Skip navigation

4.2 update coming...

Sep 25, 2009 4:57 PM

Latest reply: StromGuy, Nov 10, 2009 2:09 PM
Replies 1 2 3 4 ... 6 Previous Next
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Sep 29, 2009 3:37 PM   in reply to Eric Addison
    But you never know - there may be a 4.3 update...

Hey, I already lost my bet that the next release would be CS5. I'm staying out of any CS4.3 discussion - I'm broke!

Hunt

|
    Mark as:
    Sep 29, 2009 5:46 PM   in reply to joshtownsend

The fixes are locked and being tested right now.

I should have mentioned that my 5D2 support dream is a hopeful for CS5. Being a software developer for 11 years, I know they can't just "pop" it in... I'm whiny but realistic!

|
    Mark as:
    Sep 29, 2009 5:59 PM   in reply to PaulieDC

Exactly why I've been driving you guys nuts for the last 6 months!

I meant call us to do it, and then pay us for doing it.  It's no good people trying to do our jobs on their own, and then asking for free advice when they can't.

|
    Mark as:
    Oct 1, 2009 2:14 PM   in reply to Bill Hunt

I'm not sold on the 7D yet, cramming 18 million cells on a crop sensor just makes them too small, you lose the great low-light advantage of a full frame

I made that statement a few days ago, seriously concerned about that. Yesterday, CanonRumours.com posted their hands-on review of the 7D:

I will say that this camera is a lot noisier at ISO 400 than the 1D Mark III. It’s not even close. I didn’t see any difference between the 7D and 50D as far as noise goes in print. The “noise pattern” was a little more appealing in the 7D. However, if you’re looking for a clean high ISO performing camera, get a 5D Mark II or wait a while for new EOS-1’s.

I was afraid of that. They did state that the 24p looks quite good. That's dandy if you're shooting in the daytime I guess. Noisy at ISO 400? That's not good, although in some situations, noise is artistically acceptable. Look how much the Blair Witch Project pulled in.

|
    Mark as:
    Oct 1, 2009 10:28 PM   in reply to Antinet

Antinet wrote:

....Premiere might be better than FCP on the PC, but it sure isnt on the mac.

Curious....can you elaborate on this?

Are there features missing on the Mac side vs. the Windows side?

|
    Mark as:
    Oct 2, 2009 9:33 AM   in reply to Andrew M Clark

You know, to the Mac user's defense, I don't know if that wonderful integration in Production Premium is all there like the Windows folks enjoy. It MIGHT be, I don't know enough about the Mac version. Mac folks are going to be very dedicated to FCP I suppose. However, the price for Apple's editor is the same as my upsell cost for the entire Production Premium suite, and look at all the apps I get! And, hardware is cheaper, without question. Bottom line is that I built a screaming i7 rig for $1500 less than the equivalent MacPro. That pays for a full Production Premium CS4. Hard to argue that FCP can be a better choice... what, for a few features here and there? What on earth is only doable in FCP that Premiere and After Effects can't achieve? I can't imagine NOT being able to right-click and shoot a clip on my timeline over to Photoshop CS4 Extended for some rapid-fire editing and then inhale it right back into Premiere. Is that available for the Mac? One thing they lack is the fact that Photoshop is 64 bit in Windows, and it is definitely speedier than 32 bit.

All in all, Premiere vs FCP is probably Ferrari vs Lamborghini... I just prefer a Ferrari hands down.

|
    Mark as:
    Oct 2, 2009 10:11 AM   in reply to PaulieDC
    You know, to the Mac user's defense, I don't know if that wonderful integration in Production Premium is all there like the Windows folks enjoy. It MIGHT be, I don't know enough about the Mac version.

Dynamic Link is the same between Mac and PC users.

Mac folks are going to be very dedicated to FCP I suppose.

Definitely - picking an NLE (or computer platform) becomes a very personal and emotional choice.

However, the price for Apple's editor is the same as my upsell cost for the entire Production Premium suite, and look at all the apps I get! And, hardware is cheaper, without question. Bottom line is that I built a screaming i7 rig for $1500 less than the equivalent MacPro. That pays for a full Production Premium CS4. Hard to argue that FCP can be a better choice... what, for a few features here and there?

Thanks for playing the role of salesman for me!  Glad to know that I'm not the only one..

What on earth is only doable in FCP that Premiere and After Effects can't achieve? I can't imagine NOT being able to right-click and shoot a clip on my timeline over to Photoshop CS4 Extended for some rapid-fire editing and then inhale it right back into Premiere. Is that available for the Mac? One thing they lack is the fact that Photoshop is 64 bit in Windows, and it is definitely speedier than 32 bit.

All in all, Premiere vs FCP is probably Ferrari vs Lamborghini... I just prefer a Ferrari hands down.

NIce.

|
    Mark as:
    Oct 2, 2009 11:41 AM   in reply to dradeke

You know us Jersey guys... call 'em like we see 'em.

I should clarify one statement I made about sending a clip to Photoshop and back to Premiere... when I said "is that available for the Mac", I meant from FCP to Photoshop and back. But I figure you knew that!

I tell ya Dennis, if you've got a 5D2 and you're doing both stills and video, the PP suite is priceless. It doesn't matter how good FCP is, it's too separate. In one environment I can edit stills, build video, twang it in After Effects, even tweak video is Photoshop (every frame in a separate layer!), fix the sound in Soundbooth (and even add an audience track now that SB does multitrack), encode encode encode to outputs all over the place, or, build my DVD in Encore, add killer images to the DVD that I edited in Photoshop, add artwork I drew in Illustrator, and even dump it into a Flash-Ready webpage (let's not forget how much better Bridge is now!). And from a still side, ACR is more insane than ever... the Adjustment Brush alone is worth the price of admission.

How can that be beat? Amongst the video professionals I don't have any experience to bring to the debate table if the subject is only NLE, but after YEARS of audio engineering and still photography, adding the new leg called video to this mix makes the Prod Suite a no brainer, at least for me.

Oh, let's not forget that you can add Audition 3.0 for only $99! And if that wasn't enough, there's still more on the list (On Location, etc).

It's a bee-yoo-tee-ful thing.

|
    Mark as:
    Oct 2, 2009 12:25 PM   in reply to Andrew M Clark
    Are there features missing on the Mac side vs. the Windows side?

There are Effects and Transitions, that are included in the PC version, but not the Mac version of PrPro. Do not know what else might be different, platform to platform.

Hunt

|
    Mark as:
    Oct 2, 2009 1:31 PM   in reply to Bill Hunt

This THREAD will give you a pretty complete list of the missing Effects and Transitions.

Good luck,

Hunt

|
    Mark as:
    Oct 2, 2009 4:31 PM   in reply to PaulieDC

Thanks for all the replies / insights; much enjoy reading them!!

I suppose one could have a MacPro and install FCS on the Mac side and (via BootCamp) install CS4 on the Windows side .... and have the best of both worlds....maybe?!

|
    Mark as:
    Oct 2, 2009 7:49 PM   in reply to Andrew M Clark

If you're going Mac, just use Production Premium on the Mac...  You'll still have the best of both worlds.

|
    Mark as:
    Oct 2, 2009 8:22 PM   in reply to Eric Addison

is there a bug fix list yet?

|
    Mark as:
    Oct 3, 2009 10:19 AM   in reply to Eric Addison

Eric Addison wrote:

Came across this:

In the 4.2 update there are a couple of major changes in Adobe Media Encoder which could help Encore CS4 in some cases.

Look for 2 CS4 updates, one on Premiere Pro (4.2) and one on Media Encoder (4.2). We are targeting the end of the month.

Testing is going well. A few sneaks:  AVC Intra support, FCP 7 Import, and improvements to HD to SD down convert. I’ll do a full write up on my http://blogs.adobe.com.davtechtable as well as new video showing the features and changes.Should post mid Oct.

There goes Dave blabbin!

He's got a great blog with how to videos and will be doing one on the Premiere Pro 4.2 release.  I'm playing with Premiere Pro 4.2 but still have yet to grab the Adobe Media Encoder update....You have no idea of how many servers are splattered all over the place!

All of the above is comfirmed.

Dennis

|
    Mark as:
    Oct 3, 2009 11:36 AM   in reply to dradeke

This isn't related so much with the 4.2 update, even though I am extremely excited about it. I wanted to thank you Dennis for all the help and inspiration you have given us with your knowledge and tutorials. They have really motivated me to go further with my projects. So thanks for all you are doing!!

|
    Mark as:
    Oct 3, 2009 4:38 PM   in reply to JBrown321

Hey Brown, thanks. 

All of the guys in my group really love what we do and genuinely like to play with this stuff all of the time (witness my response on a Saturday night!).

More importantly, for as many times as we hear what's not working, it's nice to be told that what we are doing is helpful to some - so from me and my guys to you - thank YOU.

Dennis

|
    Mark as:
    Oct 3, 2009 4:44 PM   in reply to Eric Addison

FCP export is not to my knowledge a part of Premiere Pro 4.2.  We're still very much looking at it though and I'm playing with it.  One of the 'problems' with FCP export is that FCP just doesn't understand all of the codecs and formats that Premiere Pro does so if you're doing P2, it presents a different set of challenges.  Still, we know that this is valuable to many, so I would say, "Stay tuned."

Opening video - Aharon Rabinowitz of Creative Cow and Red Giant fame did it for me and I've asked him if he's done a tutorial on it.  Of course, it's all After Effects.

Dennis

|
    Mark as:
    Oct 5, 2009 11:15 AM   in reply to dradeke

Will there be an improvement in Multicam editing in 4.2? I (and others) have found Multicam to be very slow and sluggish in 4.1. I revert to XP and CS3 for multicam editing at the moment.

|
    Mark as:
    Oct 5, 2009 1:43 PM   in reply to Mark Morreau

mark__m wrote:

Will there be an improvement in Multicam editing in 4.2? I (and others) have found Multicam to be very slow and sluggish in 4.1. I revert to XP and CS3 for multicam editing at the moment.

Not to my knowledge, but I'll check it out.

|
    Mark as:
    Oct 5, 2009 3:01 PM   in reply to dradeke

Thanks. Here are some links to threads discussing 4.1 Multicam problems:

http://forums.adobe.com/message/2254403#2254403

http://forums.adobe.com/message/2030171#2030171

and

http://forums.adobe.com/message/2046287#2046287

I've experienced all these things, and am really looking for a fix. I'd read elsewhere that multicam issues had been acknowledged by Adobe and that a fix was in the works... here's hoping!

cheers

Mark

|
    Mark as:
    Oct 7, 2009 4:14 PM   in reply to Eric Addison

Dennis,

Can you give us any more details on what was fixed in 4.2?

Thanks!

|
    Mark as:
    Oct 8, 2009 6:55 AM   in reply to Eric Addison

I like to see preset for using all favor of Panasonic’s Gh-1 camera.  Including support for third party board like Black Magic Design and Matrox with the new preset.

KiMW

|
    Mark as:
    Oct 8, 2009 9:50 AM   in reply to Eric Addison

i would like to see sony HVR-HD1000N fully support

|
    Mark as:
    Oct 8, 2009 9:56 AM   in reply to hospital tv

It is supported.

|
    Mark as:
    Oct 8, 2009 7:42 PM   in reply to dradeke

Do you (or anyone) know if CS 4.2 will support that latest Red files (Red v21)?

Red's new api greatly improve image.....which is supported by FCP but not Premiere/AE as yet.

Last update was via a Red/Adobe CS4 installer patch. Red developers tell me their waiting on Adobe.

Dave

|
    Mark as:
    Oct 9, 2009 3:08 AM   in reply to David Farland

Dave,

I do not know.  We will certainly continue to build and expand on RED camera support as it's very important to us and we clearly have the best overall RED workflow right now.

I did take a quick look at the RED build and didn't see anything interesting with the exception of 4.5k.  Also, I saw that Apple is supporting build 20 not 21.

If I find out anything additional for 4.2, I will let you know.

Dennis

|
    Mark as:
    Oct 13, 2009 7:34 PM   in reply to dradeke

Hi Dennis,

Build 20/21 have major important upgrades to the RED camera....it's not just the 4.5K resolution but MAINLY THE NEW "COLOR SCIENCE" that RED has implemented in build 20 that results in better picture quality, better color reproduction in REC 709 and less noise under tungsten....not to mention the new REDCODE 42.....all of those features and benefits are currently not accessible in the adobe workflow but are available in FCP...our studio switched to CS4 because it has such a great RED workflow...but now we are  forced back to FCP because we need those new improvements....

I really hope Adobe will at least support the new features that were introduced in Build 20 sooner than later....Please stay ahead of FCP.....like you did with your previous RED plugin! :-)

|
    Mark as:
    Oct 13, 2009 8:10 PM   in reply to mawlawi

Wouldn't this be up to the folks at RED who produce the Premiere plug-in?

|
    Mark as:
    Oct 14, 2009 7:11 AM   in reply to Jim Simon

Red provides the REDCODE plugin. Adobe writes the actual premiere/AE plugin to support the new REDCODE using the SDK provided by RED.

I'm also hoping they will support the new RED Rocket card....and that is supported by FCP already....  :-/

|
    Mark as:
    Oct 14, 2009 7:31 AM   in reply to mawlawi

Oy vey, doesn't it get a little overwhelming sometimes trying to keep up with all of this?

You just get to finish eating the first leg of the CS4 elephant and the format you work in, and before you turn around twice you've got CS5 and 7 new camera formats to figure out.

So the question is, would we have it any other way? Nahhhh!!

|
    Mark as:
    Oct 14, 2009 7:49 AM   in reply to mawlawi
    Adobe writes the actual premiere/AE plugin

Your source?  I'm not aware that Adobe wrote any third-party plug-ins.  Usually outside companies get the Premiere SDK and write their own plug-ins.

|
    Mark as:
    Oct 14, 2009 8:08 AM   in reply to Jim Simon

Maybe "plugin" is the wrong term..... Adobe implemented ther fulll red workflow in release in 4.1...this was an Adobe code based on the RED SDK.....(just like Adobe eventually supported native P2 MXF support in cs3.1, and then AVCHD etc......those were all made available from Adobe updates and not thrid parties..).....it's now in Adobe's hands again to release support for the new features...RED is providing the REDCODE and the SDK...  Adobe did a fine job in 4.1 and actually beat Apple to the punch with it and made a lot of people buy/switch to cs4 because its RED workflow was way better on the CS suite.... And I really like what Adobe has done with the RED workflow....unfortunately we're back to FCP just so we can take advantage f the new features. Most of us are not asking Adobe to rewrite the way the workflow is set up but mainly to incorporate the new changes in the SDK so it can take advantage of the new debayering algorithm.

|
    Mark as:
    Oct 14, 2009 8:10 AM   in reply to mawlawi

Ah.  That makes more sense.

|
    Mark as:
    Oct 14, 2009 8:15 AM   in reply to mawlawi

I suggest you start reading about SDK's and the like.

this was an Adobe code based on the RED SDK

Who do you think supplies a Software Development Kit, SDK, the original developer of the software, or a third party? That Red supplies the RedCode is normal.

You think Microsoft develops a plug-in for all Office applications, based on a SDK supplied by 'Crazy Bear' ? Get real.

|
    Mark as:
    Oct 14, 2009 8:18 AM   in reply to Harm Millaard

I think you misunderstood, Harm.  RED released an SDK so that various software companies could incorporate support for RED footage into their NLEs.  Adobe used that SDK to add internal support for the footage.  RED then took the Premiere SDK and created the needed plug-in.

|
    Mark as:
    Oct 14, 2009 8:41 AM   in reply to Jim Simon

Yes, thank you Jim for clarifying what I am trying to say.  :-)

I am really not attacking Adobe by all means here. I even said I love their workflow...I am just hoping for an updated support of the new features. (an yes I have already filled a feature request form). I do understand that there are tons of new formats and cameras that pop out every few months.....but that is the nature of this industry...and if Adobe intends to become the leader and take over FCP (which I honestly hope they do as I can't stand FCP anymore after using CS4...) then they need to keep staying ahead of them or at least in par with them.

|
    Mark as:
    Oct 14, 2009 9:11 AM   in reply to mawlawi

Sorry I completely misunderstood.

|
    Mark as:
1 2 3 4 ... 6 Previous Next
Actions

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)