• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Converting thousand(s) documents from Framemaker to Word(doc/rtf)

Oct 19, 2009 Oct 19, 2009

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Can anyone help me making a macro or use fmbatch, which I understand can be used to repeat action, to convert Framemaker files to Word?

I've got many developers that is going to write user doc and hence I need it in a format which doesnt need Framemaker.

I know I can save as rtf and that works ok, but pressing Shift and Save all open file wont let me change from fm to rtf.

ANyone who knows a way past this problem?

Newbee

Thanks

TOPICS
Structured

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Mentor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Roy,

I believe the application of choice for a job of this scale would be Mif2Go from Omni Systems:

www.omsys.com

However, I'd like to point out that you have other options, perhaps the best being a conversion to XML/DITA, rather than Word. If you convert a thousand pages to Word, you will have converted a thousand pages back in time. That is, you'll be spending lots of time making your files and workflow more obsolete. Better to convert into the future, IMHO.

Russ

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Enthusiast ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Although you could do this with FrameScript, as Russ points out, MIF2go would give you better quality conversion.

And you should do it by organizing the files into books, if they aren't already. You can also create meta-books or pseudo books on a directory basis to speed things up.

Just in passing, the project is unlikely to give you much in the way of documentation. The developers are developers because they want to code, not write. If they haven't done functional specs to describe what they're going to do, they're not likely to write much in the way to describe what they already did.

Cheers,

Art

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines