• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

I wish to set up a SSL connection for a Web page

Enthusiast ,
May 18, 2009 May 18, 2009

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I wish to set up a SSL connection for a Web page that has a Flex application inside it.

The only things is that the swf is about 2mb and I am really worried about performance. Do you have any advice?

TOPICS
Advanced techniques

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Advocate , May 18, 2009 May 18, 2009

If you use RSL to externalize parts of the Flex framework or assets into other SWFs, which can be a godsend for large Flex projects, please test carefully in as wide a range of browsers as possible (not just your browsers but get some colleagues or friends to take a look). I've seen odd errors and behaviors from Flex applications deployed in this manner, where the externalized SWFs don't load, etc.

Again, RSLs can be a good choice and, when used properly, significantly reduce the size of your SW

Votes

Translate

Translate
Guru ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Use RSL in your flex app, externalize assets.

Sincerely,

Michael

El 18/05/2009, a las 7:06, nikos101 <forums@adobe.com> escribió:

>

>

>

I wish to set up a SSL connection for a Web page that has a Flex

application inside it.

>

The only things is that the swf is about 2mb and I am really worried

about performance. Do you have any advice?

>

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Advocate ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

If you use RSL to externalize parts of the Flex framework or assets into other SWFs, which can be a godsend for large Flex projects, please test carefully in as wide a range of browsers as possible (not just your browsers but get some colleagues or friends to take a look). I've seen odd errors and behaviors from Flex applications deployed in this manner, where the externalized SWFs don't load, etc.

Again, RSLs can be a good choice and, when used properly, significantly reduce the size of your SWFs, but your users still have to download those SWFs the first time they use the application (they're cached after that -- just like your 2MB SWF will be cached, so this can sort of negate some, not all, benefits of the RSLs).

As for performance, in general a 2MB Flex application isn't that huge, I don't think and, once it's downloaded, it's 'local' to the users browser, so no issue there. The bigger performance issue with SSL is what type and how much data are you moving to and from the application?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Enthusiast ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

plaintext data, and the odd image < than 500kb

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Advocate ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Personally, I wouldn't worry about performance over HTTPS with those specs.

I have a current Flex project that is similar. It'll be about 1-2 MB when finished, probably 1.25-1.5 MB (sits at just under 1 MB now but a few more features have to be added). We're getting all our data from .NET-backed Web Services over HTTPS (the app receives either XML data or ByteArray data, when images are returned).

It moves pretty well and I haven't noticed a difference between HTTP and HTTPS (I test on HTTP and deploy to a staging server that has HTTPS enabled and test further there before we push to the production server).

The only performance issue I found, and it wasn't much better over HTTP, was when grabbing a HUGE data set, that .NET was returning as XML (as opposed to JSON, etc.). Again, I don't know how much of that was XML bloat in general versus being on an encrypted connection (that and I really didn't notice a huge speed increase, if any, under standard HTTP).

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Enthusiast ,
Sep 23, 2009 Sep 23, 2009

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm thinking now:

why even bother with SSL, how can someone figure out my data when I'm using a remote object that uses a AMF binary stream?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Enthusiast ,
Sep 23, 2009 Sep 23, 2009

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Are there any security implications with using the RSL

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Enthusiast ,
Sep 24, 2009 Sep 24, 2009

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I've done this tutorial:

http://labs.adobe.com/wiki/index.php/Flex_3:Feature_Introductions:Flex_3_RSLs

what does upload the files below generated by the compiler do. My app won't run without them?

framework_3.4.0.5348.swf

framework_3.4.0.5348.swz

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Enthusiast ,
Oct 15, 2009 Oct 15, 2009

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

I think the user has to have the specific RSL genererated with your specific SDK. However since there are lots of Flex SDK's out there I think a lot of the time different users will still have to download the whole RSl a fresh.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Resources
Documentation