• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

RH8 Numbering problems

Jul 06, 2009 Jul 06, 2009

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi All,

I've recently upgraded to RH8 from RH6. Previously I did our stepped instructions like so

Example:

"1. Perform the task" using a numbered para style

Then, if say a screen is displayed I used an indented "step follow on" style which wasn't numbered

The xx screen is now displayed.

This typically might be followed by another numbered step. To obtain the correct numbering in RH6 I'd have to format bullets and numbering for the paragraph and set the numbering to the correct value giving me..

2. Perform the next step etc.

When I tried this in RH8 the main menu option of bullets and numbering had gone and the right click menu resulted in the default numbe of 1 vanishing leaving an unumbered paragraph.

What I want to do is:

a. Not screw up my previous files

b. Be able to use separate step and stp follow on paragraphs when documenting stepped procedures.

Please can anyone advise how to solve this problem in RH8?

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It sounds like you need to be looking at multi level numbering. http://www.grainge.org/pages/authoring/rh_tour/index.htm

There have been some reports of problems so I would suggest you back up before you start. I would also suggest you learn how to play with this feature in a new project with just a few topics imported from your live project.

See www.grainge.org for RoboHelp and Authoring tips

Help others by clicking Correct Answer if the question is answered. Found the answer elsewhere? Share it here. "Upvote" is for useful posts.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Many Thanks Peter.

For anyone else's benefit, what I decided to do was to create new styles to use from now on. These use the new list for autonumbering features available in RH8. See Peters website detailed above...

Much to my delight, using this I can now have some stepped instructions with some screens or consequences text in between with out losing the numbering sequence. This is now much more in the style of Framemaker and is a very, very welcome improvement.

By happy coincidence I'm creating a new help system and so will be able to utilise this going forward.  I'm not however going to change our legacy help systems as they're too large and by creating new para styles I should eliminate corrupting material formatted using the previous system. Should I have to update a legacy topic I could then apply the new styles without adverse effect.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Oct 21, 2009 Oct 21, 2009

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Content removed by forum moderator.

Tabby's question was posted in a new thread at the link below. No need for the same question to appear in two threads.

Click here to view...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Resources
RoboHelp Documentation
Download Adobe RoboHelp