Skip navigation
Currently Being Moderated

Link Bug?

Mar 26, 2008 1:33 PM

We are a commercial Printer, have been using ID CS3 for about a year. Just came across a problem with links saying they are up to date, but are really Low Res when RIPed or printed. Images also appear low res on screen. But then If you click on a file in the links window and select relink, then the image displays in high res. There is no indicator that the link was not up to date.

Has anyone had this before? Is there a solution?

Replies
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Mar 27, 2008 3:03 PM   in reply to (Sprint_Denver)
    Check to see if the image previews differently after you change the View>Overprint Preview, or maybe View>Display Performance>High Quality Display.

Mark

|
    Mark as:
    May 1, 2008 7:54 AM   in reply to (Sprint_Denver)
    An I understanding that you have high res and low res versions of the same images? If so delete the low res files. Find the high res images and put them in one folder then open your indesign document, it should ask you to find the links and now point to where the high res images are.
    Or you could try "washing" your document by savind as an inx (indesign interchange) and then opening the inx in indeign.
    Oh sry didn't see the Q2ID bit that only works if the links are updated in the quark file before converting to InDesign (which is explicitly stated in the documentation)

|
    Mark as:
    Sep 14, 2009 1:49 PM   in reply to Lukas Engqvist

We just came across the exact same problem. We sent files to our printer, which we preflighted and showed no issue with any of the images (preflighted in flightcheck as well as indesign) and the file got printed with lo res images. Links showed properly, there were no lo res images included, the paths were leading to the high res yet they printed lo res. When I investigated the file I went to link info and it indicated the the image was 82 k when it was actually 5 megs. Why/how would this occur. Also the only way to get the link to display high res was to relink to file, although they were already linked to correct folder. When the printer ripped the file, the images again were not flagged as missing or lo res and yet that is how it printed. This was a costly error as the piece was a brochure. Fix this problem, or at least explain it PLEASE!! Using CS3 v504, Mac OS 10.5.8. This is very scarey indeed.

|
    Mark as:
    Nov 13, 2009 5:24 AM   in reply to (Sprint_Denver)

Just wandering through, and quite late, but in many ways this sounds like a problem with OPI comments. My recollection is that Quark inserts OPI comments by default and though I've never seen this particular problem, I have seen issues with PDF generated frm Quark files where OPI was active that whne palced into a new ID doc looked fine on screen but printed with missing images.

Peter

|
    Mark as:

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)