RicardoO

Hi to everyone,

anyone got a screen shot walk through for getting Freehand Mx to work on 10.6? I appreciate the help I have received so far, however I think I maybe not doing something which is obvious and I don't know what that is. Basically I need someone to hold my hand through this. As I say I have tried everything so far.

All I get is the icon bouncing and fading away. I've reinstalled, changed licence user, changed to volume licence....

Really any help would be great.

Kind regards,

Dan

|
    Mark as:
    Sep 21, 2009 11:06 PM   in reply to RicardoO

I'm not sure if this will help, but I had a download (from Adobe) of FH 11.00

Installed that, and it worked, tried 11.02, and no go.

Each one has a unique password, but I tried the work arounds, and 3-4 other tries, and nothing seemed to work for me.

I'll take 11.00 over nothing.

Hope that helps.

|
    Mark as:
    Sep 21, 2009 11:58 PM   in reply to Nicholas Osborne

Do you mean you downloaded the trial from Adobe? But it is time limited to 30 days I beliefe.

And you have a full 11.02 that does not work in Snow Leopard, whyle the 11 trial does? That is interesting... Maybe it has to do with the registration, as many say they had to use another license type/number in order to get FH working.

Thomas

www.freefreehand.org

|
    Mark as:
    Sep 22, 2009 4:47 AM   in reply to jeffhoo

I've done it!

Hi to everyone and those who have helped me. I have finally done it and it was quite simple.

I did it the following way.

1. I found the volume licence which is on on of the earlier posts
    2. In the help menu of freehand i transferred the licence, shut freehand and the reopened it and put the volume licence in. I did this while in 10.5.
    3. I then found the Freehand Mxa Registration in Application support in your Library zipped it and put in on the desktop and deleted the original registration file.
    4. I upgraded to 10.6
    5. When prompted to use Rosetta for another application such has Entourage or any other application I clicked Later or Ignore
    6. I unzipped the Freehand Mxa Registration and put it back in the Application support Macromedia Folder in your Library.
    7. I opened freehand and it asked me to download rosetta. I clicked yes.
    8. Finally, clicked on the Freehand app and hey presto! it worked.

I feel like Derren Brown when he showed us how he predicted the lottery - phew! what a relief

Hope this helps anyone.

Regards,

Dan

|
    Mark as:
    Sep 25, 2009 4:15 AM   in reply to Dannybear

Yes I was successful. I started FMXa with a volume license on an old g4 and put the registry in the library before I started FMXa under SNOW LEO. Super it runs.

|
    Mark as:
    Sep 25, 2009 5:49 AM   in reply to graphik@mengler-co.de

Hi everyone,

We have now released an official solution you can access here:http://kb2.adobe.com/cps/504/cpsid_50468.html

This is a Freehand registration file you replace your own copy with. This will bypass the activation component which causes the crash on Snow Leopard. Please use the above link rather than relinking the file to the forum since we are tracking the number of times documents get accessed to give us a and idea of the scale of particular issues.

I would like to thank everyone for their patience and input on getting a working solution.

Cheers,

Davide

|
    Mark as:
    Sep 25, 2009 7:36 AM   in reply to Davide M

David, what is your reason for wanting to "get an idea of the scale of particular issues"? What particular issues exactly? This one, other ones? If you know how many people who have upgraded to Snow Leopard still use FreeHand (although many have already resolved their installation issues), what do you intend to do with that information? Is Adobe committed to ongoing support for FreeHand in matters such as this, and others to come, indefinitely into the future? What about the fact that people still want to use this application and Adobe won't develop a release to run on Intel Macs? Can users of FreeHand expect that their legally purchased licenses might grant them some rights in this matter, that they should have a say in the future of the software? What happens when the day arrives where there is no fix for a certain hardware and OS combination? Will Adobe give us all the hard boot or can we expect some kind of communication channel to open up?

there is a new radio broadcast wrt this topic on TechNightOwl: http://www.technightowl.com/radio/

best of luck everyone.

Elvis

http://www.freefreehand.org/

|
    Mark as:
    Sep 25, 2009 8:11 AM   in reply to Davide M

Davide,

Thanks for the link and note -- worked like a charm to replace the old registration code with the one now being provided.

Like Elvis, I (and I suppose many others in the Freehand users community) would like some further information on what Adobe's plans are. We need some answers -- some of us depend on Freehand for the bulk of our livelihoods -- a few "long-term planning" details would be most welcomed from Adobe.

Personally, it is beginning to reek of Microsoft-ish policy when discussing Adobe: Buy up competitors, or squash them if they're unable to 'comply'. You can see where this culture of quashing any 'threat' to a monopoly has gotten them in recent months, as they continue to avoid the concept "Competition Is Good For Business & Product Development". Churning out similar but slightly "upgraded" versions of Illustrator will keep Illustrator-only users happy for a while, but those who honed their skills on Macromedia Freehand will always remember the features "Adobe killed off".

I'm not a diehard Freehand user, since I don't do much illustrating -- but its multi-page feature/function is crucial to the occasional brochure or booklet I format in Freehand (instead of using large-scale layout apps such as InDesign or single-page-only Illustrator). If anything, I could easily be convinced to not need any Adobe products, since the bulk of what I do for a living is web development. There are decent open-source image editors that would suffice over Photoshop, and though Adobe did the right thing by keeping the superior Dreamweaver alive over the clunky GoLive (why not the same for Freehand!? Hmmmmm...) I find myself not wanting to build in proprietary formating when developing web sites but rather build it from scratch in clean XHTML/CSS and PHP. And since Flash is practically useless to search engines, I find that I'm using javascript to create more-dynamic content since it is completely useful to search engines.

So, that being said, Adobe is not indispensable -- rather, it seems Adobe needs to heed its consumers' voices and be in clear communication on such issues as this registration file and other lingering (yet often unresolved) issues with software and upgrades and the like. Just my 2¢... Glad to see that Freehand will live to see any day or three. Thanks again... we look forward to hearing more positive news about Adobe's plans for Freehand's future.

|
    Mark as:
    Sep 25, 2009 8:15 AM   in reply to Davide M

Davide,

While I am a Diehard Freehand user, thanks to whomever developed this, 

and listened to the consumers to fix FreeHand.

Yes, I agree with slamming Adobe for what they are doing/did to 

Freehand, so I won't make this personal to you.

Just add another tally in the appropriate column for me.

Thanks,

Nick

|
    Mark as:
    Sep 25, 2009 8:25 AM   in reply to Elvis Alien

Hi Elvis,

We track all of our documents in order to track the magnitude of any given issue.

Needless to say, the larger the number of times a given document is accessed, the more it will grab the attention of the relevant teams.

As for what our product teams will do with that information, I cannot comment on since I am not part of the management teams that make any related decisions. I am part of the the support group that writes technical documents and researches technical issues.

I really cannot comment on the future for Freehand beyond what is already on our product pages here:

http://www.adobe.com/products/freehand/?promoid=DJDWL

Cheers,

Davide

|
    Mark as:
    Sep 25, 2009 8:38 AM   in reply to Davide M

Question. I just read the Adobe Freehand page and it says this:

"FreeHand customers can switch to Illustrator CS4 for US$199 (volume 

licensing also available), and access complimentary resources to ease 

the transition."

Can someone tell me what the "complimentary resources to ease the 

transition" are? Is there an importer that doesn't destroy my Freehand 

files?

Best regards,

Gary Piland

Umbrella

785-221-2246

6316 SW Bayshore Drive

Auburn, KS 66402

http://www.UmbrellaUmbrella.com

Never forget your Umbrella.

:::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::: ::::::::::::::

|
    Mark as:
    Sep 25, 2009 8:46 AM   in reply to Davide M

Question. I just read the Adobe Freehand page and it says this:

"FreeHand customers can switch to Illustrator CS4 for US$199 (volume

licensing also available), and access complimentary resources to ease

the transition."

Can someone tell me what the "complimentary resources to ease the

transition" are? Is there an importer that doesn't destroy my Freehand

files?

I have CS3, what is the upgrade cost to CS4?

Regards,

Nick

|
    Mark as:
    Sep 25, 2009 10:08 AM   in reply to Nicholas Osborne

Answer.

Who [obscenity deleted by moderator] want's to work with Illustrator?

|
    Mark as:
    Sep 25, 2009 9:29 AM   in reply to Davide M

Did you really just send me that godforsaken link? Puh-leeeease.

Yeah, yeah, yeah, and I already parsed the messaging here:

Check out this question on Free FreeHand Q&A:

Why is Adobe still selling Freehand if they think it is dead?

http://freefreehand.yousaidit.com/questions/5402-why-is-adobe-still-se lling-freehand-if-they-think-it-is-dead

with this answer:

their product page says it all: http://www.adobe.com/products/freehand/

the ADOBE AND THE FUTURE OF FREEHAND section spells out their planning indirectly...

para 1: there's no future for this product

para 2: but we're still nice, thoughtful, and interested in what our customers want

para 3: token acknowledgment of respect, now buy our other product

para 4: Illustrator is better than FreeHand. Hey, I bet you can't do that in FreeHand!

para 5: now here's a great deal for you. shut up and go buy it.

now please go tell the management teams and any other relevant teams that a lot of FreeHand users are fed up and pissed off with Adobe, and furthermore that we're NOT switching to Illustrator because the software is an obnoxious mess. Adobe can either work directly with us to find a happy resolution for all, or they can watch a sizable batch of paying customers walk away. And that's if Adobe is lucky in the outcome.

Cheers back atcha.

|
    Mark as:
    Sep 25, 2009 11:39 AM   in reply to Elvis Alien

Well, it does mention "complimentary" things to help us. I was just 

curious what they were and if they actually existed.

Best regards,

Gary Piland

:::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::: ::::::::::::::

|
    Mark as:
    Sep 25, 2009 11:55 AM   in reply to Gary Piland

Good question. Opening FreeHand Files with Illustrator is possible, but so far it is usable only for simple things like logos or documents with few objects. Anything more complex has to be revised carefully and usually it is difficult to edit, as gradients are changed into rows of lines, groups, layers and specially inserts are mixed up. We have tried it with CS3. I do not beliefe that CS4 is any better, but we check it out in our FreeHand forum.

Greetings

Thü Hürlimann

Initiator of www.freefreehand.org

|
    Mark as:
    Sep 25, 2009 5:30 PM   in reply to Nicholas Osborne

Hey everyone, keep this in mind.

I am a Diehard FeeHand user, and hate what Adobe has done to FH and the users, BUT they did provide an official fix, that works.

Don't throw anger or use foul language at the individuals that come here to help.

Adobe thinks their product is best. (it's not for FH users)

I hate working with illustrator, but a lot of people love it.

Best thing, try to to get Adobe to release the FH code, or lobby enough to get them to do something, but they have stated they have no desire or intention of doing anything.

Be civil. Play nice.

Be professional.

Imagine what would happen if Apple ever bought Adobe (remember the rumors?)

Do you think they would keep Premiere?

Go ahead and flame me now.

|
    Mark as:
    Sep 26, 2009 12:10 AM   in reply to Nicholas Osborne

No, no flames. It's a fair point... speaking of point, 10pt is too small at midnight so you get the big and horsey font.

First of all, you're right: no need for expletives or to shoot the messenger of those purportedly, um, "helping" us poor FreeHand users. At any rate I hope your comment wasn't directed at me because I even threw a "please" into my last post somewhere. Granted there's a hint of derision, but strained civility is there. That being said, I think it's important and within our rights to state in clear English when one is frustrated or angered by a situation. Davide can either interpret that as anger "thrown at" him or understand it for what it is: we don't have any ability to communicate directly with Adobe, they don't acknowledge our long term concerns or unhappiness with their decisions concerning the future of FreeHand--the company is utterly opaque! So along comes some technical support staff, very blithely delivering the message "hey we fixed your problem" (albeit a month later with no prior acknowledgement of the issue that I know of) thinking we'd all pat him on the back and ask that he extend our deepest gratitude to his boss in Management? I think it's silly to do anything less than point out to him, in no uncertain terms, that he's been told to deliver a puny olive branch and that it's in everyone's interest that he pass along a message, to whomever at Adobe is paid to care about things like this, that THEY have made choices to cause these sentiments. And you know, I think he got that message and I think he will pass it along (but you're right: no one needed to start in with swearing.) Hopefully he wasn't personally affronted--but to take a soft and feathery approach to the matter will only result in not being taken seriously.

To your "best thing" point, let's get real. Adobe will only understand legal action and/or negative PR, it seems quite clear to me.

No, I'm not flaming you. You're a FreeHand user! But I do intend to speak my mind when moved to. Yes, they provided an official fix to the SL installation problem. Adobe in its infinite wisdom has granted us the privilege of continuing the unworthy practice of installing FreeHand and using it for a little while longer. This time. Thank you, Adobe. Thanks a lot.

|
    Mark as:
    Nov 2, 2009 4:59 PM   in reply to Davide M

This solution does not work for me.

I have an individual licence not a volume one.

i have tried every suggestion I have seen posted on web forums and none of them work.

I have CS4 (there are still unresolved problems that occur when saving files and quitting CS4 apps) and although I use illustrator, I immeasurably prefer FreeHand for many everyday activities and Illustrator still does not import FreeHand files in their entirety.

|
    Mark as:
    Nov 2, 2009 5:37 PM   in reply to edtechweb

You need to replace your registration file with the one posted, kindly, by Adobe (http://kb2.adobe.com/cps/504/cpsid_50468.html) it is a volume licence. 

cw

|
    Mark as:
    Nov 2, 2009 5:55 PM   in reply to calcanuck

I have already tried that but it didn't work.

edtechweb

|
    Mark as:
    Nov 3, 2009 12:05 AM   in reply to RicardoO

Yes I was successful. I started FMXa with a volume license on an old g4 and put the registry in the library before I started FMXa under SNOW LEO. Super it runs. Try it again, that was the way it runs.

|
    Mark as:
Actions

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)

Answers + Points = Status

• 10 points awarded for Correct Answers
  • 5 points awarded for Helpful Answers
  • 10,000+ points
  • 1,001-10,000 points
  • 501-1,000 points