Skip navigation

Reader 9.0 AcroRd32.exe caused Microsoft Visual C++ Runtime Library error

Jul 11, 2008 4:56 AM

Latest reply: JTFuhler, Jul 31, 2013 10:17 AM
Replies 1 2 3 4 5 Previous Next
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Apr 28, 2009 2:17 PM   in reply to (AndrewLippett)

I am still having this issue on several machines in my organization. We have updated to the lastest c++ runtime, completely uninstalled all adobe products, and cleared the registry of all Adobe entries. We then updated to the newest adobe (9.1.0.163). Any help would be much appreciated.

Note: We DO NOT have roaming profiles or redirected folders of any kind.

|
    Mark as:
    Apr 28, 2009 5:01 PM   in reply to Clemund

UPDATE: I have found a solution to my particular problem. I ran process monitor and found that adobe reader was trying to open an add-in that wasn't properly configured for adobe 9.0. I disabled/updated the addin on user's machines and was then able to launch reader.

For reference, addins are generally located in one of these folders (mine was in the reader 8.0 folder even though I only have 9.0 installed)

c:\program files\adobe\reader 8.0\reader\plug_ins

or

c:\program files\adobe\reader 9.0\reader\plug_ins

I hope this helps some of you!

|
    Mark as:
    May 7, 2009 11:59 AM   in reply to Clemund

Here is how I have fixed this problem. I do not think that this has anything to do with Folder Redirection or Roaming Profiles because I have the problem with or with out. Below fixed the problem for all situations. I think the problems exist in one of the Adobe Plugins that are automatically loaded with the application.

If you are fixing this on just one system just do this.

1. Right Click the AcroRd32.exe in the Adobe 9 install directory.

2. Go to the compatibility tab and check "Run this program in a compatibility mode for:" choose Windows XP SP2.

3. Adobe Reader 9 should work just fine now.

If you are fixing this for your enterprise you just need to create an application compatibility fix with just one fix and push this out with Adobe Reader 9.

1. Download and install the Microsoft ACT Toolkit for Windows Vista.

2. Open the Compatibility Administrator and create a new application fix for Adobe Reader. I will let you read the documentation on how this is done.

3. The only compatibility fix that you need to apply is the WinXPSP2VersionLie.

4. Install the compatibility fix and Adobe Reader 9 should work just fine now.

I cannot put into words how ridiculous that it is this problem has not been fixed by Adobe.

Post back if this helped.

|
    Mark as:
    May 8, 2009 9:08 AM   in reply to Chad73

It would be nice to hear from someone from Adobe on this issue.

Is your product really Vista compliant or not? I would say not.

|
    Mark as:
    May 11, 2009 1:33 PM   in reply to (AndrewLippett)

I ran into this problem with Reader 9.1 today. I noticed the users whose Reader crashes are missing LocalLow in their AppData folder. I create an empty LocalLow and Reader works. But the user logs off and the profile is deleted and LocalLow is missing the next time they log on. Found MS KB here: http://support.microsoft.com/kb/955555 This is supposed to fix a bug in Windows Vista/2008 causing LocalLow to be missing. However, the hotfix request link isn't working so now I have to wait for a MS rep to call back so I can request the hotfix by phone. I assume as soon as I solve the missing LocalLow problem the Adobe Reader problem will also be solved.

|
    Mark as:
    May 11, 2009 3:10 PM   in reply to Jeremy Lundy

Thanks for the information. I tested the LocalLow scenario and you are right on, problem fixed. I think for now as a workaround we will just add some logic to our login scripts to create this folder if it does not exist in users profile. I am still curious as to why this causes Reader 9 to crash.

Once again thanks for the info

|
    Mark as:
    Jun 23, 2009 8:54 AM   in reply to (AndrewLippett)

Still an issue today. Tried the regedit but nothing. Anyhow found the fix. Just goto download.com and search for the file there and it will work just fine.

|
    Mark as:
    Aug 11, 2009 11:09 AM   in reply to (AndrewLippett)

{adobe Reader 9.1 had the same problem]

---------------------------------------------------------------------- -------------------------------------------------------

"When you start  Adobe Reader 9.1, a runtime error occurs:

"Microsoft Visual C++ Debug Library
    Runtime Error!
    Program: C:\Program Files\Adobe\Acrobat 9.0\Acrobat\Acrobat.exe
    The application has requested the Runtime to terminate it in an unusual way. Please contact the application's support team for more information. "
    Reason

The affected user has a redirected Application Data folder and as a result the network path containing the Application Data uses a UNC path that begins with \\. This UNC path causes Acrobat 9.0 or Adobe Reader 9.0 to incorrectly parse the Application Data path and give the error message.
    Solution

Please update Acrobat and/or Reader to Adobe Acrobat 9.1 or Adobe Reader 9.1."

---------------------------------------------------------------------- ------------------------------------------------------------

We had this error with version 9.1.

The problem was not specifically that Application Data uses a UNC path.

Our Application Data points to a dfs share.

However,  users did not have the correct access permissions to the folders in the path before the home folder

Giving the users permissions in the intermediate folders eliminates this problem.

The same problem also occurs if Application Data is set to an explicit drive\folder\file path, if permissions on the folders on that path are insufficient.

Is this behaviour intentional?

|
    Mark as:
    Sep 21, 2009 2:49 PM   in reply to (AndrewLippett)

We had this issue for a very long time and was using Adobe Reader 8 and FoxIt Reader as an alternative for both 32 bit and 64 bit Vista machines.  I have tried all the previous suggestions with the local low folder, registry hacks, trying 9.0, 9.1, 9.2, 9.3 with the same result.

What worked for us is we had folder redirection set for roaming profiles so that Application Data or AppData saves to the users local hard drive rather than the server if you use a UNC path make sure they have permissions to it.

What fixed it for us is this User GPO setting:

"User Configuration/Policies/Windows Settings/FolderRedirection/AppData(Roaming)/Setting:Basic (redirect everyone's folder to the same location)/Options/Grant user exclusive rights to AppData(roaming)" 

This setting must be enabled.  The other two options should be enabled as well but we always had them enabled anyways.

|
    Mark as:
    Sep 24, 2009 2:08 AM   in reply to dpark172

Hi

What a F@@kup morning this is. Last night I installed Adobe Reader 9.1 on 15 Citrix servere. This morning i ran into the same problem as everyone else on this tread.

My environment is 15 Citrix server, with roaming profiles.

When I started the to get the error messages. I started process explorer, and saw that acrord32 did get some access denied on the users home folder.

The home folder is accessed from \\servername\Users$\Office\%username%, acrord32.exe did get access denied on the \\servername\Users$\Office.

Change the ACL on the Office folder, so that Domain users had read. And all worked well. Did not do anything with the profile.

Hope this will help someone.

|
    Mark as:
    Sep 30, 2009 5:58 AM   in reply to Jeremy Lundy

I've been searching for a solution to this problem for MONTHS, waiting for Adobe to release a fix or find a valid workaround that doesn't involve massive (unnecessary) changes to our profiles, registry changes, etc.  I'm finally happy to report that the LocalLow suggestion above resolved this for us.

We are using mandatory profiles for students on our university campus...  In this scenario, profiles are stored up on the server and are pulled down when a user logs in, just like roaming profiles, but are later deleted when the user logs off.  To resolve the Adobe Reader issue, I simply added an emply LocalLow folder under AppData on the server profile.  BINGO - Adobe Reader opens up just fine now.

Thanks to everyone for their assistance with this issue...  It still doesn't explain why Adobe hasn't fixed this yet, but at least it's a valid workaround.

|
    Mark as:
    Oct 1, 2009 2:22 PM   in reply to philbowman

I too have been working on this problem all day.  Users get the error on freshly-imaged computers with Acrobat Reader 9.1, who previously did not have any problem with Acrobat 8.1.  It is definitely a problem with NTFS permissions on the Application Data redirected folder.  We are running a Windows 2003 domain with redirected Documents, Desktops, and Application Data.  The App Data redirected location for users is the following:

• \\Server\AppData\%username%

Our redirected shares are set up to give the user and the Administrators group full permissions for the %username% folder, as described in KB article 288991(http://support.microsoft.com/kb/288991/) and in Moskowitz's group policy book. According to the KB, the \\Server\AppData folder needs the following permissions for users (as well as Full Control for Creator Owner)...

• Create Folders / Append Data
    • Read Permissions
    • Read Attributes
    • Read Extended Attributes

...and this is what we had set up.  This causes Reader 9.1 to crash upon launch.  However, there is some conflicting information between this and KB article 274443* (http://support.microsoft.com/kb/274443/), which suggests these permissions instead:

• Create Folder/Append Data

• List Folder/Read Data

• Read Attributes

• Traverse Folder/Execute File

I discovered that adding the "List Folder/Read Data" permission to \\Server\AppData fixes the Reader problem completely.  I did not need to add Traverse Folder. Whether this should really be neccessary or not, I'm not sure.  Like I said, the two Microsoft KB articles appear to contradict each other.

As an aside, Premier Elements 4 also gave me trouble with redirected Application Data.  I intend to revisit now that I have made this change.

* KB274443 says to apply these permissions to Everyone.  I would not recommend this.  Use an appropriate "staff users" group instead if you have one, or at least the Authenticated Users group instead of Everyone.

|
    Mark as:
    Jan 12, 2010 4:25 PM   in reply to jsand42

I haven't read through all 3 pages of posts, but the general consensus I have is that the issue is in fact related to the redir

ection of the Application Data folder. The main issue being that the use of a UNC path causes the error described, with some mention to explicit user permissions on the root of the folder path.

I was just recently made aware of this issue in our environment. Apparently we've held off upgrading to Adobe 9.x because of this issue. After a little research, it was apparent that simply modifying the default Folder Redirection policies is not possible because the use of a mapped drive is not supported.

I haven't had a chance to test this yet, and may not be able to for some time, so I thought I would share this in case someone else might be able to test. The idea being to simply use a custom ADM file to force the redirection of certain profile folders. Again, I haven't tested this using a mapped drive in the path, but I have successfully used the same settings below to redirect other folders not available by default in Group Policy.

1) Copy the text between ----- Start of ADM ------ and ----- End of ADM ------ and paste it into a text file.

2) Rename the .txt to .adm.

3) Load the ADM template into a GPO.

4) Right click "USER Custom Settings", select "View", select "Filtering" and uncheck the option "Only show policy settings that can be fully managed".

5) Configure the "Redirect Application Data" option as enabled, and enter a mapped drive path.

6) Test.

I'm interested to hear if this is a viable solution or not.

------ Start of ADM -----

CLASS USER
          CATEGORY "USER Custom Settings"

CATEGORY "Folder Redirection Settings"

POLICY "Redirect My Documents"
                      EXPLAIN "By default files are stored as part of the
    user's profile.\n\nConfigure alternative locations here."
                      KEYNAME
    "Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\User Shell Folders"
                      PART "Redirect to" EDITTEXT
                            VALUENAME "Personal"
                            MAXLEN 255
                            DEFAULT ""
                            EXPANDABLETEXT
                      END PART
                      END POLICY ; RedirectHistory

POLICY "Redirect Application Data"
                      KEYNAME
                            VALUENAME "AppData"
                            MAXLEN 255
                            DEFAULT ""
                            EXPANDABLETEXT
                      END PART

POLICY "Redirect Cookies"
                      KEYNAME
                            VALUENAME "Cookies"
                            MAXLEN 255
                            DEFAULT ""
                            EXPANDABLETEXT
                      END PART
                      END POLICY ; RedirectCookies

POLICY "Redirect Favorites"
                      KEYNAME
                            VALUENAME "Favorites"
                            MAXLEN 255
                            DEFAULT ""
                            EXPANDABLETEXT
                      END PART
                      END POLICY ; RedirectFavorites

POLICY "Redirect History"
                      KEYNAME
                            VALUENAME "History"
                            MAXLEN 255
                            DEFAULT ""
                            EXPANDABLETEXT
                      END PART

POLICY "Redirect Recent Documents"
                      KEYNAME
                            VALUENAME "Recent"
                            MAXLEN 255
                            DEFAULT ""
                            EXPANDABLETEXT
                      END PART
                      END POLICY ; RedirectRecent

END CATEGORY
          END CATEGORY

------ END of ADM -----

|
    Mark as:
    Jan 24, 2010 11:03 AM   in reply to (AndrewLippett)

When you have this issue when logging in with a roaming userprofile on a W2K8 Terminalserver then this is the:

CAUSE:
    The LocalLow folder is not created on the Terminalserver. Therefore, any applications that access the LocalLow folder may fail.

RESOLUTION:
    Get the following Microsoft HOTFIX and install it (just fill your e-mail adres and MS sends you the hotfix)

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/955555/en-us

(BE SURE! To open above link from an 2008 server!)

Gr. Testgeb

|
    Mark as:
    Jan 24, 2010 12:38 PM   in reply to fredrikr@ipfw.edu

As users with roaming profiles, it is a very important issue to you. 
    However, in the scheme of things, it may not be very important to the 
    overall user base. If this is a problem for your company, have everyone 
    in your company report the bug in the Adobe Bug report form. The more 
    users they know are effected, the more likely it will be fixed. Believe 
    me if IBM, ATT or the DOD had the problem, it would be fixed ASAP. Your 
    company needs to help make it an important issue to Adobe.

|
    Mark as:
    Jan 24, 2010 12:46 PM   in reply to (AndrewLippett)

When you have this issue when logging in with a roaming userprofile on a W2K8 Terminalserver then this is the:

CAUSE:
    The LocalLow folder is not created on the Terminalserver. Therefore, any applications that access the LocalLow folder may fail.

RESOLUTION:
    Get the following Microsoft HOTFIX and install it (just fill your e-mail adres and MS sends you the hotfix)

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/955555/en-us

(BE SURE! To open above link from an 2008 server!)

Gr. Testgeb

|
    Mark as:
    Jan 24, 2010 4:00 PM   in reply to Janice Janice

NICE ATTITUDE!

|
    Mark as:
    Jan 25, 2010 4:33 AM   in reply to (AndrewLippett)

The easier way to do that, is to just disable folder re-direction from group policy.

|
    Mark as:
    Feb 2, 2010 5:52 PM   in reply to (AndrewLippett)

FYI, we ran into this problemon Windows Vista 32bit with no folder redirection and as many have reported it just started happening, out of the blue, so some update must have caused the problem. Our computers are on a domain but users profiles are all local, we do not use any UNC paths.  I did not create the HDD image for the computers that the problem is occurring on but I can say for sure that it is not just a problem where the profiles/app data folders are redirected or pointed to a UNC path.  This problem is effecting more windows configurations than Adobe has posted in this thread.

I too have not read all three pages of posts so this information may be stale but non-the-less here it is in case you are in my situation and looking for a quick fix.

Completely uninstall Adobe Reader and any Adobe related components such at AIR, adobe.com and download manager, these all come bundled together now.  Then go to this http://get.adobe.com/reader/otherversions/page and download and install the version 8.2 reader, be sure to uncheck the google tool bar option :^) .  This fixed the problem for us, you may not need to uninstall all those apps but this is what I did, I hope it helps you too.

~Garth - UC, Irvine Techie

P.S.  I noticed that this problem only occurred in profiles that were newly created after the update.  Existing profiles did not have this problem.

|
    Mark as:
    Mar 26, 2010 1:57 PM   in reply to Biddoo

Deleted the users profile and the issue is gone.

|
    Mark as:
    Mar 27, 2010 11:18 AM   in reply to ysottot

Deleting the user profile did not fix the problem for our computers.  We had to uninstall the software and install an older version.  I have not tried the latest version so this problem may also be fixed in a recent patch.

|
    Mark as:
    Mar 30, 2010 8:46 AM   in reply to (AndrewLippett)

If you need to have folder redirection in your Group Policy, you can add this script to your local computer policy logon scripts and it should eliminate the Runtime error.

Set objWshShell = WScript.CreateObject("WScript.Shell")
    objWshShell.RegWrite "HKCU\software\microsoft\windows\currentversion\explorer\user shell folders\Appdata", "<YOUR DRIVE LETTER PATH>"

|
    Mark as:
    Apr 1, 2010 11:41 AM   in reply to blindsquirrel17

This is ridiculous.  This has been a known problem for at least two years and Adobe has still failed to do ANYTHING about it.

What about this article? http://kb2.adobe.com/cps/404/kb404597.html

I could've sworn I just recently downloaded the newest version and tried it OK.  But, yet again, I am dealing with this problem.  I have downloaded and installed the newest 9.3 version today.  That version has the same problem.

I don't know why I even want to use this program.  Can anybody seriously tell me why I would want to use Adobe Reader with its adobe air, and adobe.com and its google toolbar, when I can download FoxIt Reader which I have not tried yet?

|
    Mark as:
    Apr 3, 2010 6:49 PM   in reply to (AndrewLippett)

I love reading all of these posts, from all of you folks who are a million times more knowledgable about computer issues than I am.  Here I sit, at home, on a Saturday night, trying yet again to find a way to solve this problem that has been driving me nuts for the last two months.  In my simple little world as a home-based business owner with one primary laptop, the fact that I can't download PDF's is preventing me from compiling my financial data for my accountant.  While some of the language you speak ("tech-speak") has familiar sounds, I can't understand most of what anybody is saying.  All I want to do is to be able to use Reader to get my AMEX and bank statements.  (Yes, I can download the AMEX statements into Excel, but my bank only has PDFs available, and it would cost me an arm and a leg to get paper copies of statements for the number of accounts I have.)  THIS IS SO FRUSTRATING.  For the life of me, can't figure out what the "trigger" was that started this mess.

Is there some place that I, and people like me (i.e., minimally skilled regarding "high-tech" fixes) can turn for a solution for our little one or two computer setups?  I bet you that for every skilled techie that has posted here, there are ten people like me who finish reading the posts, shake their heads, and fail to leave a message because they are either, 1) embarrassed of their ignorance, or 2) so confused by tech-speak that they know they wouldn't understand the directions posted anyway.  I am not complaining...I actually pick up bits and pieces of knowledge reading all of ya all's posts...but, I too need a solution to this problem.

I'm just hoping that maybe one of you has seen a solution to this posted on a, well, more of a "Adobe for Dummies" site.

Thanks in advance for your help!

Stevie

|
    Mark as:
    Apr 3, 2010 7:49 PM   in reply to lsteven47@aol.com

I have stopped following this topic a long time ago, for many reasons.  Mostly because I do not experience the problem myself, so I cannot reproduce any of the many "solutions" and suggestions offered here.

What I would do if I were in your situation is to use one of the several alternate free PDF readers available on the Internet.

|
    Mark as:
    Apr 5, 2010 12:40 PM   in reply to Pat Willener

Hello,

It is so kind of you to respond, especially under the circumstances (that you no-longer have this problem.)  I did find Foxit Reader, and have used that last night, with no difficulty.  Before I read of this on the forum a couple of days ago, I didn't even realize that there are alternatives to Adobe Reader... Now that is a very sad realization.  I just need to spend more time, crawling from one forum to the next, illuminating my mind.

Thanks for your suggestion.

Regards,

Lisa

|
    Mark as:
    Apr 6, 2010 2:25 AM   in reply to (AndrewLippett)

try to Deleted the users profile

|
    Mark as:
    Apr 26, 2010 6:34 PM   in reply to (Luke_Murphy82)

This error occurs on Microsoft Active Directory networks when folder redirection is used to redirect user’s “Application Data” folder AND inappropriate sharing and/or security settings are applied to the network share. This error will occur when a user’s redirected folder security settings have been modified by an administrator to grant the administrator access to the user’s home folders.

In order to resolve the error you should restore the missing security permissions to your home directories. To find out if this note can be of assistance to you pick a user who is having the error and temporarily assign them to the domain administrator’s group and have them logon. If you are using version 9.3 of the program and it begins to work correctly when they are in the administrator’s group, read on. Otherwise, good luck and sorry I couldn’t help you out.

As a reference Microsoft provides guidance in KB 274443 under the section titled “Create security-enhanced redirected folders” and in KB 288991 under the section titled “To set security on the shared folders in Windows Server 2003”

If you followed the direction in KB288991 you have most likely removed several security settings from your original configuration which should be restored in order for the Adobe product to work correctly.

KB 288991 lists the required security in part, for authenticated users as;

Create Folders / Append Data

Read Permissions

Read Attributes

Read Extended Attributes

And KB 274443 lists the same section of permissions as;

Everyone - Create Folder/Append Data (Apply onto: This Folder Only)

Everyone - List Folder/Read Data (Apply onto: This Folder Only)

Everyone - Read Attributes (Apply onto: This Folder Only)

Everyone - Traverse Folder/Execute File (Apply onto: This Folder Only)

Because I can not be responsible for any potential harm you may cause your network while trying to fix this, I can't tell you the answer but you might consider restoring the 2 missing permissions and see if that works.

|
    Mark as:
    May 13, 2010 1:46 PM   in reply to JTFuhler

WARNING: If your running Windows 7 in an AD environment with redirected folders and you have

added the admin account to your users redirected folders (and who doesn't, you need to do this if you want to back them up)

they will get this error and Adobe Reader 9.3 will NOT work.  You could go thru all the steps in trying to set the perms or better yet just rollback to Adobe Reader 8.x. No benefit in using 9. Or even better yet ditch Adobe Reader all together.

Why can't you just be windows compliant Adobe?

|
    Mark as:
    May 17, 2010 11:02 PM   in reply to dflo1616

Just called Adobe 'support', credit card at the ready, to pay for an support incident so that I could fix this freekin' C++ Runtime error...

Support: "I'm sorry sir, we don't support Adobe Reader"

Me: "Oh, I'm wanting to open a paid support incident for it"

Support: "I'm sorry sir, we don't offer paid support for Adobe Reader either"

Me: "..."

Me: "Sorry, just let me get this straight.  You don't offer support, not even paid incident support, for one of your products?"

Support: "No, I'm sorry sir, we don't"

Me: "..."

Me: "Right.  Thanks for your 'help'."

Anyway...

I have the same issue as the rest of you here, but I don't have a UNC path for my AppData folder.  However, I did find that the aforementioned AppData folder issue is causing the problem for me as well.

My setup is as follows:

- Adobe Reader v9.3

- 2x Windows 2008 Terminal Servers - TS1 & TS2

- Roaming Profiles

The issue for me would manifest in a really strange way.  If I logged onto TS1 as a new user (ie; no profile), I could run AR with no problems, but when I logged onto TS2, it crashed.  I thought it was an issue with TS2, but subsequent testing showed that if I logged into TS2 for the first time as a new user AR worked fine on TS2, but not on TS1!?

The root of the problem is that with roaming profiles under '%UserProfile%\AppData' there are 3 folders:

Roaming

Local

LocalLow

If the 'LocalLow' folder is missing, AR crashes (as mentioned in some of the posts above).  Create the folder and it works fine!!  From the diagnosis I've done, it appears that AR checks for the existence of the 'LocalLow' folder and if it can't find it, it crashes!  Nice coding guys!!

The reason for the strange manifestation in my case with my 2 TSs is that the 'LocalLow' folder only gets created when a new profile is being built and in a limited number of other circumstances.  Also, with roaming profiles, when the user logs off only the 'Roaming' folder is replicated back to the network, the 'Local' and 'LocalLow' folders are not.  So therefore; for a TS where a new user logs on for the first time, everything is fine and continues to be fine (as long as the locally cached roaming profile is not deleted).  However, after logon to a second and subsequent TSs, the 'LocalLow' folder is not copied from the network (because it doesn't exist in the roaming profile) and not created (because it's not a first-time profile creation), and so AR goes all 'error code city' on your @ss...

The MS hotfix mentioned in TestGeb's post (http://forums.adobe.com/message/2541067#2541067) seems to promise a fix.  I will test for my situation and let you know.

EDIT: Yes, that fixes the issue for me as well!

I'm just thinking.  This could be related to the UNC 'AppData' path issue.  If the 'LocalLow' folder doesn't exist in the UNC pathed AppData folder I expect the same issue would occur.  It's possible that AR can't read the UNC path correctly tho.

Hope this helps someone!

Sam.

|
    Mark as:
    May 19, 2010 8:46 PM   in reply to Sambo_NZ

I had this and was able to fix it.  It wasn't even an adobe issue.

Are you guys ApproveIt software?  That's what was giving me the errors.

Look here in the registry

HKCU\Software\VB and VBA Macros

Under that key look for anything that says Software with a + in front of it and delete it.

If that's not the problem 2 other solutions for you

uninstall adobe reader and reinstall it to C:\Program Files\Adobe2

Or reprofile the user.

|
    Mark as:
    Jul 6, 2010 6:53 AM   in reply to (AndrewLippett)

Hi,

I've read through and tried all the different "fixes" posted on this thread (except the posts advising to switch off folder redirect for the appdata folder or mess with the registry) and none of them worked.

We have however got it to work by simply adding a NTFS permission. Sounds to good to be true, but it does in fact work like a charm.

On our SBS2008 we have the accounts all creating and redirecting to a folder on the server called "E:\RoamingProfiles" and as expected all the user folders are automatically created within.

To fix this problem we added all the users to a security group and added the group to the NTFS permissions (security tab in Properties) for E:\RoamingProfiles with only "List Folder/Read Data" selected on the "This folder and files" selection. (Don't touch any other permissions)

After relogging the user (to activate the group permission) and starting Adobe Reader it all works without the error.

I hope this helps

Kind Regards

Johan Badenhorst

|
    Mark as:
    Aug 24, 2010 7:31 PM   in reply to JohanBadenhorst

Thank you.

Fix confirmed.  IT DOES WORK!

Grant "USERS" List folder/Read Data permissions on "this folder only" for the top level folder that holds your user's appdata folder.

Finally, after 3 years, a REAL fix that doesn't involve "avoiding" features or creating extra headaches for a piece of crap program like Adobe Reader.

Thanks Adobe for NEVER fixing this problem.  You're a joke.

|
    Mark as:
    Aug 25, 2010 3:42 AM   in reply to appleoddity

Great! I'm glad I'm not a complete waste of oxygen :-D

I have read that a proper fix for adobe reader is due in October'10, so hopefully we should see it doing what its meant to without the need for years of experimenting with workarounds :/

|
    Mark as:
    Aug 27, 2010 4:40 PM   in reply to JohanBadenhorst

That sounds nice. Is that official statement from Adobe or just rumors? Can you give a link?

|
    Mark as:
    Aug 30, 2010 5:00 PM   in reply to JohanBadenhorst

I tried this trick again today, and it did not work.

I found out that Adobe Reader v9.0.0.332 still does not work.

I upgraded to v9.3.3.177 and all is well.

|
    Mark as:
    Aug 30, 2010 5:14 PM   in reply to appleoddity

I'm on Vista and found the fix

http://kb2.adobe.com/cps/404/kb404597.html

|
    Mark as:
    Sep 1, 2010 8:28 AM   in reply to appleoddity

I'm running Windows 7 (64-bit) and have been getting the "Runtime Error" message on my new Dell computer.   I tried installing Adobe Reader v. 9.3.4 yesterday and no luck.  I've tried uninstalling and reinstalling all Adobe software to no avail.  Does anyone have any suggestions for a casual (i.e. non-IT) user?

|
    Mark as:
    Sep 1, 2010 8:44 AM   in reply to Dan Corcoran

Is this computer a stand alone computer in a home?  If so, the problems discussed in this thread concern problems with Adobe Reader in a domain/networked environment.  You may be having a problem with something else, and I suggest you continue searching the forums, or open a new thread.

If the computer is on a network, in a business, on a domain, etc.  then you need to speak your IT staff to adjust the security permissions properly as stated in some of the most recent message of this thread.

|
    Mark as:
    Sep 1, 2010 8:47 AM   in reply to Dan Corcoran

Yes, uninstall Adob Reader and download Nitro Free PDF Reader. http://www.nitroreader.com/download/

I am currently moving all my users to this FREE PDF reader that lets you do all things you want to with a PDF but can't with just Adobe Reader without paying for the Acrobat. You can SAVE fill in form PDF's, Edit Text, Instert Text, and insert your signature and then save the PDF, one of the biggest features people want, so you don't have to pint it out, sign it, scan it back in or fax it. I have been using it for a over a month now and will never go back to Adobe Reader. It is spyware/adware free and also comes with a PDF Printer so you can convert anything you can print to a PDF.

|
    Mark as:
Actions

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)