Skip navigation
This discussion is archived
Frans_Drent
Currently Being Moderated

Experiences RAW 5.5 RC and DNG?

Sep 8, 2009 3:08 AM

Made some shots with my D300s. Comparing jpeg with converted NEF learned that the jpeg results are so much better. Never happened with my D200 NEFs. Problems with red lights, pictures to soft (and sharpening will not help much, pics deteriorate). Any other or similar experiences?

FD

Replies
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Sep 8, 2009 5:39 PM   in reply to Frans_Drent

Perhaps you can post an example NEF and JPEG showing the problem.

Eric

|
    Mark as:
    Sep 9, 2009 5:33 AM   in reply to Frans_Drent

Frans_Drent wrote:

How does this work? The NEF (DNG) is a very big file.

To upload your NEFs (or DNGs), try yousendit.com. It is free for the basic service and allows up to 100MB uploads. You post the URL they give you and Eric as well as others will be able to access the file.

http://www.yousendit.com

If your results are not what you want, you should make sure that the profiles for your camera are installed. These more or less duplicate the in camera picture styles. Unlike Capture NX, ACR does not read the style applied by the camera. You have to apply it yourself. I have a D70, D200, and D3 and am getting excellent results with all of them.

|
    Mark as:
    Sep 9, 2009 12:46 PM   in reply to Frans_Drent

Frans_Drent wrote:

I think the jpeg looks better than the one from the NEF original. Don't tell me I made the wrong settings in Lightroom, because I've made many RAW conversions from NEFs out of my D200 and they were much better than the standard jpgs.

The renderings are different, but you should really post the NEF as Eric requested. Then we could compare various ACR adjustments with the image rendered by the camera

|
    Mark as:
    Sep 9, 2009 2:32 PM   in reply to Frans_Drent

Frans_Drent wrote:

I hope this original NEF file helps.

I did some experimenting on the DNG file in Lightroom. To remove CA with my lens I had the setting red -31, blue 0, and defringe all edges. I used this also with the D200 which worked fine. I've changed these now to red -31, blue +8 and highlight edges. The red lights look better now, though a little more CA is visible in the corners of the picture.

Compared to the jpeg file, which shows almost no CA and keeps the red lights natural, it still is not that good (TMHO).

Feedback is welcome.

I downloaded the NEF, but the 300s is not supported in ACR 5.4 and I have not installed the 5.5RC, so I can't view it in ACR. I presume that the 300s is like the D3 and automatically corrects chromatic aberration. In ACR you must do this manually. Perhaps others can comment. Does the lens that you are using have that much CA?

|
    Mark as:
    Sep 10, 2009 8:31 AM   in reply to Frans_Drent

I downloaded the nef, ran it thru ACR 5.5 - used the Adobe standard profile for your camera, blacks at 0 and strong contrast (my defaults).  I don't see anything wrong with the image; there was slight CA easily corrected in ACR.  I attached a reduced size jpeg; at 100% the image looks clean and sharp.  So again, what is your concern?

Richard Southworth

added by edit - forgot to include, I had to set recovery at 30 to bring sky out of clipping.  There is a lot more detail in the sky that could be brought out with more image pp.

Attachments:

|
    Mark as:
    Sep 13, 2009 10:51 AM   in reply to Frans_Drent

I have  Nikon d300s with nef/raw conversion problems with CS4. When I try to run the 5.5 raw converter installer it tells me to retry because Bridge is opened...it isn't??! Any ideas? Thanks.

|
    Mark as:
    Sep 13, 2009 5:10 PM   in reply to Frans_Drent

Camera raw plug-in, not the DNG converter. Yes, every program is shut down

|
    Mark as:
    Sep 13, 2009 8:11 PM   in reply to Frans_Drent

Thanks for the help. I got it..Not quite sure what I did right ...but it all

works now.

|
    Mark as:

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)

Answers + Points = Status

• 10 points awarded for Correct Answers
  • 5 points awarded for Helpful Answers
  • 10,000+ points
  • 1,001-10,000 points
  • 501-1,000 points