Skip navigation
Currently Being Moderated

Check my rig

Oct 7, 2009 9:32 PM

I posted this in Toms Hardware, but since I'm gearing this rig up to edit AVCHD files in Premier primarily, I thought I'd get some input from here too.

=-=-=-

APPROXIMATE PURCHASE DATE: I can wait for Windows 7 (10/22) if a clean install is better than an upgrade.
BUDGET RANGE: $1000-1800 After Rebates

SYSTEM USAGE FROM MOST TO LEAST IMPORTANT: HD video editing, Internet, burning movies, hosting media, Office and Productions apps.

PARTS NOT REQUIRED: Keyboard, mouse, monitor, speakers*

PREFERRED WEBSITE(S) FOR PARTS: newegg.com is fine. 
COUNTRY OF ORIGIN: US

PARTS PREFERENCES: Core i7

OVERCLOCKING: Maybe 
SLI OR CROSSFIRE: No

MONITOR RESOLUTION: 1920x1200 (HP w2408h)

ADDITIONAL COMMENTS: The monitor has an HDMI input, which I would like to use. So, I think *audio must come through the HDMI cable. I'm using a Sony consumer grade HD camcorder (AVCHD) and Adobe CS4. My wife uses various Office apps as well as Illustrator/Photoshop for work. I have a 1TB USB drive and a 1TB network drive for nightly backups. Stuff me with RAM and spindles please. Needs to be fast and reliable. No gaming!

Replies
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Oct 8, 2009 1:42 AM   in reply to Ferdie2

Ferdie,

It looks good. For the disks I would not choose Seagate, but then I'm biased because of all the problems Seagate has had in the past and because of the temperatures. I would get 3 WD Caviar Blacks or Samsung F3's. No other comments.

|
    Mark as:
    Oct 8, 2009 4:29 AM   in reply to Ferdie2

Personally I would prefer a 1 TB disk for scratch, even though it is somewhat slower than the Velociraptor, because of 3 reasons:

1. It is a lot cheaper.

2. The fill rate is much lower, especially with large projects, offsetting the speed advantage of the Velociraptor.

3. It has a 32 MB buffer instead of the 16 MB buffer on the Velociraptor.

Chances are that with 100GB in use, a 1 TB disk would be even faster than a 150 GB Velociraptor.

|
    Mark as:
    Oct 8, 2009 9:23 AM   in reply to Ferdie2

Ferdie,

Just to make sure you understand my intention:

1. 300 GB Velociraptor is great for OS & programs.

2. For scratch I would use a 1 TB disk.

Have a look at post #9 where I posted some HDTach results, http://forums.adobe.com/message/2301552?tstart=0#2301552

I think that will make it a bit clearer for you.

|
    Mark as:
    Oct 8, 2009 12:58 PM   in reply to Ferdie2

For the mobo, look closely at the features. This is where they differ. Do you need IDE, do you need SAS, how many SATA ports do you need, do you need dual NIC's, do you need on-board sound, how many firewire ports do you need, etcetera?

Probably a P6T-SE can suffice and is a lot cheaper than the WS Pro or WS Revolution.

Interesting to see this report about CPU coolers. What always strikes me is that different sites come up with often conflicting results from their benchmarking. I mean, HDTach is HDTach, Atto is Atto, but with temperatures, that are so important for stability and longevity, you see such conflicting results and mostly lacking information on the tests and circumstances under which they were performed. It would be nice if all these sites were to report that tests were performed in a controlled environment with 21 degrees C ambient temperature, that the idle temperature measured was X degrees and after having run Super-Pi during one hour the load temperature was Y degrees. That would be worthwhile information.

This site reports quite different results than AnandTech and other sites. Which one do you believe? I just don't know. Often these results leave out whether a cooler was used in 'push' configuration or in 'push-pull' configuration, even though this may make a 3 degrees difference, even when overclocked. Most of these coolers are quite good and the difference is whether you can overclock your system to 3.84 GHz or 3.92 GHz and run it in a stable fashion. Not the most interesting criterium for video editors I guess.

Thanks for posting this link.

|
    Mark as:
    Oct 11, 2009 2:36 PM   in reply to Ferdie2

Ferdie,

Thanks for posting these images. Quite illustrative. One question however, with the double height Kingston HyperX memory modules, did you have trouble installing these in the first bank because of the size of the CoolerMaster CPU cooler, or was it just easier to use the second bank? Do you still have the capability to add three more sticks?

|
    Mark as:
    Oct 14, 2009 3:11 AM   in reply to Ferdie2

Good to know. I did not have any problems myself, but from various sources I heard about the difficulty of installing for instance the very high Kingston HyperX sticks with their heat spreaders in the first slot with some CPU coolers. Something I should have mentioned in the PC buying guide, had I been aware of such potential dififculties.

You now have a very nice rig. Happy editing.

|
    Mark as:
    Oct 14, 2009 3:46 PM   in reply to Ferdie2

Based on post #9 with the CPU. Is that not a little too much thermal paste you applied? According to Noctua's instructions 4-5mm of thermal paste should be enough. Applying too much could cause ineffective heat transfer.

It should look something like this

Attachments:

|
    Mark as:

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)

Answers + Points = Status

• 10 points awarded for Correct Answers
  • 5 points awarded for Helpful Answers
  • 10,000+ points
  • 1,001-10,000 points