Skip navigation
maginethepossibilities
Currently Being Moderated

Problems with justified text in Illustrator 3

Sep 7, 2009 10:46 PM

Help! I have a tight deadline.

I am using Illustrator CS3 on a Mac. I have often run into this problem. Using area text, I select justify with last line aligned left. Within random paragraphs, however, the occasional line does not fully justify. Other times, the text extends beyond the text box. Any suggestions would be appreciated. I have made sure there are no funky invisible characters.

Replies
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Sep 8, 2009 12:21 AM   in reply to maginethepossibilities

What font/ fonts are you using? This may be an issue with the embedded kerning info that prevents correct calculation of the glyph distribution and hyphenation.

Mylenium

|
    Mark as:
    Sep 8, 2009 6:27 AM   in reply to maginethepossibilities

Do you have Adobe Every Line Composer chosen as the method of input?

Or do you have Adobe Single Line Composer. Trey Every Line Composer and see what you think.

|
    Mark as:
    Sep 8, 2009 10:20 AM   in reply to maginethepossibilities

Does it change if you reset the tracking for the whole paragraph? Individual lines may be custom tracked.

|
    Mark as:
    Sep 8, 2009 11:51 AM   in reply to PrepressPro1

Does this post look like the same problem?

CS2: cannot fully justify text in rectangular frame

I have had this problem using the last the betas of Illustrator (every version of Illustrator above 8 is a beta). The only thing that worked was playing with the justification settings. We can either accept he buggy text engine Adobe has been happy to sell us for years or we can hold their nuts to the fire until they fix it.

|
    Mark as:
    Oct 28, 2010 7:50 AM   in reply to Scott Falkner

Scott,

I am new to Illustrator coming from Freehand and today got the same issue with "Justify Text with last line aligned left". Followed your solution and it worked for me.

Thanks,

David

|
    Mark as:
    Oct 28, 2010 8:45 AM   in reply to maginethepossibilities

Have you changed the values of the parargraph palette flyout menu >> justification? If so set them back to the original values (as in the image below), turn on your preview and begin to tweak them). Negative numbers are allowed in letter spacing but they disrupt justification as in your problem.

Picture 2.png

|
    Mark as:
    Oct 28, 2010 10:05 AM   in reply to Mike Gondek

Hi Mike,

The text I was having an issue with was opened from a Freehand document. Changed the values to the default and all is well.

David

|
    Mark as:

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)

Answers + Points = Status

• 10 points awarded for Correct Answers
  • 5 points awarded for Helpful Answers
  • 10,000+ points
  • 1,001-10,000 points
  • 501-1,000 points