Skip navigation
This discussion is archived

New Forum FAQ

Apr 6, 2009 8:15 PM

Latest reply: Jochem van Dieten, Jul 17, 2010 6:41 AM
Replies 1 2 3 4 5 Previous Next
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Aug 17, 2009 7:16 AM   in reply to adobe-admin

Flash should NEVER be allowed in the forums as it is banned in some companies - that makes the forums useless for some of us.

Regards

[url edited by host]

|
    Mark as:
    Aug 24, 2009 4:17 PM   in reply to adobe-admin

With reference to your request for performance data at http://forums.adobe.com/thread/481223 , what is it you need for IE that Fiddler can't produce?

Noel

|
    Mark as:
  • Jochem van Dieten
    2,391 posts
    Apr 8, 2001
    Currently Being Moderated
    Aug 25, 2009 1:08 AM   in reply to !Firedog

!Firedog wrote on 8/25/2009 1:17 AM:

With reference to your request for performance data at http://forums.adobe.com/thread/481223 , what is it you need for IE that http://www.fiddler2.com/Fiddler2/version.asp can't produce?

Most likely it has most of what we need (not everything we want though,

since it is a proxy it won't record DNS requests or DOM events). I just

haven't tested import / export features or an actual analysis of a real

trace yet.

Jochem

--

Jochem van Dieten

http://jochem.vandieten.net/

|
    Mark as:
    Aug 25, 2009 3:40 PM   in reply to Jochem van Dieten

Fiddler's author replies as follows:

Fiddler records DNS timings; they're in the default export file.  You can see them on the "Statistics" tab when you select a single session;

it will say something like "DNS Lookup: 16ms."  Fiddler can't record DOM Events, but as far as I know, neither can Firebug.

I'll run a test (within a day or two) and post some files.

Noel

|
    Mark as:
    Sep 17, 2009 10:00 AM   in reply to adobe-admin

I don't understand the points system and the FAQ does not have any information about it except for the fact that you get points for answering a question and not posting.

|
    Mark as:
    Sep 17, 2009 10:09 AM   in reply to Joe S.

Points are not given for  simply posting a question or a reply. Points are awarded by the person who  started a discussion. They can mark a reply to their question as either The  Answer or as Helpful. They can mark one “Correct” answer and two “Helpful”  answers per discussion thread.

This was from the FAQ about the points system. This refers to when you make a post if "Mark this thread as a Question" is checked then you can award someone points, if unchecked no points can be awarded:

Picture 1.png

I believe (and I could be wrong) there are 5 points for each helpful answer (you can mark 2 posters as helpful) and 10 for a correct answer. And the original poster is the only one who can award such points.

As you can see on another post here that there are red "blobs" that are associated with the points somehow, but it is obviously still causing some confusion as to how these are associated.

|
    Mark as:
    Sep 17, 2009 10:09 AM   in reply to Joe S.

Hi Joe

In a perfect world we might find that points would assist in identifying candidates for inclusion in the Community Experts program. Basically they are simply a form of recognition that is granted by each person asking a question. Again, if things worked perfectly, it would democratize the forums a bit by allowing the person that asked the question to award the points for helpful and correct replies.

As we all know, the world is far from perfect. Even if things were perfect with the forum software you still have the human aspect to consider. Sometimes folks will obtain an answer and reply back that they are pleased it helped them out. Then mark the "thank you" post as the "winning" answer and it gets the points.

The bottom line is that points are pretty meaningless. I like to think of them as we see with the "Whose line is it anyway?" show where Drew Carey always makes a witty and funny comment about the points here being about as meaningful as (insert funny explanation here).

Cheers... Rick

|
    Mark as:
    Sep 27, 2009 2:13 PM   in reply to Captiv8r

Bumping up threads was a usual practice in the old forums since I don't remember when. However, anyone bumping up a thread used to do it openly under his/her screen name, explaining why, and willing to face all the consequences. I have recently had a thread locked, and received a rebuke, unjust in my opinion, for trying to refloat an archived thread, and I could take it. That's why it disconcerts me to see threads suddenly springing up, out of nowhere, and for no apparent reason, such as this one.

An impartial law is easy to bear -free translation of the old Spanish saying "ley pareja no es dura".

|
    Mark as:
  • Jochem van Dieten
    2,391 posts
    Apr 8, 2001
    Sep 27, 2009 2:28 PM   in reply to Claudio González

Is there a question here? Or anything related to the Forum FAQ?

|
    Mark as:
    Sep 27, 2009 2:53 PM   in reply to Jochem van Dieten

jochemd wrote:

Is there a question here? Or anything related to the Forum FAQ?

Yes, there is an implicit question: who bumped this thread up and why? If you are not willing to see it in my previous message, or to understand it now that I have written it in full, you have of course the force to delete both of my messages.

To throw a stone and then hide one's hand is considered a very reproachable conduct around here, but I know there are cultural differences between different countries. And also between different people. But I think that if I am rebuked for openly bumping up a thread without adding anything new, others should be also be rebuked for doing the same, even more so if they do it in a hidden way. Or don't you think so?

|
    Mark as:
    Sep 27, 2009 3:56 PM   in reply to Claudio González

and I had previously asked why the FAQ thread was bumped up.  I asked what changes were made to move it up to the top?  Was it just a bump so it wouldn't fall off the "table" or was there new content quietly added to it?

I don't recall getting an answer to those questions.

|
    Mark as:
    Sep 27, 2009 4:04 PM   in reply to greenjumpyone

greenjumpyone wrote:

and I had previously asked why the FAQ thread was bumped up.  I asked what changes were made to move it up to the top?  Was it just a bump so it wouldn't fall off the "table" or was there new content quietly added to it?

I don't recall getting an answer to those questions.

Hopper, is there a question there? Or anything related with the FAQs? Or anything new? Or are you just trying to bump this thread up?

|
    Mark as:
    Sep 27, 2009 4:27 PM   in reply to Claudio González

LOL! 

actually, there were two questions there!

hopper

|
    Mark as:
    Sep 27, 2009 5:02 PM   in reply to greenjumpyone

greenjumpyone wrote:

LOL! 

actually, there were two questions there!

hopper

Hopper, I beg to disagree. It is technically true that there were two questions there, but they were just two questions that you were quoting from a previous message of yours, which isn't the same thing than asking them again. And "I don't recall getting an answer to those questions" is a statement, not a question.

|
    Mark as:
    Sep 27, 2009 5:51 PM   in reply to Claudio González

|
    Mark as:
  • Jochem van Dieten
    2,391 posts
    Apr 8, 2001
    Sep 27, 2009 10:54 PM   in reply to Claudio González

Claudio González wrote on 9/27/2009 10:53 PM:

Yes, there is an implicit question: who bumped this thread up

Some spammer or so.

But I think that if I am rebuked for openly bumping up a thread without adding anything new, others should be also be rebuked for doing the same, even more so if they do it in a hidden way. Or don't you think so?

He got his message deleted before you even posted. So no, I don't see

the need for your request for an action when an even stronger action has

already been taken. And I especially do not see the need to discuss

moderation in a thread about another subject that has nothing to do with

moderation.

So could everybody who is posting about things other then the Forum FAQ

stop using this thread for that.

|
    Mark as:
    Nov 21, 2009 12:13 PM   in reply to adobe-admin

I am having trouble attaching PDF or JPG or PNG attachments and having them be downloadable.  I am also having trouble with

uploading an image because I get an error saying that "content of the file is not allowed" or something to that effect.  Can someone give me a tutorial on attachments?  I see my attachment and an attachment someone sent to me but it says "queued" and I cannot click on it to download it.

Sincerely,

markerline

|
    Mark as:
    Nov 21, 2009 1:33 PM   in reply to markerline

mmmmmmm..... it is broken today for some odd reason for everybody. There are a few posts by a MOD concerning this and mention is another thread too. Oh well maybe Adobe will get it fixed this weekend.

Hang in there.

|
    Mark as:
    Nov 21, 2009 1:45 PM   in reply to dec9

|
    Mark as:
    Jan 15, 2010 5:18 AM   in reply to adobe-admin

How can you delete a entire thread ? Can you email Admin to do it?

|
    Mark as:
    Jan 15, 2010 7:48 AM   in reply to MrHelpful

Why do you want to delete it?

|
    Mark as:
  • Jochem van Dieten
    2,391 posts
    Apr 8, 2001
    Jan 15, 2010 9:31 AM   in reply to MrHelpful

Click the "Report abuse" link and in the abuse report explain why the thread merits deletion.

|
    Mark as:
    Jan 15, 2010 1:40 PM   in reply to ~graffiti

Been asked by my boss to. Thinks I've put too much info in. Best to do what she wants or I'll be in the firing line! Shame you can't do it yourself or at least change the text in the original question. The reply I got was great but I have to do what I'm told.

Tried the Report Abuse method but after you've typed all the info and clicked it just says "Unexpected error"...most annoying....anyone seen this?

|
    Mark as:
    Jan 15, 2010 3:21 PM   in reply to MrHelpful

Have you looked at that thread lately. A moderator may have removed info from it already since I don't see ANY personal information in it whatsoever. I assumed that would be a reason why you wanted it deleted to begin with but then I looked at the thread and didn't see anything.

|
    Mark as:
    Feb 9, 2010 8:44 AM   in reply to adobe-admin

Thanks for your hardwork for this FAQ

I'm clear with some questons now

|
    Mark as:
    Mar 21, 2010 3:01 PM   in reply to adobe-admin

Congratulations to harbs and the InDesign scripting forum to be the first to integrate search scripting forum onto the page without the use of scripts see http://forums.adobe.com/community/indesign/indesign_scripting

|
    Mark as:
    May 16, 2010 9:49 PM   in reply to adobe-admin

I have tried everything to stop receiving emails from the forums.  They are clogging my email.  I have checked the 2 NO buttons under preferences.  I have clicked on the stop receiving notifications on particular threads.  Yet I STILL continue to receive the email notifications.  Please help.

|
    Mark as:
  • Jochem van Dieten
    2,391 posts
    Apr 8, 2001
    May 17, 2010 12:57 AM   in reply to JBelmo99

JBelmo99 wrote on 5/17/2010 6:49 AM:

I have tried everything to stop receiving emails from the forums.

To check to which forums / threads / people you are subscribed, PM me

the response from the following 3 URLs:

http://forums.adobe.com/rpc/rest/watchService/watches/637214/1

http://forums.adobe.com/rpc/rest/watchService/watches/637214/3

http://forums.adobe.com/rpc/rest/watchService/watches/637214/14

These URLs are customized for you, anybody else will get a security

error. If you get a security error, log on to the forums first.

|
    Mark as:
    May 17, 2010 11:31 AM   in reply to JBelmo99

This is probably not the thread to post of this issue, but perhaps this ARTICLE will give you tips on where to look, and what to set, and clear the issue up for you.

Good luck,

Hunt

|
    Mark as:
    May 17, 2010 12:11 PM   in reply to JBelmo99

You account is not subscribed to any users or threads, but it was subscribed to a complete forum. I have deleted that subscription.

|
    Mark as:
    May 28, 2010 11:49 PM   in reply to John Cornicello

How do I delete or unscribe from the forum and my account?

|
    Mark as:
  • Jochem van Dieten
    2,391 posts
    Apr 8, 2001
    May 29, 2010 3:26 AM   in reply to WLF88ysu

You can stop receiving email by following the instructions in the FAQ. There is no procedure to unsubscribe from the forum itself.

|
    Mark as:
    May 29, 2010 9:38 AM   in reply to WLF88ysu

In case the linked FAQ entry does not do it for you, this ARTICLE might prove helpful.

Good luck,

Hunt

|
    Mark as:
    May 30, 2010 3:27 PM   in reply to adobe-admin

How would a beginner to Dreamweaver get help from the Forum? Are there written sources that would guide the beginner through the basics of dreamweaver with examples in a practical way?

Thank you,

H. Baghban

|
    Mark as:
    May 30, 2010 4:45 PM   in reply to Jochem van Dieten

Uh Jockem,

what does the item over on the far right say in this illustration.

http://screencast.com/t/YzViMTcxZm

|
    Mark as:
    May 30, 2010 4:48 PM   in reply to nowarnow

Go to top of this page click Adobe forums

this shows a listing of forums. one of the highlighted forums is DreamWeaver listed on the button as Dw.

Good Luck to you!

|
    Mark as:
    May 30, 2010 5:37 PM   in reply to nowarnow

How would a beginner to Dreamweaver get help from the Forum? Are there written sources that would guide the beginner through the basics of dreamweaver with examples in a practical way?

A beginner to DW would normally start at the following link first:

<http://www.adobe.com/devnet/dreamweaver/articles/first_website_pt1.htm l>

hth

|
    Mark as:
    May 30, 2010 10:20 PM   in reply to Phillip Jones

Uh PJ,

That does not unsubscribe from the forums. It simply cancels email notification for the particular level you previously chose.

Your sarcasm is not appreciated by me, and there's no reason to change anyone's name!

Harbs

|
    Mark as:
    May 31, 2010 8:26 AM   in reply to Harbs.

As far as I know that was what everyone was talking about, was stopping notifications. I've looked and there is no Unsubscribe as such I've looked at all level from adobe forums on down  I you go to main page a go in from there your not really subscribing. You have the option of starting or stopping e-mail notifications. If that's what you want. By stopping notifications at all three levels are set to unsubscribe from e-mail notifications and you no longer get any topics you are in effect unsubscribed.

|
    Mark as:
    Jun 8, 2010 6:26 PM   in reply to adobe-admin

I uninstalled Flash Player 10 from programs thinking I can download it from Adobe but can't. I get that the site is not available or not in service. I'm using Internet Explorer, windows 8, Vista. How can I get this thing downloaded? I also get a pop up when installing that it's not except this from macromedia. I no it's affected is that way it doesn't work?

|
    Mark as:
Actions

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)