Expand my Community achievements bar.

Submit by Email AS a PDF (urgent - time crunch)

Level 1

I'm creating a form to be distributed externally to clients via email.  I'd like them to be able to fill in the form, then click Submit by Email and have a completed PDF sent back to me (which we save in clients files for our records in an attempt at paperlessness).  I've got the Submit by Email button in my form now, but apparently the default submission format is XML not PDF.  Is there a way to change this?

Thanks - Sat

8 Replies

Level 10

No way ( I mean no direct way).

You can do this with the following steps.

1. Submit your form data as XML to a email INBOX.

2. write a process which recieves this data.

3. Read the form template from repository.

4. Merge the data(xml data) with the template form

5. Submit to the desired person using sendEmailwithAttachment component.

If you are not clear or need any assistance, do call me on +973 38350892

Nith

Former Community Member

Sorry $Nith$ but there are multipleways to code it in a form. Note that you will have to Reader Extend the form to be able to send PDF instead of XML. Here is a sample that shows multiple ways to do it.

Paul

Level 10

Paul,

Appreciating your explanations.

I never knew that we could submit our form in these many ways.

Your examples are informative and very useful to me.

I have another question: Can we close the pdf after submitting the form to an email address??

I mean, a user fills-in a User Acceptance Form and clicking on submit button. This should trigger an email (internally) and the form should close.

Is it possible?

Thanks,

Nith

Former Community Member

Depends on the hosting environment. If you are inside of acrobat/reader then you can close the current doc using event.target.closeDoc() and you are left in Acrobat/Reader with no form open. If you are in a Browser, then I cannot close the current doc as there is no interface to another. You cannot close the hosting environment.

Make sense?

Paul

Level 10

Thats amazing! This is what I want.

My form always be opened using Adobe Reader.

Many Thanks Paul,

Nith

Level 10

Paul,

I tried your exmples shown.

One thing i noticed is:

when is select the submit type as 'xml data' it works by opening the email client

but when i select the type as 'PDF' it neither opens any email client nor it sends the email to the secified email address.

What could be the problem?

Thanks,

Nith

Former Community Member

Did you Reader Extend the form .....it must be saved locally to be able to email it ...Reader does not do local save by default. Reader Extending it will allow for local save.

Paul

Level 1

I too had this issue, which is not documented correctly. I sent a support request, and received a response. Drag a button to your the doc, in the Object Field Tab choose Control Type Submit. In Object Submit Tab type mailto:xxxxxxxx@domain.com for the address you want it sent to. Use the drop down Submit As to select PDF. Save the file and open it with acrobat, in the drop down Advanced menu select Extend Features in Adobe Reader. That's it it works.