Skip navigation
MARC BARRIERE
Currently Being Moderated

APE 8: a purple screen over the preview

Sep 28, 2009 12:30 PM

I had try Adobe Premiere Elements  7 for a couple of weeks. I bought the last version (v 8) this weekend. When I do editing, there is a purple screen over the preview. This purple screen was not on APE 7 (There was a stripe with the message this video was done with a trying version).

Dell Inspirion 1765

3Mo RAM

500 GO HD

with Avi fles from a Nikon D5000

Replies
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Sep 28, 2009 1:55 PM   in reply to MARC BARRIERE

Are you using the downloaded version of 8? Have you registered and activated the product?

It sounds like the program thinks you're still using the 30 day trial.

|
    Mark as:
    Sep 28, 2009 3:50 PM   in reply to MARC BARRIERE

Are you by chance using .MOD files? There have been a lot of instances of PrPro (PrE's big brother) doing similar. Many refer to the preview in the Program Monitor as psychedelic. Almost all of those users were attempting to work with .MOD files.

Can you post a screen-cap, showing your Program Monitor?

Good luck,

Hunt

|
    Mark as:
    Sep 28, 2009 5:39 PM   in reply to MARC BARRIERE

Marc Barriere

I just want to make sure that we are all focus in on the same area of the program and are talking about the same things.

Where are you seeing this purple screen:

a. after you bring your video to the Timeline and view your Timeline in the Edit Mode Monitor and see a purple screen

or

b. after you bring your video to the Timeline, double click that video to bring up the Preview Window where you see the purple screen.

In the Edit Mode Monitor, you should see your image clearly, but there is a horizontal band that runs across the middle of the Monitor that "says created with Adobe Premiere Elements 8 trial version". However, in the Preview Window there is no such band, just your clear image. So, first we need to know Monitor or Preview Window Purple?

Next, what happens if you take one of you photos from the Nikon D5000, import it to the Timeline. Do you see this purple screen in the Monitor? And, if you double click the photo on the Timeline to bring up the Preview Window, do you see this purple screen?

Now to get to what I believe it the center of this issue, namely the video format. Your camera is recording MotionJPEG in AVI format. From what I have read you may be recording at 24 frames per second. I will need for you to confirm whether you are recording at 24 or 30 frames per second. The camera video format can be HD 1280 x 720 and in addition can be 320 x 216 and 640 x 424. I will need for you to tell us which setting you used for video brought into Premiere Elements and how you got it there.

Sometimes codecs such as LEAD or the Morgan Codec are evoked for MotionJPEG issues. Once I know what we are dealing with, we can discuss installing such a codec versus file conversion versus something entirely different depending on your details.

ATR

|
    Mark as:
    Sep 28, 2009 5:44 PM   in reply to MARC BARRIERE

Marc Barriere

Just an add on....I just noticed that you did say that your Premiere Elements 8 is purchased. So, in that case, you should not be seeing a band "Created with Adobe Premiere Elements 8 trial version" in the Edit Mode Monitorl.

ATR

|
    Mark as:
    Sep 28, 2009 5:56 PM   in reply to Steve Grisetti

I bought the version 8 this week end.

Here is the creen capture

Attachments:

|
    Mark as:
    Sep 28, 2009 6:01 PM   in reply to A.T. Romano

If I clic in the monitor, the image stop and it clarify. see below the images

Yes it is a Nikon with a 24 frames/sec. But it was working well with the version 7 (trial one).

Attachments:

|
    Mark as:
    Sep 28, 2009 6:06 PM   in reply to marcbarriere
    Here is the screen capture

Yep, that's the look.

Still do not see if these are .MOD files, or something completely different. If you are not sure, then G-Spot will tell you all you need to know about your files.

Good luck,

Hunt

|
    Mark as:
    Sep 28, 2009 6:09 PM   in reply to marcbarriere
    Yes it is a Nikon with a 24 frames/sec

Most of the Nikons, that shoot video use MJPEG CODEC. There are two really good MJPEG CODEC's: Morgan and MainConcept.

Good luck,

Hunt

|
    Mark as:
    Sep 28, 2009 6:12 PM   in reply to Bill Hunt

I really dont understand what to do...

The version 7 was OK. The version 8 not.

With the same camera and the same computer????

the_wine_snob a écrit :

>> Yes it is a Nikon with a 24 frames/sec

>>    

Most of the Nikons, that shoot video use MJPEG CODEC. There are two really good MJPEG CODEC's: http://www.morgan-multimedia.com/ and http://www.mainconcept.com/site/prosumer-products-4/motion-jpeg-codec- 785/information-797.html.

Good luck,

Hunt

>

|
    Mark as:
    Sep 28, 2009 6:12 PM   in reply to MARC BARRIERE
    (There was a stripe with the message this video was done with a trying version).

This FAQ article will address the banner by the trial version.

Good luck,

Hunt

|
    Mark as:
    Sep 28, 2009 6:19 PM   in reply to Bill Hunt

the stipe had gone when I bought the product, but the purple screen is

there...

the_wine_snob a écrit :

>> (There was a stripe with the message this video was done with a trying version).

>>    

This /thread/433730?tstart=0 article will address the banner by the trial version.

Good luck,

Hunt

>

|
    Mark as:
    Sep 28, 2009 6:28 PM   in reply to marcbarriere

Did you remove PrE 7? What MJPEG CODEC do you now have installed?

With the full-paid version of PrE, you will NOT get that banner. Now, if you do have any Projects from the trial, you will benefit from that FAQ entry.

Good luck,

Hunt

BTW - what did G-Spot say? It not only affords one a look inside the AV files, but also will tell you which versions of which CODEC's you have installed.

|
    Mark as:
    Sep 28, 2009 6:58 PM   in reply to Bill Hunt

Hunt

It is not clear to me why you are pressing the point about mod files which are definitely not part of this equation for Nikon D5000 video scheme of things....Nikon D5000 is video MotionJPEG in AVI format recorded at 24 frames per second. Did you see the details that I posted earlier in this thread?

The MotionJPEG AVI is from what is known about that specific video for that specific camera, the 24 frames per second has been confirmed by the user, still not sure about frame size (but am almost sure it is 1280 x 720 HD and not one of lessor resolution offerings of that camera).

I hope that I do not seem controversal, but I just need to focus on where we are at.

If this same video worked in Premiere Elements 7, are you saying that he must have had the necessary codecs installed on his computer, and they still should be there? Have we looked for a LEAD or Morgan Codec already installed (Control Panel/Sounds and Audio Devices/Hardware/Video Codecs)?

Now that we know where the purple screen is (that is in the entire Edit Mode Monitor) and what it looks like, it looks like time for a LEAD or Morgan Codec or file conversion.

ATR

|
    Mark as:
    Sep 28, 2009 7:09 PM   in reply to Bill Hunt

Hunt

Add On

In the course of my troubleshooting, I surprised myself in that I found that I had the LEAD codec already installed in my computer (from that Control Panel route). I downloaded a MotionJPEG AVI, imported it into Premiere Elements 8 Get Media/Files & Folders, dragged it to the Timeline, and saw a perfect image in the Edit Mode Monitor....no purple screen.

That is not definite proof of what is going on in the user's situation, but it is heading in the right direction.

ATR

|
    Mark as:
    Sep 28, 2009 7:41 PM   in reply to A.T. Romano

I had try the hd resolution 1024 and the standard médium size 720 px. 

The problème is with both resolution. Thé output is ok.

|
    Mark as:
    Sep 28, 2009 8:05 PM   in reply to marcbarriere

Thank you for the additional information. From what I have read, both the HD and SD video from that camera use the MotionJPEG with AVI format.

But could you explain what you mean by "the output is OK".

Are you saying that, even if the Edit Mode Monitor has a purple screen, the end product export (Share/Personal Computer/ or Share/Disc/Disc) will be perfect (no purple)?

ATR

|
    Mark as:
    Sep 28, 2009 8:52 PM   in reply to A.T. Romano
    It is not clear to me why you are pressing the point about mod files which are definitely not part of this equation for Nikon D5000 video scheme of things....

That "pressing" was prior to my seeing the OP's statment of the details of exactly which files were involved.

For most of the issues with the "purple screens" in PrPro, the files were all .MOD, hence my request for more info.

That was also why I did an article in the Tips & Tricks sub-forum on how to properly as a question - the details are so very important. Had this necessary info been forthcoming, there would have been no mention of .MOD files, except to possibly point out that they yielded similar display.

That's all,

Hunt

Message was edited by: the_wine_snob - Edited for mistakes

|
    Mark as:
    Sep 29, 2009 3:45 AM   in reply to A.T. Romano

Exact

The output for my website or YouTube is ok

|
    Mark as:
    Sep 29, 2009 5:25 AM   in reply to marcbarriere

Marc Barriere

What happens in your Premiere Elements 8 if you Render the Timeline by pressing the Enter Key of the computer main keyboard? After this type of Rendering is completed, is the purple screen in the Edit Mode Monitor gone? (Before this type of Render is there a red line running across the top of the Timeline that turns green after the Rendering process is completed?

ATR

|
    Mark as:
    Sep 29, 2009 6:01 AM   in reply to marcbarriere

Marc Barriere

Add on............

Besides seeing what happens with the purple Edit Mode Monitor and Rendering the Timeline of Premiere Elements 8, I would like you to:

Go to Edit Menu/Preferences/General and uncheck "Enable GPU Playback" and see what happens to the purple screen in the Edit Mode Monitor.

I have not yet determined the significance of a change that I observed in the Playback Settings of Premiere Elements 7 versus Premiere Elements 8. If you right click the Edit Mode Monitor and click on Playback Settings:

In Premiere Elements 7, there is a section in the dialog "Desktop Display Mode" which gives you the choice of "Compatible", "Standard", or "Accelerated GPU". Mine has always been set to "Standard". There is no GPU setting in Edit Menu/Preferences/General.

In Premiere Elements 8, there is no "Desktop Display Mode". That is now just a blank area. But, in Edit Menu/Preferences/General, you now see a place to check or uncheck "Enable GPU Playback".

So it would be interesting to learn if any of this is involved in your situation and comparisons of the programs.

Also, I am still very interested to learn if your computer says that it has the LEAD or Morgan codec installed.

Control Panel/Sounds and Audio Devices/Hardware/Video Codecs.

I will be watching for your progress.

ATR

|
    Mark as:
    Sep 29, 2009 8:11 AM   in reply to MARC BARRIERE

Marc,

That example looked clean.

While editing it, did your Program Monitor (the editing preview) show the "purple overlay?"

Also, sorry about my not noting that you were using the Nikon to shoot your footage. In all of the problem posts on the PrPro forum, with exactly the same Program Monitor behavior, all users had used a JVC, which produced .MOD files. However, all of those had images like yours.

Good luck, and I hope that ATR can help you get your previews looking good,

Hunt

|
    Mark as:
    Sep 29, 2009 2:26 PM   in reply to A.T. Romano

I have try it:

In Premiere Elements 8, there is no "Desktop Display Mode". That is now just a blank area. But, in Edit Menu/Preferences/General, you now see a place to check or uncheck "Enable GPU Playback".

It works!

I had uncheck "Enable GPU Playback".

|
    Mark as:
    Sep 29, 2009 2:35 PM   in reply to marcbarriere

That sounds like good news! Thanks for reporting.

Glad that ATR could help you get it sorted.

Hunt

|
    Mark as:
    Sep 29, 2009 6:26 PM   in reply to A.T. Romano

Thank you everybody. It seems that it was a group effort!

But, what GPU playback?

Where are the best tutorials?

A.T. Romano a écrit :

Marc Barriere

Add on............

Besides seeing what happens with the purple Edit Mode Monitor and Rendering the Timeline of Premiere Elements 8, I would like you to:

Go to Edit Menu/Preferences/General and uncheck "Enable GPU Playback" and see what happens to the purple screen in the Edit Mode Monitor.

I have not yet determined the significance of a change that I observed in the Playback Settings of Premiere Elements 7 versus Premiere Elements 8. If you right click the Edit Mode Monitor and click on Playback Settings:

In Premiere Elements 7, there is a section in the dialog "Desktop Display Mode" which gives you the choice of "Compatible", "Standard", or "Accelerated GPU". Mine has always been set to "Standard". There is no GPU setting in Edit Menu/Preferences/General.

So it would be interesting to learn if any of this is involved in your situation and comparisons of the programs.

Also, I am still very interested to learn if your computer says that it has the LEAD or Morgan codec installed.

Control Panel/Sounds and Audio Devices/Hardware/Video Codecs.

I will be watching for your progress.

ATR

>

|
    Mark as:
    Sep 29, 2009 6:26 PM   in reply to marcbarriere

Marc Barriere

I am so excited to learn of your good news.

I am sorry that you ran into this problem, but I am glad that you presented it here. It focused on Adobe changes in the user setup for those Playback Settings in Premiere Elements 8.

I am hoping that others will report their experiences with this "Enable GPU Playback" in Edit Menu/Preferences/General so as to build a database of knowledge in this regard.

Continued success. Thanks for trying out the suggestions from all. Team work wins everytime.

ATR

|
    Mark as:
    Dec 24, 2010 8:44 AM   in reply to marcbarriere

Can anyone tell me how to disable GPU in Premiere Pro CS4?

You're my only hope, Obiwan Kenobe.

|
    Mark as:

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)

Answers + Points = Status

• 10 points awarded for Correct Answers
  • 5 points awarded for Helpful Answers
  • 10,000+ points
  • 1,001-10,000 points
  • 501-1,000 points