• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Acrobat 9 Pro - Cannot delete pages

New Here ,
Aug 21, 2009 Aug 21, 2009

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have a pdf created from a Word 2007 document that has blank "place holder" pages in it.  I want to delete the "place holder" pages, but I keep getting the following error message "One or more pages are in use and could not be deleted."  Why do I keep getting that?  I never had this issue in Acrobat 8.

I have tried creating the pdf in Acrobat, I have used the Acrobat tab in Word, I have right-clicked on the file in explorer and selected Convert to PDF.  The method of conversion/creation has no bearing on the problem.  I have made sure that under the conversion preferences in Word the Create PDF/A option is unchecked.  I cannot find that option in Acrobat Preferences.  I have also tried changing the view mode for PDF/A documents to "Never" under the Acrobat Preferences.  Nothing seems to work.

In a perhaps related note, I cannot save the document after inserting pages.  The save button and File menu save are grayed out.  I have to use the save as.

Any help or suggestions would be greatly appreciated!

Cheers

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,
Aug 21, 2009 Aug 21, 2009

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm new to Acrobat and had the same problem with 9 Pro.  What worked for me was to save the document, get out of it, reopen it and then delete the page and save again.  Seemed like a lot of steps, but it worked.  If anyone else has THE answer, I would love to see it too.

ckwynne1

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Aug 22, 2009 Aug 22, 2009

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

In your list of methods, you did not indicate printing to the Adobe PDF printer. You might try that.

I think the key is your side comment about PDF/A. Select a different job settings, like the press or print settings. As I recall, PDF/A files can not be edited as they are archive files (reason for the A). I am not sure I am correct on this, but making that change is worth a try.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm not sure I understand what you mean. The form was a Word document

transformed to an AA9 form. Doesn't that automatically make it a pdf? What

is PDF/A?

You are correct a pdf file cannot be edited even if you have a full version

of Acrobat.

Cindy Wynne

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Mark mentioned a PDF/A format which is an archive form of PDF and has some restrictions as a result. I do not know that much about it, but it may be that pages can not be deleted. If you open the PDF as a form in Designer, then you can no longer make changes on the form in Acrobat, which may be your case. You probably would not have a PDF/A document which requires the selection of the appropriate job settings. If don't know what I was talking about, you would most likely never have chosen that setting.

For forms, be sure you are talking about Acroforms (created with the tools under the Acrobat TOOLS menu). If you go to the FORMS menu, you will most likely find yourself in Designer. In that case, you would have to delete the pages in Designer (as least I am pretty sure that is the case). If your problem deals more with forms, you may want to start a new topic and leave this one to the original question that seems to be different.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Sep 18, 2009 Sep 18, 2009

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I've had a similar problem on a file with over 650 pages.  Ouch!!!.  It took about 15 hours, but I finally found a way around it.

First, I selected all pages, and then I extracted all pages to a folder I set up on my desktop.  Make sure you create a folder for this first, or you may send hundreds of individual files to your desktop.  Make sure you select the box that says to save as individual files.  Do not select the box that says to delete files after you have extracted; you want to keep the original file as is. When this was done, I went to the new folder and found all of my pages there as individual .pdf files, except for the corrupt page.  This told me what page was causing the problem.

I tried many times to take all of the good files and combine them into a single file, but that did not work, so don't waste your time.  I think perhaps I had too many of them.

So the next thing I did was go back to my original document, I took the bad page, and I moved it to the end of my document.  Let's say it was now page number 653.

I then went to the document tab and clicked on split.  I set the split to not allow more than 652 pages per split.  It then created two documents.  One with 652 good pages, and one with a single bad page.  I then deleted the .pdf with the single bad page.  Now all I have to do is to create a single new page for the one that was corrupt.

A little tedius I know, but really not that bad.  I wish I had figured this out 15 hours sooner.

Gary

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Oct 09, 2009 Oct 09, 2009

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have had the same problem, but none of the solutions offered worked. I then remembered that the "delete page" worked before I installed an add-in called "TerraGo Toolbar". I just uninstalled it, reopened Acrobat and it works just fine now!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I sent an email to TerraGo Support and they sent the following response: "This has bug has been discovered and our development team is quickly creating a patch to resolve the problem. The patch should be available within a week or two (near the end of October, 2009). For your reference, the bug number assigned to this case is: 3620. Check back in about two weeks and hopefully the patch will be available. Again, I apologize for the inconvenience."

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Mar 16, 2010 Mar 16, 2010

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I had the same problem.  I tried your solution of unistalling the TerraGo Toolbar and it worked.  Thanks.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
May 30, 2010 May 30, 2010

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks.  Uninstalled the TerraGo toolbar and now I can delete pages with Acrobat Pro 9.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm not sure I understand what you mean.

However, Acrobat is little complicated for me to operate. So when I need to do some simple modifying toward my PDF files,  I always convert PDF files to editable word format with AnyBizSoft PDF to Word Converter and edit them with MS Word. It supports encrypted files and preserves text, layouts, images and hyperlinks accurately.

After you edit it, you can use an office add-on SaveAsPDF to save word as PDF format if necessary.

You all can have a free trial and sincerely hope they can do you some favor.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Oct 12, 2010 Oct 12, 2010

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I had the same problem, also had the Terra toolbar.  The version of the toolbar I had while I had the problem was 5.0.  Upgraded to 5.6 and the problem is gone, for now at least.  I would suggest that tact first.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jan 14, 2011 Jan 14, 2011

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have read the question, I have the same problem.... where is the answer?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jan 15, 2011 Jan 15, 2011

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Several persons have reported this problem inlcuding me. The way I solved

it was following the suggestion posted in this tread. I unistalled the

TerraGo Toolbar and the problem was gone. Good luck.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jan 18, 2011 Jan 18, 2011

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Sorry, I forgot to post my solution.  It was indeed the TerraGo Toolbar, as some suggested, that was causing the issue.  Once that was uninstalled everything worked normally.  I reported the issue to TerraGo (maybe the bug report number that one user gave) and they said it would be fixed.  I have not tried installing the toolbar again, so I have no idea if it was ever fixed.

Good luck with your troubleshooting.

Mark

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Jan 18, 2011 Jan 18, 2011

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It was indeed the TerraGo Toolbar.  I have reinstalled the toolbar (latest version) and the problem did not return.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jul 30, 2011 Jul 30, 2011

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Let's say you have a Mac and therefore cannot and do not use the toolbar and are using Acrobat Pro 10.1 and are STILL having the page in use/deletion problem? Then what?

As with another poster I found you have to keep quitting ansd relaunching Acrobat to continue delating pages which is ridiculuous.

This is happening continually now; it wasn't this bad before. So maybe a recent system update is responsibile?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Sep 13, 2011 Sep 13, 2011

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

I am using Adobe X 10.1.0 on a MacBook Pro with OS 10.6 (I have not upgraded to Lion because too many programs I use are not yet compatible) and continually having the "cannot delete pages" problem.  It doesn't matter how I go about trying to delete (i.e. Keyboard, menu, trashcan, etc.); they all return the same error command.  Sometimes restarting the app works, but not always.  Very frustrating since I use acrobat all day long.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines