Skip navigation
Currently Being Moderated

How do you export a 1080i AVCHD project as an uncompressed file

Oct 13, 2009 11:18 AM

I have an AVCHD 1920x1080 60i 29.97fps project (shot on a Canon HF10) that I need to export as a self contained (audio/video together) uncompressed file that's playable in Windows Media Player or Quicktime Pro and that can be edited again later on if need be in Premiere Pro CS4.

I have all the latest updates to CS4 and drivers, etc.  My PC is an i7 2.93 GHz, Vista SP2 32 bit, 6 GB RAM.  I have a GTX295 video card.

Here's what I have tried so far:

-I tried exporting as a Quicktime file and despite choosing widescreen the video plays back vertically squeezed.

-I tried exporting using Uncompressed AVI and the file played back in Windows Media Player with aduio only and no video.

-I chose Microsoft AVI and then chose "codec none" so it would be uncompressed.  I got video and audio but the video stutters.

If I export to a Blu-ray MP4 or reduce the quality to a DVD AVI (720x480) it exports and plays back fine.

On a different note, if I take the widescreen DV AVI and bring that into Quicktime Pro it looks vertically squeezed.

Can anyone tell me what settings I should be using to export?  I want to be able to archive the file and reuse it later without losing quality.

Can anyone recommend optimal settings to go to burn to Blu-ray too?  What's the best quality format to export to?

Replies
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Oct 13, 2009 11:33 AM   in reply to blackrosekiller
    -I chose Microsoft AVI and then chose "codec none" so it would be uncompressed.  I got video and audio but the video stutters.

That is a correct setting, but the stuttering is probably caused by your lacking disk setup. An alternative might be to use Lagarith, a free visually lossless codec.

|
    Mark as:
    Oct 13, 2009 1:17 PM   in reply to blackrosekiller

Lagarith is safe to install.  It's an excellent, free codec for DI work.

Choose Microsoft AVI as your starting point, then Lagarith as the codec on the Video tab.  Make sure all export settings (frame rate, resolution, fields, etc.) match exactly your source footage.

|
    Mark as:
    Oct 13, 2009 1:37 PM   in reply to blackrosekiller

Both Lagarith and HuffYuv are good and free. They are about equal in performance.

|
    Mark as:
    Oct 13, 2009 3:25 PM   in reply to blackrosekiller

Others will need the same codec installed to play the files.

|
    Mark as:
    Oct 13, 2009 11:53 PM   in reply to blackrosekiller
    I'm thinking that MOV would be the most flexible format.

As long as you are on a MAC. Not on a PC. It is called QuiRckTime for a reason.

|
    Mark as:
    Oct 14, 2009 4:14 AM   in reply to blackrosekiller

My first choice for HD MOV export is Avid's DNxHD codec.  Avid provides it as a free download.  Second choice is Photo-JPEG.  The Animation codec has slipped to third because it's slower and creates larger files.

-Jeff

|
    Mark as:
    Oct 14, 2009 10:15 AM   in reply to blackrosekiller

H.264 isn't lossless or even close.  It is a more efficient compression scheme than MPEG2, but it is still heavily compressed.  At HD resolutions it can produce very, very good results, but the CPU overhead required to decode it is immense.  The other codecs I listed don't require near as much CPU power to decode, and they are closer to lossless than H.264.

DNxHD works just fine in Pr.

-Jeff

|
    Mark as:
    Oct 14, 2009 2:00 PM   in reply to blackrosekiller

They will.  That's where Uncompressed comes in handy.  No codec required.  (Makes for really big files, though.)

|
    Mark as:
    Oct 14, 2009 4:34 PM   in reply to blackrosekiller

The first option should work fine.  Perhaps your system just can't handle the Uncompressed file.  It requires some serious hard drive throughput for HD video.

|
    Mark as:

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)

Answers + Points = Status

• 10 points awarded for Correct Answers
  • 5 points awarded for Helpful Answers
  • 10,000+ points
  • 1,001-10,000 points
  • 501-1,000 points
  • 5-500 points