Skip navigation
cbminfo
Currently Being Moderated

Find ALL CAPS, convert to lower case

Sep 13, 2009 9:22 AM

I'm trying to use the find replace option to find words, not I or I'm, but whole words that I've capitalized, and want to make them lower case.

I've tried building a format with ALL CAPS, and the closest thing I can find for the replace option is normal.

But when I do this, I get the blue info icon at the top of the search form that says form already exists. This says to me it's such a common request that they have something already designed to search for ALL cap words, and convert to lower case.

Digging thru the predefined searches, I can't find anything that even sounds like what I want to do.

I've searched thru grep and text.

Any clues on how to do this and not screw up the 'I'm, I've' words where the 1st character is capitalized and the rest aren't.

Replies
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Sep 13, 2009 10:37 AM   in reply to cbminfo

My instinct is this needs to be scripted. It's easy enough to use GREP to find these words, but changing the case to "normal" has no effect, as far as I can tell. You need to change to Sentence Case, and that isn't an option in Find/Change. You also run some risk of changing things you don't want changed, like state abbreviations and other acronyms.

In fact, Harbs has already written a short script that does this. You'll find it in the comments on theis page: http://indesignsecrets.com/using-grep-to-make-a-character-lowercase.ph p

You'll also find some more discussion at http://forums.adobe.com/thread/329167

|
    Mark as:
    Sep 13, 2009 1:29 PM   in reply to cbminfo

Did you read the link Peter provided?

The script I wrote there should do what you want.

If you want a GREP which will not get states for sure, you can use 

\u{3,}

But of course it will miss ANY two letter all-cap word...

Harbs

|
    Mark as:
    Sep 13, 2009 2:08 PM   in reply to cbminfo

As was pointed out, the only way to access the change case commands (which is waht you want to do) is through a script interface. You simply can't do it with a Find/Change. You CAN set the search parameters, though, and then run the script that Harbs so generously posted. I'm sure if you post on the scripting forum, someone would probably be willing to also help you with adding a list of states and acronyms you know you don't want to change, or perhaps adding a pause for confirmation at each hit.

This is just too complex to have an simple all or nothing solution since there are always likely to be workd you actually DO want to have as all caps (but maybe if you add a character style to those that forces all caps, you'd get away with changing everything after all).

|
    Mark as:
    Sep 13, 2009 3:15 PM   in reply to cbminfo

We've already pointed you in the direction of a solution. If you've used styles (as you should) there's a good chance you can limit the GREP search parameters using styles and or limited search (story, selection) to eliminate a lot of the false positives you might otherwise see.

If you don't wnat to try what's offered, that's another story.

|
    Mark as:
    Sep 13, 2009 5:16 PM   in reply to Peter Spier

Some people see only problems, others see solutions.

|
    Mark as:

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)

Answers + Points = Status

• 10 points awarded for Correct Answers
  • 5 points awarded for Helpful Answers
  • 10,000+ points
  • 1,001-10,000 points
  • 501-1,000 points
  • 5-500 points