Skip navigation
Currently Being Moderated

Lightroom Keeps Reloading

Sep 6, 2009 11:19 PM

After I have done an edit in Photoshop from Lightroom and save the Tiff so that the edited file is back in Lightroom, the preview keeps reloading in the Develop module.  An ideas how to stop this?

Replies
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Sep 7, 2009 9:40 AM   in reply to David MMMM

Switch to Library mode!

But do you mean the preview of the original RAW, or a preview of the edited TIFF? Are you unable to select other images?

|
    Mark as:
    Sep 7, 2009 3:17 PM   in reply to David MMMM

Are you doing batch processing? Could PS be finishing up some action and sending it to LR? I can't figure out what else would cause LR to interrupt your working on one image with another. Could you describe in a bit more detail what happens?

|
    Mark as:
    Sep 7, 2009 4:32 PM   in reply to David MMMM

I would quit LR, and reopen with the Option key (mac) and the equiv. Windows key down to bring up the dialog that lets you optimize the catalog. If no joy on relaunch, try deleting LR Prefs. How to locate Preferences files in LR

|
    Mark as:
    Sep 8, 2009 12:56 AM   in reply to David MMMM

David MMMM wrote:

Not sure what you mean by optimizing the catalog.

Go to edit, catalog settings, relaunch and optimise

|
    Mark as:
    Jul 12, 2010 10:18 AM   in reply to David MMMM

Ligtroom 3, Photoshop CS4, Vista SP2

I scanned abot 90 slides and saved in TIFF format and I wanted to use Lightroom to manage and edit some adjustments to them, but some editings are best done in Photoshop like removing dirt spots and hairs, they are too much in some cases and makes impractical to do that in Lightroom.

So I imported the TIFF files in Lightroom and started to do some adjustments (color and contrast mainly) and when I get to a picture that needs to be edited in Photoshop I type Ctrl+E and opened (Edit original no Lightroom adjustments, no duplicate). I did the necessary editing in Photoshop then save the file.

Now, back in Lightroom I noted that this file losses any adjustment prior the file being sent to Photoshop. Then in Development it displays that is Loading the image and the adjustment controls to the right are greyed. After that, if I made some adjustment it reloads the image, and again and in every adjustment.

Throwing away the preview and doing it again at full size didn't help either.

I did the optimization you have mentioned here and there is no change. The only thing that works is relaunching Lightroom, totally impractical I think.

Thanks for any help.

|
    Mark as:
    Sep 11, 2010 1:41 PM   in reply to David MMMM

I have the same problem.  While editing images, the image keeps reloading time and time again, interrupting my editing and in some cases, causing a loss of adjustments made prior to the "reload".  I read about this problem here, and also, in other forums.  I think I have found a fix/work-around, although I don't really like it.  If you turn off the option to automatically write changes into XMP in the catalog settings, the problem seems to disappear.

I wish someone at Adobe could report this as a problem, and try to fix it prior to the next maintenance release (I'm using LR 3 by the way).

Kenny in NJ

|
    Mark as:
    Nov 20, 2010 8:20 PM   in reply to KennyinNJ

I'd like to report that I also have the same problem after upgrading to LR 3. I also 'write changes to sidecar XMP'.

Anytime I open an image from LR --> PS, then save it from PS, even if I quit PS, LR keeps reloading the image over and over ad nauseam. Which makes it impossible to edit the file (especially when it's a 300MB film scan, LOL). I have to quit LR to get it working again.

Please someone look into this b/c it's unacceptable to have to quit both LR & PS every single time I make an edit to an image in PS!

Thanks,
    Rishi

|
    Mark as:
  • Victoria Bampton
    5,302 posts
    Apr 1, 2008
    Nov 22, 2010 1:12 PM   in reply to sarangiman

Rishi, have you updated to 3.2 or 3.3RC, or are you still on 3.0?

|
    Mark as:
    Nov 22, 2010 1:15 PM   in reply to Victoria Bampton

3.3RC. Turned off 'write to sidecar XMP' option & haven't had the problem since.

Rishi

|
    Mark as:
    Feb 23, 2011 6:47 PM   in reply to David MMMM

Same problem since upgrading from Lightroom 2.X to 3.3

I edit a lot of photos externally in PTLensEdit, then when developing the photo it keeps reloading the photo on every adjustment as described above.

ONLY happens on externally edited photos.  Very annoying.

My current workaround is to make a virtual copy of the edited photo, and develop that.

The virtual copy does not suffer from the continual reloading problem.

|
    Mark as:
    Feb 23, 2011 7:04 PM   in reply to SkyePN

It's because you have sidecar XMPs enabled. I had to, grudgingly, turn that off.

Rishi

Sent from my iPhone

|
    Mark as:
    Feb 23, 2011 7:41 PM   in reply to sarangiman

Disabling sidecar XMP is not a reason, it's a workaround for a LR3 bug.

Anyway I'm editing JPG files not RAW - there are no XMP files being generated.

|
    Mark as:
    Feb 23, 2011 8:07 PM   in reply to SkyePN

sure it's not a reason, it's a workaround. i agree. which is why i

said 'grudgingly'.

xmp files are generated for any image, not just raw. it's how LR

tracks edits to your image, including JPEGs, if you enable the sidecar

option.

why don't you turn it off & restart LR & see if the problem persists?

rishi

|
    Mark as:
    Feb 23, 2011 10:43 PM   in reply to sarangiman

Restarting LR fixes the reload problem, however I have 300+ photos to edit by Friday so doing that after every edit is just too slow.  My workaround of using virtual copies of edited photos is the best workaround for me, for now.

|
    Mark as:
    Feb 23, 2011 10:47 PM   in reply to SkyePN

Can you answer me this simple question:

Under Catalog Settings, do you have 'automatically write changes into

XMP' checked or not?

|
    Mark as:
    Sep 27, 2011 8:29 AM   in reply to David MMMM

Here we are, 6 months since the last post and 2 years since the first, now at Lightroom version 3.4.1, and this problem still exists.  The edit function that bothers me the most with this is cropping.  It is very annoying and frustrating to have the image expand, contract and jump around for 2 or 3 seconds while reloading everytime I make an adjustment to the crop rectangle.  Yes, the couple of workarounds, using virtual copies and not writing to XMP files, work, but are not acceptable for long term use.  It seems to me that not writing to XMP files defeats the purpose of having a non-destructive editor if you can't save the changes as you go.  I hope Adobe eventually fixes this, but maybe they are leaving it until LR 4 is available, if they are even paying attention to this forum.

|
    Mark as:
    Sep 19, 2012 4:47 AM   in reply to JCHolcomb47

And here we are three years after the initial post, and the problem is still exactly the same. My routine work-around is also making a virtual copy of the edited file, to be able to do further edits in LR without constant reloading.

Dear Adobe, I sincerely think it is about time that you fixed this problem. I am sure that thousands of people must be annoyed by it on daily basis.

|
    Mark as:
  • Victoria Bampton
    5,302 posts
    Apr 1, 2008
    Sep 19, 2012 11:18 AM   in reply to larslarslarslars

This is a user to user forum and Adobe employees don't follow this too carefully.  Might I recommend creating a problem report on the Official Feature Request/Bug Report Forum where it will be seen by the engineers and tracked properly?

And a couple of questions for my own understanding of the issue:

1.  Do you see it with 'automatically write to xmp' disabled?

2.  Do you still see it if you flick to a different photo and then flick back, having given it a few seconds to write to xmp?

|
    Mark as:
    Sep 20, 2012 8:15 AM   in reply to larslarslarslars

Although I had reported this same issue a year ago while still using Lightroom 3.6, I have not seen it in Lightroom 4.  When I upgraded to LR4, I left my catalog settings set to NOT automatically write changes to xmp files, but when I saw these last two replies, I decided to try it again.  I just did that, and it seems to work fine.  The xmp files seem to be written to in the background, and I don't see any affect on the editing process.  LR4.1 is still a bit slower than 3.6, but it's still fast enough for most of what I do.  I'm glad this issue appears to be fixed.

|
    Mark as:
    Sep 20, 2012 8:53 AM   in reply to JCHolcomb47

No, not fixed in 4.2RC...........just checked.

Turning off "automatically write to xmp" does not always help. Here that did nothing.

The problem is the tiff file that LR writes when using an external editor or when ACR is not up to date with LR.

If Photoshop writes the tiff coming back to LR, there is no problem in LR, no blinkies, no "Loading".

The problem only occurs when LR writes the tiff file. I have not tried it with PSD.

I haven't tried creating a VC to work on, I just close and reopen the program......voila...no more blinkies.

I have posted this twice in bug reports, the first time back in 3.x something. This started about 3.0.

And for the record, I also think this bug is long overdue. It seems to have the lifespan of a cockroach.

Rich

|
    Mark as:
  • Victoria Bampton
    5,302 posts
    Apr 1, 2008
    Sep 21, 2012 1:03 AM   in reply to R Owens

R Owens wrote:

I have posted this twice in bug reports, the first time back in 3.x something. This started about 3.0.

Great, have you got a link please?  You'll be able to access it from your bug report forum profile.  I couldn't find it so I was obviously searching on the wrong words.

|
    Mark as:
    Nov 8, 2012 9:48 AM   in reply to Victoria Bampton

Back on Sep. 20th, I had reported that this problem seemed to have gone away, but R Owens came back and said it had not.  I now realize R Owens is correct; I think I had not been working with the files in the way that produces the problem, or else the problem now manifests it self in a more limited way.  I just ran a couple of tests that illustrates the issue clearly.  This is while running Lightroom 4.2 with Camera RAW 7.2 and Photoshop CS5 version 12.0.4 with Camera RAW version 6.7.0.339.

If I open a .CR2 file in Photoshop, I am asked whether to Render Using Lightroom or Open Anyway.  If I render with LR, the resulting TIF file will reload each time I manipulate it in the LR Develop module.  For example, using the crop tool, each time I resize the crop rectangle, or move the image within the rectangle, the file reloads, which takes a couple of seconds and is very annoying, as well as time consuming when it happens 7 or 8 times.  However, if I choose "Open Anyway," the resulting TIF file does not display this behavior.   Evidently this does has something to do with the incompatibilty between ACR versions in Lightroom and Photoshop.  Turning off Automatically write changes to xmp also stops this from happening, at least for me.  I also found that TIF files generated by exporting directly to TIF from Lightroom do not have this problem. 

So it's relatively easy to bypass this problem by converting to TIF first, or open in Photoshop without using Lightroom's current Camera RAW version, but is still something that shouldn't happen anyway.

|
    Mark as:

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)

Answers + Points = Status

• 10 points awarded for Correct Answers
  • 5 points awarded for Helpful Answers
  • 10,000+ points
  • 1,001-10,000 points
  • 501-1,000 points
  • 5-500 points