Expand my Community achievements bar.

Preview PDF grayed out

Level 1

I am using Designer for the first time, and I wanted to preview the PDF after I had added a few fields to a new form.  But when I go to turn on the View > Preview PDF tab the selection is grayed out.  I can publish the PDF and tehn look at it, but that's a pain.  I have Adobe Acrobat Pro 9.0, and I selected that in the Properties - Default, but it is still grayed out.

Help!

7 Replies

Level 10

Hi,

Try starting Acrobat first (and have it in the background) then start up LC Designer.

Also have a look at the preferences in Acrobat. The display in browser affects whether LC designer previews the form in LC or pushes it out to Acrobat.

Hope that helps,

Niall

Level 1

Niall,

Thank you for your response. I tried opening Reader first, and also checked Preferences. The Preview PDF is still grayed out. The only way I can see what the form is going to look like is if I publish it. Not a terrible problem, but obviously a hassle.

Dale Reynolds

Level 10

Hi,

One the PC that you are using LC Designer, do you have a copy of the full version of Acrobat?

The problem might be if you are depending on the free Reader, instead of Acrobat.

??

N.

Level 1

I have Adobe Acrobat Pro 9.0. I also have Adobe Reader 9.0 installed.

Dale

Level 10

Hi Dale,

Close both applications. Try opening Acrobat 9 Pro first and then start LC Designer.

We had this issue before and (unfortunately) I cannot recall how I solved it, apart from the work around of Acrobat first and then LC Designer.

Good luck,

Niall

Former Community Member

The Preview uses an ActiveX control that gets installed when Acrobat is installed. My guess is that your OS is set up so that the ActiveX control cannot be installed.

Paul

Level 1

Thank you for your reply. I think you may be correct about ActiveX. I tried the other suggestions about opening Reader first, then LiveCycle, but to no avail.

I'll just have to publish the form from time to time to see how it looks.

Dale