Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Multiple clicks on a slide without continuing

New Here ,
Aug 21, 2009 Aug 21, 2009

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello,

I'm creating a tutorial in which learners can click multiple buttons on a single slide to bring up text captions and images. Some of these buttons have multiple actions.

The problem is that once the first button has been clicked and the caption pops up, the presentation continues on to the next slide. I need to have the learners click all the buttons on the page before they advance to the next slide by clicking the Next button.

How can I have learnes click multiple buttons without advancing?

Thanks,

Thor

TOPICS
Advanced

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Valorous Hero ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Thor

I'm not sure if this will be possible if you are using Advanced Actions to accomplish this. If the button has a single action, such as opening a PDF, you edit the properties. Look to the immediate right of where you type the PDF file name. There is a button with a down arrow. Click that button and you choose New to open the PDF in a new window. Click again and you are able to DE-select the "Continue playing project" option.

Cheers... Rick

Helpful and Handy Links

Captivate Wish Form/Bug Reporting Form

Adobe Certified Captivate Training

SorcerStone Blog

Captivate eBooks

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Rick and thanks for your quick response,

Well, my problem is that I have multiple actions attached to the buttons (hide and delete objects) so I don't have access to the "Continue playing project". Multiple clicks on a single page are common in e-learning, so I was surprised to discover that Captivate does not provide an easy way of doing it.

Any other suggestions?

Thanks,

Thor

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Valorous Hero ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi again

I do see the dilemma. Here's the skinny. If you are looking at the variables and whatnot, you will find one that would lead you to believe you could pause the slide. But it doesn't work. If you feel as I and others do, you should submit a bug report on it.

I have a demo up that shows how to make the button work and pause. Basically, in a nutshell, you need to determine the frame number and create an action to jump to the frame number. This is so the Button pause can be encountered again and keep the slide paused.

Click here to view

Cheers... Rick

Helpful and Handy Links

SorcerStone Blog

Captivate eBooks

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Sep 23, 2009 Sep 23, 2009

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

this also keeps the slide paused after button clicks...

rdcmndGotoFrame := rdinfoCurrentFrame

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Valorous Hero ,
Sep 25, 2009 Sep 25, 2009

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi there

I'll have to try that. Looks pretty slick!

Thanks! Rick

Helpful and Handy Links

SorcerStone Blog

Captivate eBooks

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Engaged ,
Nov 16, 2009 Nov 16, 2009

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Cool... thanks for this.

This is a simplier variation of what Rick showed me. I can confirm that this works.

In my example, I have four buttons on a slide which control the appearance of four different text captions (pop-ups).

See the attached screen capture set.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Engaged ,
Nov 16, 2009 Nov 16, 2009

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I should point out that there is some kind of weird problem with this forum and photo attachments. It seems you can only view a reduced size version of the attachment in FireFox. If this happens, download the attachment first before viewing.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Dec 16, 2009 Dec 16, 2009

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Can this be accomplished in Capt 3? I have the same issue...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi there

The actions mentioned are only available in Captivate 4. Sorry.

For Captivate 3, you have to make the Button or Click Box action to be to Go to the previous slide. Then time that slide super short at .1 seconds or so.

Cheers... Rick

Helpful and Handy Links

SorcerStone Blog

Captivate eBooks

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Boo! Not the answer I was looking for 😃 ...but thanx!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Dec 17, 2009 Dec 17, 2009

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LOL, there's always the possibility of upgrading!

Cheers... Rick

Helpful and Handy Links

SorcerStone Blog

Captivate eBooks

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Mar 04, 2010 Mar 04, 2010

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Okay, I think followed as indicated in your screen shot as I am trying to work with four buttons on one slide.  Three of the buttons show various images that are part of a sequence.  Thefinal, forth, button is to advance the next slide.  Everything appearsto work up until I go to click the second button in the sequence, afterthat all images and buttons disappear on the screen.  The good news (you gotta have good news) is that the slide does in fact pause Unsure if I am missing something when I am constructing my advanced action, it's an issue with the playhead sequencing or a combination of both.  If you have any suggestions I would greatly appreciate it!

Carrie

Button.jpg

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Mar 31, 2010 Mar 31, 2010

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Dogtivate you are the hero for your elegant solution. Works great and very simple.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Sep 30, 2009 Sep 30, 2009

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

In the button-properties select:

On success --> Execute JavaScript and DESELECT Continue playing project.

Then you can modify your "on success" action.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Apr 01, 2010 Apr 01, 2010

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Try this, it worked for me.

In multiple actions, use "Go to last visited slide" FIRST, then put whatever other actions you need to use under it.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Mar 07, 2011 Mar 07, 2011

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Can a solution be made that works with rollover slidelets?

I've got four on one slide.

I cant seem to require that all slidelets are visited before moving to the next slide.

Got any ideas?

Thanks,

Greg

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Mar 07, 2011 Mar 07, 2011

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Please, which version? And this is a question that is not really the same as the original one (in an old thread as well). I really think it would be better to start a new topic.

Lilybiri

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Mar 08, 2011 Mar 08, 2011

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Actually, once I actually figured out how to enter the java script in, I found that Dogtivates code worked perfectly, in CP5.

I'll be using it as needed from now on!

Thank you!

Greg

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Jul 05, 2013 Jul 05, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Thor

I created a similar Captivate slide that accomplishes what you wish to do with multiple buttons. You can download the file here: https://www.dropbox.com/s/ksnza2q1ss1m3df/PRESS%20THE%20BUTTONS.cptx.

• This slide has 6 buttons that need to be clicked in no particular order.
  • All 6 buttons need to be clicked in order to proceed.
  • If the user clicks anywhere but a button, arrows will appear indicating which buttons need to be clicked.
  • If the user clicks a button that has already been clicked arrows will again appear indicating which buttons need to be clicked.

Study the button scripts, especially the "All Clicked" condition scripts.

Also study the large clipbox script and the on enter script.

Hope this helps

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Resources
Help resources